NASCAR 2022/2023 Off Season Thread

88,665 Views | 1360 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bell Tower Grey
Wolfer79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sunday, May 8
1 a.m., NASCAR Xfinity Series: Mahindra ROXOR 200 at Darlington Raceway (re-air), FS1
6 a.m., NASCAR Xfinity Series: Mahindra ROXOR 200 at Darlington Raceway (re-air), FS2
9 a.m., NASCAR Xfinity Series: Mahindra ROXOR 200 at Darlington Raceway (re-air), FS1
11 a.m., NASCAR Cup Series: Qualifying at Darlington Raceway (re-air), FS1
2 p.m., NASCAR RaceDay: NCS at Darlington, FS1
3:30 p.m., NASCAR Cup Series: Goodyear 400 at Darlington Raceway, FS1

On MRN:
2:30 p.m., NASCAR Cup Series: Goodyear 400 at Darlington Raceway
Bell Tower Grey
Ho-hum race till the last few laps....big wreck took out a lot of cars to make the last few laps interesting. William Byron looked like he had it, then Lagano intentionally knocked him into the wall to steal the win. Byron winds up 13th. And pissed. This little rivalry will continue to boil.
TheStorm
Bell Tower Grey said:

Ho-hum race till the last few laps....big wreck took out a lot of cars to make the last few laps interesting. William Byron looked like he had it, then Lagano intentionally knocked him into the wall to steal the win. Byron winds up 13th. And pissed. This little rivalry will continue to boil.
***** move by Logano. Worst part is that it wasn't even necessary, he could have passed him with only one hand on the wheel. Not pissed that Byron didn't win per se, but I am pissed that Logano had to punt him into the wall and flatten his tires pushing him from a 2nd / 3rd place finish back to 13th.

Then Logano cites some earlier incident that no one else covering the race had any idea what he was talking about.
Wolfer79
Monday, May 9
4:30 a.m., NASCAR Cup Series: Goodyear 400 at Darlington Raceway (re-air), FS1
10 a.m., NASCAR Camping World Truck Series: Dead on Tools 200 at Darlington Raceway (re-air), FS2
Noon, NASCAR Xfinity Series: Mahindra ROXOR 200 at Darlington Raceway (re-air), FS2
2 p.m., NASCAR Cup Series: Goodyear 400 at Darlington Raceway (re-air), FS2
6 p.m., NASCAR Race Hub, FS1
6 p.m., Motormouths, Peacock

Tuesday, May 10
7 p.m., NASCAR Cup Series: DuraMAX Drydene 400 at Dover Motor Speedway (re-air), FS1
11 p.m., NASCAR Cup Series: Goodyear 400 at Darlington Raceway (re-air), FS2

Wednesday, May 11
2 a.m., NASCAR Xfinity Series: Mahindra ROXOR 200 at Darlington Raceway (re-air), FS2
4 a.m., NASCAR Camping World Truck Series: Dead on Tools 200 at Darlington Raceway (re-air), FS2
5:30 p.m., NASCAR Race Hub, FS1

Thursday, May 12

Friday, May 13
8 a.m., NASCAR Camping World Truck Series: 1998 Federated Auto Parts 250 (re-air), FS2
10 p.m., NASCAR Auto Racing Classics: 2005 Daytona 500 (re-air), FS1

Saturday, May 14
6:30 a.m., The Relentless (re-air), FS1
7 a.m., NASCAR Presents: Beyond the Wheel (re-air), FS1
8 a.m., NASCAR Race Hub: Best of Radioactive Kansas, FS1
9 a.m., NASCAR Race Hub: Race Hub Game Night Truck Series Edition (re-air), FS1
10 a.m., NASCAR Camping World Truck Series: 1998 Federated Auto Parts 250 (re-air), FS1
Noon, NASCAR Camping World Truck Series: Qualifying, FS1
1:30 p.m., NASCAR Race Hub: Weekend Edition Kansas, FS1
2 p.m., ARCA Menards Series: Dutch Boy 150 at Kansas Speedway, FS1
5 p.m., NASCAR Cup Series: Qualifying, FS2
7 p.m., NASCAR RaceDay: NCWTS at Kansas Speedway, FS1
8 p.m., NASCAR Camping World Truck Series: Heart of America 200 at Kansas Speedway, FS1

On MRN:
2 p.m., ARCA Menards Series: Dutch Boy 150 at Kansas Speedway
5 p.m., NASCAR Cup Series: Qualifying at Kansas Speedway
7:30 p.m., NASCAR Camping World Truck Series: Heart of America 200 at Kansas Speedway

Sunday, May 15
Midnight, NASCAR Cup Series: Qualifying (re-air), FS1
2 a.m., NASCAR Camping World Truck Series: Heart of America 200 at Kansas Speedway (re-air), FS1
4 a.m., NASCAR Race Hub: Best of Radioactive Kansas (re-air), FS2
5 a.m., ARCA Menards Series: Dutch Boy 150 at Kansas Speedway (re-air), FS2
7 a.m., NASCAR Camping World Truck Series: Heart of America 200 at Kansas Speedway (re-air), FS1
10 a.m., NASCAR Race Hub: Best of Radioactive Kansas Speedway (re-air), FS1
10:30 a.m., NASCAR Cup Series: Qualifying (re-air), FS1
1:30 p.m., NASCAR RaceDay: Kansas Speedway, FS1
3 p.m., NASCAR Cup Series: AdventHealth 400 at Kansas Speedway, FS1

On MRN:
2 p.m., NASCAR Cup Series: AdventHealth 400 at Kansas Speedway
TraCha4
Logano's move was a ***** move.

Kyle Busch needs his ass beat one good time.
TheStorm
TraCha4 said:

Logano's move was a ***** move.

Kyle Busch needs his ass beat one good time.
Well, at least we now know that it is ok to call another driver an idiot and a moron.
caryking
I've never liked Lagano. His boyish looks is a faade to a vindictive person, my opinion. That said, I hope we see some retaliation soon.
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
Packchem91
TheStorm said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

***** move by Logano. Worst part is that it wasn't even necessary, he could have passed him with only one hand on the wheel. Not pissed that Byron didn't win per se, but I am pissed that Logano had to punt him into the wall and flatten his tires pushing him from a 2nd / 3rd place finish back to 13th.

Then Logano cites some earlier incident that no one else covering the race had any idea what he was talking about.
I still think Logono is an example of NASCAR's biggest issue today --- almost all of its best drivers are butt holes that are just not very likeable. Or looking at it the opposite way --- who is a good one to rally around? I wanted to like Chase because I loved his dad, but meh.

Most grew up with $$$ and connections to get to this point, and don't have that blue-collar backgroudn that endears fans.

***And, yes, i hate that he won yesterday and then got out and referenced some wrong that didn't happen.
TraCha4
Packchem91 said:

TheStorm said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

I still think Logono is an example of NASCAR's biggest issue today --- almost all of its best drivers are butt holes that are just not very likeable. Or looking at it the opposite way --- who is a good one to rally around? I wanted to like Chase because I loved his dad, but meh.

Most grew up with $$$ and connections to get to this point, and don't have that blue-collar backgroudn that endears fans.

***And, yes, i hate that he won yesterday and then got out and referenced some wrong that didn't happen.

I think it's too soon to tell with some of the younger drivers but I agree about the unlikeable part as it pertains to the veterans. A large part of those veteran drivers have terrible, ******* attitudes. They spend way too much time *****ing and complaining about everything. It's bad for NASCAR. If they don't like the younger guys coming in and racing hard then they need to retire. If they don't like the new cars then they need to retire.
Bell Tower Grey
I know he came from a racing background and had money behind him, but I really like Harrison Burton. I've been a Wood Brothers fan for years and am excited to see him in the 21. I know Jeff and Kim, and have met Harrison several times - he's a good guy that's easy to like. I hope the struggles he's having now as a rookie in cup will keep him humble as he becomes more successful in the years to come.
PossumJenkins
If you're looking for a guy from a blue collar back ground who didn't come from real money or a racing family, look no further than Ross Chastain. I know he has rubbed some people the wrong way from his aggressiveness, but it's truly because he's had to fight the whole time. Also an AG background which should endear him to this crowd.

The guy spent 5 or so seasons driving $%!# boxes for Johnny Davis and Cup start and parks just to survive in the sport. It is definitely personal because myself and a few others were instrumental in getting him his 3 race Xfinity deal with CGR that put him on the map. Those three races where he should have won Darlington but got dumped from the lead by a pissed off Harvick, won Las Vegas and finished 2nd or 3rd at Richmond are what made Chip hire him. He had 3 shots to get it done and he did.

The back story to that that no one really knows is, we got him that shot because of his work ethic. He used to drive our motorhome to the race track on weekends to make extra money while he was racing at Johnny's. One day between practices he was at our motorhome emptying the tanks and one of the sponsors with us asked us who that was. We explained who and what he was doing and that's how it all started. But truly a great, humble guy.
TraCha4
PossumJenkins said:

If you're looking for a guy from a blue collar back ground who didn't come from real money or a racing family, look no further than Ross Chastain. I know he has rubbed some people the wrong way from his aggressiveness, but it's truly because he's had to fight the whole time. Also an AG background which should endear him to this crowd.

The guy spent 5 or so seasons driving $%!# boxes for Johnny Davis and Cup start and parks just to survive in the sport. It is definitely personal because myself and a few others were instrumental in getting him his 3 race Xfinity deal with CGR that put him on the map. Those three races where he should have won Darlington but got dumped from the lead by a pissed off Harvick, won Las Vegas and finished 2nd or 3rd at Richmond are what made Chip hire him. He had 3 shots to get it done and he did.

The back story to that that no one really knows is, we got him that shot because of his work ethic. He used to drive our motorhome to the race track on weekends to make extra money while he was racing at Johnny's. One day between practices he was at our motorhome emptying the tanks and one of the sponsors with us asked us who that was. We explained who and what he was doing and that's how it all started. But truly a great, humble guy.

Good story. I like Ross and his aggressive style.
Wolfer79
not what I would have thought
thought F1 would be 1.5 times or greater
F1 won 18-49

U.S. motorsports viewership on Sunday:

1) NASCAR Cup Series at Darlington (FS1): 1.45 rating, 2.614 million viewers.
18-49 demographic: 517,000 viewers

2) Formula 1 at Miami (ABC): 1.08 rating, 2.066 million viewers.
18-49 demographic: 735,000 viewers

Wolfer79
F1 Miami Grand Prix on ABC becomes second most-watched F1 race in the US of all time with 2.066M viewers.

It trailed NASCAR's Darlington race on cable (FS1) with 2.614M though the F1 race had more viewers under 50.

15.8M for the Kentucky Derby race window (up from 14.4M last year).

A respectable 1.3M for Sunday morning baseball on NBC. Topped all of the weekends USFL games.

I'll hang up and listen.

Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Friday, May 13
8 a.m., NASCAR Camping World Truck Series: 1998 Federated Auto Parts 250 (re-air), FS2
10 p.m., NASCAR Auto Racing Classics: 2005 Daytona 500 (re-air), FS1
Wolfer79
Saturday, May 14
6:30 a.m., The Relentless (re-air), FS1
7 a.m., NASCAR Presents: Beyond the Wheel (re-air), FS1
8 a.m., NASCAR Race Hub: Best of Radioactive Kansas, FS1
9 a.m., NASCAR Race Hub: Race Hub Game Night Truck Series Edition (re-air), FS1
10 a.m., NASCAR Camping World Truck Series: 1998 Federated Auto Parts 250 (re-air), FS1
Noon, NASCAR Camping World Truck Series: Qualifying, FS1
1:30 p.m., NASCAR Race Hub: Weekend Edition Kansas, FS1
2 p.m., ARCA Menards Series: Dutch Boy 150 at Kansas Speedway, FS1
5 p.m., NASCAR Cup Series: Qualifying, FS2
7 p.m., NASCAR RaceDay: NCWTS at Kansas Speedway, FS1
8 p.m., NASCAR Camping World Truck Series: Heart of America 200 at Kansas Speedway, FS1

On MRN:
2 p.m., ARCA Menards Series: Dutch Boy 150 at Kansas Speedway
5 p.m., NASCAR Cup Series: Qualifying at Kansas Speedway
7:30 p.m., NASCAR Camping World Truck Series: Heart of America 200 at Kansas Speedway
Wolfer79
NASCAR
NASCAR Camping World Truck Series
Heart of America 200, Kansas Speedway, Kansas City, KS
Qualifying FS1, noon
Race FS1, 8 p.m.

NASCAR RaceDay: NCWTS Setup FS1, 7 p.m.

NASCAR Cup Series
AdventHealth 400, Kansas Speedway, Kansas City, KS
Qualifying FS2, 5 p.m.
ncsupack1
I'm a fan of Kansas, that track has begun to find its groove. Ready for the trucks tonight.
Wolfer79
Sunday, May 15
Midnight, NASCAR Cup Series: Qualifying (re-air), FS1
2 a.m., NASCAR Camping World Truck Series: Heart of America 200 at Kansas Speedway (re-air), FS1
4 a.m., NASCAR Race Hub: Best of Radioactive Kansas (re-air), FS2
5 a.m., ARCA Menards Series: Dutch Boy 150 at Kansas Speedway (re-air), FS2
7 a.m., NASCAR Camping World Truck Series: Heart of America 200 at Kansas Speedway (re-air), FS1
10 a.m., NASCAR Race Hub: Best of Radioactive Kansas Speedway (re-air), FS1
10:30 a.m., NASCAR Cup Series: Qualifying (re-air), FS1
1:30 p.m., NASCAR RaceDay: Kansas Speedway, FS1
3 p.m., NASCAR Cup Series: AdventHealth 400 at Kansas Speedway, FS1

On MRN:
2 p.m., NASCAR Cup Series: AdventHealth 400 at Kansas Speedway
Wolfer79
NASCAR
NASCAR Cup Series
AdventHealth 400, Kansas Speedway, Kansas City, KS
Race FS1, 3 p.m.
NASCAR RaceDay: Kansas Speedway FS1, 1:30 p.m.
Bell Tower Grey
Rain last night and this morning in Kansas. Green track. New car. Let's see how things go today at the track that loves 4 .
ncsupack1
Great race yesterday. To bad more people weren't there to see it.
Wolfer79
Monday, May 16
4:30 a.m., NASCAR Cup Series: AdventHealth 400 at Kansas Speedway (re-air), FS1
11 a.m., ARCA Menards Series: Dutch Boy 150 at Kansas Speedway (re-air), FS2
1 p.m., NASCAR Camping World Truck Series: Heart of America 200 at Kansas Speedway (re-air), FS2
3 p.m., NASCAR Cup Series: AdventHealth 400 at Kansas Speedway (re-air), FS2
7 p.m., NASCAR Cup Series: AdventHealth 400 at Kansas Speedway (re-air), FS1

Tuesday, May 17
1 a.m., NASCAR Cup Series: AdventHealth 400 at Kansas Speedway (re-air), FS2
4 a.m., ARCA Menards Series: Dutch Boy 150 at Kansas Speedway (re-air), FS1

Wednesday, May 18
4:30 a.m., NASCAR Camping World Truck Series: Heart of America 200 at Kansas Speedway (re-air), FS1
7 p.m. One Hot Night: The 1992 NASCAR All-Star Race at Charlotte Motor Speedway (re-air), FS1
9 p.m., NASCAR Cup Series: AdventHealth 400 at Kansas Speedway (re-air), FS2

Thursday, May 19
Midnight, NASCAR Camping World Truck Series: Heart of America 200 at Kansas Speedway (re-air), FS2

Friday, May 20
4 p.m., NASCAR Camping World Truck Series: Qualifying at Texas Motor Speedway, FS1
5:30 p.m. NASCAR Race Hub: Weekend Edition Texas, FS1
6 p.m., NASCAR Xfinity Series: Qualifying at Texas Motor Speedway, FS1
7:30 p.m., NASCAR RaceDay: NCWTS at Texas Motor Speedway, FS1
8:30 p.m., NASCAR Camping World Truck Series: SpeedyCash.com 220 at Texas Motor Speedway, FS1
11 p.m., NASCAR Xfinity Series: Qualifying at Texas Motor Speedway (re-air), FS1

On MRN:
8 p.m. ET, NASCAR Camping World Truck Series: SpeedyCash.com 220 at Texas Motor Speedway

Saturday, May 21
9 a.m., NASCAR Xfinity Series: Qualifying at Texas Motor Speedway (re-air), FS2
10:30 a.m., NASCAR Camping World Truck Series: SpeedyCash.com 220 at Texas Motor Speedway (re-air), FS2
12:30 a.m., NASCAR Camping World Truck Series: SpeedyCash.com 220 at Texas Motor Speedway (re-air), FS1
4:30 a.m., NASCAR Race Hub: Best of Radioactive All-Star, FS1
5 a.m., One Hot Night: The 1992 NASCAR All-Star Race at Charlotte Motor Speedway (re-air), FS1
6 a.m., NASCAR Camping World Truck Series: SpeedyCash.com 220 at Texas Motor Speedway (re-air), FS1
1 p.m., NASCAR RaceDay: NXS at Texas Motor Speedway, FS1
1:30 p.m., NASCAR Xfinity Series: Texas 250 at Texas Motor Speedway, FS1
7 p.m., NASCAR Cup Series: Qualifying at Texas Motor Speedway, FS1

On PRN:
1 p.m., NASCAR Xfinity Series: Texas 250 at Texas Motor Speedway

On MRN:
7 p.m., NASCAR Cup Series: Qualifying at Texas Motor Speedway

Sunday, May 22
1 a.m., NASCAR Xfinity Series: Texas 250 at Texas Motor Speedway (re-air), FS1
3 a.m., NASCAR Cup Series: Qualifying at Texas Motor Speedway (re-air), FS1
6 a.m., NASCAR Xfinity Series: Texas 250 at Texas Motor Speedway (re-air), FS2
3 p.m., NASCAR Cup Series: Qualifying at Texas Motor Speedway (re-air), FS1
5 p.m., NASCAR RaceDay: NCS All-Star Race at Texas Motor Speedway, FS1
5:30 p.m., NASCAR Cup Series: All-Star Open, FS1
7:30 p.m., NASCAR RaceDay: NCS All-Star Race at Texas Motor Speedway, FS1
8 p.m., NASCAR Cup Series: All-Star Race at Texas Motor Speedway, FS1

On MRN:
5:30 p.m., NASCAR Cup Series: All-Star Race at Texas Motor Speedway
Packchem91
ncsupack1 said:

I agree, I thought it was entertaining. I'm not sure I'd ever watched a Kansas race before.
Hate that a Busch won, but besides that it was good to watch.
TheStorm
Packchem91 said:

ncsupack1 said:

I agree, I thought it was entertaining. I'm not sure I'd ever watched a Kansas race before.
Hate that a Busch won, but besides that it was good to watch.
I didn't mind that Kurt Busch won (it had been a damn, long time for him)... and at least he passed Larson clean just like Logano could / should have done with Byron the week before.

The only races thus far this year that I didn't really care for the racing itself have been the Clash and Bristol Dirt... everything else, I've really enjoyed! Have probably watched more this year already than last year for the entire season. Helps when you have someone to pull for that is good again as well...
Bell Tower Grey
Halfway through the season, here is how things stand:

CUP SERIES PLAYOFF STANDINGS AFTER KANSAS
Race 13 of 26 in the regular season

1) #24-William Byron [2 wins], 415
2) #1-Ross Chastain [2 wins], 407
3) #9-Chase Elliott [1 win], 475
4) #18-Kyle Busch [1 win], 417
5) #22-Joey Logano [1 win], 396
6) #48-Alex Bowman [1 win], 386
7) #5-Kyle Larson [1 win], 376
8) #14-Chase Briscoe [1 win], 300
9) #2-Austin Cindric [1 win], 291
10) #45-Kurt Busch [1 win], 283
11) #11-Denny Hamlin [1 win], 267
12) #12-Ryan Blaney, 423
13) #19-Martin Truex Jr., 400
14) #20-Christopher Bell, 359
15) #4-Kevin Harvick, 335
16) #10-Aric Almirola, 322
Below the Playoff cutoff:
17) #3-Austin Dillon, 311
18) #8-Tyler Reddick, 300
19) #43-Erik Jones, 290
20) #99-Daniel Suarez, 273

See the Driver Points Standings and Owner Points Standings.
TheStorm
If it keeps trending like this, that 1 win isn't going to guarantee one a spot in the playoffs is it?... or do they just expand the field to include everyone that won?

They've never had to deal with it before, I don't think... still might not happen - but just six more first time winners would do the trick!
Bell Tower Grey
Per Jayski:

Playoffs Explanation
  • The NASCAR Cup Series playoffs consist of 16 drivers.
  • The regular season points leader qualifies for the playoffs, even if they don't have a win.
  • Additional drivers automatically qualify for the playoffs with a win (as long as there are no more than 16 winners) in the first 26 races.
  • Any playoff positions not filled with a race winner are filled based on point standings.
  • There are 4 rounds of playoffs:
    • Round of 16: Darlington, Richmond, Bristol
    • Round of 12: Las Vegas, Talladega, Charlotte
    • Round of 8: Kansas, Texas, Martinsville
    • The Championship race at Phoenix
  • A win during a playoff race automatically advances the driver to the next round.
  • The bottom 4 drivers at the end of each round are eliminated.
  • The highest finishing driver at Homestead is the Champion. Playoff drivers do not earn any stage points at Homestead.
ncsupack1
Bell Tower Grey said:

Per Jayski:

Playoffs Explanation
  • The NASCAR Cup Series playoffs consist of 16 drivers.
  • The regular season points leader qualifies for the playoffs, even if they don't have a win.
  • Additional drivers automatically qualify for the playoffs with a win (as long as there are no more than 16 winners) in the first 26 races.
  • Any playoff positions not filled with a race winner are filled based on point standings.
  • There are 4 rounds of playoffs:
    • Round of 16: Darlington, Richmond, Bristol
    • Round of 12: Las Vegas, Talladega, Charlotte
    • Round of 8: Kansas, Texas, Martinsville
    • The Championship race at Phoenix
  • A win during a playoff race automatically advances the driver to the next round.
  • The bottom 4 drivers at the end of each round are eliminated.
  • The highest finishing driver at Homestead is the Champion. Playoff drivers do not earn any stage points at Homestead.

Could get interesting, but I think it slows here soon.
Packchem91
TheStorm said:

If it keeps trending like this, that 1 win isn't going to guarantee one a spot in the playoffs is it?... or do they just expand the field to include everyone that won?

They've never had to deal with it before, I don't think... still might not happen - but just six more first time winners would do the trick!
I know there is always a debate about which is better for attracting fans in any sport -- having complete parity or having a couple of dominant teams.....but especially because I don't really have a driver right now, I rather enjoy this notion of pretty much any of the top 20 cars could win any given race.

Versus a couple of years ago where Hamlin / Harvick won about half the races between them (but, IIRC, neither won the championship??)
TraCha4
I agree. I like the fact that anyone in the top 20 could win each week. I think it's been more exciting. Definitely been more exciting when it comes to family race pool we do each week.
Bell Tower Grey
NASCAR All-Star Race

Texas Motor Speedway
Sunday, May 22

Open: 5:30pm/et (green flag: 5:33pm/et)

All-Star Race: 8:00pm/et (green flag: 8:13pm/et)

TV: FS1
Radio: PRN, SiriusXM

Pactice / Qualifying: 7:00pm/et, Sat., May 21. TV-FS1

All-Star Race:
Qualifying Order
Crew Rosters
Entry List
Goodyear Tire Notes

Open Race:
Qualifying Order
Crew Rosters
Entry List
Goodyear Tire Notes

Race Page
Wolfer79
Friday, May 20
4 p.m., NASCAR Camping World Truck Series: Qualifying at Texas Motor Speedway, FS1
5:30 p.m. NASCAR Race Hub: Weekend Edition Texas, FS1
6 p.m., NASCAR Xfinity Series: Qualifying at Texas Motor Speedway, FS1
7:30 p.m., NASCAR RaceDay: NCWTS at Texas Motor Speedway, FS1
8:30 p.m., NASCAR Camping World Truck Series: SpeedyCash.com 220 at Texas Motor Speedway, FS1
11 p.m., NASCAR Xfinity Series: Qualifying at Texas Motor Speedway (re-air), FS1

On MRN:
8 p.m. ET, NASCAR Camping World Truck Series: SpeedyCash.com 220 at Texas Motor Speedway
Wolfer79
Filed to ESPN: Next Gen Swiss Army cars, the youth movement, parity galore, and all the other stuff we've learned as #NASCAR
hits the halfway point of the regular season.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.