Carolina Hurricanes

102,931 Views | 1507 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by DrummerboyWolf
SportManagementEngineer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
dwanna said:

SportManagementEngineer said:

dwanna said:

hokiewolf said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

Im off the ledge a bit, but I want to see some movement. Sara Civians article on the Athletic has some quotes from Don that make the move make sense, but there has to be follow up action in the next week or so or itll just ring hollow.

Overall, I think Dundon is a really good upgrade over Karmanos, but he need to learn quickly that this cant be run like his other businesses. Perception matters in sports and I feel like he hasnt fully grasped that (see negotiations with Don last season, Rod this season)
it's all about who they get as a veteran goal tender. I would think our current D would make the position attractive to free agents.

The only thing I'm a little worried about right now is maybe Hamilton doesn't resign.
From what I have heard/read, I would be really surprised to see Dougie back. He's about to get paid
Actually the market on Dougie is a lot smaller than initially thought. I think the chances he comes back are closer to 50/50 than once expected.

But yes, Dundon is stubborn and really could use some one to help him with contracts- because he has clearly sucked at it. Who knows what would've happened with Aho if Montreal hadn't made him a matchable offer.
Interesting. I haven't seen that. I think there are some bigger names out there as free agents, and teams that miss on the top names might move on to DH.

Maybe the Ned move gives them more money to potentially resign Dougie, but I saw his next contract is probably around $8mil, so I don't know if Canes pony that up. Not sure Dougie gives that big of a discount to stay in town... I absolutely hope it could work out, but not expecting it really.

Guessing more free agent signings around the league pickup after the draft...
If someone offers him $8mil you thank him for his time in Carolina and congratulate him and his agent on getting the deal.
Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
FlossyDFlynt
I think the holdup with Dougie (for all teams) is term, not price. He wants 7 or 8 which no one is giving a 28 year old defensemen. If there were a team willing to give him that, his rights would have already been traded
FlossyDFlynt
As I did on the last page, I will now stick my foot in my mouth

If Seth Jones is getting that kind of deal, you can kiss Dougie goodbye
SportManagementEngineer
FlossyDFlynt said:

As I did on the last page, I will now stick my foot in my mouth

If Seth Jones is getting that kind of deal, you can kiss Dougie goodbye

Just an insane contract. Especially for a team that isn't that close to contending for the Cup.
dwanna
Bean gone for a 2nd...
SportManagementEngineer
I don't really believe the Canes have a plan.
Wolfer79
NHL
2021 NHL Draft, NHL Network Studios, Secaucus, NJ
Rounds 2-7 NHL Network/Sporstnet, 11 a.m.
dwanna
Maybe more hope for Dougie than I thought...

SportManagementEngineer
The Canes are having the worst offseason in professional sports
hokiewolf

They don't seem to be organized with respect to free agency period.
Tootie4Pack
hokiewolf said:

This may be what happens when the owner, who thinks he is the smartest man in the world, tries to pull all of the strings for Waddell as the GM. Another owner who thinks he know more than others who have been involved in this game for decades.
SportManagementEngineer
Tootie4Pack said:

hokiewolf said:

This may be what happens when the owner, who thinks he is the smartest man in the world, tries to pull all of the strings for Waddell as the GM. Another owner who thinks he know more than others who have been involved in this game for decades.
Yup, like I tweeted earlier today: This is what happens when a guy who got rich off subprime auto loans, desperately wants to be Jerry Jones, and doesn't understand the sport buys your franchise.
SportManagementEngineer
A couple of deals from today I do like: Getting young defenseman Ethan Bear for Foegele (who was probably not going to be resigned). And resigning Martinook to a team friendly 3 year deal.

I don't get what we're doing at goalie. We go from a rotation of Reimer, Ned, and Mrazek to a rotation of Anderson and Raanta. Two guys in their 30s, coming off of bad seasons.
dwanna
Sounds like Dougie is gonna get paid by the Devils...
FlossyDFlynt

A couple of deals from today I do like: Getting young defenseman Ethan Bear for Foegele (who was probably not going to be resigned). And resigning Martinook to a team friendly 3 year deal.

I don't get what we're doing at goalie. We go from a rotation of Reimer, Ned, and Mrazek to a rotation of Anderson and Raanta. Two guys in their 30s, coming off of bad seasons.
I think the goalie tandem is fine. Not a huge fan of Andersens number, but whatever. Raanta will end up being the number one if he can stay healthy. Its basically treading water.

Resigning Marty is a move I love. Hes not the best player, but I think hes invaluable in the locker room. There is a reason he has been wearing the A.

Dougie going to NJ for a reported 60ish million for 7 years. Yea, we werent going to be in that neighborhood. Enjoy that awful state Dougie.

If it comes to fruition, I HATE HATE HATE signing Tony DeAngelo. I usually dont have any issues with a character rebuild project, but that guy is human garbage and not even a good player. I dont understand it at all
SportManagementEngineer
FlossyDFlynt said:

I think the goalie tandem is fine. Not a huge fan of Andersens number, but whatever. Raanta will end up being the number one if he can stay healthy. Its basically treading water.

Resigning Marty is a move I love. Hes not the best player, but I think hes invaluable in the locker room. There is a reason he has been wearing the A.

Dougie going to NJ for a reported 60ish million for 7 years. Yea, we werent going to be in that neighborhood. Enjoy that awful state Dougie.

If it comes to fruition, I HATE HATE HATE signing Tony DeAngelo. I usually dont have any issues with a character rebuild project, but that guy is human garbage and not even a good player. I dont understand it at all
Couldn't agree more
SportManagementEngineer
Canes adding a couple more guys:
D. Ian Cole (31), 1 year at $2.9m
LW. Josh Leivo (28), 1 year, $750k
FlossyDFlynt
Cole signing gives the Canes 6 defensemen. I hope that closes the door on Tony
bgr3
FlossyDFlynt said:

If Brady Skjei and Jesper Fast vouch for him thats good enough for me, those guys know him better than you or I do.
FlossyDFlynt
Its not just the fact hes a terrible person, hes just isnt good.

For the ultimate backhanded comparison, I would rather sign Tom Wilson. Wilson is a complete piece of ****, but at least he can back it up
SportManagementEngineer
FlossyDFlynt
Interesting conversation I was having with a couple of hockey friends - what's it gonna take for the Canes to "win" with the DeAngelo signing? I'm just not sure what the production value and rebranding campaign looks like and im not sure its even possible
SportManagementEngineer
FlossyDFlynt said:

Interesting conversation I was having with a couple of hockey friends - what's it gonna take for the Canes to "win" with the DeAngelo signing? I'm just not sure what the production value and rebranding campaign looks like and im not sure its even possible
I'm not sure the answer to that, but he's never been good enough in his career to make you think this is worth the bad press.

It is an undeniable fact that the Canes' lineup is worse today than it was a week ago.
bgr3
FlossyDFlynt said:

Its not just the fact hes a terrible person, hes just isnt good.

For the ultimate backhanded comparison, I would rather sign Tom Wilson. Wilson is a complete piece of ****, but at least he can back it up
Fair enough. I guess we'll see.
FlossyDFlynt
Traveling right now, so catching up on the presser. Ill give him one thing, he said all the right things based on what I read.

I'm still skeptical, but nothing else to be done at this point but wait and see
Wolfer79
caryking
Someone that keeps up with this closely... please share who the additions and subtractions are so far..
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
Cornpack
caryking said:

Someone that keeps up with this closely... please share who the additions and subtractions are so far..

So far...

OUT:
McGinn
Foegele
Mrazek
Reimer
Nedeljkovic
Bean
Hamilton
Paquette
Hakanpaa

IN:
Cole
Bear
Raanta
Andersen
Leivo
DeAngelo
Stepan
Smith
Retired internet funny guy
caryking
Cornpack said:

caryking said:

So far...

OUT:
McGinn
Foegele
Mrazek
Reimer
Nedeljkovic
Bean
Hamilton
Paquette
Hakanpaa

IN:
Cole
Bear
Raanta
Andersen
Leivo
DeAngelo
Stepan
Smith
I don't follow Hockey closely. I thought the bolder names were important. Which player coming is supposed to replace the bolded?

Joe Biden
Cornpack
caryking said:

Cornpack said:

caryking said:

So far...

OUT:
McGinn
Foegele
Mrazek
Reimer
Nedeljkovic
Bean
Hamilton
Paquette
Hakanpaa

IN:
Cole
Bear
Raanta
Andersen
Leivo
DeAngelo
Stepan
Smith
I don't follow Hockey closely. I thought the bolder names were important. Which player coming is supposed to replace the bolded?

Mrazek/Nedeljkovic - Raanta/Andersen
Hamilton - Cole/DeAngelo/Bear
McGinn and Foegele - not necessarily replaced by acquisitions as much as possibly opening up some space for some of the players from the minor league team to come up (guys like Suzuki, Bokk, and Cotton to name a few).

The rest of the acquisitions are mostly depth pieces. Of the guys added, I really like Ethan Bear. We got him by trading Foegele to Edmonton. He is young but it looks like he has a chance to really blossom into a steady top 4 defenseman for us. No one person can replace Hamilton (especially with scoring) but I think he could be a valuable addition to add some reliable defensive responsibility, much in the same style of play as Slavin or Pesce.
Retired internet funny guy
caryking
Cornpack said:

caryking said:

Cornpack said:

caryking said:

So far...

OUT:
McGinn
Foegele
Mrazek
Reimer
Nedeljkovic
Bean
Hamilton
Paquette
Hakanpaa

IN:
Cole
Bear
Raanta
Andersen
Leivo
DeAngelo
Stepan
Smith

Mrazek/Nedeljkovic - Raanta/Andersen
Hamilton - Cole/DeAngelo/Bear
McGinn and Foegele - not necessarily replaced by acquisitions as much as possibly opening up some space for some of the players from the minor league team to come up (guys like Suzuki, Bokk, and Cotton to name a few).

The rest of the acquisitions are mostly depth pieces. Of the guys added, I really like Ethan Bear. We got him by trading Foegele to Edmonton. He is young but it looks like he has a chance to really blossom into a steady top 4 defenseman for us. No one person can replace Hamilton (especially with scoring) but I think he could be a valuable addition to add some reliable defensive responsibility, much in the same style of play as Slavin or Pesce.
Thanks!! Much appreciated as I don't follow hockey closely...

Joe Biden
Wolfer79
Tony Esposito, a goaltending legend and a pioneer of the butterfly goaltending style, has passed away at the age of 78 after a brief battle with pancreatic cancer
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.