Grilling Thread

140,964 Views | 1158 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Seawolf2010
Civilized
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pacfanweb said:

Civilized said:

Pacfanweb said:

Marinated and grilled London Broil, sliced as thinly as I could. Eaten with sauteed onions and peppers on a sub roll.
Fresh corn on the cob and other veggies.

My 15 year old son with a hollow leg is on Sandwich #4 so far, lol.

Marinated in the same marinade used for filets at the Bridge Tender in Wilmington.

A great trick with many marinades is to simmer them after you take the meat out, until they are reduced down to a sauce. This stuff in particular, you could dip an oil filter in and it would be good.

Oh, to have a 15 YO metabolism again!

That sounds incredible. Love steak marinade soaking into some delicious bread.

Did the Bridge Tender make their marinade recipe public or did you go through back channels?
My best friend lives in Wilmington. A girl that worked for him, her boyfriend or husband was a chef there. So, "back channels", I guess, lol

Was the sub roll any good? Getting that perfect crunchy/smoky/flaky-but-still-absorbent outside with the fluffy inside is so key with beef sandwiches.

Even taking Hawaiian rolls and doing a spiced butter glaze with butter and 'everything bagel' spices will get you there. Onion/garlic/poppy/sesame/salt in butter, spread onto tops of rolls and broiled or thrown on a got grill for a minute will get you there. So good with au jus!
JocoPack
Smoking a 12lb butt for Saturday with the wife's family, then doing 5 racks of St. Louis style ribs on Sunday for the old man.
Civilized
JocoPack said:

Smoking a 12lb butt for Saturday with the wife's family, then doing 5 racks of St. Louis style ribs on Sunday for the old man.

Nice!

Dry rub for the butt?

Sauce or rub (or both) for ribs?
JocoPack
Civilized said:

JocoPack said:

Nice!

Dry rub for the butt?

Sauce or rub (or both) for ribs?

Caribeque Honey Heat for the butts and the ribs. I'll also add some Meatchurch Honey Hog Hot(it's pretty dang spicy) to one rack of ribs for myself and my brother in law. I love some spice on my ribs lol.

Sauce for the barbecue will be some good ole Scott's sauce made right in Goldsboro. I've made some good sauce before but it's hard to beat Scott's. Sauce for the ribs will be a recipe I picked up from Carl Lewis(owner of Carl and Chelle's grill room in Goldsboro). For one batch is one stick of unsalted butter, one bottle of John Boy and Billy's grill sauce, some pepper jelly, and a dash of whatever rub I'm using. I'll smoke the ribs, wrap them in foil with some Parkay, honey, and brown sugar and let them finish cooking, then sauce them and let them get good and sticky on the grill. Those are all tips I picked up from some of my buddies that do competition events. If you're interested in the rub, check out Caribeque's website. Guy has some great products. He's got an "Island Thyme" rub that is killer on some chicken. He sells his rubs in bulk as well which is nice if you cook a lot.
Bell Tower Grey
JoCo, did I hear correctly that Carl now owns the JB&B product line?

Their sauces are not too bad. Like you, I'm a big Scott's fan for my bbq. Got homemade (3 generations worth) for chicken and ribs.
JocoPack
BTG,

The way I understand it that sauce recipe is actually Carl's grandmother's and he went into business with JB&B with it.

Also, in case any of y'all haven't heard, Wilbur's BBQ in Goldsboro is set to reopen any day now. One of the few true-ENC whole hog cooked over wood joints left.
Civilized
JocoPack said:

BTG,

The way I understand it that sauce recipe is actually Carl's grandmother's and he went into business with JB&B with it.

Also, in case any of y'all haven't heard, Wilbur's BBQ in Goldsboro is set to reopen any day now. One of the few true-ENC whole hog cooked over wood joints left.

I saw a headline about that a couple of weeks ago! Who's the new operator?
Civilized
Bell Tower Grey said:

JoCo, did I hear correctly that Carl now owns the JB&B product line?

Their sauces are not too bad. Like you, I'm a big Scott's fan for my bbq. Got homemade (3 generations worth) for chicken and ribs.

Yep, Scott's is just hard to beat. Like Joco said, I've tried making my own but it's hardly worth the time or energy since Scott's is just as good.
JocoPack
Civilized said:

JocoPack said:

BTG,

I saw a headline about that a couple of weeks ago! Who's the new operator?

I haven't heard any names but supposedly the new owners have BBQ restaurant experience. I ran into Sam Jones at a concert in Raleigh a couple of years ago and apparently Wilbur Shirley had reached out to him several times about buying it but with the new bypass he didn't want it.
Civilized
JocoPack said:

I haven't heard any names but supposedly the new owners have BBQ restaurant experience. I ran into Sam Jones at a concert in Raleigh a couple of years ago and apparently Wilbur Shirley had reached out to him several times about buying it but with the new bypass he didn't want it.

Great story! I was so curious to see who'd buy it. Would have been a shame just to let it die out.

Do you have a favorite ENC BBQ joint?
kbdavis33
Mannnnn tonight I did it up. Cold smoked boneless ribeye and some cilantro garlic lime marinated shrimp on the grill. Just fantastic

Butchers market on wake forest rd, highly recommend
wilmwolf
Whenever I come up to games or to see friends I always bring a cooler and stop there and stock up. Their tenderloin tips are a favorite. One time I stopped there but didn't have my cooler, and the clerk went in the back and used the vacuum sealer and sealed up some ice for me. Top notch place.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
JocoPack
Civilized said:

JocoPack said:

Great story! I was so curious to see who'd buy it. Would have been a shame just to let it die out.

Wilbur's was up there in the top 3. Skylight Inn and B's in Greenville are good spots. Marty's in Wilson has excellent Que as well.
Tootie4Pack
Good call on the BBQ restaurants you listed. Wilbers has always been a favorite, as well as the Skylight Inn in Ayden. Nothing like the crunchy Q from the Skylight. I like B's, too, but here are some other places to check out.

Bum's in Ayden is great. They have a full menu and their collards and Brunswick stew are delicious. He leaves a little skin & fat on some of the skin and the smoke from the wood turns those little specs black, and that Smokey flavor is outstanding. Sam Jones place in Winterville is also mighty good. Quite a bit more upscale than the Skylight.

One of he best kept secrets in the entire state is Grady's in Dudley. Everything they cook is delicious ..,,collards, cabbage, butter beans, and their sweet potatoes pie is OOTW. Their BBQ and slaw are great..
and as someone who loves eastern NC BBQ, it might be the very best. Worth the trip.

Stephenson's on Hwy 50 just south of Garner is also delicious. A full menu of good country cooking.

One of my long time favorites was Cobb's BBQ in Farmville. Cooked over wood and delicious. Mr Cobb retired almost 2 years ago and the restaurant is closed.
JocoPack
I have ate at Grady's and Stephenson's a few times and you're right, both are great. Just the look of Grady's tells you it's good haha. I haven't been to Stephenson's in a while but man they have great BBQ chicken. I have ate at Sam Jones' place a couple of times as well. Definitely more upscale than Skylight. He's supposedly opening one in Raleigh as well.

Edited-to-add: While The Pit was good, one of my all time favorites was Ed Mitchell's joint in Wilson. That man can cook some great BBQ, he just struggles on the business side of things I've heard.
Tootie4Pack
Yes , Ed's Mitchell's place was great. Delicious food. Just had/ has trouble balancing the check book.

You are right about Grady's ...a white cinderblock building in the middle of no where. ( there are some nice new subdivisions in the area). Super nice folks there, too.

With all of the great Cooks/Chefs/Master Grillers on here, it sounds like James needs to have an official IPS "Grill-Out Grill-Off" in the future when there is a vaccine for the corona virus. We can let the Master Grillers cook for the rest of us amateur Grillers and we can have a judge the food contest. Somewhere in the CF parking lots.
Pacfanweb
Not cooked over wood, but Doug Sauls BBQ in Nashville is pretty good.

The atmosphere is definitely what it should be for an old-time Q joint.
Civilized
I need to go on a BBQ tour of NC. So many good spots I haven't tried yet.
Bell Tower Grey
JocoPack said:

Civilized said:

JocoPack said:

Wilbur's was up there in the top 3. Skylight Inn and B's in Greenville are good spots. Marty's in Wilson has excellent Que as well.
I second this. Wilber's has been my all time favorite. Hopefully the new edition will bring great bbq back to Goldsboro. Marty has done a great job with his place; hands down best bbq in the Wilson area.

B's is good. I hope Grady's reopens because that place is truly a diamond in the rough. And Bunn's in Windsor is still consistently good, even though they have been flooded out numerous times the past several years.
Bell Tower Grey
Civilized said:

We need to get a group together, decide on "X" number of bbq joints to visit, then rent a passenger van and driver to take us on a two or three day bbq eating and beverage sampling road trip.
Civilized
Bell Tower Grey said:

Civilized said:

We need to get a group together, decide on "X" number of bbq joints to visit, then rent a passenger van and driver to take us on a two or three day bbq eating and beverage sampling road trip.

IN
Tootie4Pack
Marty's in Wilson is very, very good. Also tasty BBQ. And their Turkey Q served on Tuesday is also great Q.
JocoPack
Another good thing Marty's has is fried oysters. Although, they're not as good as right down the road at Parker's. Hands down best fried oysters I've ever had and that includes seafood joints on the coast.
Tootie4Pack
JoCo, my Grandfather was an old time Beaufort County farmer, fisherman, and hunter. In his time, he was one of the best hunters and fishermen Down East. And he loved fried oysters, And he loved the fried oysters at Parker's in Wilson and also in Greenville. Like you, he said they were the best he had ever eaten anywhere.

As he got older and his driving was not good to drive from Pinetown to Greenville, he would ask my parents to come visit on certain weekends so they could go and get oysters at Parker's. Great memories. Thanks for mentioning the fried oysters.
Bell Tower Grey
JocoPack said:

Another good thing Marty's has is fried oysters. Although, they're not as good as right down the road at Parker's. Hands down best fried oysters I've ever had and that includes seafood joints on the coast.
I have to agree with you regarding the oysters. Not a fan of the bbq at Parker's, but the fried oysters are as good as an oyster lover would ever want. Marty's oysters are good also, but right now, not quite on par with Parker's.

And, if you're ever close to Rich Square, the oysters at Claudine's will definitely fill a void.
JocoPack
I'll have to check those out.

I'm with you on Parker's. At one time it would be heresy to speak bad about their BBQ, but their method of chopping(I believe they use a buffalo chopper) renders their que into almost a mush. I do tend to like their mustard based slaw, and my good friend's family runs the mill that provides them with the delicious corn sticks and hush puppies.
Bell Tower Grey
JocoPack said:

I'll have to check those out.

I'm with you on Parker's. At one time it would be heresy to speak bad about their BBQ, but their method of chopping(I believe they use a buffalo chopper) renders their que into almost a mush. I do tend to like their mustard based slaw, and my good friend's family runs the mill that provides them with the delicious corn sticks and hush puppies.
"Mush" is right about the bbq. Almost like bb's. Slaw is good, probably my favorite of anywhere. Their fried chicken is still good as well.

I believe Parker's uses Atkinson products. They are delicious, as are all Atkinson products.. Made me sad when I learned that Mrs. Wheeler recently passed away. They are good people.
JocoPack
Yes they are. Her grandson and I are best friends. Mr. Ray is still getting along pretty good and the business is booming. I get a box of "product" every year at Christmas haha
ncsupack1
Grilled some really good burgers last night with home made fries. Thinking about doing some ribs today.
ncsupack1
Ribs are tomorrow, stopped by HT and grabbed some nice ribeye for me and the Mrs....will throw those bad boys on the ol Weber later.
Bell Tower Grey
Picked up a two pounds of fresh shrimp this morning from the seafood market in Washington, and bought 2 nice rib eyes from the butcher, and a handle of Maker's when I got home. Grilled surf and turf and a little bourbon tonight.
Steve Videtich
Did a corn beef brisket with a Hawaiian style BBQ sauce on the Traeger. Some rye bread and sweet tea, it was a good day!
packgrad
Nice. I've been smoking for 25 years and still haven't smoked a corned beef. That looks great.
Civilized
Yep, that looks incredible. Huge fan of corned beef on rye, even better if you smoke the beef yourself!
Tootie4Pack
That looks delicious , or as my teenagers say, it looks
" smackable." Enjoy !!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.