Carolina Hurricanes

103,743 Views | 1515 Replies | Last: 18 hrs ago by DJncsu13
Cornpack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
WHOLE NEW SERIES! Loved the intensity they played with tonight. The "want to" factor was there in a way it wasn't for the first two games. Hope Foegele is okay though, can't stand to lose much more of our top 9 with Nino and Troch out.
Retired internet funny guy
SportManagementEngineer
Cornpack said:

WHOLE NEW SERIES! Loved the intensity they played with tonight. The "want to" factor was there in a way it wasn't for the first two games. Hope Foegele is okay though, can't stand to lose much more of our top 9 with Nino and Troch out.
Conversely, the AHL boys (Geekie/Lorentz) played well. Created a few chances, too. If Foegele can't go tomorrow you might see an entire line of AHL guys, assuming McCormick, Bishop or Suzuki is the guy called up. McCormick and Bishop got some run this year with us.
Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
Cornpack
I don't want to totally blame Mrazek but putting 4 goals past Vasilevskiy should be more than enough. Hope we see Ned Tuesday.
Bell Tower Grey
Tough one to lose today. Damn it.
hokiewolf
Cornpack said:

I don't want to totally blame Mrazek but putting 4 goals past Vasilevskiy should be more than enough. Hope we see Ned Tuesday.
I do. RB gambled on Mrazek in Game 4 even though Ned has been the better tender. You gotta back up that faith your coach puts in you but he laid an egg instead and it may turn out to be pivotal in the series. You got to win the games where Vasilevskiy plays poorly
Originator of the Tony Adams Scale
FlossyDFlynt
hokiewolf said:

Cornpack said:

I do. RB gambled on Mrazek in Game 4 even though Ned has been the better tender. You gotta back up that faith your coach puts in you but he laid an egg instead and it may turn out to be pivotal in the series. You got to win the games where Vasilevskiy plays poorly
Mrazek did let in a bad goal, but I put blame solely on the players for taking so many penalties. You simply cannot give a team as talented as Tampa that many advantages and not expect them to capitalize. Its a real shame it happened on a game where Vasilevskiy had a poor performance
Wolfer79
Tuesday
630pm
win or season over
Bell Tower Grey
Clean out your lockers and head home. Good season all for naught. Just not enough horses, and too many injuries at the worst of times.
FlossyDFlynt
Only game we scored more than two goals in regulation, we lost. Not gonna win a cup like that
Cornpack
Waking up this morning, this still stings. That said, brighter days are ahead. We have a young but very deep team and will be competitive for years to come. Hopefully the expansion draft doesn't hurt us too much but I'm sure we will be fine on he other end of it regardless. Go Canes!
dogplasma
I'm not that into hockey, but for a team that I thought was near the top of the league in penalty kills, it seemed like Tampa burned us regularly on penalty plays.
FlossyDFlynt
dogplasma said:

I'm not that into hockey, but for a team that I thought was near the top of the league in penalty kills, it seemed like Tampa burned us regularly on penalty plays.
Helps when you are close to 20 million over the cap (which doesnt exist in the playoffs, but I digress)
Cornpack
Protection lists for the Seattle expansion draft are due this weekend
Cornpack
Some big names around the league available for Seattle. If I was a betting man I'd say we are probably gonna lose Jake Bean but exposing Nino could prove too temping for Seattle to pass up on.
FlossyDFlynt
Cornpack said:

Some big names around the league available for Seattle. If I was a betting man I'd say we are probably gonna lose Jake Bean but exposing Nino could prove too temping for Seattle to pass up on.
Ill be shocked if it isnt Bean. Ron has said cap space is very valuable and I just dont see him taking an expensive(ish) winger with only one year left on his contract. Bean is much younger and cheaper
Cornpack
FlossyDFlynt said:

Cornpack said:

Ill be shocked if it isnt Bean. Ron has said cap space is very valuable and I just dont see him taking an expensive(ish) winger with only one year left on his contract. Bean is much younger and cheaper
I definitely agree. I think it would almost be worth offering a first (or winger prospect) to get them to take Gardiner since our prospect pool for defensemen after Bean (other than maybe Joey Keane who played in the AHL last year) is so empty. We aren't going to take anyone in the late first that will be as good as Bean will be and we can't risk losing all our of our D depth in one offseason.
Wolfer79
The #NHL's 2021-22 regular season schedule that will be released on Thursday includes the 3-week Olympic (and All-Star) break.

There is a second (non-public) schedule that the league has made in case NHL players don't go to Beijing.

Wolfer79
NHL
NHL Expansion Draft, Gas Works Park, Seattle, WA
Seattle Kraken Picks ESPN2/Sportsnet One/TVA Sports, 8 p.m.
Wolfer79
NHL
NHL Expansion Draft, Gas Works Park, Seattle, WA
Seattle Kraken Picks ESPN2/Sportsnet One/TVA Sports, 8 p.m.
FlossyDFlynt
Well, I was wrong

wolfpack1437
FlossyDFlynt said:

Well, I was wrong

I'm not upset about that. Geekie was fine but don't think the top end will ever be there
FlossyDFlynt
Im coming around to it being best case scenario for the Canes. Geekie was solid but can be replaced much easier than Bean. If Dougie walks (more than likely), Bean is a high upside who could potentially move into the top 4. If Dougie does resign, then you have more trade bait.

Pretty happy with how this is turning out
Cornpack
We have to be trading something to Seattle to get them to take Geekie right?
Cornpack
I'll answer my own question

Massive W for us gets even bigger
Cornpack
I am straight up not having a good time rn

dwanna
Cornpack said:

Yeah, I do not really understand this move. Guy had great stats in taking on a larger role last year.

At this point, I guess they stick with Mrazek? He looked great early last year...
FlossyDFlynt
Cornpack said:

Wolfer79
Wolfer79
NHL
2021 NHL Draft, NHL Network Studios, Secaucus, NJ
Round 1 ESPN2/Sportsnet/TVA Sports, 8 p.m.

NHL Now NHL Network, 4 p.m.
NHL Tonight: 2021 Draft Preview NHL Network, 6 p.m.
NHL Tonight: 2021 Draft Round 1 Recap NHL Network, 11 p.m.
SportManagementEngineer
I don't hate selling high on Ned. My issue is that this ownership group seemingly does not understand how to negotiate contracts.

Good thread here from Adam Gold:

FlossyDFlynt
Im off the ledge a bit, but I want to see some movement. Sara Civians article on the Athletic has some quotes from Don that make the move make sense, but there has to be follow up action in the next week or so or itll just ring hollow.

Overall, I think Dundon is a really good upgrade over Karmanos, but he need to learn quickly that this cant be run like his other businesses. Perception matters in sports and I feel like he hasnt fully grasped that (see negotiations with Don last season, Rod this season)
hokiewolf
FlossyDFlynt said:

Im off the ledge a bit, but I want to see some movement. Sara Civians article on the Athletic has some quotes from Don that make the move make sense, but there has to be follow up action in the next week or so or itll just ring hollow.

Overall, I think Dundon is a really good upgrade over Karmanos, but he need to learn quickly that this cant be run like his other businesses. Perception matters in sports and I feel like he hasnt fully grasped that (see negotiations with Don last season, Rod this season)
it's all about who they get as a veteran goal tender. I would think our current D would make the position attractive to free agents.

The only thing I'm a little worried about right now is maybe Hamilton doesn't resign.
dwanna
hokiewolf said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

it's all about who they get as a veteran goal tender. I would think our current D would make the position attractive to free agents.

The only thing I'm a little worried about right now is maybe Hamilton doesn't resign.
From what I have heard/read, I would be really surprised to see Dougie back. He's about to get paid
SportManagementEngineer
dwanna said:

hokiewolf said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

From what I have heard/read, I would be really surprised to see Dougie back. He's about to get paid
Actually the market on Dougie is a lot smaller than initially thought. I think the chances he comes back are closer to 50/50 than once expected.

But yes, Dundon is stubborn and really could use some one to help him with contracts- because he has clearly sucked at it. Who knows what would've happened with Aho if Montreal hadn't made him a matchable offer.
dwanna
SportManagementEngineer said:

dwanna said:

hokiewolf said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

Actually the market on Dougie is a lot smaller than initially thought. I think the chances he comes back are closer to 50/50 than once expected.

But yes, Dundon is stubborn and really could use some one to help him with contracts- because he has clearly sucked at it. Who knows what would've happened with Aho if Montreal hadn't made him a matchable offer.
Interesting. I haven't seen that. I think there are some bigger names out there as free agents, and teams that miss on the top names might move on to DH.

Maybe the Ned move gives them more money to potentially resign Dougie, but I saw his next contract is probably around $8mil, so I don't know if Canes pony that up. Not sure Dougie gives that big of a discount to stay in town... I absolutely hope it could work out, but not expecting it really.

Guessing more free agent signings around the league pickup after the draft...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.