Grilling Thread

140,862 Views | 1158 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Seawolf2010
JocoPack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wow Steve! That looks awesome
Steve Videtich
We need more pics on this thread of everything these good folks are cooking!
cowboypack02
Steve Videtich said:

Ask and ye shall receive my friend...

packgrad
Anybody have a good brown vinegar sauce recipe? I had one, and lost it, and ran out of my sauce. Smoked a butt this weekend and now I don't have sauce to put on it. Improvised, but my improvisation wasn't as good as the original product.
kbdavis33
packgrad said:

Anybody have a good brown vinegar sauce recipe? I had one, and lost it, and ran out of my sauce. Smoked a butt this weekend and now I don't have sauce to put on it. Improvised, but my improvisation wasn't as good as the original product.
I've never been one to put the brown sugar on. Just not my cup of tea. But my favorite one to use (that you could definitely add brown sugar to) is

Apple Cider Vinegar
Salt
Pepper
Garlic Powder
Paprika
Chili Powder
Mustard Powder
Red Chili Flakes
Butter
Litte bit of soy sauce

Bring that to a boil.

Then let it simmer. If you added any brown sugar or honey to it you'd get the sweet flavor you're looking for and it would thicken up a little in the simmer.

Then I do a dry rub with most of those same ingredients and you could add the brown sugar to the dry rub.

But for me I try to ladle the sauce over the butt every 45 minutes or so. Keeps it really moist.

Edit: I just now realized that you never said brown sugar and I just can't read in the morning. Disregard that. Or add it, still good haha
Bell Tower Grey
Steve Videtich said:

This is the steak and shrimp from Saturday dinner that I posted about.

Steve Videtich
Very nice! With you and Cowboy Pack, we can get this thread going even better with visuals.
Bell Tower Grey
Steve Videtich said:

Very nice! With you and Cowboy Pack, we can get this thread going even better with visuals.
Thank you. Sometimes, I'm better posting pics than others The old dog / new tricks thing.
Bell Tower Grey
Bell Tower Grey said:

Steve Videtich said:

Thank you. Sometimes, I'm better posting pics than others The old dog / new tricks thing.

This is one rack of three ribs that I smoked a couple of weeks ago. Rubbed with a salt, black pepper, brown sugar and smoked paprika mixture the night before. Found a home run recipe with that.

Planning on smoking another pork butt one day this weekend.
Bell Tower Grey
packgrad said:

Here is a recipe from the book "NC BBQ, Flavored By Time" that Bob Garner wrote several years ago. It's a good, solid recipe. I've used it on occasion, but my "go to" is from a recipe I've had many years.

Recipes from the book:

1. Basic Eastern North Carolina Sauce Garner (simple, and still one of
the best ones out there)

2 qrt apple-cider vinegar
1 1/2 to 2 oz crushed red pepper
2 Tablespoons salt, or to taste
1 Tablespoons black pepper, or to taste

Mix all ingredients well.

Use to baste pig and to season chopped barbecue to taste.

May be stored in tightly sealed container without refrigeration.

Hope this might help you.
Steve Videtich
That's the great thing about this thread. So many great recipe ideas shared and many ideas, for me, created. Eventually, I'll teach these folks in Utah how to do good southern food.
Bell Tower Grey
Simple grilling on Saturday, Bright Leaf hotdogs and home ground hamburgers. Mrs. BTG is going to make sourdough rolls for both the dogs and burgers. Chips and a freezer of homemade fresh blueberry (from our bushes) ice cream for sides.

On Sunday I am going to smoke a pork butt. Will use some for bbq sandwiches that night and the rest for carnitas one night next week.
Civilized
Bell Tower Grey said:

Simple grilling on Saturday, Bright Leaf hotdogs and home ground hamburgers. Mrs. BTG is going to make sourdough rolls for both the dogs and burgers. Chips and a freezer of homemade fresh blueberry (from our bushes) ice cream for sides.

On Sunday I am going to smoke a pork butt. Will use some for bbq sandwiches that night and the rest for carnitas one night next week.

Grinding method?

Preferred doneness?

I've looked into this a little and am intrigued. Love spots that grind their own since I like them blue or rare and that seems like a bad idea with store-bought ground. Not even sure how best to go about this at home.

HT was all out of bone-in shoulders today so my wife picked up the last two they had, which were boneless. First boneless shoulders I've ever done, around 4 pounds each. Smoked them at 250 for around 5.5 hours tonight to get them up to 195. Did a light mustard and brown sugar mesquite dry rub. Pulled them and foiled them to let them cool for a couple of hours before putting them in the fridge.

Don't know how they'll taste but smoking for under 6 hours compared to 10-14 for much bigger bone-in cuts sure was convenient.

Taking them down to Little Washington tomorrow AM bright and early and heading out on a neighbor's boat for the day. Pumped!

Bell Tower Grey
Have the grinder attachment for the Kitchen Aide mixer. Absolutely love it, have had it for about 3 years.. Only regret is not buying it sooner. Bought mine on amazon. If you don't have one, do yourself a favor and invest in one. The difference in home ground vs. store bought, understandably, is amazing.

Research home ground burger mixtures and experiment with various cuts until you find one you like. It took me a couple of months before I finally found a blend that I love.

My preferred doneness is medium rare for burgers. Mrs. has lyme disease and eating red meat does not agree with her a majority of the time. When she does eat burgers or steak, it's at least cooked to medium. If she's not eating red meat when I'm fixing burgers, then I'll grind either pork, chicken or turkey and make burgers for her.

Since I've been making burgers at home, I rarely buy burgers from any restaurant any more, unless I am really pushed for time and that's all there is.....I've learned to keep a couple of packs of nabs in the car to tide me over until meal time, mainly to avoid that fast food shot.
Bell Tower Grey
Your shoulders sound like they will be good. I've cooked both boneless and bone in. The bone seems to flavor it a little more, but boneless is less time consuming - like cooking a whole hog vs. a quarter cut one.

Some folks "poo poo" the mustard rub as a base, but I've used it several times and found it to be a nice slightly different flavor than a traditional eastern NC style cook. The mustard seems to tenderize the meat a little more.

As I've aged, I've come to the realization that most all bbq is good, some is just better than other. Being an eastern NC native, my first choice is vinegar based sauce with meat cooked over oak and hickory wood.

I do try to source my pork from local vendors when possible since the big producers now are offering the most lean cuts possible to maximize their profits. That move has resulted in an almost flavorless product that is entirely dependent on both smoke from the cook as well as sauce to enhance the flavor. Local folks almost always have more fatty (flavorful) product.

Hope yours turns out well for you and your guests tomorrow. Enjoy your holiday, friend.
Wlfpackamk
5 hours into a brisket. Taking it out to wrap. Using pecan wood. #lowandslow Happy Freedom Day!
Mormad

Bell Tower Grey
Got the same spatula. Every State grill master needs one.
ncsupack1
We are going easy today, burgers, dogs, and homemade fries. Plenty of beer today as well. Happy 4th to everyone!
JocoPack
Man it's hard to beat the GrillGrates + BGE combo!
Tootie4Pack
Bell Tower Grey said:

Steve Videtich said:

Bell TG, can you tell me how you grill your shrimp? In a tray, on a shish kabob stick, another way? Any special coating....olive oil , another marinade. Just curious. I grilled shrimp last Sunday for the first time in a long time. Just trying to learn how others do it. I used a tray on our Holland Grill. Thanks.
Mormad
The second picture is chicken thangs compliments of GMoney whom I'm sure many of you know if I could say his name here.

Pulled chicken, cream cheese, sage, salt and pepper rolled in a crescent roll rolled in butter and stuffing mix and baked. Ridiculous.
Mormad
I think it was you who gave me the idea
Bell Tower Grey
Tootie4Pack said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

Steve Videtich said:

Bell TG, can you tell me how you grill your shrimp? In a tray, on a shish kabob stick, another way? Any special coating....olive oil , another marinade. Just curious. I grilled shrimp last Sunday for the first time in a long time. Just trying to learn how others do it. I used a tray on our Holland Grill. Thanks.
Be happy to! I always grill over lump hardwood charcoal. When grilling shrimp, I'm old school, using wood skewers that I soak in water for a couple of hours before putting the shrimp on them and grilling.

I leave the tails on the shrimp. I brush them with melted bacon grease, then I use a mix of Old Bay, fine ground black pepper and kosher salt that I lightly sprinkle over both sides of the shrimp about 30 minutes before cooking. None of us here want the shrimp "well done", so I turn them every minute or so for about 5 - 7 minutes, depending on the size of the shrimp. I have used a little brown sugar in that mix when I want them to get a little char without getting too done. Like cooking other proteins, I take them off the heat a little early because I know they'll continue to cook some while they rest.
Bell Tower Grey
Mormad said:

The second picture is chicken thangs compliments of GMoney whom I'm sure many of you know if I could say his name here.

Pulled chicken, cream cheese, sage, salt and pepper rolled in a crescent roll rolled in butter and stuffing mix and baked. Ridiculous.
Those sound awesome. Would probably make great tailgate fare. Thanks for sharing that.
wilmwolf
Wagyu burgers, dogs, chips, and Old Tuffy in the cooler for me today.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Mormad
Filet mignon and Ribeyes from Costco marinating in very very teriyaki and Thomas's plus fresh stuffed jalepenos out the garden for us tonight. Celebrating my daughter's 18th.

Gonna stuff the peppers with cream cheese, melted bacon grease, soy sauce, garlic and sweet baby Ray's unless somebody has a better idea.
Mormad
wilmwolf80 said:

Wagyu burgers, dogs, chips, and Old Tuffy in the cooler for me today.

Gawd, that's just perfection today
Tootie4Pack
Thank you ! Always great ideas and suggestions on here from the grilling experts. Will be the way I cook them next weekend when we plan to grill some more shrimp !
Wlfpackamk
Finished earlier than I thought. Rested in a dry cooler for 2 hours. Actually enjoyed the flat more than the point on this one. So so good tho.
Bell Tower Grey
Mormad said:

Filet mignon and Ribeyes from Costco marinating in very very teriyaki and Thomas's plus fresh stuffed jalepenos out the garden for us tonight. Celebrating my daughter's 18th.

Gonna stuff the peppers with cream cheese, melted bacon grease, soy sauce, garlic and sweet baby Ray's unless somebody has a better idea.
Your menu sounds awesome. I'm going to try the peppers but use my bbq sauce instead.

I gotta pull the trigger and get a Costco membership since I keep reading about how their beef is so good. Granted, I love my butcher, but there are times when I buy in quantity that it would be nice.

Happy 18th to your young woman. My two turned 22 in February...damn, they grow up too fast.
Bell Tower Grey
Tootie4Pack said:

Thank you ! Always great ideas and suggestions on here from the grilling experts. Will be the way I cook them next weekend when we plan to grill some more shrimp !
You're welcome! Hope you enjoy them. The bacon grease is the key....lol. Seems like it always is.
Bell Tower Grey
Wlfpackamk said:

Finished earlier than I thought. Rested in a dry cooler for 2 hours. Actually enjoyed the flat more than the point on this one. So so good tho.

Looks great.
Steve Videtich
Here's my contribution for the 4th! Have a great day everybody!
packgrad
Got back from the beach a little later than planned. Cooked some burgers with cheddar and jalapeo jack cheese on the grates and fried up some onions on the cast iron flat top of the KJ. Good quick meal.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.