NASCAR 2022/2023 Off Season Thread

88,786 Views | 1360 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bell Tower Grey
Wolfer79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
NASCAR's The Pace Lap will return to MAVtv in 2022, with a new time slot of Thursday night/Friday morning at 1am ET/10pm PT.

https://t.co/O4xDEZfU6V
ncsupack1
Would love to see something like this. I personally think it would be a hit.
Wolfer79
Team Penske will use fully electric Freightliner eCascadia to get the No. 2 from Penske Truck and Leasing in Ontario to theColiseum for Clash. Penske is spotlighting electric vehicles and Freightliner's eCascadia will be the first electric trailer at a race in #NASCAR history. https://t.co/S4phl7QLrB
Wolfer79
Filed to ESPN: From horse tracks and airports to ballparks and NFL stadiums, ahead of this weekend's #BuschLightClash at the L.A. Coliseum, let's take a look back at #NASCAR's history of racing at weird venues.

https://twitter.com/ESPNMcGee/status/1489612535972175889?t=6ZGTOv7M7BBHBVKI-5YCSw&s=19
Bell Tower Grey
Getting close, boys....

Busch Light Clash at the Coliseum
Los Angeles Coliseum

6:00pm/et, Sunday, February 6

TV: FOX
Radio: MRN, SiriusXM

Practice: 12:30-2:30pm/et. Saturday, Feb 5. TV: FS2

Qualifying: 8:00pm/et, Saturday Feb 5. TV: FS1

Heat Races and Last Chance Qualifying Races: 3:00pm/et, Sunday, Feb 6. TV: Fox
Wolfer79
NASCAR bet more than $1 million to bring cars into Coliseum

https://twitter.com/Nascar_News/status/1489711874522304516?t=bVXSrYWgmfXjO-pl-Fo_BA&s=19
ncsupack1
Can't wait. Plan on watching all that I can this weekend. IMO....This is going to be great!
Wolfer79
Adam Stern

.@StevePhelps on the future of stadium races: 'As of right now, things are trending incredibly positively, but we'll take a step back [after Sunday] and see whether we want to return to the Coliseum next year or potentially somewhere else domestically or internationally.'

https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/1489720518475403265?t=_FbRH9Ke2tcu6mveFzY5nA&s=19
Bell Tower Grey
Welp, practice has started. All I can say so far is that it's going to be very interesting. The track, and listening and watching the cars on it, reminds me some of Hickory Motor Speedway.....anyone that has ever been to a race there knows how much fun that can be.

The next gen cars, with their numbers forward, look good.

I'm excited to see some racing!
Bell Tower Grey
Appears to be only a handful there to watch qualifying. Somewhat surprising.
ncsupack1
Really looking forward to the heat races today and the main event tonight. I hate to say it, but I wouldn't be surprised to see some big names go home later today. I'm concerned for my driver. lol
Wolfer79
NASCAR
NASCAR Cup Series
The Clash, Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, Los Angeles, CA
Heats and Qualifiers Fox, 3 p.m.
Main Event Fox, 6 p.m.
caryking
Wolfer79 said:

NASCAR
NASCAR Cup Series
Main Event Fox, 6 p.m.
Wolfer, are the 3:00 races on big Fox, like the main event?
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
Bell Tower Grey
caryking said:

Wolfer79 said:

NASCAR
NASCAR Cup Series
Main Event Fox, 6 p.m.
Wolfer, are the 3:00 races on big Fox, like the main event?
Heat Races and Last Chance Qualifying Races: 3:00pm/et, Sunday, Feb 6. TV: Fox

Bell Tower Grey
Busch Light Clash at the Coliseum qualifying results page.

Heat Race Lineups

Paint Schemes
Bell Tower Grey
I know he can't help it, but michael waltrip's oozing gayness is too much right now. I realize nascar is all about embracing diversity, but this guy is trying way too hard.
ncsupack1
Bell Tower Grey said:

I know he can't help it, but michael waltrip's oozing gayness is too much right now. I realize nascar is all about embracing diversity, but this guy is trying way too hard.

I always turn the tv volume down and either listen to MRN or PRN. Much information and just better.
caryking
Bell Tower Grey said:

Michael Waltrip is Gay? No!

Joe Biden
Bell Tower Grey
Knew when Harrison Burton went into the 21 car that I was going to be a fan since I have always liked the Wood Brothers....

Ryan Priess and Ty Dillon both best get ready because their happy asses have drawn a line in the asphalt already.
Everpack
Had to record the days events and just finished the clash. Good stuff; from the heats to LCQ to the main. New cars don't look bad. Kudos to NASCAR for setting up something different for this event.

Stock cars are meant for short tracks. I can't believe someone like Tony Stewart hasn't put their money and reputation out there for a new top of the line series that just focuses on short tracks. Similar cars to these with no tracks over 1 mile. Run every weekend just like today with heat races and mains.

Also, NASCAR car sponsors suck these days. Who wants to cheer for a car sponsored by gutter guards or a damn online mortgage company?
Bell Tower Grey
Turned out to be another short track beat and bang fest. The last few laps were typical of a 1.5 mile track, with the top two cars stretched out from the rest, that is until they quickly ran up on lap traffic. Keselowski over Rowdy at the end.

I guess nascar got what they wanted and that is prehaps new sets of eyes on their product. Will they continue to be fans? Who knows?

Definitely not enough today to give any opinion on the new cars. Daytona should definitely be more entertaining and informative. At least I hope so.
Bell Tower Grey
Everpack said:

Also, NASCAR car sponsors suck these days. Who wants to cheer for a car sponsored by gutter guards or a damn online mortgage company?
They are like any other business, they have to get as much money from anywhere as they possibly can.

Long gone are the days of big sponsorships from the likes of RJReynolds, other major tobacco companies, STP, etc..
Tootie4Pack
Everpack said:

Had to record the days events and just finished the clash. Good stuff; from the heats to LCQ to the main. New cars don't look bad. Kudos to NASCAR for setting up something different for this event.

Stock cars are meant for short tracks. I can't believe someone like Tony Stewart hasn't put their money and reputation out there for a new top of the line series that just focuses on short tracks. Similar cars to these with no tracks over 1 mile. Run every weekend just like today with heat races and mains.

You answered your own question regarding a new top of the line series of just short tracks …
Money. Money from sponsors. The advertising and marketing game has changed dramatically, and NASCAR will never have the big bucks thrown at it like it was decades ago.

Is still a very good sport that I have followed for most of my life. But it has certainly changed in a way that some still enjoy watching it and others have just lost interest.
ncsupack1
Everpack said:

He has series called SRX. I thought the race weekend was great. It's non-points race so who cares about the entertainment side of it. I've seen some complaints about this. But overall, I thought the cars and racing was great.
ncsupack1
Bell Tower Grey said:

Everpack said:

They are like any other business, they have to get as much money from anywhere as they possibly can.

Long gone are the days of big sponsorships from the likes of RJReynolds, other major tobacco companies, STP, etc..
There are still a few big name sponsors, ie...Busch, Smithfield, Kroger to name a few. It's the cost that these teams are wanting is what's keeping some big names out or just leaving. The cost needs to come down. imo
Wolfer79
Monday, Feb. 7
4 a.m., NASCAR Presents: Beyond the Wheel (re-air), FS1
5 a.m., NASCAR Race Classic: 1993 Daytona 500 (re-air), FS1
5:30 a.m., NASCAR Auto Racing: Clash at the Coliseum (re-air), FS1
12:30 p.m., NASCAR Presents: Beyond the Wheel (re-air), FS2
1:30 p.m., NASCAR Auto Racing: Clash at the Coliseum (re-air), FS2
6 p.m., NASCAR Race Hub, FS1
9 p.m., NASCAR Auto Racing: Clash at the Coliseum (re-air), FS1

Tuesday, Feb. 8
1 a.m., NASCAR Auto Racing: Clash at the Coliseum (re-air), FS1
3 a.m., NASCAR Presents: Beyond the Wheel (re-air), FS1
5:30 p.m., NASCAR Race Hub, FS1
7 p.m., NASCAR Presents: Beyond the Wheel (re-air), FS2
8 p.m., NASCAR Race Classic: 1998 Daytona 500 (re-air), FS2
8:30 p.m., NASCAR Auto Racing: Clash at the Coliseum (re-air), FS2

Wednesday, Feb. 9
3:30 p.m., NASCAR Auto Racing: Clash at the Coliseum (re-air), FS2

Thursday, Feb. 10
3 a.m., NASCAR Auto Racing: Clash at the Coliseum (re-air), FS2
5 a.m., NASCAR Presents: Beyond the Wheel (re-air), FS2

Friday, Feb. 11
TheStorm
I mean damn guys... the hype was good and I understand what they were trying to do, but the racing itself absolutely sucked. I'd much rather watch these cars on a real track next year.

This could have been a really exciting start to the new car and they got the part right that they probably felt that they needed to the most, but the racing product just was not there whatsoever.
ncsupack1
TheStorm said:

I mean damn guys... the hype was good and I understand what they were trying to do, but the racing itself absolutely sucked. I'd much rather watch these cars on a real track next year.

This could have been a really exciting start to the new car and they got the part right that they probably felt that they needed to the most, but the racing product just was not there whatsoever.
I thought the racing was okay. I didn't know what the teams would do with a new car/new track. IMO...It's going to take a few races this year for these teams to feel the car out.
Steve Williams
Staff
I actually thought it was pretty entertaining. The final LCQ race was really good IMO. Pissed that Ty Dillon got DQ'ed. He drove his tail off and wrecked half the field to win that heat but hey, that's what I watch for.
TheStorm
I watched it all too. 2nd LCQ race was I guess what some were hoping the entire deal would be like, but I guess I just would have rather watched the new cars on a real track and seen some real racing... highlight of the entire day might have been the crowd shots during Ice Cube's set at "halftime" of the main feature.
caryking
I watched it all and enjoyed it all; however, let's move on to Daytona!!!

Joe Biden
Steve Williams
Staff
TheStorm said:

I watched it all too. 2nd LCQ race was I guess what some were hoping the entire deal would be like, but I guess I just would have rather watched the new cars on a real track and seen some real racing... highlight of the entire day might have been the crowd shots during Ice Cube's set at "halftime" of the main feature.
That was hilarious.
ncsupack1
Steve Williams said:

TheStorm said:

That was hilarious.
Yes, it was. That was something.
WarrenPeace
I still like to go to local short tracks if I get a free Saturday night. Seeing the big boys on a quarter mile was cool for me. I enjoyed it.
ciscopack
Don't keep up with things that closely but I watched the whole night race and some of the earlier stuff. Knew nothing about Hailey and the new team but I liked how he drove and was pulling for him. Tough luck on having the 5 think you were gouging him, when the 24 was pushing. I'd have liked to see what he could do cleanly; I think he was competitive for the win.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.