NASCAR 2022/2023 Off Season Thread

88,174 Views | 1360 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bell Tower Grey
Bell Tower Grey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PossumJenkins said:

That's the interesting part. The team I mentioned with the show car is not a small team. All of the parts are supposed to be distributed equally with this new car across the teams. Now I'm sure "equal" doesn't have that exact definition...and being able to throw more people at it with big teams will help...but it's going to be somewhat of a problem for everyone in the short term.
Throwing this out just for s & g: Think it would get to the point that multi-car teams would consider alternating say, their two "lesser strong" teams into an every other race situation in order to save on parts and cars? I realize sponsors might balk, but might it be possible any way?
PossumJenkins
No...I don't think it will get that bad and NASCAR couldn't let that happen cause it would water down the races too much. Just gonna be some poor guys who get worked to the bone likely in the early part of the year.
ncsupack1
Enjoy watching practice, it's finally here.
Bell Tower Grey
ncsupack1 said:

Watched both sessions. The dual races should be fun to watch. Hope they don't tear up a bunch of cars just for qualifying. Sunday should be interesting. Looking forward to it.
Packchem91
Bell Tower Grey said:

ncsupack1 said:

Watched both sessions. The dual races should be fun to watch. Hope they don't tear up a bunch of cars just for qualifying. Sunday should be interesting. Looking forward to it.
with so many cars already in, and with coming from back to front not being that big of a deal at Daytona on Sunday, you'd think teams would be smart in the 125s. But....they are still racers. And they are still going real fast real close together.

Wolfer79
NASCAR
NASCAR Cup Series
Duel 1 at Daytona Daytona International Speedway, Daytona Beach, FL
Qualifying FS1, 8 p.m.

NASCAR Race Hub: Daytona 500 Media Day FS1, 5 p.m.
NASCAR Race Hub FS1, 7:30 p.m.
caryking
I'm seeing a controversy already heating up…. Look at all the Fords up front with their qualifying speeds…. Two to three races in, Nascar will make some type of an adjustment for Chevy and Toyota.
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
Glasswolf
caryking said:

I'm seeing a controversy already heating up…. Look at all the Fords up front with their qualifying speeds…. Two to three races in, Nascar will make some type of an adjustment for Chevy and Toyota.
Seems like up until recently they did that every year for one manufacture or another.
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

TheStorm
Glasswolf said:

caryking said:

Seems like up until recently they did that every year for one manufacture or another.
Yeah, they used to do it all the time. Not so much recently, and I doubt we'll see it this year either.
TheStorm
Not sure what happened with William Byron last night? I know that he at least turned a lap in the first session, but I never saw his car on screen on the track and he wasn't out there drafting with his other three teammates towards the end of Session 1 either. Did anybody hear something that I missed?

Also, as I was watching Session 1 they showed Blaney come in and said that he was done drafting and was going to switch over to his qualifying package (which they said they can do quickly with these new cars) and go back out. I never saw him back out on the track after that. Anybody see anything different?

8:00 tonight boys!

*Edited to add: It was great seeing "The Biff" out there again last night!
TraCha4
Kevin Harvick had his car skewed a little more dramatic than the rest. He was fast in the second practice though. If he stays fast will be interesting to see how quickly other follow suit.

Just to follow up for those in the know. I thought this new car was designed to eliminate a lot of these type tactics. Thought the new cars had to be more less the same?
Wolfer79
You kids don't know just how good Darrell Waltrip was.

@bobpockrass | @AllWaltrip

https://twitter.com/NASCARONFOX/status/1493375000224567297?t=pwENrIyu7jWU_RUK-nhJKg&s=19
ncsupack1
NASCAR made a rule change. Doing away with the scew.
hokiewolf
ncsupack1 said:

NASCAR made a rule change. Doing away with the scew.
I think it was a good move. Skew made the cars look ridiculous on TV plus easier to turn for the drivers. I want to see driving style play more into the racing than it has in the past.
ncsupack1
It doesn't bother me either way, but it did look funny. IMO…I think the teams were seeing what NASCAR would allow.
caryking
I didn't realize the times were going to be this slow.

Joe Biden
Bell Tower Grey
My 21 rookie gave it a good run!
Bell Tower Grey
caryking said:

I didn't realize the times were going to be this slow.
I'm not sure anyone knows what to expect with this new car. It's gonna take several races to get things figured out.
TraCha4
TheStorm
Yep, I enjoyed that last night, except the part where Bowman knocked Byron off the front row.
Wolfer79
NASCAR
NASCAR Camping World Truck Series
NextEra Energy 250, Daytona International Speedway, Daytona Beach, FL
Practice FS1, 4:30 p.m.

NASCAR Cup Series
Duel at Daytona, Daytona International Speedway, Daytona Beach, FL
Duel 1 FS1, 7 p.m.
Duel 2 FS2, 8:30 p.m.

NASCAR RaceDay: Daytona FS1, 5:30 p.m.

100,000 Cameras: Clash at the Coliseum FS1, 10 p.m.

The Nascarcade FS1, 10:30 p.m.
Wolfer79
And away we go! First story filed from #Daytona500 . #NASCAR's Next Gen car is here. Everyone seems to like it, they just hope there will be enough of them. So, calmer 500 on Sunday, right? Are you kidding?!
https://t.co/rqx9RBeVXc
ncsupack1
I could see a tamer 500. These teams are sweating cars. That's why I could see a long shot win. But what do I know?
caryking
Pre-race is on! Ready for the duels…

Joe Biden
Bell Tower Grey
First impression with 5 to go in the first race....eerily similar to the old IROC series.

Wonder who will start the serious cheating first?
hokiewolf
Top 4 Fords. I'm betting heavy on Blue Oval cars for the 500
Bell Tower Grey
hokiewolf said:

Top 4 Fords. I'm betting heavy on Blue Oval cars for the 500
Let's see what happens in the second one. But, I certainly understand your thought process
Bell Tower Grey
I'm with you hokie. They are going to be tough to beat.

Harrison burton with a good run in the 21 for the Wood Brothers. I like it.
caryking
I may be alone here…. Didn't care much for the racing. Don't like the idea of losing the draft so easy.

Joe Biden
Bell Tower Grey
caryking said:

I may be alone here…. Didn't care much for the racing. Don't like the idea of losing the draft so easy.
I expect nascar to make some tweaks before they get to Talledega to try to make it better. But, expecting them to do something is akin to thinking the ncaa is a competent organization, so.....

Getting on the 1.5s will be when we see how things will really shake out.
ncsupack1
Fords looked good. I will say this, doesn't take much to lose the draft. The 4 car got out and that was it.
Wolfer79
Keselowski and Chris Buescher won the 150-mile qualifying races at Daytona International Speedway on Thursday night to put them side-by-side starting from the second row in NASCAR's sold-out, season-opening spectacular.

He won the race on the 60th and final lap of the second qualifying race for the Daytona 500 when leader Joey Logano wrecked trying to block Buescher's run. Logano, who was visibly angry after wrecking his Team Penske Ford, said he misjudged Buescher's closing rate.

"Driver screwed up. That's really all there is to it," Logano said. "It's my fault. It stinks because it tore up our car and kind of puts us in a spot as a race team. It's just a dumb mistake."

Keselowski and Buescher will start Sunday behind NASCAR champion Kyle Larson and his Hendrick Motorsports teammate Alex Bowman. The Chevrolet drivers locked down the front row in Wednesday night time trials.

Six teams came to Daytona battling for four "open" spots in Sunday's 40-car field. Two spots were filled in time trials -- former Formula One champion Jacques Villeneuve will make his Daytona 500 debut, as will Noah Gragson for Beard Motorsports -- and one spot was available in each of the two qualifying races.

Grala earned one of them with a pass for 18th on the final lap of the first race. NY Racing, a team owned by Black entrepreneur John Cohen, raced its way into the Daytona 500 in the second race. The team pulled Greg Biffle out of semi-retirement and at 52, Biffle will be the oldest driver in the field Sunday when he makes his 15th career Daytona 500 start.

https://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/story/_/id/33314770/brad-keselowski-wins-first-daytona-500-qualifying-race-floyd-mayweather-jr-team-makes-main-event
Wolfer79
NASCAR
NASCAR Camping World Truck Series
NextEra Energy 250, Daytona International Speedway, Daytona Beach, FL
Qualifying FS1, 3 p.m.
Race FS1, 7:30 p.m.

NASCAR RaceDay: NCWTS-Daytona FS1, 6:30 p.m.
NASCAR Xfinity Series
A Race That Goes Left for 300 Miles, Daytona International Speedway, Daytona Beach, FL
Practice FS1, 4:30 p.m.

NASCAR Cup Series
Daytona 500, Daytona International Speedway, Daytona Beach, FL
Practice FS1, 5:30 p.m.
Wolfer79
Filed from #Daytona500: Next Gen cars? How about all these Next Gen drivers? The youth movement is afoot in NASCAR, as more than half the drivers in the 40-car field for Sunday's Daytona 500 are in their 20s.

https://twitter.com/ESPNMcGee/status/1494675063852961797?t=dSbkh53KQgKp75XQ5b5ntw&s=19
caryking
Truck series gives great racing…

Joe Biden

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.