NASCAR 2022/2023 Off Season Thread

88,540 Views | 1360 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bell Tower Grey
metcalfmafia
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just a really weird announcement in general.
Bell Tower Grey
Wolfer79 said:

NEWS: Denny Hamlin announces Tyler Reddick will be a "future member" of 23XI Racing starting in 2024.

Truly bizarre announcement....a season and a half away. Have to imagine Reddick is out of RCR before then; no way I'd keep an employee around that told me "yeah, it's been good working here, but I'll be taking a new job with another company in a year and a half."

We would be in my office immediately. I'd be writing a two week severance check, collecting his / her keys and other company items, and sending their happy ass on out the door.
Glasswolf
Bell Tower Grey said:

Wolfer79 said:

NEWS: Denny Hamlin announces Tyler Reddick will be a "future member" of 23XI Racing starting in 2024.

Truly bizarre announcement....a season and a half away. Have to imagine Reddick is out of RCR before then; no way I'd keep an employee around that told me "yeah, it's been good working here, but I'll be taking a new job with another company in a year and a half."

We would be in my office immediately. I'd be writing a two week severance check, collecting his / her keys and other company items, and sending their happy ass on out the door.
Problem with that is TR and the 8 team are in the playoffs. They fire him now they probably aren't in the playoffs. Now if the team gets eliminated after the round of cuts, then fire him
Bell Tower Grey
Gotcha. What a conundrum. Just another reason to continue disliking Hamlin.
Packchem91
Bell Tower Grey said:

Wolfer79 said:

I don't think they would immediately, but no way do you go into '23 with a lame duck guy? How do you invest $$ into that effort if he's your driver then? Or I guess you find your own Nationwide "driver of the future" who you put in a couple of starts in 23 and he inherits the care in 24?

Also interesting what this implies for 23 Racing. They can't even field a competent pit crew for both existing cars.....now they add a 3rd? Or is Busch retiring?
ncsupack1
Wow talk about a wild afternoon. Will be interesting to see how this thing with TRD and RCR, I personally don't see how they keep Tyler another year. Crazy.
Bell Tower Grey
Maybe Busch and Darrell are both out the door? Lots of possibilities there.

For anyone that knows, could they add another team under their charter, or will they have to buy a charter to add on?
ncsupack1
Will have to buy a charter. Which makes this odd…could drive the price up.
Packchem91
Bell Tower Grey said:

For anyone that knows, could they add another team under their charter, or will they have to buy a charter to add on?
I'd suppose with Wallace, it depends on whether his sponsorship money is still good. If its not...he could be in trouble. But would you hire someone two years out for that? Seems more likely you either know someone else is leaving, or you are going 3rd team (but then, where does that $$ come from)
Bell Tower Grey
Packchem91 said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

I'd suppose with Wallace, it depends on whether his sponsorship money is still good. If its not...he could be in trouble. But would you hire someone two years out for that? Seems more likely you either know someone else is leaving, or you are going 3rd team (but then, where does that $$ come from)
That's what I'm wondering....where is the money coming from? Certainly, jordan can afford it, but does he really want to? Neither Busch nor Wallace have actually performed like they were seemingly expected to. Looking at the big picture, I guess this is the norm for nascar because you never know what to expect next from there - from the top on down.

Certainly going to be interesting to see the immediate and long term fall out from this.
PossumJenkins
Glasswolf said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

Wolfer79 said:

Problem with that is TR and the 8 team are in the playoffs. They fire him now they probably aren't in the playoffs. Now if the team gets eliminated after the round of cuts, then fire him

Don't know his current deal….but bigger bigger problem with that is Reddick brings money. Or did
PossumJenkins
Bell Tower Grey said:

Packchem91 said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

That's what I'm wondering....where is the money coming from? Certainly, jordan can afford it, but does he really want to? Neither Busch nor Wallace have actually performed like they were seemingly expected to. Looking at the big picture, I guess this is the norm for nascar because you never know what to expect next from there - from the top on down.

Certainly going to be interesting to see the immediate and long term fall out from this.

Denny is definitely out shopping for a 3rd charter. As is Mark's at trackhouse. And Dale Jr keeps poking around. I could certainly see Nascar adding a few to the pot once they figure out the new TV deal and how much money they'll have to divide up
caryking
PossumJenkins said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

Packchem91 said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

Denny is definitely out shopping for a 3rd charter. As is Mark's at trackhouse. And Dale Jr keeps poking around. I could certainly see Nascar adding a few to the pot once they figure out the new TV deal and how much money they'll have to divide up
Dale Jr fielding a team or two would be the best thing for the sport. I'm already watching every weekend; however, the energy, for me would be back, like it was when Jr drove.

I pull for the 1, 7, 8, and 9 on Saturdays! To me Sam Mayer would be a guy I'd bring forward to the bigs if I was Jr.
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
Wolfer79
PossumJenkins said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

Packchem91 said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

thank you
Bell Tower Grey
Possum, where is the Trackhouse money coming from? I've been impressed with their results so far with a brand new team. Scary to think about them adding another team and having that car in the mix also, right out of the hauler.
metcalfmafia
Bell Tower Grey said:

Possum, where is the Trackhouse money coming from? I've been impressed with their results so far with a brand new team. Scary to think about them adding another team and having that car in the mix also, right out of the hauler.
Justin Marks' father Michael is a multi multi millionaire. Has been an executive for many companies and also a part owner of the Golden State Warriors.

So Justin comes from money and Pitbull (singer) is also an owner of Trackhouse.
PossumJenkins
As Metcalf said, Justin's dad has done extremely well for himself. Was even the interim CEO at Tesla for a short while a long time ago. His dad is involved with PE/VC firms. They also get some of the companies they fund to become partners. It's why the go kart track in Mooresville is called Go Pro Motorplex.

As far as Pitbull goes...I can promise you he's not putting any money in to the team. If there's money going any direction, it's out to him. It was only done as a way to raise the profile of the team. As an interesting aside, Tony Robbins was initially contacted to play that role.

I have some thoughts on Trackhouse's early success. I have a lot of really close friends over there, have known Justin for quite awhile and close with Ross. So I'll just say I'm pulling for them and I hope the breaks keep going their way.
Bell Tower Grey
Thank you and metcalf. Interesting background. I like seeing their success.

I'm disappointed that Harrison hasn't had much good with the Wood Brothers so far this season. I knew he'd struggle, but didn't expect it to be this bad.
Wolfer79
Friday, July 15
12:30 a.m., Austin Dillon's Life in the Fast Lane (re-air), USA Network
5 p.m., NASCAR Xfinity Series: Practice/Qualifying at New Hampshire Motor Speedway, USA Network
6:30 p.m., NASCAR Race Hub, FS1
6:30 p.m., NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour: Jersey Shore 150 at Wall Stadium Speedway (re-air), USA Network
7 p.m., NASCAR Race Hub, FS1
7:30 p.m., Austin Dillon's Life in the Fast Lane (re-air), USA Network
TheStorm
Hey Cary! How's Austin Dillon's reality show?

I haven't had a chance to take it in yet... can you give a quick summary of all the episodes so far?
ncsupack1
It was on during a rain delay, honestly haven't watched it since. It was different.
Wolfer79
.@SunTimes editorial board: "As the mayor's office moves toward signing a contract with [@NASCAR], we're waving the caution flag. Given Chicago's precarious financial state, the city must make some money out of this deal."

Wolfer79
.@TyDillon is out @PettyGMS after this season.

@NoahGragson is among the team's top targets to fill the ride, per sources.

metcalfmafia
Come on. Anyone but that little punk Gragson.
Wolfer79
Saturday, July 16
Noon, NASCAR Cup Series: Qualifying at New Hampshire Motor Speedway, USA Network
1:30 p.m., Austin Dillon's Life in the Fast Lane (re-air), USA Network
2:30 p.m., NASCAR Xfinity Series: Ambetter Get Vaccinated 200 at New Hampshire Motor Speedway, USA Network
5 p.m., IMSA SportsCar Championship: Northeast Grand Prix, USA Network

On PRN:
2 p.m., NASCAR Xfinity Series: Crayon 200 at New Hampshire Motor Speedway
Wolfer79
Auto Racing
Camping World SRX Series
Week 5, I-55 Raceway, Pevely, MO
Race CBS, 8 p.m.
caryking
TheStorm said:

I haven't had a chance to take it in yet... can you give a quick summary of all the episodes so far?
I haven't watched it… Austin definitely has a trophy wife.

Joe Biden
caryking
PossumJenkins said:

As Metcalf said, Justin's dad has done extremely well for himself. Was even the interim CEO at Tesla for a short while a long time ago. His dad is involved with PE/VC firms. They also get some of the companies they fund to become partners. It's why the go kart track in Mooresville is called Go Pro Motorplex.

As far as Pitbull goes...I can promise you he's not putting any money in to the team. If there's money going any direction, it's out to him. It was only done as a way to raise the profile of the team. As an interesting aside, Tony Robbins was initially contacted to play that role.

I have some thoughts on Trackhouse's early success. I have a lot of really close friends over there, have known Justin for quite awhile and close with Ross. So I'll just say I'm pulling for them and I hope the breaks keep going their way.
Possum, I'm really starting to like Ross. He appears to be the kind of person that keeps to himself and tries not to be all caught up in the nascar thing.

How is he as a person?

Joe Biden
TheStorm
caryking said:

TheStorm said:

LOL. I was trying to be facetious.

I would never watch it.
Wolfer79
caryking said:

TheStorm said:

so was Brooke Sealey Gordon
caryking
Wolfer79 said:

caryking said:

TheStorm said:

Yea, whatever happened to her? Wasn't she a nascar groupie girl, before Jeff?

Joe Biden
Glasswolf
caryking said:

Wolfer79 said:

caryking said:

TheStorm said:

Yea, whatever happened to her? Wasn't she a nascar groupie girl, before Jeff?
She was a Winston Girl. That was where JG met her
PossumJenkins
caryking said:

PossumJenkins said:

Possum, I'm really starting to like Ross. He appears to be the kind of person that keeps to himself and tries not to be all caught up in the nascar thing.

How is he as a person?
Ross is pretty much how you see him each day. There's really no pretense. It's funny you ask. I worked in the sport for 12-13 years or so, and while I don't anymore, just the last couple years or so..I'm still very close to a ton of people who are still in it. It's something we all see...drivers come in with one personality and as they find some success and everyone tells them how amazing they are...they change. I have literally watched it happen with almost each one of them and being close enough with a number of them to see it as it evolves. A few of us had multiple conversations with Ross...that if he ever went down this path...we'd just kill him. Haha...We were actually at a concert a few weeks ago and people are starting to notice him and wanted pics and what not...and his manager and I were both laughing with him about the "not changing" conversations.

I think a lot of that was PTSD from watching it happen so often but also just because Ross really was/is a humble, hard working kid. There were definitely some dark times. I wasn't around Ross his first few years in the trucks at Brad's, but met him in the rough times when he was piecing things together driving for Johnny Davis and start and parks in the Cup series.

I think I've told the story hear how he drove our bus to and from the race tracks those years to make money...and that's how one of the sponsors we worked with saw him dumping our water in between practices in his firesuit and how we got the funds to get him the 3 race tryout at Ganassi that launched his career...albeit after already 4-5 years in the sport..

But one other convo I remember having was just before that. He was thinking of giving it up and going back to work on their family farm in Florida. Not because he didn't think he could do it or didn't want to chase his dream, but because he felt selfish that he was up here doing this and his family was digging a living out of the dirt and he wasn't there to help them. That's who he is.
caryking
PossumJenkins said:

caryking said:

PossumJenkins said:

How is he as a person?
Ross is pretty much how you see him each day. There's really no pretense. It's funny you ask. I worked in the sport for 12-13 years or so, and while I don't anymore, just the last couple years or so..I'm still very close to a ton of people who are still in it. It's something we all see...drivers come in with one personality and as they find some success and everyone tells them how amazing they are...they change. I have literally watched it happen with almost each one of them and being close enough with a number of them to see it as it evolves. A few of us had multiple conversations with Ross...that if he ever went down this path...we'd just kill him. Haha...We were actually at a concert a few weeks ago and people are starting to notice him and wanted pics and what not...and his manager and I were both laughing with him about the "not changing" conversations.

I think a lot of that was PTSD from watching it happen so often but also just because Ross really was/is a humble, hard working kid. There were definitely some dark times. I wasn't around Ross his first few years in the trucks at Brad's, but met him in the rough times when he was piecing things together driving for Johnny Davis and start and parks in the Cup series.

I think I've told the story hear how he drove our bus to and from the race tracks those years to make money...and that's how one of the sponsors we worked with saw him dumping our water in between practices in his firesuit and how we got the funds to get him the 3 race tryout at Ganassi that launched his career...albeit after already 4-5 years in the sport..

But one other convo I remember having was just before that. He was thinking of giving it up and going back to work on their family farm in Florida. Not because he didn't think he could do it or didn't want to chase his dream, but because he felt selfish that he was up here doing this and his family was digging a living out of the dirt and he wasn't there to help them. That's who he is.
I like the guy! He needs to be him and really not change his racing style. A lot people are saying he needs to clean it up; however, Dale Jr, on his podcast want him to be him…

Joe Biden
Wolfer79
caryking said:

PossumJenkins said:

caryking said:

PossumJenkins said:

How is he as a person?

I like the guy! He needs to be him and really not change his racing style. A lot people are saying he needs to clean it up; however, Dale Jr, on his podcast want him to be him…

thank you

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.