NASCAR 2022/2023 Off Season Thread

88,668 Views | 1360 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bell Tower Grey
TheStorm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TheStorm said:

Not only did that son-of-a-***** Keselowski personally ruin my race for me (William Byron methodically had climbed from a #23 starting position to #3), he also took out Kyle Busch, flipped Harrison Burton and he gets out of it totally unscathed.

Then he purposefully does it exactly the same way again at the end of the race and is totally unapologetic for doing so.

***** should have literally been tarred and feathered for that sht... Reminded me of the time that he took Gordon out of The Chase that year.

Cindric never wins that race without the wreckfest... usually it's some scrub that is responsible for it, but this time it was somebody that should actually be better than that.
Also equally unimpressed with Cindric putting Blaney into the outer wall and then shooting down and doing the same thing to Wallace.

Both cars had a wheel next to him... that's not "blocking"... blocking is when you are clear of the other vehicle.

Blaney should have just gone ahead and dumped him.
Packchem91
TheStorm said:

TheStorm said:

Not only did that son-of-a-***** Keselowski personally ruin my race for me (William Byron methodically had climbed from a #23 starting position to #3), he also took out Kyle Busch, flipped Harrison Burton and he gets out of it totally unscathed.

Then he purposefully does it exactly the same way again at the end of the race and is totally unapologetic for doing so.

***** should have literally been tarred and feathered for that sht... Reminded me of the time that he took Gordon out of The Chase that year.

Cindric never wins that race without the wreckfest... usually it's some scrub that is responsible for it, but this time it was somebody that should actually be better than that.
Also equally unimpressed with Cindric putting Blaney into the outer wall and then shooting down and doing the same thing to Wallace.

Both cars had a wheel next to him... that's not "blocking"... blocking is when you are clear of the other vehicle.

Blaney should have just gone ahead and dumped him.
I don't think there is a driver in the field who wouldn't have blocked in that scenario....its exactly why there is a huge wreck EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR in the last few laps. And why fans love it (unless of course it impacts their driver negatively or allows a driver they don't care for to win).

If it happened at the end of a segment, yeah, should be chastised, but seems completely reasonable at that point. You sure can't lift at that point.
Packchem91
caryking said:

Steve Williams said:

Packchem91 said:

Steve Williams said:

I think Cindric is going to be a force. He's got a good ride and is a helluva driver.
But its just so difficult to know for sure from Daytona. The announcers mentioned several times how a 1-car team could now compete and evidenced by one of the guys up front.....but Daytona and Talladega always have "unheard" of drivers in teh top 10, especially once all the top guys get shredded in wrecks.

Will be real interesting to see now as they go into the next races---is this car going to be better than previous?
Also, will guys like cindric be competitive (I agree with you in general though, he's in a good ride) AND even is a guy like Bubba going to experience a bump from having a full offseason with his team, or was today just teh result of a super speedway?
Good point. Can't help but think of Trevor Bayne.
The 21 car, when Bayne was driving, was not very competitive, as I recall. BTW, why did Bayne just get out of racing (behind the wheel)?
I'd thought it was health-related --- seem to recall he'd had a tick-borne disease and missed a lot or some such.

But according to the link below, his sponsor left teh sport, he didn't have another one lined up, and Roush went with Ryan Newman. Today....doesn't matter how good you are as a driver, you better come with a sponsor.

Where are they now? Catching up with Trevor Bayne | NASCAR

Also, sounds like he turned the change into a positive for his family and business.....and that JGR is going to allow him to drive some Xfinity races this year
Wolfer79
TheStorm said:

Keselowski is going to learn quickly the financial implications of driver wrecking cars as a owner soon.
Wolfer79
Adam Stern

Hendrick Motorsports says its merchandise sales from this past weekend were up 40% from '19 and '20, despite it being a shorter Speedweeks this year. https://t.co/PIVfYVMpWX
caryking
Packchem91 said:

caryking said:

Steve Williams said:

Packchem91 said:

Steve Williams said:

I think Cindric is going to be a force. He's got a good ride and is a helluva driver.
But its just so difficult to know for sure from Daytona. The announcers mentioned several times how a 1-car team could now compete and evidenced by one of the guys up front.....but Daytona and Talladega always have "unheard" of drivers in teh top 10, especially once all the top guys get shredded in wrecks.

Will be real interesting to see now as they go into the next races---is this car going to be better than previous?
Also, will guys like cindric be competitive (I agree with you in general though, he's in a good ride) AND even is a guy like Bubba going to experience a bump from having a full offseason with his team, or was today just teh result of a super speedway?
Good point. Can't help but think of Trevor Bayne.
The 21 car, when Bayne was driving, was not very competitive, as I recall. BTW, why did Bayne just get out of racing (behind the wheel)?
I'd thought it was health-related --- seem to recall he'd had a tick-borne disease and missed a lot or some such.

But according to the link below, his sponsor left teh sport, he didn't have another one lined up, and Roush went with Ryan Newman. Today....doesn't matter how good you are as a driver, you better come with a sponsor.

Where are they now? Catching up with Trevor Bayne | NASCAR

Also, sounds like he turned the change into a positive for his family and business.....and that JGR is going to allow him to drive some Xfinity races this year
Chem, I guess we have to find common ground (Nascar) for us to to be civil with each other...

and, thanks for the info...
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
Bell Tower Grey
Wolfer79 said:

TheStorm said:

Keselowski is going to learn quickly the financial implications of driver wrecking cars as a owner soon.
Let's hope so. Especially his own cars.
Wolfer79
Adam Stern

The Daytona 500 appears to be the most-viewed single sport telecast of the weekend, beating out @Olympics and @NBA All-Star.

NASCAR notes that in 2019, the race did not go up against Olympics and that 2022 share, a slightly different metric than rating, was up 24% from 2019. https://t.co/OrP7VgMpcr
Wolfer79
#NASCAR, @NBCSports announce grassroots racing coverage on @USA_Network this season. https://t.co/pmjoUQfn64
Wolfer79
John Ourand

Q: When will NASCAR start its media rights negotiations?
NASCAR President Steve Phelps:

Listen to the Marchand & Ourand Sports Media podcast here:
Apple: https://t.co/YgPXNbYG7m
Spotify: https://t.co/4OKK6xTkz1
Google: https://t.co/Nhh0qqVcIa https://t.co/BDErr22y12
Wolfer79
Sports Media Watch

Daytona 500 ratings rebound to three-year high, but still historically low.
-- Most-watched single-network sportscast of the week, topping all of NBC's Olympic windows
-- Sunday's most-watched TV show, topping NBA ASG (#2 in all key demos behind NBA)
https://t.co/k35kEUJhj7
ncsupack1
IMO…this is the target numbers. Even though low I believe that the bottom has come and gone. The sport is never going to be a massive draw of viewers. From 2001-2017, was nothing more than a bubble that burst.
Bell Tower Grey
ncsupack1 said:

IMO…this is the target numbers. Even though low I believe that the bottom has come and gone. The sport is never going to be a massive draw of viewers. From 2001-2017, was nothing more than a bubble that burst.
Reading your post I started thinking about it. Even if nascar were to retract back to a Southeastern footprint, similar to how it started, I doubt viewership would change much, if any at all. There are just too many other options for folks to choose from; not to mention the fact that nascar really has suffered from cookie cutter sameness and lack of truly dynamic personalities.
metcalfmafia
Bell Tower Grey said:

ncsupack1 said:

Reading your post I started thinking about it. Even if nascar were to retract back to a Southeastern footprint, similar to how it started, I doubt viewership would change much, if any at all. There are just too many other options for folks to choose from; not to mention the fact that nascar really has suffered from cookie cutter sameness and lack of truly dynamic personalities.
You'd be surprised how many people in the north / midwest watch Nascar.

Nascar, to me at least, has an issue in the metro areas...mainly LA and NY. Hence why they did a preseason race in LA.
Wolfer79
NASCAR penalized two Cup Series teams on Wednesday for losing wheels from their race cars during Sunday's Daytona 500 at Daytona International Speedway. The teams penalized were the No. 31 Kaulig Racing Chevrolet, driven by Justin Haley, and the No. 50 The Money Team Racing Chevrolet, driven by Kaz Grala.

As a result of the safety violations by both teams, there were several suspensions announced. For the No. 31 team, crew chief Trent Owens and crew members Jacob Nelson (front changer) and Marshall McFadden (jackman) will miss the next four championship points events. And for the No. 50 team, crew chief Tony Eury Jr. and crew members Chris Zima (jackman) and Aaron Powell (rear changer) will miss the next four championship events.

NASCAR, which did not issue further penalties to Team Penske and RFK Racing after confiscating wheels from both teams at Daytona, also released a statement in regards to a wheel specification change for Fontana.

Bell Tower Grey
metcalfmafia said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

ncsupack1 said:

You'd be surprised how many people in the north / midwest watch Nascar.

Nascar, to me at least, has an issue in the metro areas...mainly LA and NY. Hence why they did a preseason race in LA.
I understand there are certain areas that are fans. I was thinking back to its foundation. The metropolitan areas are a prime example though of too many other options for folks to spend their time and money on. Granted, the gearheads in those areas would probably tune in, but I doubt there would be a substantial amount of others that would.

I have a feeling nascar has settled into where they will be for a while in the sports viewing market.
ncsupack1
Bell Tower Grey said:

ncsupack1 said:

IMO the tracks are fine. The last car just was way over engineered there for some find that kind of racing boring. Hopefully this new car changes that. We shall see.
Wolfer79
Saturday, Feb. 26
10 a.m., NASCAR Presents Beyond the Wheel, FS1
Noon, NASCAR Xfinity Series practice/qualifying, FS1
1:30 p.m., NASCAR Race Hub Weekend Edition, FS1
2 p.m., NASCAR Cup Series practice/qualifying, FS1
4 p.m. NASCAR Raceday: Xfinity Series Fontana, FS1
5 p.m., NASCAR Xfinity Series Production Alliance 300, FS1

On MRN
2 p.m., NASCAR Cup Series practice/qualifying
4:30 p.m., NASCAR Xfinity Series Production Alliance 300
ncsupack1
With all the problems today in Cup, tomorrow is going to be interesting. Drivers/car were having problems.
Wolfer79
NASCAR
NASCAR Cup Series
Wise Power 400, Auto Club Speedway, Fontana, CA
Race Fox, 3:30 p.m.
NASCAR RaceDay: Fontana FS1, 2 p.m.
NASCAR RaceDay: Fontana Fox, 3 p.m.
caryking
Austin Cindrick getting it done again. A win and a pole. Also, look at the 43 car on the front row. Is this new car really going to change the competition?

Joe Biden
Bell Tower Grey
#2-Austin Cindric won the Busch pole for the WISE Power 400 NASCAR Cup Series race at Auto Club Speedway with speed of 174.647mph for his 1st career pole.

#43-Jones will start second followed by #18-Busch, #11-Hamlin, #16-Hemric, #12-Blaney, #22-Logano, #9-Elliott, #6-Keselowski, and #24-Byron.

#6-Keselowski, #22-Logano, #24-Byron, and #9-Elliott all spun during the final round.

Qualifying consisted of two groups, with the top 5 in each advancing to a second and final round.

36 teams were entered so everyone made the race.

See the complete qualifying results and the WISE Power 400 Starting Lineup.

See complete race information on the Auto Club Speedway Race Page.
ncsupack1
Short term maybe. Long term heck no. The good teams will figure this puppy out.
PossumJenkins
If practice was any indication, it's really gonna change it today cause no one can keep the car pointed straight. That was a whole lot of professional drivers yesterday who didn't look like it. Today could take 6 hours to finish the race.
Wolfer79
Bell Tower Grey
Only breaks that Harrison Burton have caught so far this season have been the bad ones...maybe his luck will change next race. At least Larson held on for the win.

That track wall was snatching cars up into it worse than the Lady in Black.
TheStorm
Bell Tower Grey said:

Only breaks that Harrison Burton have caught so far this season have been the bad ones...maybe his luck will change next race. At least Larson held on for the win.

That track wall was snatching cars up into it worse than the Lady in Black.
I couldn't figure out how a car could get into the wall and get pretty banged up or a tire would shred right in the middle of the track and they allowed everything to stay green until someone wrecked within the next lap or four, due to the previous incident...
Wolfer79
Monday, Feb. 28
6:30 a.m., NASCAR Cup Series: Wise Power 400 at Auto Club Speedway (re-air), FS1
11:30 a.m., NASCAR Xfinity Series Production Alliance 300 (re-air), FS2
2 p.m., NASCAR Cup Series Wise Power 400 (re-air), FS2
6 p.m., NASCAR Race Hub, FS1
9:30 p.m., NASCAR Cup Series: Wise Power 400 at Auto Club Speedway (re-air), FS1

Tuesday, March 1
12:30 a.m., NASCAR Xfinity Series: Production Alliance 300 at Auto Club Speedway (re-air), FS1
5:30 p.m., NASCAR Race Hub, FS1

Wednesday, March 2
5:30 p.m. NASCAR Race Hub, FS1

Thursday, March 3
Midnight, NASCAR Cup Series Wise Power 400 (re-air), FS2
3 a.m., NASCAR Xfinity Series Production Alliance 300 (re-air), FS2
6 p.m., NASCAR Race Hub, FS1

Friday, March 4
4:30 p.m., NASCAR Camping World Truck Series: Practice/Qualifying at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, FS1
6 p.m., NASCAR Race Hub: Weekend Edition Las Vegas, FS1
6:30 p.m., NASCAR Xfinity Series: Practice/Qualifying at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, FS1
8 p.m., NASCAR RaceDay: NCWTS at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, FS1
9 p.m., NASCAR Camping World Truck Series: Victoria's Voice Foundation 200 at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, FS1

On MRN:
8:30 p.m., NASCAR Camping World Truck Series: Victoria's Voice Foundation 200 at Las Vegas Motor Speedway

Saturday, March 5
1 a.m. NASCAR Camping World Truck Series: Victoria's Voice Foundation 200 at Las Vegas Motor Speedway (re-air), FS1
3 a.m., NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Victoria's Voice Foundation 200 (re-air), FS2
6 a.m., NASCAR Race Classics: 1993 Daytona 500 (re-air), FS1
6:30 a.m., NASCAR Xfinity Series: Practice/Qualifying at Las Vegas Motor Speedway (re-air), FS1
8 a.m., NASCAR Camping World Truck Series: Victoria's Voice Foundation 200 at Las Vegas Motor Speedway (re-air), FS1
1:30 p.m., NASCAR Cup Series: Practice at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, FS2
2 p.m. NASCAR Cup Series: Qualifying at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, FS1
3:30 p.m., NASCAR RaceDay: Xfinity Series at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, FS1
4:30 p.m., NASCAR Xfinity Series: Alsco Uniforms 300 at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, FS1 (Canada: TSN2)

On PRN:
4 p.m., NASCAR Xfinity Series: Alsco Uniforms 300 at Las Vegas Motor Speedway

Sunday, March 6
1 a.m., NASCAR Cup Series: Practice/Qualifying at Las Vegas Motor Speedway (re-air), FS1
3 a.m., NASCAR Xfinity Series: Alsco Uniforms 300 at Las Vegas Motor Speedway (re-air), FS1
2 p.m., NASCAR RaceDay: Cup Series at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, FS1
3 p.m., NASCAR RaceDay: Cup Series at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, FOX
3:30 p.m., NASCAR Cup Series: Pennzoil 400 at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, FOX (Canada: TSN5)

On PRN:
2:30 p.m., NASCAR Cup Series: Pennzoil 400 at Las Vegas Motor Speedway
caryking
Anybody want to chime in on the Larson Elliott incident yesterday?

Joe Biden
TheStorm
caryking said:

At that point I was pulling for Larson, but I think he was in the wrong on that one... said he didn't know he was there? Maybe he should have said that he didn't know it was Elliott that was there... that might have been more believable.
Wolfer79
Adam Stern

.@NASCAR remains in talks to bring a street race to @Chicago, and the working goal is to hold the event for the first time next season in 2023, per sources.

The talks are said to be ongoing and complicated, so they could still collapse without a deal. https://t.co/M4vKb5aCPb
caryking
Wolfer79 said:

Adam Stern

.@NASCAR remains in talks to bring a street race to @Chicago, and the working goal is to hold the event for the first time next season in 2023, per sources.

The talks are said to be ongoing and complicated, so they could still collapse without a deal. https://t.co/M4vKb5aCPb
Not excited about this...

Street racing typically isn't great for passing as they set up the width of the track very narrow. Just look at open wheel racing... I'm not expecting much of a difference with NASCAR.

Joe Biden
caryking
TheStorm said:

caryking said:

At that point I was pulling for Larson, but I think he was in the wrong on that one... said he didn't know he was there? Maybe he should have said that he didn't know it was Elliott that was there... that might have been more believable.
thats my same take. BTW, I'm always pulling for both of them (its called socialized race watching) and am happy when either does. That said, Larson should make more comments on the subject (perhaps he has, I'm just not seeing it).

Joe Biden
Bell Tower Grey
]Pennzoil 400]

Las Vegas Motor Speedway

3:30pm/et, Sunday, March 6

TV: FOX

Radio: PRN, SiriusXM

Practice: Sat., Mar 5, 1:302:05pm/et

Qualifying: Sat., Mar 5, 2:053:30pm/et

Latest / Final Entry List

Goodyear Tire Notes

Race Page
Wolfer79
awfulannouncing.com

NASCAR teams may look for a bigger piece of the revenue pie in next media deal https://t.co/RMz1oibp2B https://t.co/f8jciaa8ew

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.