NASCAR 2022/2023 Off Season Thread

88,637 Views | 1360 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bell Tower Grey
Steve Williams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
PossumJenkins said:

Steve Williams said:

TheStorm said:

I fully agree that Phoenix isn't an exciting track, but it is one that doesn't have a lot of wrecks and I guess NASCAR's hope is to have all of the final 4 still running at the end. That's all I can come up with on that venue.

I don't like it though, it wasn't a very exciting race overall. At least Chastain and Bell made it look better than it really was towards the end (Bell first before the last caution, and then Chastain at least finishing third and at least in the picture frame with the leader).

What a disappointment to me though for Logano to end up winning, he comes across as such a geek even when he wins. Just so unlikeable.

Question: those last pit stops under green? Bell first, Chastain a lap later and Logano the lap after that... then the wreck (Bowman?) no more than a few laps after the restart - and everybody comes in again... how much difference in tires is there between those 1 or 2 laps? Wasn't that many laps left either were there? Just asking.

Wonder how one could physically do what happened to Bell's tire changer there at the end?
What happened with the tire changer? I just caught the tail end where it appeared he injured his hand.

Jack man's finger got caught between the wheel and the lug nut when he hung the tire. Changer wrenched down the lug and he was stuck with his finger in there.
Man, that's tough. Appreciate you letting us know.
Bell Tower Grey
PossumJenkins said:

Steve Williams said:

TheStorm said:

I fully agree that Phoenix isn't an exciting track, but it is one that doesn't have a lot of wrecks and I guess NASCAR's hope is to have all of the final 4 still running at the end. That's all I can come up with on that venue.

I don't like it though, it wasn't a very exciting race overall. At least Chastain and Bell made it look better than it really was towards the end (Bell first before the last caution, and then Chastain at least finishing third and at least in the picture frame with the leader).

What a disappointment to me though for Logano to end up winning, he comes across as such a geek even when he wins. Just so unlikeable.

Question: those last pit stops under green? Bell first, Chastain a lap later and Logano the lap after that... then the wreck (Bowman?) no more than a few laps after the restart - and everybody comes in again... how much difference in tires is there between those 1 or 2 laps? Wasn't that many laps left either were there? Just asking.

Wonder how one could physically do what happened to Bell's tire changer there at the end?
What happened with the tire changer? I just caught the tail end where it appeared he injured his hand.

Jack man's finger got caught between the wheel and the lug nut when he hung the tire. Changer wrenched down the lug and he was stuck with his finger in there.
Possum, any word on how he's doing?
Wolfer79
Dale Earnhardt Jr. reveals how NASCAR on NBC crew handled Steve Letarte's emergency appendectomy
"I thought we did a great job considering Steve wasn't there."

https://awfulannouncing.com/nbc/dale-earnhardt-jr-steve-letarte-appendectomy.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
ncsupack1
Overall a pretty good year. Excited to head back to the tracks and watch some racing next year. My boys and I always love to kick it off with the Rolex 24. I know it's not NASCAR but a great way to start . Go Fords!
Wolfer79
.@StewartHaasRcng is replacing @ColeCuster with @RyanPreece_ as the No. 41 Ford driver for the 2023 NASCAR Cup season, per sources, with Custer to go to Xfinity.

ncsupack1
Wolfer79 said:

.@StewartHaasRcng is replacing @ColeCuster with @RyanPreece_ as the No. 41 Ford driver for the 2023 NASCAR Cup season, per sources, with Custer to go to Xfinity.

Wow, I think Ryan will do fine. Will be interesting to look back a year or two from now and see how this plays out. For whatever reason Cole has had some issues since he has come to Cup. SHR, has some big decisions coming up with Harvick and AA retiring in the near future.
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
NASCAR seeking 10-15 percent increase in next deal, per report
NASCAR is seeking an increase of 10-15 percent in its next media rights deal, which would take its annual fee from $820 million to $900-950 million, Front Office Sports reported Friday. Negotiations are expected to begin early next year, with the current deals with Fox Sports and NBC set to expire at the end of the 2024 season. (Front Office Sports 11.18)

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2022/11/lee-corso-return-college-gameday-montana-nfl-sunday-ticket-apple-nascar-rights/
ncsupack1
Wolfer79 said:

NASCAR is seeking an increase of 10-15 percent in its next media rights deal, which would take its annual fee from $820 million to $900-950 million, Front Office Sports reported Friday. Negotiations are expected to begin early next year, with the current deals with Fox Sports and NBC set to expire at the end of the 2024 season. (Front Office Sports 11.18)

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2022/11/lee-corso-return-college-gameday-montana-nfl-sunday-ticket-apple-nascar-rights/

As they should. BTW, some good racing going on in Florence South Carolina…we are locked in with drink in hand…
WarrenPeace
ncsupack1 said:

Wolfer79 said:

As they should. BTW, some good racing going on in Florence South Carolina…we are locked in with drink in hand…

How did that turn out? I know Junior was in this one as well.

BIG ONE in Kenly next Sunday.
ncsupack1
WarrenPeace said:

ncsupack1 said:

Wolfer79 said:

The end got interesting. Got to see a local guy win the trucks.
Glasswolf
WarrenPeace said:

ncsupack1 said:

Wolfer79 said:

How's the racing been at Kenly? I haven't been in years (95)
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

WarrenPeace
Glasswolf said:

WarrenPeace said:

ncsupack1 said:

Wolfer79 said:

They never race there except at Thanksgiving. We're going next Sunday. It's the richest Late Model race ever. $50,000 to win it. 50+ cars

Sold out suites and trackside spots. Should be a good show
Bell Tower Grey
WarrenPeace said:

Glasswolf said:

WarrenPeace said:

ncsupack1 said:

Wolfer79 said:

They never race there except at Thanksgiving. We're going next Sunday. It's the richest Late Model race ever. $50,000 to win it. 50+ cars

Is it completely sold out or are there seats still available?

Side note: if anyone is going, but will be spending Saturday night for the race on Sunday, do yourself a favor and ride down highway 301 South to Micro and have dinner at the Olde Towne Steakhouse. It's a small, family owned place that produces steaks as good as any you'll find. For those that have been to Beefmastor in Wilson, it's along that same line.
WarrenPeace
Bell Tower Grey said:

WarrenPeace said:

Glasswolf said:

WarrenPeace said:

ncsupack1 said:

Wolfer79 said:

Is it completely sold out or are there seats still available?

Side note: if anyone is going, but will be spending Saturday night for the race on Sunday, do yourself a favor and ride down highway 301 South to Micro and have dinner at the Olde Towne Steakhouse. It's a small, family owned place that produces steaks as good as any you'll find. For those that have been to Beefmastor in Wilson, it's along that same line.

Grandstand seats are available I'm sure. I just meant suites and trackside were sold out.
Wolfer79
.@NASCAR finished its 2022 Cup Series season up 4% in viewership from 2021 to an average of 3.04 million.

An increase was expected with an advantageous Daytona 500 comparison this year after last year's race was delayed.

ncsupack1
Up is up…I also believe that more people seemed to be in the stands.
Bell Tower Grey
ncsupack1 said:

Up is up…I also believe that more people seemed to be in the stands.
Seemed to me there were larger crowds, especially at Daytona and Talledega. Some of the smaller venues as well. I didn't see a noticeable change either way at the 1.5s

I just hope this down time allows nascar and the teams to get the safety issues handled in the new car. That is critical to them this coming season, I have to think.
Wolfer79
TheStorm
https://www.charlottemotorspeedway.com/events/speedway-christmas/

Never been. Don't live close enough to the area... I guess it is on some configuration of the Roval because it said 3.75 mile track.
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
BBW12OG
In the "old days.." this time of year was referred to as "NASCAR's Silly Season.."

I hate that the sport that once rivaled the NFL has devolved into what it is today.....

I miss the days where you would see 10k+ at qualifying......
Big Bad Wolf. OG...2002

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
- Thomas Jefferson
ncsupack1
Wolfer79 said:

Cool video. I've pretty much always bought GoodYear.
ncsupack1
BBW12OG said:

In the "old days.." this time of year was referred to as "NASCAR's Silly Season.."

I hate that the sport that once rivaled the NFL has devolved into what it is today.....

I miss the days where you would see 10k+ at qualifying......

I get what you are saying but the product today is so much better…JMO
ncsupack1
Going to watch the Snowball Derby today. Always a good one.
Wolfer79
.@CheddarsKitchen has decided to continue its partnership with Richard Childress Racing and sponsor @KyleBusch in 2023.

: Cheddar's will expand its relationship with the team and buy a greater number of primary paint schemes on the No. 8 Chevy in 2023 than it ran this year.

Wolfer79
ncsupack1
Wolfer79 said:

I like the number. Good to see some sponsors staying.
TheStorm
ncsupack1 said:

Wolfer79 said:

Busch would be absolutely perfect with the old Dale, Sr. color scheme... but I have a feeling that graphic is just a tease that won't manifest itself in reality.
ncsupack1
TheStorm said:

ncsupack1 said:

Wolfer79 said:

Busch would be absolutely perfect with the old Dale, Sr. color scheme... but I have a feeling that graphic is just a tease that won't manifest itself in reality.
Not sure about the color but the number did change.
Wolfer79
NASCAR was born 75 years ago when 'Big Bill' France brought 40 bootleggers to a hotel in Daytona

https://www.espn.com/racing/story/_/id/35246921/nascar-was-born-75-years-ago-today-hotel-daytona
Wolfer79

30 years ago today:
The 1992 Hooters 500 was held at Atlanta.

- Bill Elliott won the race but Alan Kulwicki won the Winston Cup championship over Elliott by 10 points.

- Richard Petty made his final start.

- Jeff Gordon made his Winston Cup debut.

TheStorm
Wolfer79 said:

30 years ago today:

- Bill Elliott won the race but Alan Kulwicki won the Winston Cup championship over Elliott by 10 points.

Wasn't Davey Allison somewhere in the mix going into that final race? May have even been the points leader going in, but can't remember for sure...
ncsupack1
Wolfer79 said:

30 years ago today:

Pretty cool stuff right there. Have always thought that the Hooters car look good, even todays.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.