Grilling Thread

140,569 Views | 1158 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Seawolf2010
ncsupack1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nothing today, but I've got a shoulder for tomorrow's race. Sides haven't been decided yet.
ncsupack1
Pork shoulder on....time to sit back and enjoy the day.
Tootie4Pack
Going to be cooking some extra thick cut chops from Acre Station Meat Farm and some fresh tuna steaks this evening.

Looking forward to it!
Bell Tower Grey

Prepped this 8 lb. butt last night. Put it on the smoker this morning. Good ol' eastern style bbq dinner tonight. Chopped, with vinegar based sauce, bbq boiled potatoes, homemade slaw and hush puppies.
Bell Tower Grey

Turned out pretty good.
Steve Videtich
Very nice!
Tootie4Pack
We'll be by for leftovers tomorrow evening.

Edit: My bad, meant to send to Bell TG. Might take us a little longer to get out to Utah to visit you, Steve.
Steve Videtich
Tootie4Pack said:

Edit: My bad, meant to send to Bell TG. Might take us a little longer to get out to Utah to visit you, Steve.

Let me know when you're on your way so I can get the spread ready.
Bell Tower Grey
Tootie4Pack said:

C'mon over. Put a couple of lbs. in the freezer. Will eat the rest tonight or tomorrow.
Bell Tower Grey
Smoked some wings this afternoon. Wife fixed homemade garlic, parmesan sticks.

Steve Videtich
Cooler day here in Utah. Making soup!
Bell Tower Grey
Steve Videtich said:

Cooler day here in Utah. Making soup!
It's getting that time. I may fix chili one day this week.
brickturner
Sorta off the wall, but my niece has pointed out to me we often say fix, or fix'n to in odd ways. But I know what you mean.
packgrad
Had a unique meal of leftovers. Risotto, fried liver pudding, and salad.
Bell Tower Grey
brickturner said:

Sorta off the wall, but my niece has pointed out to me we often say fix, or fix'n to in odd ways. But I know what you mean.
I'm 61 years old, and have heard fix or fix'n to, all my life. Maybe it's just a Johnston County thing. Kinda like asking someone where they stay. We've interchanged that with "live" for as long as I can remember.

But, I will be fixing chili this week.
Bell Tower Grey
packgrad said:

Had a unique meal of leftovers. Risotto, fried liver pudding, and salad.
Sounds like a K & W visit for some folks. Leftovers ain't gonna eat themselves. Kudos to you for being able to eat liver pudding. I'll gladly give you my share.
Bell Tower Grey
I do a lot of my experimenting with new recipes cooking during the week and save weekends mainly for tried and true favorites. For a little change of pace, tonight I pepared a marinade of worcestershire sauce, Lawry's seasoning salt, a "few dashes" of smoked paprika and a liberal amount of kosher salt, then rubbed it on these ribeyes. Left them on a baker's rack on the counter for about an hour before I put them on the charcoal (had just picked them up from the butcher, so they were not refrigerated after they left his shop)..

They were quite tender, with a deeper beef flavor than I've had in quite a while from a home cooked steak. Not sure what brought that out, but I will definitely try this again. Certainly when we have friends over, in order to get their opinion. In the past, I've typically just season the steaks with kosher salt and a little black pepper before cooking.
Bell Tower Grey
Everyone quit grilling?
FlossyDFlynt
Nope, its just been a ***** and a half to get my warranty claim to process. Still sidelined, probably another month.

I am very, very annoyed
Bell Tower Grey
FlossyDFlynt said:

Nope, its just been a ***** and a half to get my warranty claim to process. Still sidelined, probably another month.

I am very, very annoyed
Another month? That's unexcusable. I can definitely appreciate your frustration.

Gonna light mine up tonight with some rib eyes and chicken. Picked up a couple of nice racks of spare ribs today that I'm cutting down into St Louis style, then plan to smoke over the weekend.

Grabbed a bottle of Sweet Bourbon Glaze as well....never tried it, but it has a good flavor. Not sure what I'll use it on first, but I'm looking forward to trying it.
kbdavis33
Bell Tower Grey said:

I do a lot of my experimenting with new recipes cooking during the week and save weekends mainly for tried and true favorites. For a little change of pace, tonight I pepared a marinade of worcestershire sauce, Lawry's seasoning salt, a "few dashes" of smoked paprika and a liberal amount of kosher salt, then rubbed it on these ribeyes. Left them on a baker's rack on the counter for about an hour before I put them on the charcoal (had just picked them up from the butcher, so they were not refrigerated after they left his shop)..

They were quite tender, with a deeper beef flavor than I've had in quite a while from a home cooked steak. Not sure what brought that out, but I will definitely try this again. Certainly when we have friends over, in order to get their opinion. In the past, I've typically just season the steaks with kosher salt and a little black pepper before cooking.

What temp/how long did you have that on?

Interesting grill lines with such a rare center
Bell Tower Grey
kbdavis33 said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

What temp/how long did you have that on?

Interesting grill lines with such a rare center
Used a vortex with lump hardwood charcoal in the center of my 22" Weber kettle. Temp was steady 500 F. Marks came from placing steaks on grill grate directly over the fire for 1 min. each side, turning at 30 seconds to get the marks, then moving off the direct flame.. Total cook time was about 5 minutes for the rare. Plated them on warm plates, covered loosely with aluminum foil, until time for serving.
kbdavis33
Looks great
ncsupack1
Gonna grill something this later today....haven't decided what just yet. Also, gonna smoke a turkey this Sunday for the race. Gonna be a try run cause wife wants a smoked turkey for thanksgiving, any ideas or suggestions? Never have done one, but looking on line doesn't seem too hard.
Bell Tower Grey
ncsupack1 said:

Gonna grill something this later today....haven't decided what just yet. Also, gonna smoke a turkey this Sunday for the race. Gonna be a try run cause wife wants a smoked turkey for thanksgiving, any ideas or suggestions? Never have done one, but looking on line doesn't seem too hard.
You smoking the entire turkey or just a breast for the trial run?

If you're doing the entire turkey, you should probably use some type of injection to help keep the meat moist. Maybe even the breast, too.
packgrad
ncsupack1 said:

I brine my turkeys that I smoke. Season with preferred rub (edit to add... season after taking out of brine). Then just like anything else, low and slow until you get to your desired temp.

The skin will look beautiful, but will not be good. Rubbery.
ncsupack1
Bell Tower Grey said:

ncsupack1 said:

If you're doing the entire turkey, you should probably use some type of injection to help keep the meat moist. Maybe even the breast, too.

Yes, I plan on smoking the whole thing.
Bell Tower Grey
ncsupack1 said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

ncsupack1 said:

Admittedly, I'm a fan of brining, both chicken and turkey. I also inject turkeys when I cook them, either by smoking or frying. I usually use apple cider, honey, butter and a little cayenne for turkeys. Have added beer on occasion.
ncsupack1
Bell Tower Grey said:

ncsupack1 said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

ncsupack1 said:

Admittedly, I'm a fan of brining, both chicken and turkey. I also inject turkeys when I cook them, either by smoking or frying. I usually use apple cider, honey, butter and a little cayenne for turkeys. Have added beer on occasion.
I been reading today trying to figure out which way I wanna go. Seems both have their pluses.
Bell Tower Grey
ncsupack1 said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

ncsupack1 said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

ncsupack1 said:

I been reading today trying to figure out which way I wanna go. Seems both have their pluses.
I don't think there is a wrong decision, either way. I've brined then used an injection and dry rub for both smoking and frying. I guess it depends on what you've either been taught, seen done or just want to experiment with.

I'm smoking one for Thanksgiving using apple pellets in the fuel, and a dry rub of brown sugar, kosher salt, thyme, rosemary and black pepper. Simple things that almost everyone can / will eat.
ncsupack1
Bell Tower Grey said:

ncsupack1 said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

ncsupack1 said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

ncsupack1 said:

I don't think there is a wrong decision, either way. I've brined then used an injection and dry rub for both smoking and frying. I guess it depends on what you've either been taught, seen done or just want to experiment with.

I'm smoking one for Thanksgiving using apple pellets in the fuel, and a dry rub of brown sugar, kosher salt, thyme, rosemary and black pepper. Simple things that almost everyone can / will eat.
Your point is also a issue, I'm trying to please everyone.
Bell Tower Grey
ncsupack1 said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

ncsupack1 said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

ncsupack1 said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

ncsupack1 said:

Your point is also a issue, I'm trying to please everyone.
Remember what the late Ricky Nelson sang about, brother...
packgrad
I've tried a combo of smoking and frying once, and the skin still did not turn out well. I'm going to try that again though one of these days. Maybe a little less time smoking, and a little more time frying.

I love smoking, and I'll probably cook my turkey on my newish toy, the Joetisserie, this year, but its hard to beat a fried turkey.
Bell Tower Grey
pg, you are right. Fried turkey, done properly, is a gift from the food gods.

I've used that same technique a couple of times to fry whole chickens when I just wanted to play around to see how they would be. They turned out as good as the turkey does.
ncsupack1
Bell Tower Grey said:

pg, you are right. Fried turkey, done properly, is a gift from the food gods.

I've used that same technique a couple of times to fry whole chickens when I just wanted to play around to see how they would be. They turned out as good as the turkey does.
My brother-in-low does a great fried turkey.....so good.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.