Carolina Hurricanes

104,926 Views | 1517 Replies | Last: 17 hrs ago by Wolfer79
BBW12OG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does anyone know if they are going to open the gates early for some serious tailgating???

Big Bad Wolf. OG...2002

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
- Thomas Jefferson
TheStorm
DrummerboyWolf said:

Wolfer79 said:

The NHL announces that Game One between the #Canes and Islanders will take place Monday, April 17 at PNC Arena. The game will air on ESPN2 and start at a time TBA.

A full series schedule will be released following the conclusion of Friday's regular season games.
All first round games will also be on Bally Sports South.
I have Spectrum if any of you guys are at the coast and want to watch any of the games.
FlossyDFlynt
SportManagementEngineer said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

TheStorm said:

Two months ago, I saw absolutely zero chance that they could get caught by anybody else in the entire conference (excepting that Boston would stay ahead of them regardless)... man, that got really close - and the Leafs and Rangers were closing fast as well.
The Svech loss is massive. Avoiding the Rangers in the first round is huge, IMO. Much better matchup against the Islanders.

Being honest, Ill be surprised if they make it past the second round given how they have played the last few weeks. But playoff hockey is a different animal, so who knows
Yup, the Svech loss (on top of the Pacioretty loss) kind of doomed the Canes. Still one of the best defensive units in the league, but the inability to score goals and a lack of a stud goalie put a ceiling on this team.

Not to get too far ahead, but Andersen and Raanta are both free agents after this year. Is this the year that the Canes finally make a move for a stud goalie? You've got the roster to say that your list of needs is short enough that you can justify offloading some assets to make a splash.
Think youll see Raanta resign with Pytor backing up to start the year. They signed the Quinnipiac goalie and sent him to Chicago, so I think they will go with one veteran and Pytor to start the year
Feels like that's not an improvement. If Raanta could ever stay healthy I think he is a good # 1, we just haven't seen it yet. I like Pyotr's future with the Canes and glad they locked him up, just don't know if he is there yet.
Not disagreeing with that, but the goalie market this summer is pretty bleak

https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2024/caphit/all/goalies?stats-season=2023

The only way to upgrade would be the trade market and I dont see Waddell paying the price itll take. Feel like another short contract with Raanta might be the best option at this point
SportManagementEngineer
FlossyDFlynt said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

TheStorm said:

Two months ago, I saw absolutely zero chance that they could get caught by anybody else in the entire conference (excepting that Boston would stay ahead of them regardless)... man, that got really close - and the Leafs and Rangers were closing fast as well.
The Svech loss is massive. Avoiding the Rangers in the first round is huge, IMO. Much better matchup against the Islanders.

Being honest, Ill be surprised if they make it past the second round given how they have played the last few weeks. But playoff hockey is a different animal, so who knows
Yup, the Svech loss (on top of the Pacioretty loss) kind of doomed the Canes. Still one of the best defensive units in the league, but the inability to score goals and a lack of a stud goalie put a ceiling on this team.

Not to get too far ahead, but Andersen and Raanta are both free agents after this year. Is this the year that the Canes finally make a move for a stud goalie? You've got the roster to say that your list of needs is short enough that you can justify offloading some assets to make a splash.
Think youll see Raanta resign with Pytor backing up to start the year. They signed the Quinnipiac goalie and sent him to Chicago, so I think they will go with one veteran and Pytor to start the year
Feels like that's not an improvement. If Raanta could ever stay healthy I think he is a good # 1, we just haven't seen it yet. I like Pyotr's future with the Canes and glad they locked him up, just don't know if he is there yet.

https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2024/caphit/all/goalies?stats-season=2023

The only way to upgrade would be the trade market and I dont see Waddell paying the price itll take. Feel like another short contract with Raanta might be the best option at this point
Yeah I was referring to a trade since you'll have the freed up cap space of both goalies and we held onto all of our assets at the trade deadline. The worry for this team moving forward will be the contracts for restricted free agents over the next couple years.
Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
jadawson

FlossyDFlynt said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

TheStorm said:

Yeah I was referring to a trade since you'll have the freed up cap space of both goalies and we held onto all of our assets at the trade deadline. The worry for this team moving forward will be the contracts for restricted free agents over the next couple years.
We have some tough decisions for sure, but also some good news.

The goalie situation is clear above

For defenders the great news is Jake Gardiner is finally off the books this summer which frees up ~4 mil in cap space. We'll let De Haan walk as well but thats a negligible contract. We have Jalen Chatfield on a very cheap deal for another year which is big because i thought he was a very capable 3rd line guy this year and improved a lot over the season. We dont have to make a decision on Skjei or Pesce until next summer, or Slavvin or Burns until 2025.

For forwards, we have a few decisions to make. The big ones being Jordan Staal and Pacioretty. Other than that this summer is just shuffling out 3rd and 4th lines with decisions on Fast, Stastny etc., Id love to add a true ppg winger but idk if we have the assets to do it. 2024 is the big year for forwards with Aho, Teuvo, Martinook, Noesen being UFA's and Necas and Jarvis being RFA's. The good news on that front is i think we'll have the money for both Aho and Necas because to me Teuvo played himself out of a big contract with his drop off this year. He'd need to have a career year next year to me to give him a big deal.
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs
Conference Quarterfinals
Eastern Conference
Game 1, PNC Arena, Raleigh, NC
New York Islanders at Carolina Hurricanes ESPN2 (Mike Monaco/AJ Mleczko//Dom Moore)/Sportsnet 360/TVA Sports 2/MSG SportsNet/Bally Sports South, 7 p.m.

Game 1, TD Garden, Boston, MA
Florida Panthers at Boston Bruins ESPN (Sean McDonough/Ray Ferraro//Emily Kaplan)/CBC/Sportsnet (East/Ontario/Pacific) (John Shorthouse/John Garrett//Caroline Cameron)/TVA Sports/Bally Sports Florida/NESN, 7:30 p.m.

Western Conference
Game 1, American Airlines Arena, Dallas, TX
Minnesota Wild at Dallas Stars ESPN2 (Bob Wischusen/Brian Boucher//Leah Hextall)/Sportsnet 360/TVA Sports 2/Bally Sports North/Bally Sports Southwest, 9:30 p.m.

Game 1, Rogers Place, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Los Angeles Kings at Edmonton Oilers ESPN (John Buccigross/Kevin Weekes//Ryan Callahan)/CBC/Sportsnet (Harnarayan Singh/Louie DeBrusk//Scott Oake)/TVA Sports/Bally Sports West, 10 p.m.
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
DrummerboyWolf
Good win for the Canes tonight in game 1 of the playoffs as they beat the Isles 2-1. Rannta was very solid in goal and he had to be. Sorokin only gave up two power play goals and had no chance at either. He made some great saves to keep the game at 2-1.

Going to be a tough series, but always good to get the first one.
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
SportManagementEngineer
DrummerboyWolf said:

Good win for the Canes tonight in game 1 of the playoffs as they beat the Isles 2-1. Rannta was very solid in goal and he had to be. Sorokin only gave up two power play goals and had no chance at either. He made some great saves to keep the game at 2-1.

Going to be a tough series, but always good to get the first one.

Very typical Canes game. Outshoot their opponent, play tough D, and hang on for a close win because we couldn't get any insurance. Playoff hockey. Great call RBA to start Raanta.
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs
Conference Quarterfinals
Eastern Conference
Game 1, Prudential Center, Newark, NJ
New York Rangers at New Jersey Devils TBS (Kenny Albert/Keith Jones//Jackie Redmond)/Sportsnet 360/TVA Sports 2, 7 p.m.

Game 1, Scotiabank Arena, Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Tampa Bay Lightning at Toronto Maple Leafs CBC/Sportsnet (East/Ontario/Pacific) (Chris Cuthbert/Craig Simpson//Kyle Bukauskas)/TVA Sports/ESPN (Sean McDonough/Ray Ferraro//Emily Kaplan)/Bally Sports Sun, 7:30 p.m.

Western Conference
Game 1, T-Mobile Arena, Paradise, NV
Winnipeg Jets at Vegas Golden Knights ESPN2 (Roxy Bernstein/Kevin Weekes//Linda Cohn)/Sportsnet West (John Bartlett/Garry Galley//Sean Reynolds)/TVA Sports 2/AT&T SportsNet Rocky Mountain, 9;30 p.m.
Game 1, Ball Arena, Denver, CO

Seattle Kraken at Colorado Avalanche ESPN (Bob Wischusen/Brian Boucher//Leah Hextall)/Sportsnet 360/TVA Sports/Root Sports/Altitude, 10 p.m.
TheStorm
Wolfer79 said:

First of all, great for DJ and the Canes...

Second of all, some small part of me wishes that we could have seen the red-headed homewrecker standing there with her skinny-ass back to the camera instead of whoever that was / is now...

Especially after I saw the name R. Cory in that sequence...
Wolfer79
NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs
Conference Quarterfinals

Eastern Conference

Game 2, PNC Arena, Raleigh, NC
New York Islanders at Carolina ESPN2 (Mike Monaco/AJ Mleczko//Dom Moore)/Sportsnet 360/TVA Sports 2/MSG SportsNet/Bally Sports South, 7 p.m. (Carolina leads series, 1-0)

Game 2, TD Garden, Boston, MA
Florida Panthers at Boston Bruins ESPN (Sean McDonough/Ray Ferraro//Emily Kaplan)/CBC/Sportsnet (East/Ontario/Pacific) (John Shorthouse/John Garrett//Caroline Cameron)/TVA Sports/Bally Sports Florida/NESN, 7:30 p.m. (Boston leads series, 1-0)

Western Conference

Game 1, American Airlines Arena, Dallas, TX
Minnesota Wild at Dallas Stars ESPN2 (Bob Wischusen/Brian Boucher//Leah Hextall)/Sportsnet 360/TVA Sports 2/Bally Sports North Extra/Bally Sports Southwest, 9:30 p.m. (Minnesota leads series, 1-0)

Game 2, Rogers Place, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Los Angeles Kings at Edmonton Oilers CBC/Sportsnet (Harnarayan Singh/Louie DeBrusk//Scott Oake)/TVA Sports/ESPN (John Buccigross/Kevin Weekes//Linda Cohn)/Bally Sports SoCal, 10 p.m. (Los Angeles leads series, 1-0)
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Cornpack
2-0 series, boys are buzzing, guys never quit. I want to believe.
Retired internet funny guy
jadawson
Cornpack said:

Teuvo broken wrist and out getting surgery. Down our top 3 wingers.

Need some players to really step up and fix our 5 v 5 offensive stats if we want to win the series from here. We're not giving up zero power plays again after how much Islanders fans are moaning tonight. NHL loves game managing more than the NBA.
DrummerboyWolf
jadawson said:

Cornpack said:

Need some players to really step up and fix our 5 v 5 offensive stats if we want to win the series from here. We're not giving up zero power plays again after how much Islanders fans are moaning tonight. NHL loves game managing more than the NBA.
Rod was asked about that in the post game presser and he said he was pissed. I think it was on the last power play, he said Teuvo got a tomahawk chop across his wrist and it should have been a 5-3. The play on Staal at the end of the first period was a bush league dirty play by Martin. The Canes are beat up right now and it's going to be tough to win any game. Islander fans should not be complaining. They earned every one of those penalties and were lucky it wasn't more.

Slavin's shot to tie it that went of Sorokin's ear and into the next was awesome.
jadawson
DrummerboyWolf said:

jadawson said:

Cornpack said:

Rod was asked about that in the post game presser and he said he was pissed. I think it was on the last power play, he said Teuvo got a tomahawk chop across his wrist and it should have been a 5-3. The play on Stahl at the end of the first period was a bush league dirty play by Martin. The Canes are beat up right now and it's going to be tough to win any game. Islander fans should not be complaining. They earned every one of those penalties and were lucky it wasn't more.

Slavin's shot to tie it that went of Sorokin's ear and into the next was awesome.
Oh i agree, dont get me wrong. I think both sides got away with some calls, but everything that was called on them was a clear call (i mean half of them were double minors for a bloody face from a high stick). I'm just saying the NHL is notorious for game management whether its needed or not.

It was a pretty blatant slash on Teuvo too. A 2 minute minor wouldn't have made up for an injury. Isles know they cant skate with the canes so they are trying to muck it up and make the refs call it.

Here's the slash where Rod says Teuvo was injured:

DrummerboyWolf
jadawson said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

jadawson said:

Cornpack said:

Rod was asked about that in the post game presser and he said he was pissed. I think it was on the last power play, he said Teuvo got a tomahawk chop across his wrist and it should have been a 5-3. The play on Stahl at the end of the first period was a bush league dirty play by Martin. The Canes are beat up right now and it's going to be tough to win any game. Islander fans should not be complaining. They earned every one of those penalties and were lucky it wasn't more.

Oh i agree, dont get me wrong. I think both sides got away with some calls, but everything that was called on them was a clear call (i mean half of them were double minors for a bloody face from a high stick). I'm just saying the NHL is notorious for game management whether its needed or not.

It was a pretty blatant slash on Teuvo too. A 2 minute minor wouldn't have made up for an injury. Isles know they cant skate with the canes so they are trying to muck it up and make the refs call it.

Here's the slash where Rod says Teuvo was injured:

You are absolutely right how the NHL does the game management thing. Hopefully they will penalize Martin for his crap against Jordo. He should have to sit at least one game and get docked some cash, but I doubt it will happen
Wolfer79
NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs
Conference Quarterfinals

Eastern Conference
Game 2, Scotiabank Arena, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Tampa Bay Lightning at Toronto Maple Leafs CBC/Sportsnet (Chris Cuthbert/Craig Simpson//Kyle Bukauskas)/TVA Sports/ESPN (John Buccigross/Kevin Weekes//Ryan Callahan)/Bally Sports Sun, 7 p.m. (Tampa Bay leads series, 1-0)

Game 2, Prudential Center, Newark, NJ
New York Rangers at New Jersey Devils TBS (Kenny Albert/Keith Jones//Jackie Redmond)/Sportsnet 360/TVA Sports 2/MSG Network/MSG SportsNet, 7:30 p.m. (Rangers lead series, 1-0)

Western Conference
Game 2, Ball Arena, Denver, CO
Seattle Kraken at Colorado Avalanche ESPN (Bob Wischusen/Brian Boucher//Leah Hextall)/Sportsnet 360/FX (Canada)/TVA Sports/Root Sports/Altitude, 9:30 p.m.

Game 2, T-Mobile Arena, Paradise, NV
Winnipeg Jets at Vegas Golden Knights CBC/Sportsnet (John Bartlett/Garry Galley//Sean Reynolds)/TVA Sports/TBS (Alex Faust/Eddie Olczyk//Shane Hnidy)/AT&T SportsNet Rocky Mountain, 10 p.m. (Winnipeg leads series, 1-0)
SportManagementEngineer
Losing Turbo is brutal (even if he hasn't been playing well). Its going to be a dog fight to win this series now with some jumbled lines. Aho has to step up.
DrummerboyWolf

Losing Turbo is brutal (even if he hasn't been playing well). Its going to be a dog fight to win this series now with some jumbled lines. Aho has to step up.
Hey Aho scored in both games. Now we can't always count on the Islanders Aho to help us out, but if he chooses to do so, we will take it.
Wolfer79
dwanna
Canes did what they needed to do 1st 2 games.

But losing Turbo is brutal considering the injuries already.

Love to see Necas step up.

To go deep in these playoffs, I think it will take dominant goalie play, and I'm not sure it's there.

But, let's go win game 3!
Wolfer79
NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs
Conference Quarterfinals

Eastern Conference
Game 3, UBS Arena, Elmont, NY
Carolina Hurricanes at New York Islanders TBS (Dave Randorf/Keith Jones//Bryce Salvador)/Sportsnet One/TVA Sports 2/Bally Sports South/MSG SportsNet, 7 p.m. (Carolina leads series, 2-0)
Game 3, FLA Live Arena, Sunrise, FL

Boston Bruins at Florida Panthers TNT (Jim Jackson/Jody Shelley/Jean-Luc Grand-Pierre)/CBC/Sportset (East/Ontario/Pacific) (John Shorthouse/John Garrett/Caroline Cameron)/TVA Sports/NESN/Bally Sports Florida, 7:30 p.m. (series tied 1-1)

Western Conference
Game 3, Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN
Dallas Stars at Minnesota Wild TBS (Randy Hahn/Bret Hedican//Colby Armstrong)/Sportsnet One/TVA Sports 2/Bally Sports Southeast/Bally Sports North, 9:30 p.m. (series tied 1-1)

Game 3, Crypto.com Arena, Los Angeles, CA
Edmonton Oilers at Los Angeles Kings CBC/Sportsnet (Harnarayan Singh/Louie DeBrusk//Scott Oake)/TVA Sports/TNT (John Forslund/Eddie Olczyk/Shane Hnidy)/Bally Sports SoCal, 10 p.m. (series tied 1-1)
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Pregame updates from Rod Brind'Amour:

Frederik Andersen (illness) could have been good enough to dress, but the team will stick with Raanta and Kochetkov as the goalies tonight.

It sounds like Puljujarvi will play, but the lineup may have moving parts

Wolfer79
Wolfer79

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.