NASCAR 2022/2023 Off Season Thread

88,505 Views | 1360 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bell Tower Grey
TheStorm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Well, I watched all of it and wasn't switching back and forth to the golf as much as I normally do... but that probably had a lot to do with my car being in contention most of the day. I know that Byron has to try to make that move at that point, but it was just enough to get Blaney into just a tiny bit of Chase, and then the race gods gave him the ultimate punishment. Can't blame it on anybody else though at that point.

To me, it's a shame that they don't use more (at least a longer portion) of the oval than they do... and I don't like the short pitting becoming such the determining factor like it always seems it is on the road courses.

Definitely too many road race courses again this year, and we still have Watkins Glen and Nashville left.

Oh, and that Chastain definitely has a screw loose... I know that some here like that kind of **** from him, but I do not...
Wolfer79
Monday, August 1
7:30 a.m., NASCAR Camping World Truck Series: TSport 200 at Indianapolis Raceway Park (re-air), FS2
6 p.m., NASCAR Race Hub, FS1
6 p.m., NASCAR America Motormouths, Peacock
7 p.m., NASCAR Auto Racing Classics: 1994 Brickyard 400, FS1

Tuesday, August 2
4 a.m., ARCA Menards Series: Reese's 200 (re-air), FS2
10 a.m., NASCAR Camping World Truck Series: TSport 200 at Indianapolis Raceway Park (re-air), FS2
Noon, NASCAR Presents Beyond the Wheel, FS2
1 p.m., The NASCARcade, FS2
7 p.m., Refuse to Lose: Jeff Gordon and the 1997 Daytona 500, FS1

Wednesday, August 3
6 p.m., NASCAR America Motormouths, Peacock
7 p.m., NASCAR Race Hub Best of Radioactive: 2022 Season, FS1

Thursday, August 4
1:30 a.m., ARCA Menards Series: Reese's 200 (re-air), FS2
3:30 a.m., NASCAR Camping World Truck Series: TSport 200 at Indianapolis Raceway Park (re-air), FS2
5:30 p.m., NASCAR Race Hub, FS1
6 p.m., Dale Jr. Download, Peacock
9:31 p.m., Austin Dillon's Life in the Fast Lane: Plenty of Pit Stops, USA Network

Friday, August 5
12:33 a.m., Austin Dillon's Life in the Fast Lane: Plenty of Pit Stops (re-air), USA Network
1 p.m., NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour: Clash at Claremont 150, USA Network
7 p.m., NASCAR Race Classic: 1998 Daytona 500, FS1
9 p.m., NASCAR Race Classic: 1994 Brickyard 400, FS2

Saturday, August 6
3 p.m., Countdown to Green, USA Network
3:30 p.m., NASCAR Xfinity Series: New Holland 250 from Michigan, USA Network, NBC Sports App
6 p.m., NASCAR Xfinity Series post-race show, USA Network

On MRN:
12:30 p.m., NASCAR Cup Series: Pole Qualifying
3 p.m., NASCAR Xfinity Series: New Holland 250
6:30 p.m., ARCA Menards Series: Henry Ford Health 200

Sunday, August 7
Noon, IMSA Auto Racing, USA Network
12:30: NASCAR RaceDay, FS1
2:30, Countdown to Green, USA Network
3 p.m., NASCAR Cup Series FireKeepers 400 from Michigan, USA Network, NBC Sports App
6 p.m., NASCAR Cup Series post-race show, USA Network

On MRN Radio:
2 p.m., NASCAR Cup Series FireKeepers 400
PossumJenkins
TheStorm said:

Well, I watched all of it and wasn't switching back and forth to the golf as much as I normally do... but that probably had a lot to do with my car being in contention most of the day. I know that Byron has to try to make that move at that point, but it was just enough to get Blaney into just a tiny bit of Chase, and then the race gods gave him the ultimate punishment. Can't blame it on anybody else though at that point.

To me, it's a shame that they don't use more (at least a longer portion) of the oval than they do... and I don't like the short pitting becoming such the determining factor like it always seems it is on the road courses.

Definitely too many road race courses again this year, and we still have Watkins Glen and Nashville left.

Oh, and that Chastain definitely has a screw loose... I know that some here like that kind of **** from him, but I do not...

Nashville? Road course? May wanna check the schedule.

Admittedly he's a friend…but what would you have Ross do? Pile it in 8 wide in turn 1 and do exactly what you just *****ed about Byron doing? He checked up briefly…realized there was no chance of getting through turn 1…and then used the access road.

As was stated earlier…the 11 did it, no penalty and Stevie mentioned on the broadcast he'd look at telling his driver to do it. Poor overall setup from Nascar
TheStorm
I wasn't *****ing about Byron making that move whatsoever... he has to make it, but just didn't work out for him. Basically by mere inches does he help the 12 get into Chase who then turns up right in front of him... wasn't going to matter for the win though, Reddick was by far and away the best car out there for the major bulk of the day. Glad Blaney got a good finish as well, ran a good race and it would have sucked for him to have gotten taken out during that deal.

I'll apologize for my comments since he's a friend of yours, but he was involved in 3-4 incidents again yesterday, about like any other week with him... not just that stunt there at the end (and then he almost takes Reddick out too).

Biggest problem yesterday though is that there wasn't enough track width to handle these restarts...
TheStorm
I must be misunderstanding about Nashville then. I just heard the promo yesterday about driving across a bridge and assumed it was a road course. Maybe they were talking about Xfinity...
PossumJenkins
Blaney finished 26th…and was absolutely furious at the BS that was those final restarts. If you have a straightaway start where cars can go 8 wide and a first turn they can only go two wide…you're gonna get what you get.

No need to apologize. I'm a big boy and so is Ross. Not everyone has to like it. He races aggressively and clearly isn't gonna stop. At the same time i think some of criticism is unwarranted. He got pissed at the 11 in St Louis when he was clearly faster than him and couldn't get around him for 8 laps (cause no one could pass there)…and either did a poor job of trying to move him or just flat out dumped him. Since then, every move he makes is under a microscope…i don't think really anything since then has been nearly as bad as everyone has made it out to be.

Think about this. If he's on the outside 5 wide there on the last restart and try's to turn in, he either ends up on the grass and who knows what happens, or door slams AJ and then it's "the Ross Chastain idiot again"…not really a winner in that scenario.
PossumJenkins
Indy car racing the streets of Nashville
TheStorm
So, Blaney got taken out on the next restart after Byron's wreck then... I guess I was already mentally checked out already over Byron and was only watching the two cars all alone at the end. I didn't even see how your guy got up there to begin with, and I was thinking where the hell did he come from - until they started talking about it.
caryking
I think NASCAR need some clarity on Chastain's move. The escape lane is there for a reason, he used it. What was he supposed to do? not make a move earlier, on the straight away?

Once again, a governing body has got in the way of good sports competition, as far as I am concerned.

BTW, I'm down at my house at the beach and we were having a big storm. The dang news cut away for the weather and I missed the restart where Chase got hit... I guess I should be pissed, because it was a radar indicated tornado. I probably would have been pissed if they didn't do it at another time...
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
TheStorm
Yeah, radar picked up a possible tornado in one of the large uninhabited areas of Camp LeJeune (range, maneuver area)... never made it to the river though apparently.
metcalfmafia
My problem is why does it take two laps for NASCAR to determine that Chastain's move was illegal?
caryking
metcalfmafia said:

My problem is why does it take two laps for NASCAR to determine that Chastain's move was illegal?
It would have been a heck of a mess if Chastain and Reddick got together and knocked them both out... Especially, since Chastain was technically not supposed to be there, based on the ruling, after the fact...

What a cluster?

Joe Biden
caryking
So, Chastain gets booted all the way to 27th position... What a screwed up situation...

Joe Biden
Glasswolf
caryking said:

So, Chastain gets booted all the way to 27th position... What a screwed up situation...
I was under the assumption that the move he made was allowed by NASCAR? Didn't another driver do the same thing earlier in the race? Hamlin maybe?
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

Glasswolf
metcalfmafia said:

Why does it take NASCAR so long to do anything?
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

TheStorm
LOL. Just watch it for yourself... there was nothing accidental about what he did. See that dark blue flash purposefully blow right past that corner?

Packchem91
TheStorm said:

I think Ross will be good for NASCAR though --- and this comes from a guy who hated, and still hates, Kyle Busch, who also was involved in a # of on-track skirmishes his first year.

Clearly, i know neither guy in person, but just from their interviews, Busch was a ******. Period. I think he's lightened up some with maturity, but he was easily hateable. Ross comes across as a good ol' boy type who's just out there having fun, and messed up a little bit. I think it's why fans have flocked to him like they have, including ones who hated Busch for doing the same types of things.

As for the race yesterday, other than restarts and that crazy, unsustainable first turn, it was boring.
PossumJenkins
TheStorm said:

LOL. Just watch it for yourself... there was nothing accidental about what he did. See that dark blue flash purposefully blow right past that corner?

If you can't tell he's initially on the brakes...I don't know what to tell you. Someone who isn't on the brakes at all, looks like the 5 did taking out the 42
Wolfer79
.@RaceTeamAllianc for the first time now counts every organization that owns a charter as a member.

Teams to join in the last year or so are Trackhouse, Front Row, Kaulig and Rick Ware.

Wolfer79
.@JimmieJohnson: "Even the IndyCar fulltime schedule is a bit of a stretch. This year with IndyCar and IMSA I'm at 21 races and I'm feeling a little more busy than I want to be." https://t.co/D3l31iX6XI
Wolfer79
.@NLL today is naming @StewartHaasRcng President Brett Frood as its new Commissioner.

Frood will move into a consulting role for SHR and his job won't be directly replaced; Brian McKinley becomes SHR Chief Sales Officer, while Greg Zipadelli becomes Chief Competition Officer. https://t.co/kYeEiSIC67
TheStorm
Of course I can see that he is on the brakes... and I can also see that he is going the same speed pretty much as everybody else, as they are braking before the turn... until he decides to punch it about 5 car lengths before the turn and try to see if he can get away with going around everyone else.

I'd love to see that replay from above. That would be really fascinating.
Wolfer79
Motorsports viewership last weekend:

1) NASCAR Cup at Indy (@NBC): 2.05 rating, 3.373 million viewers
2) F1 at Hungary (@ESPN): 0.63, 1.249M
3) IndyCar at IMS (NBC) 0.67, 1.046M

F1 slightly edged out NASCAR for most 18-49 viewers but Xfinity had more total viewers than F1. https://t.co/QoyRpZorFM
PossumJenkins
Right...correct. That's exactly what happened. He realized he wasn't making turn one at 5 wide and choose the access road. I'm confused? Would you think he would try to turn in and then take the access road? Or slow down to take the access road? You're still racing at that point. You don't realize you're not going to make the corner and then still try to make the corner...same as the 11 did earlier in the race at the same pace...without a penalty.

I think you nailed it...from what your saw...I'm interested in what you would have had him do at the point he realized he's either gonna be in the grass or door slam the 16 to make the corner?
Packchem91
This is a cool deal - and a beautiful car

metcalfmafia
Man, I'd love to get out to NWB to watch that. When does the race happen?

My family mourned when NASCAR left that track.
caryking
Packchem91 said:

This is a cool deal - and a beautiful car

I wish I could go to that race. I think it's going to be great. Perhaps someone will pick it up on video feed for YouTube or something...

Joe Biden
Wolfer79
The NASCAR race in Indianapolis averaged 3.373M on NBC, 170% better than F1's 1.249M. But F1 still had 5,000 more viewers under 50 than the NASCAR race.

TheStorm
Oh, I don't know... maybe he could have stayed in line, since he knew that he was never going to make a clean pass of the 16 before Turn 1 to begin with... but that wasn't the plan that he had now was it?

Take a look at this aerial of the track, and just tell me why?... why do you think that he got disqualified? Forget that he's a personal friend for a second and just look at that track and then tell me if you think you can figure it out?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Indianapolis+Motor+Speedway/@39.7956331,-86.2375945,1857m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x886b57b65859029f:0x149621592eff1e90!8m2!3d39.7953542!4d-86.2353006?hl=en

and then there's this picture as well:

from this article:

https://www.insider.com/nascar-indianapolis-race-ross-chastain-access-road-shortcut-2022-8

Key word in that article being "forced"...

Now if you want to, we can debate what he said in his post race interview... but I don't think that should even be necessary anymore at this point.
PossumJenkins
Your answer is to "Stay in Line"? We're racing. You realize no one stayed in line correct? You could easily say that to the TWO cars inside AJ in your photo (also I've learned evaluating a still frame shot from cars going 140 mph doesn't exactly help add perspective to the split second decisions they are making). I know what the photo shows. He went straight...cause that's where the access lane is...whether he made the decision cause he didn't think he could make the corner or because he had clearly preplanned it as you have clearly decided...the photo, either way, is going to show him going that direction.

Again, my friendship with him has nothing to do with it. I honestly don't care. He's in the playoffs. Runs up front. Some people like him, some people don't. I can promise you anything he does on the race track has little to no bearing on my friendship with Ross.

I'm not even sure what the argument is anymore or for that matter, who the hell Cork Gaines is or why his opinion would matter on anything NASCAR related.

Overall my issue is with NASCAR. This same move was made earlier in the race with no penalty assessed. It took them almost two laps (pretty long laps here) to issue a penalty. That's ridiculous and then clearly the rules were not clear as even the announcers (Stevie) said on the broadcast..."I might look at telling my driver just to take the access road in turn 1"
TheStorm
Man... just forget it... yeah, that just makes a ton of sense to try to pass on the outside IN Turn 1. Bet drivers were pulling that off successfully all day long. Great strategy there.

And no... I get it... you are wrong, but you're "doubling down" anyway.

Keep on defending the indefensible.

I'm done.
PossumJenkins
Bro.

From someone who doesn't know where Blaney finished or that it's Indycar in Nashville...not sure I need to hear race strategy from you... you realize the very next corner is a left hander? This is what I can tell you. Trackhouse sat in the NASCAR hauler for an hour after the race and ask NASCAR to show them the rule they broke. They couldn't.

Austin Dillon did it twice in the Xfin race the day previously and wasn't penalized (which is likely why he tried it again)

It was done previously 6 times in the Cup race that day with no penalties issued.

You didn't like the move..I don't care.

Was the move fair...probably not...but it was not in the rules as an illegal move.

As well..in the 48 hours since the race have both the 11 (no love lost for Ross) and the 22 have spoken out that no rule in the NASCAR rules set forth to the drivers over the weekend was broken...there's my doubling down.

But please tell me how you FEEL about it...cause those are the facts.
TheStorm
https://www.nascar.com/video/franchise/tuned-in/tuned-in-nascar-discusses-ruling-on-chastain-penalty/
ncsupack1
Nice looking car! I love the drink myself.
Bell Tower Grey
ncsupack1 said:

Nice looking car! I love the drink myself.
Yep. It can bring out the best in the worst of booze.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.