Grilling Thread

139,451 Views | 1158 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by Seawolf2010
WolfpackCPA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Exactly why I bought it - same price in Wilmington. If anybody plans on making prime rib the mistake I made is not leaving it on the counter 2 hours before cooking. It takes a really long time for the internal temperature to be the same for an even cook. Goodluck!
packgrad
FlossyDFlynt said:

Speaking of, for those in Raleigh, the Harris Teeter near me was running a great special on these

Thanks for the heads up. Just picked up a 9 pounder to cook on the Joetisserie Christmas Eve.
Bell Tower Grey
Didn't grill tonight, but did grind beef for burgers. Cooked them on the flat top. Also cooked some bacon with them, then fried some onion in the bacon grease. Topped the burger with pimento cheese just before service. Toasted some sourdough buns, the built the burger with melted pimento cheese, onions then the bacon. Paired it with a Four Roses Small Batch with a big cube. I'm stuffed.
ncsupack1
Speaking of grilling. Thinking of doing something different for Christmas and picking up some nice cuts of meat for the family. Need to start looking at my local butcher.
ncsupack1
Sounds good.
JocoPack
Not sure how many you're cooking for but I started doing prime rib a few years ago for my crowd and I think it's here to stay as tradition.
It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.
ncsupack1
That's what I was thinking of doing. Wife and I just want to do something different.
ncsupack1
Got some nice short ribs on. Wanted something different today.
Bell Tower Grey
ncsupack1 said:

Got some nice short ribs on. Wanted something different today.
Do you sauce your short ribs either while cooking or with service?

I always enjoyed the beef ribs at Darryl's (since they were furnished by Angus Barn, they were always quality) and that dark, rich sauce with them.

There was a time after Darryl's sold to General Foods, then went away, that you could find that sauce bottled and available in the grocery store. I believe Garner Foods in Winston-Salem (Texas Pete folks) distributed it. Sadly, it's not been available for a while now it seems.
JocoPack
Patty melts off the Blackstone
ncsupack1
I just do the side. Always turn out fine.
Sierrawolf
Stumbled upon a deal on a Traeger yesterday that I couldn't pass up. I have always wanted another Kamado to replace my old Akorn but figured this would be fun as well. Anybody have good tips or recipes?
Steve Videtich
Sierrawolf said:

Stumbled upon a deal on a Traeger yesterday that I couldn't pass up. I have always wanted another Kamado to replace my old Akorn but figured this would be fun as well. Anybody have good tips or recipes?

They are pretty easy to use. My advice would be to enjoy it enjoy it as much as you can. I've done pretty much everything I could think of on mine. I've pretty much used the Internet to explore different recipes in order to find ones that I like. Best of luck, I love mine!
JocoPack
Good ribeyes tonight
ncsupack1
Looks good. We also grilled ribeye last night as well. No pics tho.
ncsupack1
Grilled some bbq chicken last night. Sides were kind of simple, asparagus and some mac and cheese. Got a nice pork shoulder going on the smoker as we speak for the races today. Sides are baked beans and rolls. Can't wait.
Bell Tower Grey

Smoked these St Louis ribs yesterday afternoon over a hickory and oak wood mix. Before smoking they were covered in a base of Oak Ridge rib rub, then a layer of Heath Riles Honey Chipotle rub. Let them cool,covered them with butter pats and brown sugar then wrapped them in foil and refrigerated them overnight.

Today, I let them come up to room temp, then into the oven at 425 for 20 minutes. Unwrapped them, basted them with a little bbq sauce (mix of Scott's and Stubbs' original), then back in the oven broiler for a couple of minutes to set the sauce.

Had a loaf of Italian bread that Mrs. BTG sliced and seasoned with butter and fresh roasted garlic, and some baked apples with cinnamon for the sides.
Tootie4Pack
Outstanding !! I'm sure it was delicious.
JocoPack
Looks great BTG…that butter and brown sugar is so good with some ribs

Here is the brisket I smoked yesterday. Rubbed heavy with Killer Hogs TX Brisket rub then a little bit of Lane's Ancho Espresso rub to build up some bark. Total trimmed weight was 11.2lb. Smoked on white oak chunks on the XL Egg. 225 for 10 hours. 5 on smoke, 5 wrapped in butcher paper. Made burned in with the point but the kids and my dad did away with them before I could get a picture.

packgrad
JocoPack said:

Looks great BTG…that butter and brown sugar is so good with some ribs

Here is the brisket I smoked yesterday. Rubbed heavy with Killer Hogs TX Brisket rub then a little bit of Lane's Ancho Espresso rub to build up some bark. Total trimmed weight was 11.2lb. Smoked on white oak chunks on the XL Egg. 225 for 10 hours. 5 on smoke, 5 wrapped in butcher paper. Made burned in with the point but the kids and my dad did away with them before I could get a picture.

That looks great! Well done.
packgrad
Smoked some venison meatloaf today. Turned out wonderful.

Bell Tower Grey
As much of a carnivore as I am, I've never been a fan of any type of meatloaf. However, the pics you posted are enough for me to give that a try. It looks great.
packgrad
If there is ever a meatloaf to draw people into the fold, it is smoked meatloaf.
ncsupack1
Going to grill a couple of lobster tail and some shrimp. Doing both on the Weber gas grill. Wanted something different and easy, sides are grilled Asparagus and creamed potatoes.
Sierrawolf
After spending some time with the Traeger I have to say that I preferred the flavor from my Akorn way more. Just can't seem to get much smoke flavor with the pellets. What am I doing wrong?
ncsupack1
Wish I could help. I've used one of those things.
Bell Tower Grey
Sierrawolf said:

After spending some time with the Traeger I have to say that I preferred the flavor from my Akorn way more. Just can't seem to get much smoke flavor with the pellets. What am I doing wrong?
Look up some of the Traeger videos on youtube. You may be able to find some help there. Might look up some of the Meat Church videos also - I believe he occasionally cooks on a Traeger device.

I'm still using the simple but effective Weber kettle and a smoke tube (which uses pellets).
OneOpinion
Sierrawolf said:

I haven't tried this because I have been pretty happy with what I get from my RecTec Bull, but I've heard good things about this https://amazingribs.com/ratings_reviews/heavy-d-increases-smoke-most-pellet-cookers/.
Bell Tower Grey
I ground up some beef this morning to make burgers tonight. Grilling them over some Jealous Devil.

Mrs.BTG cut up a couple of onions and put them in a buttermilk / Texas Pete marinade. She's going to flour them with black and red pepper seasoned ap and deep fry them.

Just now she said she's decided to fix a peach cobbler from peaches that she canned this past season.

Things are shaping up nicely about the time the women's basketball game starts.
WolfQuacker
Anyone have a reco on Napoleon grills? Looking at Prestige 500 to replace my Weber that's bitten the dust.
ncsupack1
Grilled burgers last night. Wife made homemade fries for a side. Kinda tricky with the wind...lol
packgrad
Busted out the Joetisserie and did a chicken. It was beautiful and delicious, but I think I prefer spatchcock. I love rotisserie Turkey and thought this would be my Cadillac too, but I like the skin texture better on spatchcock for chicken.

Ate tacos with it. Good meal.

WolfpackCPA
packgrad said:

Busted out the Joetisserie and did a chicken. It was beautiful and delicious, but I think I prefer spatchcock. I love rotisserie Turkey and thought this would be my Cadillac too, but I like the skin texture better on spatchcock for chicken.

What is this cooked on?
packgrad
WolfpackCPA said:

packgrad said:

What is this cooked on?

Kamado Joe Big Joe.
OneOpinion
WolfQuacker said:

Anyone have a reco on Napoleon grills? Looking at Prestige 500 to replace my Weber that's bitten the dust.
I bought a Napoleon Prestige 500 with the side sear burner and rear rotisserie burner last summer. I have enjoyed it so far. The sear burner does a dang good job.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.