Grilling Thread

141,036 Views | 1158 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Seawolf2010
Bell Tower Grey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wilmwolf80 said:

Only two tubs of beer?
Lol. One of them is on the way and he also has two icing down. My boys never let me down. He's also bring two half gallons of Makers 46. Knowing the other two like I do, they'll also show up bearing gifts.

Opened a Pernicious as I started prepping things. Wings will brine for a couple of hours. Wife has some pig candy, along with some mini-yeast rolls baking in the oven. Yeast rolls will be filled with county ham from yesterday, just to have to nibble on throughout the afternoon.

Here's a toast to those that were serving (and their families) that made the ultimate sacrifice for us to be able to enjoy doing things like this. Godspeed, good folks.
ncsupack1
Hit the butcher up today. Got some ribeye for tonight, and brisket burgers for tomorrow. Got plenty of beer and or liquor for the weekend.
Bell Tower Grey
The wings were good. Actually, quite good. Because they were small, some were more done than others.
However, given it's my first time using a vortex charcoal device, I can say I'm pleased. Once I get the cook times mastered with the various proteins, I am really going to like it.

After 8 minutes, the temp was holding steady at 500. Kept it for an hour long cook. Checked a while ago, and it's still there. I like it.

Thanks for the recommendation, wings.
ncsupack1
Brisket burgers were good. Not sure what we are getting into today food wise.
Bell Tower Grey
Keeping it simple today. Beer, burgers, baked beans and chips.
wilmwolf
Burgers this afternoon. Homemade fries probably, or potato salad, haven't decided. Probably have a beer. It's a really nice day here so far.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Tootie4Pack
The youngest daughter requested fresh tuna on the grill, and that is what I will be grilling a little later. Fresh roasted veggies and some smacking potato salad, too.
JocoPack
Today is National Burger Day so I'm doing some 80/20 smash burgers on the blackstone along with some fresh cut French fries. Going to put some "smack sauce" and lettuce on the burgers
wilmwolf
Grilling some filets and fixing sides just now when I got a work call and left the steaks for what I thought was a brief moment. Total disaster. All I can say is well done steak is better than no steak.
Bell Tower Grey
Is "Smack sauce" the same thing as "comeback sauce" ?
Bell Tower Grey
wilmwolf80 said:

Grilling some filets and fixing sides just now when I got a work call and left the steaks for what I thought was a brief moment. Total disaster. All I can say is well done steak is better than no steak.
Brother, at some point in all of our grilling careers, we've been there. Just a little more bourbon helps wash it all away.
Wingscupped
Bell Tower Grey said:

The wings were good. Actually, quite good. Because they were small, some were more done than others.
However, given it's my first time using a vortex charcoal device, I can say I'm pleased. Once I get the cook times mastered with the various proteins, I am really going to like it.

After 8 minutes, the temp was holding steady at 500. Kept it for an hour long cook. Checked a while ago, and it's still there. I like it.

Thanks for the recommendation, wings.
It definitely takes a couple of runs to get dialed in. I seared a Ribeye directly over it and then moved it to the side to finish. It's amazing how much a little piece of rolled stainless sheet can change the game.
Denverpack
I need a good recipe for traditional Eastern NC Barbeque. Having some folks over Friday night that have never had it before and need to impress.

I cook on a Rec-Tec pellet grill similar to a Traeger.

How do you guys like to do it?
Pacfanweb
Denverpack said:

I need a good recipe for traditional Eastern NC Barbeque. Having some folks over Friday night that have never had it before and need to impress.

2 cups apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp red pepper flakes
3 tablespoons hot sauce. I use Texas Pete
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon salt

I simmer in a saucepan very slowly for about 10 to 15 minutes. Let it cool and then pour it over the meat whenever you get ready.
You can also skip the simmering part and just shake it up in a container and put it in the refrigerator

Edit: Noticed I forgot to list the salt
Bell Tower Grey
Denverpack said:

Are you looking for the recipe for sauce, or for bbq itself? The sauce recipe from packfanweb is a good one to use; mine is similar.

If you're looking to cook the meat, having never used a Rec-Tec grill, I can't tell you specifics. However, you said pellet so I'm assuming a smoker.

This past weekend, I smoked a 7 lb. pork shoulder on my 22in Weber Kettle, using a vortex and water pan, with a lump charcoal snake, with hickory pellets sprinkled on the coal. . Dried the shoulder well, sprinkled it heavily with kosher salt, black pepper and a little texas pete dust and let it sit overnight. Put the shoulder on the next morning when grill temp was at 275 - stayed consistent at 275 280 all day - about 8 am, pulled it off the grill about 4 pm. Wrapped it in foil and let it rest about an hour before shredding it with meat claws.

Left the sauce off and let everyone add that to their liking. Everyone enjoyed it.

BBQ is a subjective meat; others cook differently, I'm sure. However, the end result was some of the best I've ever fixed and I've been cooking bbq as a hobby for 44 years.

This is a good group, with savvy cooks. Feel free to come back with your questions, as well as your results.
Denverpack
Thanks guys...I was looking for both really.

I've done a number of shoulders in the past and used various types of rubs, but have always used a more traditional barbeque sauce when serving.

I don't want the flavors of the rub and sauce to clash with one another so I like the idea of just keeping the seasoning basic like BTG suggests.

I'm going to go with that and will report back.

Need some good slaw as well, so if you have any recipes you like, post those too.

packgrad
I'm a big fan of Meatheads Memphis dust for pork. I actually use it as a finishing rub when I make burnt ends too. Most of the time when we make pulled pork I eat it plain, unless I'm making a sandwich and then I use a tomato based sauce from Alabama. I will be trying the above eastern based sauce next time I smoke a butt. I've used Jacks old south vinegar sauce recipe in the past and it's good Haven't settled in on and old reliable yet though.
Bell Tower Grey
Denverpack said:

Thanks guys...I was looking for both really.

I've done a number of shoulders in the past and used various types of rubs, but have always used a more traditional barbeque sauce when serving.

I don't want the flavors of the rub and sauce to clash with one another so I like the idea of just keeping the seasoning basic like BTG suggests.

I'm going to go with that and will report back.

Need some good slaw as well, so if you have any recipes you like, post those too.

I always season my smaller pieces like shoulders / butts the same as I do whole hog using just salt and pepper. A lot of salt. The texas pete dust is a new twist, as I recently discovered this hidden gem. Haven't used it on a whole hog, but do on everything else, including pork chops.

When I was in my early teens, I had the honor of learning how to cook pigs from an older man that, with his wife, owned a small country store out in then, parts unknown of Johnston County, NC. He built a bbq pit behind his store and cooked a whole hog every Thursday evening /night, then sold bbq sandwiches and ribs to his customers on Friday and Saturday. He always sold out. Was begged by several folks that offered to back him financially to open a bbq joint, but he never would. Said he was content with doing what he did, in addition to cooking pigs occasionally for civic group functions or private parties. He told me "always remember, the simple things are the best and they bring folks back". He was right. I don't vary much from what he taught me years ago, and I do get compliments occasionally for my bbq. He never would share his sauce recipe with me....always told me he would before he died. Sadly, that recipe went to Heaven with him. So, I created my own, based on what I did know he used. Mine's good, but it's not his.

If you google the book "NC BBQ, Flavored By Time" by Bob Garner, you will find recipes for eastern NC style bbq, as well as sauce and sides. They have a solid recipe for slaw. I use my great-grandmother's recipe that has been passed down over time. And no, I won't post it. Sorry.

Again, good luck with your dinner. Please let us know how it goes.
Bell Tower Grey
Wing flats sometime Saturday or Sunday. Got some shrimp today to grill as well.

Looks like it's going to be one of those "on the fly" type weekends. If I see something at the store I want more, then the menu is subject to change at the discretion of the cook.
wilmwolf
Grilled chops with olive oil, lemon pepper, chipotle, and onion powder. Smashed sweet potatoes on the side. Keeping it simple tonight.
packgrad
Ribeye over lump charcoal for me. Sous vide a filet for the wife in port and garlic. Seared each side over coals Wife also made some fancy blue cheese spread she put on her filet then put under the broiler. Ate with a salad.

Now pulling on a New World cigar sipping a VT on the porch.
Wlfpackamk
So I got my pellet smoke 4 weeks ago. Since then I've done Texas style shoulder, Memphis ribs, and beef ribs. Still no brisket. Been watching a lot of Aaron Franklin.

Bell Tower Grey
Wlfpackamk said:

So I got my pellet smoke 4 weeks ago. Since then I've done Texas style shoulder, Memphis ribs, and beef ribs. Still no brisket. Been watching a lot of Aaron Franklin.

All of that looks great. Gotta' say, the beef ribs take me back to the days of the original Darryl's....besides their pizza, the beef ribs were my favorite every time I went. Now, I gotta get some to smoke for myself. I use the beef rib meat in my hamburger mix.

Good job. Thanks for posting those.
Bell Tower Grey
Denverpack said:

Hey Denver, how did your dinner work out?
Bell Tower Grey
Damn, did he poison them all?
PackDaddy
The answer to that might have went to heaven with him!
Civilized
Perfect grilling weather tonight!

Doing bone-in thighs and drumsticks on the kamado.

Roasted broccoli and sweet potato fries as sides.

Lemon cheesecake mousse cups with homemade graham cracker crust to top it off. Made them last night and they're damn delicious. Perfect summer dessert!

Cheers!
Bell Tower Grey
It has been a beautiful day here. You're right, civilized, perfect grilling weather. I got some nice rib eyes this morning that I grilled tonight, along with bacon wrapped asparagus and corn on the cob.It went well with a King Estates Cab

Also picked up some ribs and pork chops to smoke on Sunday. Been a good weekend so far.

Cheers, everyone!
Bell Tower Grey
"Lemon cheesecake mousse cups with homemade graham cracker crust to top it off. Made them last night and they're damn delicious. Perfect summer dessert! "

Care to share that recipe? They sound great.

Pacfanweb
Marinated and grilled London Broil, sliced as thinly as I could. Eaten with sauteed onions and peppers on a sub roll.
Fresh corn on the cob and other veggies.

My 15 year old son with a hollow leg is on Sandwich #4 so far, lol.

Marinated in the same marinade used for filets at the Bridge Tender in Wilmington.

A great trick with many marinades is to simmer them after you take the meat out, until they are reduced down to a sauce. This stuff in particular, you could dip an oil filter in and it would be good.
Civilized
Bell Tower Grey said:

"Lemon cheesecake mousse cups with homemade graham cracker crust to top it off. Made them last night and they're damn delicious. Perfect summer dessert! "

Care to share that recipe? They sound great.

Yeah, buddy!

Lemon cheesecake mousse cups (makes ~6 servings)

Ingredients

1 package graham crackers, crushed
12 oz. cream cheese, softened to room temperature
1/3 C brown sugar
2/3 C powdered sugar
2/3 stick butter
Juice of 1 lemon
lemon zest
Pinch of sea salt
1 C whipped cream (or cool whip, if you're into that sort of nasty thing)
Lemon wedges and mint for garnish

Directions

1. Mix softened butter, crushed graham crackers, lemon zest, brown sugar, and salt in a bowl. Divide into 6 small dough balls.
2. Put parchment paper on baking sheet and press dough balls out into little flat 'crusts'.
3. Bake at 350 for around 10 minutes. **could be 8-12 minutes and once it starts browning it goes fast so watch closely**
4. After crusts have cooled, crack each into dessert cups or ramekins.
5. Whip cream cheese until fluffy. Add powdered sugar, lemon juice, and salt and beat until combined. Fold in whipped cream (after whipping it up with a little sugar, obv).
6. Divide cream cheese mixture into cups and place in refrigerator until thickened. (they thicken pretty well in 2 hours)
7. Pull out cups when ready to serve and top with remaining whipped cream. Garnish with a little crushed up graham cracker crust, lemon wedges, and mint.

You can add a little sugar to both the crust and the mousse if you want it sweeter, or swap out 1:1 with granular or confectioner's Erythritol like Swerve if you need to watch your carb/refined sugar intake.

Report back on how it turns out if you try it!
Civilized
Pacfanweb said:

Marinated and grilled London Broil, sliced as thinly as I could. Eaten with sauteed onions and peppers on a sub roll.

Marinated in the same marinade used for filets at the Bridge Tender in Wilmington.

A great trick with many marinades is to simmer them after you take the meat out, until they are reduced down to a sauce. This stuff in particular, you could dip an oil filter in and it would be good.

Oh, to have a 15 YO metabolism again!

That sounds incredible. Love steak marinade soaking into some delicious bread.

Did the Bridge Tender make their marinade recipe public or did you go through back channels?
Civilized
Bell Tower Grey said:

It has been a beautiful day here. You're right, civilized, perfect grilling weather. I got some nice rib eyes this morning that I grilled tonight, along with bacon wrapped asparagus and corn on the cob.It went well with a King Estates Cab

Also picked up some ribs and pork chops to smoke on Sunday. Been a good weekend so far.

Cheers, everyone!

Haha! Your weekend sounds like my weekend!

Bacon wrapped anything is great but I love that fatty, savory pork balancing the asparagus' bitterness. Great pairing.

Corn on the cob was right on time tonight I bet!

How was that Cab? When I'm drinking reds in the summer I have a hard time getting away from cabs and pinots; anything sweeter just tastes too heavy and jammy when it's warm out.

We're going 2-for-2 on the smoker this weekend too. Mom's bringing over a petit beef tenderloin tomorrow that I'll throw on the grill. Will be doing that with fresh green beans and potatoes and enjoying another nice evening cooking outside!
Bell Tower Grey
Thanks for the recipe. Will try that sooner than later.

The Cab was good, as always. I love the reds and drink them year round. Have to order it through Ridgewood because it's difficult to find. I guess my drinking palate is different because I enjoy a good porter or stout year round as well.
Pacfanweb
Civilized said:

Pacfanweb said:

Oh, to have a 15 YO metabolism again!

That sounds incredible. Love steak marinade soaking into some delicious bread.

Did the Bridge Tender make their marinade recipe public or did you go through back channels?
My best friend lives in Wilmington. A girl that worked for him, her boyfriend or husband was a chef there. So, "back channels", I guess, lol

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.