Grilling Thread

139,408 Views | 1158 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by Seawolf2010
Pakbackr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Back at the beginning of the COVID shut down, I bought the cheapest sous vide that Anova makes, have used it multiple times to cook filets and ribeyes. BEST steaks I have ever had, hands down!
ncsupack1
Civilized
Steve Videtich said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

This is the chicken (2 whole, split) right before I took it off the charcoal. Was cooked in the Weber with the vortex inverted; temp held at a steady 265. Was brined for about 3 hours. Put on coals at 5 pm, took them off about 7:45. Sauced every 10 min for last 30 or so.

I've been cooking chicken for about 46 years and thought I cooked good bird.....however, I picked up a cooking tip last week from a great friend that's cooked chicken for as long as I have been. My game just got upped. First time I've eaten an entire half chicken since I was at Keaton's last - which was at least 2 years ago.

Was paired with baked sweet potatoes, sliced cukes in vinegar, salt & pepper, and texas toast.

Beautiful looking birds! Been a minute since I did whole chickens. Need to get back on that!

Whole chickens is one of my favorites.

Give it a good rub of avo or olive oil with lots of salt and pepper and roast it really hot - 400 or even a little higher. I pull my pizza pan deflector 10-15 minutes before they're done and throw open the vents even more to spike the temp and really crisp the skin. Skin comes out perfectly golden brown and crispy and the meat is tender and juicy.

Sides of rice, black beans, and corn and fresh tomatoes from the garden if you got 'em. Awesome easy summer meal.

My kids call it "Mami Nora's style," after this really great Peruvian chicken joint in Raleigh (if you haven't been on a trip back to Raleigh, you should try it. It ain't fancy but it is delicious!)
Civilized
packgrad said:

Pacfanweb said:

The idea sounds awesome.

I've made them a couple of times, and was unimpressed. Maybe I need to try some at a smokehouse and see if it's just me.

Honestly, I'm not in the camp of thinking brisket in general is this great delicacy like some thing, but that's a personal preference. It's good. I like it. But not worth the effort and cost IMO.

It's my favorite. I smoke brisket more than butt and ribs.

I've smoked 100 butts and whole chickens and some ribs but I've never done brisket. Need to correct that.

Any keys? Do you wrap yours?
packgrad
Civilized said:

packgrad said:

Pacfanweb said:

The idea sounds awesome.

I've made them a couple of times, and was unimpressed. Maybe I need to try some at a smokehouse and see if it's just me.

Honestly, I'm not in the camp of thinking brisket in general is this great delicacy like some thing, but that's a personal preference. It's good. I like it. But not worth the effort and cost IMO.

I've smoked 100 butts and whole chickens and some ribs but I've never done brisket. Need to correct that.

I've done it wrapped and unwrapped. I read Aaron Franklins book. Have used the red paper, still have a metric ton of it, and foil. I think more often now I don't wrap it at all, unless I'm in a time crunch.

AF is big on salt and pepper only for his rub. I put other spices in mine. I like to brine mine sometimes too. I cook the whole packer until the point is in the 201-204 range. I think I read this advice on amazingribs.com and it has always been a winner. You want the temp probe to be able to go into the flat like it's going in to warm butter. That's when the flat is done.

When the flat is done I separate it from the point, wrap in foil, and toss in a cooler with a towel. I then cut the point into cubes, apply a finishing rub (I like a sweeter rub for this like Memphis Dust) and a light coating of bbq sauce (again sweet). Cook until caramelized.
Civilized
packgrad said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

Pacfanweb said:

The idea sounds awesome.

I've done it wrapped and unwrapped. I read Aaron Franklins book. Have used the red paper, still have a metric ton of it, and foil. I think more often now I don't wrap it at all, unless I'm in a time crunch.

AF is big on salt and pepper only for his rub. I put other spices in mine. I like to brine mine sometimes too. I cook the whole packer until the point is in the 201-204 range. I think I read this advice on amazingribs.com and it has always been a winner. You want the temp probe to be able to go into the flat like it's going in to warm butter. That's when the flat is done.

When the flat is done I separate it from the point, wrap in foil, and toss in a cooler with a towel. I then cut the point into cubes, apply a finishing rub (I like a sweeter rub for this like Memphis Dust) and a light coating of bbq sauce (again sweet). Cook until caramelized.

Sounds great, making me hungry. Looking forward to trying. Will save this for when I do. Thanks man.
Steve Videtich
Civilized said:

packgrad said:

Pacfanweb said:

The idea sounds awesome.

Here's what I do:
1. Set temperature to 225.
2. Cook fat side down until internal temperature is 160, about 5-6 hours. Yes, I know this doesn't sound right. Most say fat side up, which is what I always thought. But, the internal temperature took much longer fat side up.
3. When you hit 160, take it and wrap it in a heavy duty tinfoil or put it in a tin pan and close the top tightly. This time set it fat side up.
4. Put it back on the smoker until the internal temp hits 198-200. About 3-4 hours.
5. When you hit the temp, take it off the grill and place it in a cooler, wrapped in towels. Let it sit there for 1.5-2 hours.

Should be good to go from there! I've found this recipe to be consistent with the time and quality. Obviously depending on the size of your brisket. I usually do a 7-8 pound brisket. I've heard many a story of people planning a dinner, only to be delayed by the brisket taking too long.
packgrad
Steve Videtich said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

Pacfanweb said:

The idea sounds awesome.

Here's what I do:
1. Set temperature to 225.
2. Cook fat side down until internal temperature is 160, about 5-6 hours. Yes, I know this doesn't sound right. Most say fat side up, which is what I always thought. But, the internal temperature took much longer fat side up.
3. When you hit 160, take it and wrap it in a heavy duty tinfoil or put it in a tin pan and close the top tightly. This time set it fat side up.
4. Put it back on the smoker until the internal temp hits 198-200. About 3-4 hours.
5. When you hit the temp, take it off the grill and place it in a cooler, wrapped in towels. Let it sit there for 1.5-2 hours.

Should be good to go from there! I've found this recipe to be consistent with the time and quality. Obviously depending on the size of your brisket. I usually do a 7-8 pound brisket. I've heard many a story of people planning a dinner, only to be delayed by the brisket taking too long.

You know, I have literally never done the brisket fat side down. I've done it with butts, although I now always remove the fat cap on butts. But I've never done that with brisket. Will give that a go next time. I didn't do fat cap up for any specific reason, just that that's what I've always done.

Are you typically just doing a flat when you smoke yours?

I've definitely had a couple of meals over the years pushed back because of cooks going longer than planned. I always try to give hours long cushion now, since it stays piping hot for several hours in the cooler.
Pacfanweb
Interesting. I start them fat side up, so the smoke/heat is going directly into the meat from the start, because that's when most of the flavor is "taken on".

Then after a few hours, switch it to an aluminum pan, go fat side down, little apple juice in there, and the remaining fat starts melting and the resulting liquid is almost sinful, it's so good.

Edit: I'm talking butts here, not brisket
Pacfanweb
packgrad said:

Pacfanweb said:

packgrad said:

Steve Videtich said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

Mrs. is fixing country style steak with onion & mushroom gravy,mashed potatoes, limas and squash tonight.

I am grilling chickens tomorrow, but first am going hunting for a nice piece of slab bacon to turn into burnt ends on Sunday. Hopefully, I'll find a piece I want to use.

I have never tried burnt ends. I need to figure that one out.

There is nothing better in this world than smoked burnt ends. I make my entire point of a brisket into burnt ends.
The idea sounds awesome.

Oh, I've smoked some brisket, and it's good. I like it. Just not "all that" to me, but I do realize it's practically a religious thing in places like Texas, lol
packgrad
Pacfanweb said:

packgrad said:

Pacfanweb said:

packgrad said:

Steve Videtich said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

Mrs. is fixing country style steak with onion & mushroom gravy,mashed potatoes, limas and squash tonight.

I am grilling chickens tomorrow, but first am going hunting for a nice piece of slab bacon to turn into burnt ends on Sunday. Hopefully, I'll find a piece I want to use.

I have never tried burnt ends. I need to figure that one out.

There is nothing better in this world than smoked burnt ends. I make my entire point of a brisket into burnt ends.
The idea sounds awesome.

Oh, I've smoked some brisket, and it's good. I like it. Just not "all that" to me, but I do realize it's practically a religious thing in places like Texas, lol

I get it. Different strokes... The flat isn't better than butt or ribs. The point is just majestic to me.
Steve Videtich
packgrad said:

Steve Videtich said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

Pacfanweb said:

The idea sounds awesome.

You know, I have literally never done the brisket fat side down. I've done it with butts, although I now always remove the fat cap on butts. But I've never done that with brisket. Will give that a go next time. I didn't do fat cap up for any specific reason, just that that's what I've always done.

Are you typically just doing a flat when you smoke yours?

I've definitely had a couple of meals over the years pushed back because of cooks going longer than planned. I always try to give hours long cushion now, since it stays piping hot for several hours in the cooler.

When I first came across this idea of fat side down, I was surprised. I've always heard fat side up so the fat can seep into the meat. But, this recipe has always been really good and the timing is like clock work. So, it makes it fairly easy to time out for a planned meal.

Yes, I mostly do this with a flat. But, I think it could work with cutting off the point at some time during the process and working those into burnt ends. I'll have to give that a try.

I agree with the juice coming from the last step being in a pan versus wrapped. Last time I added some Hawaiian style bbq sauce once I moved it to the pan. It creates a nice juice for spooning over the meat of you choose.
Bell Tower Grey
Fellas, I'm sure y'all have heard "pics, or it didn't happen". Well, there are no pics. Suffice it to say, today is a day I should have just stayed in bed because all day long I've not been able to get much done without something going wrong.

As for the bacon burnt ends, I kept waiting for the news helicopter to fly over with live footage....it was like a bad wreck. I still haven't figured it out, but it's fine. There will be other attempts.

Mrs. BTG suggested a nice glass of bourbon, and she'll go get Chinese take out. I believe I'll let that happen.
Steve Videtich
This the world of grilling and smoking! Some days just don't work the way you plan, haha! Bourbon and another day!
Bell Tower Grey
Simple grilling tonight - boneless, skinless chicken breasts that I cubed after cooking, and shrimp. Both used to make tacos for dinner.
dwanna
Tried a new recipe tonight for smoked salmon on charcoal grill. Served with a apple mustard sauce. Turned out really well, and the salmon took on a good amount of smoke in about 25 minutes.
Steve Videtich
dwanna said:

Tried a new recipe tonight for smoked salmon on charcoal grill. Served with a apple mustard sauce. Turned out really well, and the salmon took on a good amount of smoke in about 25 minutes.

Loooove me some smoked salmon!
ncsupack1
Thinking about doing lobster for the first time. Any do or don't and any suggestions. Thanks
Bell Tower Grey
I keep it simple. I split the tails lengthwise, on the top. Don't cut all the way through, so tail stays intact (think hot dog bun style). Add just a little lemon juice and unsalted butter into slit. Grill over indirect charcoal for 10 - 15 minutes, depending on size of tails, until meat is opaque. Serve with melted butter for dipping
dwanna
I was on the opposite end of the lobster spectrum tonight... marinated flank steak with cilantro, green onions, garlic, and jalapeo. Reserve some marinade and mix with lime juice. After steak has rested/sliced, mix with reserved marinade mixture. Extremely tasty!
Bell Tower Grey
dwanna said:

I was on the opposite end of the lobster spectrum tonight... marinated flank steak with cilantro, green onions, garlic, and jalapeo. Reserve some marinade and mix with lime juice. After steak has rested/sliced, mix with reserved marinade mixture. Extremely tasty!
That sounds very good. From a recipe or your own creation?
ncsupack1
Thanks. Sounds simple.
dwanna
Bell Tower Grey said:

dwanna said:

It's a recipe... I have been using a lot of Americas Test kitchen recipes. I got a huge cookbook of theirs a couple years ago, and pretty much everything I have cooked out of there has been on point!
Bell Tower Grey
dwanna said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

dwanna said:

It's a recipe... I have been using a lot of Americas Test kitchen recipes. I got a huge cookbook of theirs a couple years ago, and pretty much everything I have cooked out of there has been on point!
Didn't they have a tv show on pbs or another channel at some point?
dwanna
Bell Tower Grey said:

dwanna said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

dwanna said:

Didn't they have a tv show on pbs or another channel at some point?

They did/do on PBS. I don't watch the show that often, but the book has 20 seasons of recipes. So it's pretty comprehensive. And like it hasn't disappointed me.
Steve Videtich
Pardon me for forgetting to take pictures! Got back on the whole chicken train tonight. Spatchcocked it out on the smoker, added a little olive oil and homemade seasoning. Served with some mac n cheese and garden peas. Good stuff!

Have a great weekend everybody!
Bell Tower Grey
Steve Videtich said:

Pardon me for forgetting to take pictures! Got back on the whole chicken train tonight. Spatchcocked it out on the smoker, added a little olive oil and homemade seasoning. Served with some mac n cheese and garden peas. Good stuff!

Have a great weekend everybody!
Sounds like a great start to the weekend!
Bell Tower Grey
Got up this morning and decided to fix bacon, egg and cheese english muffins. However, when Mrs. BTG got up, she said she'd rather have biscuits instead of english muffins. I gave her space to fix the biscuits. Here is the result

She knocked those cat heads out of the park.
Steve Videtich
That's worth getting up in the morning!
ncsupack1
Bell Tower Grey said:

Got up this morning and decided to fix bacon, egg and cheese english muffins. However, when Mrs. BTG got up, she said she'd rather have biscuits instead of english muffins. I gave her space to fix the biscuits. Here is the result

That looks great! Man.....
ncsupack1
None grilling, but the Mrs. is gonna do her fried chicken later with Scalloped Potatoes and her family's green beans.....don't know how they cook them but man those sucks are good....already having a Maker's.
Bell Tower Grey
ncsupack1 said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

That looks great! Man.....
It was. To paraphrase what General Johnson used to say after Danny Woods danced, "mama done good"

Since we weren't able to make our distillery trip today due to rain, I've decided to do vortex wings tonight.
I also bought some beef ribs to put on the smoker on Sunday. I'm going to try to get them as close as possible to the ones that Darryl's used to have....I know they got all their beef from Angus Barn and that AB still serves them, but if I can replicate a reasonably good rib to theirs, then I'll be glad.
waynecountywolf
JocoPack said:

Civilized said:

JocoPack said:

Smoking a 12lb butt for Saturday with the wife's family, then doing 5 racks of St. Louis style ribs on Sunday for the old man.

Nice!

Dry rub for the butt?

Sauce or rub (or both) for ribs?

Caribeque Honey Heat for the butts and the ribs. I'll also add some Meatchurch Honey Hog Hot(it's pretty dang spicy) to one rack of ribs for myself and my brother in law. I love some spice on my ribs lol.

Sauce for the barbecue will be some good ole Scott's sauce made right in Goldsboro. I've made some good sauce before but it's hard to beat Scott's. Sauce for the ribs will be a recipe I picked up from Carl Lewis(owner of Carl and Chelle's grill room in Goldsboro). For one batch is one stick of unsalted butter, one bottle of John Boy and Billy's grill sauce, some pepper jelly, and a dash of whatever rub I'm using. I'll smoke the ribs, wrap them in foil with some Parkay, honey, and brown sugar and let them finish cooking, then sauce them and let them get good and sticky on the grill. Those are all tips I picked up from some of my buddies that do competition events. If you're interested in the rub, check out Caribeque's website. Guy has some great products. He's got an "Island Thyme" rub that is killer on some chicken. He sells his rubs in bulk as well which is nice if you cook a lot.
Carl is a neighbor-known him a loooong time.
He knows how to cook.
Next time you see him ask him about some old stories about hanging out late night at the old IGA.
waynecountywolf
Bell Tower Grey said:

Civilized said:

I need to go on a BBQ tour of NC. So many good spots I haven't tried yet.
We need to get a group together, decide on "X" number of bbq joints to visit, then rent a passenger van and driver to take us on a two or three day bbq eating and beverage sampling road trip.
A friend and I discussed this yesterday. We need to add (Rodney)Scotts in Hemingway, Sc to the list.
waynecountywolf
JocoPack said:

BTG,

The way I understand it that sauce recipe is actually Carl's grandmother's and he went into business with JB&B with it.

Also, in case any of y'all haven't heard, Wilbur's BBQ in Goldsboro is set to reopen any day now. One of the few true-ENC whole hog cooked over wood joints left.
Wilber's today was good. Sorry I cannot post pics, it appears.
Talked with two carloads from Ohio in the parking lot- they had been twice this week likely on the way to coast and on the way back.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.