Grilling Thread

141,113 Views | 1158 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Seawolf2010
Skylitdrive
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ncsupack1 said:

I must be honest, I've never seen or used one. How are they?
They are amazing. All of my stick burner buddies have bought them now and absolutely love them. Guys like Matt from Meatchurch, Heath Riles, and Malcom Reed all use Traeggers but Recteq is right in line with them as far as quality. They keep food so juicy and tender it's amazing.
TheStorm
Skylitdrive said:

ncsupack1 said:

They are amazing. All of my stick burner buddies have bought them now and absolutely love them. Guys like Matt from Meatchurch, Heath Riles, and Malcom Reed all use Traeggers but Recteq is right in line with them as far as quality. They keep food so juicy and tender it's amazing.
One of these days, I'm going to have to ditch the convenience of the gas grill and move up to something more sophisticated... I think I'd really enjoy it.
Skylitdrive
TheStorm said:

Skylitdrive said:

ncsupack1 said:

One of these days, I'm going to have to ditch the convenience of the gas grill and move up to something more sophisticated... I think I'd really enjoy it.
I'll tell you, these pellet smokers are super convenient. The big ones I have will cook anywhere between 200 and 500 degrees. The small ones I have will cook from 200 all the way to 1000 degrees, perfect for searing steaks!! Plus, almost all of them have wifi on them and with the app you can change temperature and monitor the probe temps. On long cooks you can monitor and adjust temps and set alerts from anywhere thanks to the wifi so you don't have to worry about leaving and going somewhere else for a while. I can even turn on my grill up at Lake Gaston as we speak !
Wufpack17
I have 3 grills

Gas - good for quick dinners when time is a factor. There's several foods I just won't cook indoors, like fish.

Charcoal - I use hardwood lump which is fantastic for flavor. More time consuming getting a charcoal grill going, but it's the best flavor. It's also versatile to the point that I can smoke things like ribs

Pellet Smoker - Too convenient for long cooks. I've cooked a 14 lb butt overnight and never had to touch the smoker. I used to have a traditional smoker, it was labor intensive, and truthfully it was a pain maintaining temp. I would have to stay home all day to make sure it was still hot enough.

Not a grill - I have a Ooni for Pizzas. One of the best purchases I've ever made. I've found a really simple dough recipe that I make every couple of weeks. It makes fantastic pizzas.

Sunday I'll be smoking a whole chicken on the Traeger.
TheStorm
Skylitdrive said:

TheStorm said:

Skylitdrive said:

ncsupack1 said:

I'll tell you, these pellet smokers are super convenient. The big ones I have will cook anywhere between 200 and 500 degrees. The small ones I have will cook from 200 all the way to 1000 degrees, perfect for searing steaks!! Plus, almost all of them have wifi on them and with the app you can change temperature and monitor the probe temps. On long cooks you can monitor and adjust temps and set alerts from anywhere thanks to the wifi so you don't have to worry about leaving and going somewhere else for a while. I can even turn on my grill up at Lake Gaston as we speak !
That's incredible. I don't think I'd know where to even start.
TheStorm
Wufpack17 said:

I have 3 grills

Gas - good for quick dinners when time is a factor. There's several foods I just won't cook indoors, like fish.

Charcoal - I use hardwood lump which is fantastic for flavor. More time consuming getting a charcoal grill going, but it's the best flavor. It's also versatile to the point that I can smoke things like ribs

Pellet Smoker - Too convenient for long cooks. I've cooked a 14 lb butt overnight and never had to touch the smoker. I used to have a traditional smoker, it was labor intensive, and truthfully it was a pain maintaining temp. I would have to stay home all day to make sure it was still hot enough.

Not a grill - I have a Ooni for Pizzas. One of the best purchases I've ever made. I've found a really simple dough recipe that I make every couple of weeks. It makes fantastic pizzas.

Lol. Now that's beyond incredible!

(my wife would kill me)
Wufpack17
TheStorm said:

Wufpack17 said:

I have 3 grills

(my wife would kill me)

I do all of the cooking, so whatever I say, goes. Haha
Skylitdrive
TheStorm said:

Wufpack17 said:

I have 3 grills

(my wife would kill me)
Lol. well you only die once, mine as well have an awesome grill when it happens!!
Skylitdrive
Wufpack17 said:

TheStorm said:

Wufpack17 said:

I have 3 grills

(my wife would kill me)

I do all of the cooking, so whatever I say, goes. Haha
Nice, I try that too. Never works lol.
ncsupack1
Gonna have to look at these things. To be honest I love my Webers.
Skylitdrive
ncsupack1 said:

Please do. I promise you won't regret it. I've used webers for years but these are just so easy and stuff just always turns out so good. Some of the cheaper pellet smokers like pit boss aren't quite as good as far as quality but they've definitely tried to step it up. Biggest issue I had with Pit boss was temperature control. The metal isn't as thick so the temperatures would fluctuate way more resulting in inconsistent cooks. All of the recteqs I've had stay within 5 degrees of the set temp. Just saying, if you are gonna get one, spend a little money and it'll be worth it.

I just sold my 2 year old Recteq to my brother in law for same price I paid for it. Ordered the new 380x with the 15% coupon yesterday. Looking forward to testing it out.
TheStorm
Skylitdrive said:

ncsupack1 said:

Please do. I promise you won't regret it. I've used webers for years but these are just so easy and stuff just always turns out so good. Some of the cheaper pellet smokers like pit boss aren't quite as good as far as quality but they've definitely tried to step it up. Biggest issue I had with Pit boss was temperature control. The metal isn't as thick so the temperatures would fluctuate way more resulting in inconsistent cooks. All of the recteqs I've had stay within 5 degrees of the set temp. Just saying, if you are gonna get one, spend a little money and it'll be worth it.

I just sold my 2 year old Recteq to my brother in law for same price I paid for it. Ordered the new 380x with the 15% coupon yesterday. Looking forward to testing it out.
Ahem.

Pictures of both please.
Skylitdrive
TheStorm said:

Skylitdrive said:

ncsupack1 said:

Ahem.

Pictures of both please.

The one I had-

https://www.recteq.com/collections/wood-pellet-grills/products/rt-b380-wood-pellet-grill#

The one I'm getting-

https://www.recteq.com/collections/wood-pellet-grills/products/rt-b380x-bullseye-deluxe#
TheStorm
Thank you!
Cthepack
TheStorm said:

Thank you!
A little late to the discussion but I have: A gas grill, an egg, a charcoal grill and a pellet grill. Bought the pellet for ease of use with capability of smoking. The knock on pellet vs the egg was high temps. I have an oklahoma Joe pellet bought at ACE Hardware. Nothing fancy. I can get the pellet grill up to 600 degrees which allows me to sear.

Basically bbq/grill 90% of the time on the pellet. Never use the charcoal or the gas.

You need to get one!
ncsupack1
Going easy today, burgers, dogs, and fries. Going to be opening beer one here soon. Nice day.
ncsupack1
With tomorrow looking kinda crappy thinking about firing up the Weber today.
ncsupack1
Bringing this thread back to page one. Yesterday was burgers and dogs. Today is Smithfield ribs smoked with homemade mac and cheese.
ncsupack1
Anyone else doing some grilling this weekend?
Skylitdrive
Been a while. Been into getting these cowboy ribeyes from Sam's in Wake Forest. I usually get a 2.5. - 3 lb ribeye because they are so good leftover and even microwaved, crazy huh. Been reverse searing them at 225 for about 1-1.5 hrs til it gets to 120 or so and then I throw it on the bullseye at 500 degrees with sear plates down. About 3 minutes per side or until 130. Let it rest and it gives you the perfect medium rare steak. And good lord, the smoke flavor is insane.
Skylitdrive
Skylitdrive said:

Been a while. Been into getting these cowboy ribeyes from Sam's in Wake Forest. I usually get a 2.5. - 3 lb ribeye because they are so good leftover and even microwaved, crazy huh. Been reverse searing them at 225 for about 1-1.5 hrs til it gets to 120 or so and then I throw it on the bullseye at 500 degrees with sear plates down. About 3 minutes per side or until 130. Let it rest and it gives you the perfect medium rare steak. And good lord, the smoke flavor is insane.

Skylitdrive
Finley
Nice cook. I've had my rt-680 for about 5yrs. Great grill but discontinued now. Almost bit the bullet and also got the bullseye but haven't yet.
Skylitdrive
Finley said:

Nice cook. I've had my rt-680 for about 5yrs. Great grill but discontinued now. Almost bit the bullet and also got the bullseye but haven't yet.

Yeah. I have the 700 and the 1250. And got the 380x. Definitely worth it to me over bullseye I had. A lot of nicer features that I missed on the bullseye
TheStorm
Wufpack17 said:

I have 3 grills

Backing up here a little to ask more questions...

What exactly do you have and what kind of footprint do they take up? Pictures of your setup would be great!
TheStorm
Skylitdrive said:

Skylitdrive said:

Whoa.

I somehow missed these pictures until now...
ncsupack1
Skylitdrive said:

Nice setup!
ncsupack1
TheStorm said:

Skylitdrive said:

Skylitdrive said:

Whoa.

Now I gotta hit my butcher!
Skylitdrive
ncsupack1 said:

TheStorm said:

Skylitdrive said:

Skylitdrive said:

Whoa.

Do it man, so good. Ive been making a compound butter but didn't have time last night. but I use Kerrygold butter, shallots, and rosemary. I usually put it on the steak when I pull it and tent it with foil while it rests. Adds an amazing flavor profile with fresh herbs in it!
ncsupack1
Skylitdrive said:

ncsupack1 said:

TheStorm said:

Skylitdrive said:

Skylitdrive said:

Whoa.

Do it man, so good. Ive been making a compound butter but didn't have time last night. but I use Kerrygold butter, shallots, and rosemary. I usually put it on the steak when I pull it and tent it with foil while it rests. Adds an amazing flavor profile with fresh herbs in it!

Everything looks awesome. Going have to.
ncsupack1
Burgers yesterday. Ribs today. Haven't smoked anything in a while. Anyone else?
JocoPack

Couple of Trader Joe's bone-in chops last night. Seasoned with SPG and marinated/served with TJ's Soyaki sauce (if you've never had that then go right now and get some)
It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.
ncsupack1
Had to rescue this thread. Picked up some nice ribeye for tomorrow. Anyone else grilling this weekend?
PackMom
Here's the grilling thread.
ncsupack1
Picked up some chicken legs to grill this evening if the weather permits. Also grabbed a bottle of Gentlemen Jack. Happy Friday!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.