Carolina Hurricanes

112,940 Views | 1588 Replies | Last: 22 hrs ago by WolfpackUSC
Civilized
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Massive difference in being down 0-2 vs. coming back to Raleigh tied up.

Gotta get this next one.

We know what WarrenPeace would say about it!
grantwolf
I hate the way these games are being officiated. We knew we had the edge 5v5 (and we clearly do)...but if the refs called a bunch of ticky-tacky ****, we were toast.

The call on Noesen, the non-call on Jarvy being cross-checked in front of the net, leading to Fox punching Guentzel, but then Guentzel getting the retaliation call...just awful. Then the ticky-tack cross-check on Skjei that led to the winning goal was simply embarrassing.

Granted, if we could score on our own power play, we'd be 1-1 or better right now...but still.

Let the guys play and stop making this series about special teams.
Cornpack
2nd best powerplay in the regular season, 0-10 through 2 games. That's a killer.
FlossyDFlynt
We have absolutely got to stop turtling in a close game in the third period in the playoffs. Watching them pass it around the perimeter looking for the perfect shot in the third period/overtimes was just painful and the same thing they have done the last three years.

Also, healthy scratching Kuzy was a horrendous move when Comtois only played six minutes. You cant tell me he wouldnt have helped on the PP
SportManagementEngineer
We need Pesce back soon. Not having him or Fast is forcing us to play a style we're not used to and giving us weird line combinations.

Necas, for one, is totally out of sync with his linemates, and is better served playing on a faster line. The Staal, Fast, Martinook line that has been dominant defensively the last few playoff runs is missing and we don't have an answer for it.
Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
Wolfer79
NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs
Eastern Conference Semifinal
Game 3, PNC Arena, Raleigh, NC
Announcers TNT/truTV/Max: Kenny Albert/Brian Boucher/Jody Shelley//Sportsnet/CBC: Harnarayan Singh/Louie DeBrusk//Shawn McKenzie
New York Rangers at Carolina Hurricanes TNT/truTV/Max/Sportsnet/CBC/TVA Sports, 7 p.m. (Rangers lead series, 2-0)

Western Conference Semifinal
Game 2, American Airlines Center, Dallas, TX
Announcers TNT/truTV/Max: John Forslund/Eddie Olczyk//Kathryn Tappen
Colorado Avalanche at Dallas Stars TNT/truTV/Max/Sportsnet/Sportsnet 360/TVA Sports, 9:30 p.m.
Wlfpk81
i dont think pesce is coming back. i still haven't seen anyone say that hes started skating. if kuzy isn't in the doghouse then i think hes in there tonight.

floss is exactly right. the turtling and trying to cycle out of the lanes is our constant playoff issue. if we just started going right to the goalie, i dont think teams would know what to do and maybe we could get up early. the canes are the only team left that dont play with a finish the check mentality and imo, the reason teams are successful against us in OT. we are beat down and the other team is a little more fresh physically. in the playoffs, thats can be the difference in the game.
Wolfer79
Cornpack
All this ****ing team does is hurt me
SportManagementEngineer
Cornpack said:

All this ****ing team does is hurt me

A little easier to stomach after our Final 4 run but still sucks.
FlossyDFlynt
Civilized
Special teams disparity in this series is bonkers.

So is the Canes record in 1-goal games in the last two postseasons.
engineercoach
Frustrating loss and series so far. Next season is going to look a whole lot different with all the contractors expiring.

Need to look at changing play style as well. How many times do we need to see the playoffs play out the same exact way year after year?
Wolfer79
NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs
Game 3, TD Garden, Boston, MA
Announcers TNT/truTV/Max: Brendan Burke/Darren Pang//Jackie Redmond//Sportsnet/CBC: John Bartlett/Garry Galley//Kyle Bukauskas
Florida Panthers at Boston Bruins TNT/truTV/Max/Sportsnet/CBC/TVA Sports, 7 p.m. (series tied 1-1)

Game 2, Rogers Arena, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Announcers TNT/truTV/Max: Alex Faust/Jennifer Botterill//Nabil Karim//Sportsnet/CBC: Chris Cuthbert/Craig Simpson//Scott Oake
Edmonton Oilers at Vancouver Canucks TNT/truTV/Max/Sportsnet/Sportsnet 360/CBC/TVA Sports, 10 p.m. (Vancouver leads series, 1-0)
SportManagementEngineer
engineercoach said:

Frustrating loss and series so far. Next season is going to look a whole lot different with all the contractors expiring.

Need to look at changing play style as well. How many times do we need to see the playoffs play out the same exact way year after year?

Except this playoff defeat is much different than last year's. We improved the goal scoring and gave up what we did best (defense).

Having Burns, Orlov, and TDA was never a recipe for success. And even with three offensive dmen we still can't buy a PP goal.
engineercoach
SportManagementEngineer said:

engineercoach said:

Except this playoff defeat is much different than last year's. We improved the goal scoring and gave up what we did best (defense).

Having Burns, Orlov, and TDA was never a recipe for success. And even with three offensive dmen we still can't buy a PP goal.
Sure we have improved goal scoring but the power play has been a constant issue in the playoffs. Last playoffs they were around 17% on the PP, in 2022 it was around 13%.

It looks like father time has caught up to Burns. He's had a really rough series. The injury to Pesce has really had a big impact on the defense.
SportManagementEngineer
engineercoach said:

engineercoach said:

Sure we have improved goal scoring but the power play has been a constant issue in the playoffs. Last playoffs they were around 17% on the PP, in 2022 it was around 13%.

It looks like father time has caught up to Burns. He's had a really rough series. The injury to Pesce has really had a big impact on the defense.
100% on Pesce, and Fast as well.

Hell if the PP was at 13% this series we might be up 2-1.
engineercoach

engineercoach said:

engineercoach said:

100% on Pesce, and Fast as well.

Hell if the PP was at 13% this series me might be up 2-1.

Absolutely agree. They're so close to being up in this series, it's just frustrating at this point.
Civilized
engineercoach said:

engineercoach said:

But the power play was awesome in the regular season.

This is like the Braves' bats drying up in the postseason last year after dominating offensively over 162 games. I don't think you go changing the fundamentals that allowed you to dominate the entire regular season just because of what happened in a tiny postseason sample.

That's the playoffs in sports with a lot of randomness. Lot of bad luck (injury and PP that dried up). It sucks but the regular season sample size tells the story much moreso than short playoff series.

Wlfpk81
i put this on tos too but since you guys are discussing as well...

rod has helped make us a perennial contender and he deserves the chance to work it out, but we can not go into next year with the same strategy and system. the problems that we are seeing are the same ones we've seen over and over throughout rods success. we either have to overhaul the roster by almost half or rod has to accept that the system has limitations. a comment i keep hearing is how our style of defense will not win a cup. i assume that means the more man on man style that we run and that the reason we have regular season success is b/c few teams do it and do it well. but for some reason, its not that effective in the post season. offensively, it seems like we are constantly trying to run a specific play and we cycle until we become stagnant. on multiple occasions last night we had chances to go directly to the net but we veered off and went to the dots to set up. so either the we have the wrong players in the right system, which is a gm issue, or we have the right players in the wrong system. my hope is that we keep rod long term and hire a new front office. i do think rod can put in 15-20 years here but he has to be able to admit that something has to change and then advocate from there. if they choose to move on from him, i would understand why but i truly hope they decide to re-build around him.
FlossyDFlynt
Civilized said:

engineercoach said:

engineercoach said:

This is like the Braves' bats drying up in the postseason last year after dominating offensively over 162 games. I don't think you go changing the fundamentals that allowed you to dominate the entire regular season just because of what happened in a tiny postseason sample.

That's the playoffs in sports with a lot of randomness. Lot of bad luck (injury and PP that dried up). It sucks but the regular season sample size tells the story much moreso than short playoff series.

Id buy this argument if this was the first postseason this has been happening. However, its the third year in a row this is happening. Im not smart enough to say what needs to be changed, but something gotta change.
Civilized
FlossyDFlynt said:

Civilized said:

engineercoach said:

engineercoach said:

Id buy this argument if this was the first postseason this has been happening. However, its the third year in a row this is happening. Im not smart enough to say what needs to be changed, but something gotta change.

Your take is rational. Like you, I just don't know what you do about it.

I don't know anything about hockey but using the baseball analogy I still don't know what you do if the Braves dominate at the plate all season again and crap out in the playoffs again. That's why Anthrapolous gets paid the big bucks.
Wolfer79
NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs
Game 4, PNC Arena, Raleigh, NC
Announcers TNT/truTV/Max: Kenny Albert/Brian Boucher/Jody Shelley//Sportsnet/CBC: Harnarayan Singh/Louie DeBrusk/Shawn McKenzie
New York Rangers at Carolina Hurricanes TNT/truTV/Max/Sportsnet/CBC/TVA Sports, 7 p.m. (Rangers lead series, 3-0)

Game 3, Ball Arena, Denver, CO
Announcers TNT/truTV/Max: John Forslund/Eddie Olczyk/Shane Hnidy
Dallas Stars at Colorado Avalanche TNT/truTV/Max/Sportsnet/Sportsnet One/TVA Sports, 10 p.m.
FlossyDFlynt
Gonna take my State early ACC tournament mood into tonight...whatever
Cornpack
LIVE TO DIE ANOTHER DAY!! WHAT A TIME TO FINALLY GET THE FIRST ON THE POWERPLAY THIS SERIES
SportManagementEngineer
Crazier things can happen. I watched a college hoops team win 5 in a row in DC, what's four in a row from one of the best teams in hockey?
Wolfer79
NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs
Game 4, TD Garden, Boston, MA
Announcers TBS/truTV/Max: Brendan Burke/Darren Pang//Jackie Redmond//Sportsnet: John Bartlett/Garry Galley//Kyle Bukauskas
Florida Panthers at Boston Bruins TBS/truTV/Max/Sportsnet/TVA Sports, 6:30 p.m. (Florida leads series, 2-1)

Game 3, Rogers Place, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Announcers TBS/truTV/Max: Alex Faust/Jennifer Botterill//Nabil Karim//Sportsnet/Sportsnet One: Chris Cuthbert/Craig Simpson//Scott Oake
Vancouver Canucks at Edmonton Oilers TBS/truTV/Max/Sportsnet/Sportsnet One/TVA Sports, 9:30 p.m. (series tied 1-1)

Announcers: Liam McHugh/Paul Bissonnette/Anson Carter
NHL on TBS Face Off TBS/truTV/Max, 6 p.m.

NHL on TBS Post Game Show TBS/truTV/Max, midnight
Top Shelf NHL Network, 5 p.m.
NHL Tonight: Playoff Edition NHL Network, 5:30 p.m.
NHL Tonight: Playoff Edition NHL Network, 12:30 a.m. (Monday)
DrummerboyWolf
Canes still have a pulse. Will it be easy? Absolutely not? Goal is still to win just one game and that can be done.

Andersen has been shaky at best in this series and I think he waited too long on going back to Kochetkov. If it wasn't for the way Pyotor played from the middle of December on, this team would not have finished as high as they did.
Wolfer79
NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs
Game 5, Madison Square Garden, New York, NY
Announcers ESPN: Sean McDonough/Ray Ferraro//Emily Kaplan//Sportsnet/CBC: Harnarayan Singh/Louie DeBrusk//Shawn McKenzie
Carolina Hurricanes at New York Rangers ESPN/Sportsnet/CBC/TVA Sports, 7 p.m. (Rangers lead series, 3-1)

Game 4, American Airlines Center, Dallas, TX
Announcers: Mike Monaco/AJ Mleczko//Leah Hextall
Dallas Stars at Colorado Avalanche ESPN/Sportsnet/TVA Sports, 9:30 p.m. (Dallas leads series, 2-1)
Wlfpk81
i would probably roll with PK tonight. with the pressure surrounding this game i would normally say freddie but he didn't handle it well in game 4 so im not sure what to expect tonight. i also think the single most important thing we have to do tonight is score first. if we can withstand that first onslaught and get the crowd out of it, i like out chances.
grantwolf
just figure out a way to win tonight, then all of the pressure switches to New York.

Obviously we're still a long-shot, but every game has been super close, so anything is possible.
Wlfpk81
How did Freddie miss that… Jfc
SportManagementEngineer
Wlfpk81 said:

How did Freddie miss that… Jfc

I'm less mad at Freddie than I am at the dudes in front of them who **** their pants every time we're on the power play.
engineercoach
Must score on the power play to start the third
engineercoach
Hell of a third period. Live to see another day

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.