NASCAR 2022/2023 Off Season Thread

88,129 Views | 1360 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bell Tower Grey
TheStorm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Steve Williams said:

TheStorm said:

I watched it all too. 2nd LCQ race was I guess what some were hoping the entire deal would be like, but I guess I just would have rather watched the new cars on a real track and seen some real racing... highlight of the entire day might have been the crowd shots during Ice Cube's set at "halftime" of the main feature.
That was hilarious.
Watched most of the replay again last night and unfortunately they cut out the "halftime" show (either that or I changed the channel for too long and somehow missed it )...

On Sunday, I was getting worried about my man Cube being able to get through that last song or two... he was really starting to have a hard time getting all those words out on time PLUS finding time to actually breathe. Pitbull didn't exactly breeze through his set either if I'm being totally honest and he didn't have nearly as many words to "say" as Cube did .
Wolfer79
Adam Stern

.@FoxTV earned a 2.32 rating and 4.283 million viewers for Sunday's Busch Light Clash @LAColiseum, up 168% in viewership from last year and the best for the event since 2016 when it was called the Sprint Unlimited. https://t.co/k1oh29ygct

wolfer79 editorial comment
2021 was on FS1, not "Big Fox
ncsupack1
Some good numbers for sure.
caryking
ciscopack said:

Don't keep up with things that closely but I watched the whole night race and some of the earlier stuff. Knew nothing about Hailey and the new team but I liked how he drove and was pulling for him. Tough luck on having the 5 think you were gouging him, when the 24 was pushing. I'd have liked to see what he could do cleanly; I think he was competitive for the win.
I think Hailey is going to be a good driver. In fact, the whole Kaulig racing team is going to be good. I hope we do get more teams competing every week. I pull for Hendrick Motorsport's; however, more good teams will be good for the sport.
metcalfmafia
WarrenPeace said:

I still like to go to local short tracks if I get a free Saturday night. Seeing the big boys on a quarter mile was cool for me. I enjoyed it.
Same here. Gave me some Bowman Grey vibes!
Wolfer79
Adam Stern

.@RaceTeamAllianc and @CandyDigital next Tuesday will roll out their first NASCAR-related NFTs, and the "digi-casts" will show a team's Daytona 500 paint scheme and its Gen 7 car being de-constructed ($50 each).

https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/1491408115602173956?t=-1QENaTVDs8sbwnLEtrg2Q&s=19
metcalfmafia
Who is everyone's driver? Mine has been Blaney for the last several seasons.
TheStorm
#24. Was a huge Gordon fan... was tickled to death when Chase Elliot took over the ride, but I'm extremely pleased with what William Byron achieved last year on a week by week basis.

He'll win a championship within the next 2-3 years.

I'm also like Cary in that I've always pulled for Hendrick drivers in general.
Steve Williams
Staff
caryking said:

ciscopack said:

Don't keep up with things that closely but I watched the whole night race and some of the earlier stuff. Knew nothing about Hailey and the new team but I liked how he drove and was pulling for him. Tough luck on having the 5 think you were gouging him, when the 24 was pushing. I'd have liked to see what he could do cleanly; I think he was competitive for the win.
I think Hailey is going to be a good driver. In fact, the whole Kaulig racing team is going to be good. I hope we do get more teams competing every week. I pull for Hendrick Motorsport's; however, more good teams will be good for the sport.
I agree. I think Kaulig is going to be the big up and coming team in NASCAR this year.
caryking
TheStorm said:

#24. Was a huge Gordon fan... was tickled to death when Chase Elliot took over the ride, but I'm extremely pleased with what William Byron achieved last year on a week by week basis.

He'll win a championship within the next 2-3 years.

I'm also like Cary in that I've always pulled for Hendrick drivers in general.
I was a big Dale Earnhardt fan. His death lead me to Dale Jr. When he left DEI for Hendrick, I became a Hendrick fan. All of their drivers are really good and I like the personalties. Additionally, I like Blaney as well.

So, since Jr left the sport, I don't have a main driver and pull for several. It makes it easier to be happy on Sundays...

of all those driver, if I had to pick, it would be Chase Elliot.
ncsupack1
Harvick for a long time. Even more happy that SHR is Ford.
Wolfer79
metcalfmafia said:

I would be interested in how people's "your driver" has changed over time

Davey Allison is what I go back to as original my driver
WarrenPeace
As a short track guy I pull for Kyle, Chase, and Erik Jones. They all still like to compete is Super Late Model racing and mix it up with local boys. Kyle has givin it up recently but he did make it to our local track not too long ago.
metcalfmafia
Since childhood, I've rooted for the Earnhardts or the Wood Brothers.

Now it's Blaney and the Wood Brothers. Grew to love Blaney when he raced with Wood Brothers and have continued to root for him since he left. Feels like a good up and comer and typically does more with less...at least to my untrained racing eye.
caryking
metcalfmafia said:

Now it's Blaney and the Wood Brothers. Grew to love Blaney when he raced with Wood Brothers and have continued to root for him since he left. Feels like a good up and comer and typically does more with less...at least to my untrained racing eye.
The 21 car is the best looking car on the track…
TheStorm
Wolfer79 said:

metcalfmafia said:

My late father was a diehard Richard Petty fan, so growing up and listening to races on the radio with my dad he became my driver as well... when Petty phased out, I went over to Hendrick with Darrell Waltrip (Geoff Bodine, Ken Schrader were his teammates) where I guess he came in to replace Tim Richmond?

Waltrip eventually went out on his own (Western Auto?) and I don't think it was too much longer before Hendrick started up the #24 team.
metcalfmafia
caryking said:

metcalfmafia said:

The 21 car is the best looking car on the track…
Absolutely agree. Classic.
TraCha4
I have always liked the #9 so when I first started watching nascar I pulled for Bill Elliott, then Kasey Kahne. I kinda followed Kasey over to Hendrick and pulled for him when he drove the 5 car. Have obviously gravitated back to the 9 car. But if I'm being honest, I find myself pulling for Alex Bowman a good bit.
Bell Tower Grey
metcalfmafia said:

Car preference is Chevy. But, I'm more of a team / driver nascar fan.

I was a Cale Yarborough, Harry Gant and David Pearson fan for years. Pulled for E Sr., never could get on board with Jr. Have an affinity for the Wood Bros. work ethic. Always liked the 21 regardless of the driver or car make / model.

Very content with Harrison Burton in the 21. If it's a Chevy team, then Kyle Larson. Guy can wheel a car.

caryking
Bell Tower Grey said:

metcalfmafia said:

I was a Cale Yarborough, Harry Gant and David Pearson fan for years. Pulled for E Sr., never could get on board with Jr. Have an affinity for the Wood Bros. work ethic. Always liked the 21 regardless of the driver or car make / model.

Very content with Harrison Burton in the 21. If it's a Chevy team, then Kyle Larson. Guy can wheel a car.

Probably the best paint scheme in NASCAR history…
ncsupack1
Does look nice!
TheStorm

Wolfer, I think it's about time for one of your schedule updates right about now... don't we have some qualifying or something scheduled for this weekend at a little track down in Florida?
Bell Tower Grey
DAYTONA 500

Daytona International Speedway
2:30pm/et, Sunday, February 20

TV: FOX
Radio: MRN, SiriusXM

Practice 1: 5:05-5:55pm/et. Tue, Feb 15. TV: FS1

Practice 2: 6:35-7:25pm/et. Tue, Feb 15. TV: FS1

Qualifying: 8:05pm/et, Wed, Feb 16. TV: FS1

Duel 1: 7:00pm/et, Thur, Feb 17. TV: FS1

Duel 2: 8:45pm/et, Thur, Feb 17. TV: FS1

Practice 3: 5:35-6:25pm/et. Fri, Feb 18. TV: FS1

Practice 4: 10:30-11:20am/et. Sat, Feb 19. TV: FS2/FS1

UNOFFICIAL Entry List

Race Page
ncsupack1
I can hear them now…lol
Bell Tower Grey
ncsupack1 said:

I can hear them now…lol
....ahhh, the voices of Barney Hall, Ken Squier, Allen Bestwick and our own Dr. Jerry Punch echo through my head....
Wolfer79
Bell Tower Grey said:

ncsupack1 said:

I can hear them now…lol
....ahhh, the voices of Barney Hall, Ken Squier, Allen Bestwick and our own Dr. Jerry Punch echo through my head....

Eli Gold also
Glasswolf
Wolfer79 said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

ncsupack1 said:

I can hear them now…lol

Eli Gold also
Eli Gold does the track announcing at Talladega as well as the voice of Alabama Football. He's a great voice. As far as Dr. Punch, check out this. I didn't know he went as far back as he did with NASCAR.

Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

caryking
We have had so many great broadcasters in NASCAR. I was always partial to the Dr. because of his relationship to NC State.

As far as main voices, I always liked Allen Bestwick. His energy and excitement is intoxicating!
Glasswolf
caryking said:

We have had so many great broadcasters in NASCAR. I was always partial to the Dr. because of his relationship to NC State.

As far as main voices, I always liked Allen Bestwick. His energy and excitement is intoxicating!
Sad thing is so many of these voices are passing away. Ned Jarrett was a favorite, I liked Benny Parsons. Bestwick was great.

caryking
Glasswolf said:

caryking said:

Sad thing is so many of these voices are passing away. Ned Jarrett was a favorite, I liked Benny Parsons. Bestwick was great.
I agree. It is sad. Right now, Jr. is the best in the business, for me…
Wolfer79
caryking said:

Glasswolf said:

caryking said:

I am reading Junior's book "Racing to the Finish" now
Glasswolf
caryking said:

Glasswolf said:

caryking said:

Jr. has made a name for himself outside the car which I love. He truly cares about the sport. It's history and where it's heading. His series about the forgotten tracks is a must watch. Waiting for him to do a segment on Wilson County Speedway.

Packchem91
metcalfmafia said:

All mine are gone / retired.

Buddy Baker
Davey Allison
Bill Elliott
Bobby Labonte
Junior.

I can't find one now that I really like --- though there are a whole bunch whom I can't really stand. I want to like Chase, but he's so polished/boring, he's difficult to warm up to.
Maybe Blaney?

With Junior, its kinda like my favorite golfer, Rickie Fowler --- awesome personality, good person, lots of hype early on, win some big events, but then a lot of non-performance that led to just not being as interested.
But at least when Junior was driving, I'd tune in hoping he'd do well; I've watched very very little outside Daytona/Dega since he left.
Packchem91
TheStorm said:

Wolfer79 said:

metcalfmafia said:

My late father was a diehard Richard Petty fan, so growing up and listening to races on the radio with my dad he became my driver as well... when Petty phased out, I went over to Hendrick with Darrell Waltrip (Geoff Bodine, Ken Schrader were his teammates) where I guess he came in to replace Tim Richmond?

Waltrip eventually went out on his own (Western Auto?) and I don't think it was too much longer before Hendrick started up the #24 team.
Geoff Bodine...oh man. No Jeff named Geoff is ever gonna get my vote!

But those were good days in racing.
Packchem91
Bell Tower Grey said:

metcalfmafia said:

Beautiful. I think I can get behind Burton

But I think the best looking car was still the white, black, red and gold Havoline 28 car that Davey Allison drove.
That and the Junior #8 Budweiser car.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.