Grilling Thread

139,416 Views | 1158 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by Seawolf2010
Whitetailpack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
For all the Blackstone/Griddle guys -

About to pull the trigger on one of these to add to the arsenal. Anyone have the 2 burner 28" Blackstone or of the like? How do you like it? Enough room?

Anyone got any good recipes or what's the Best to cook on it?
packgrad
Emptied the venison out of the freezer this week (Opening day is this weekend) and made venison snack sticks. Grinded up everything that wasn't already hamburger or sausage, including some beef filet scraps and beef ribeye scraps. Had to pick up about 5# of ground chuck for the recipe also. Total pre cooked weight 25#s. Used a cure and mix from cabelas that included casings. Stuffed sausages. Got to cooking today. 10 hours later, everything is smoked, cooked, cooled, and now air drying. Tasted a couple and quite happy with the results. Remind me of Slim Jim's. Haven't had one of those in probably 10 years but it's what I remember.
Pics are of when I was using the grinder to stuff the casings. That didn't last long. Went and got a sausage stuffer from Tractor Supply and that process sped up 100 fold. Final pic is after smoking and cooling, letting them air dry. This is only about 1/3-1/2 of the final amount. There will be no shortage of snack sticks for the foreseeable future.

Civilized
packgrad said:

Emptied the venison out of the freezer this week (Opening day is this weekend) and made venison snack sticks. Grinded up everything that wasn't already hamburger or sausage, including some beef filet scraps and beef ribeye scraps. Had to pick up about 5# of ground chuck for the recipe also. Total pre cooked weight 25#s. Used a cure and mix from cabelas that included casings. Stuffed sausages. Got to cooking today. 10 hours later, everything is smoked, cooked, cooled, and now air drying. Tasted a couple and quite happy with the results. Remind me of Slim Jim's. Haven't had one of those in probably 10 years but it's what I remember.
Pics are of when I was using the grinder to stuff the casings. That didn't last long. Went and got a sausage stuffer from Tractor Supply and that process sped up 100 fold. Final pic is after smoking and cooling, letting them air dry. This is only about 1/3-1/2 of the final amount. There will be no shortage of snack sticks for the foreseeable future.

Good lord that looks delicious, and like a ton of work.

Did the cure and mix from Cabelas contain all the spice you used for the mix, or did you add anything to it?

I've been thinking about a grinder but haven't taken the plunge. Which model LEM do you have? Would you get the same one again?
JocoPack
I've got the 28" model and honestly wish I had the 4 burner one like my dad has. Even for two people when you go to spreading rice and/or vegetables out on there it doesn't leave a ton of room left for anything else. It hasn't stopped me from using it pretty often but I just wish it were the larger model.
packgrad
Civilized said:

packgrad said:

Good lord that looks delicious, and like a ton of work.

Did the cure and mix from Cabelas contain all the spice you used for the mix, or did you add anything to it?

I've been thinking about a grinder but haven't taken the plunge. Which model LEM do you have? Would you get the same one again?

It was a lot of work, but getting a recipe for 25#s of meat was all me in the brilliance department. Wish I could blame my wife for that but I bought it knowing what it said, but somehow not grasping how much meat that was.

The package from Cabelas had everything. Cure, mix, and casings. I didn't add anything this time as it was my first time. Wanted to get a baseline on the store bought stuff. Will definitely find a recipe next time, although I have liked what I've had of this so far.

I have the Big Bite #12. I'm very happy with it in regards to grinding. Stuffing sausages it does not do well, but that isn't why you buy a grinder. I bought it mostly for venison. I hunt, and my processor is very reasonable in price, but I enjoy doing stuff like this so I thought a grinder would be a good investment for me. Bought it around November last year. No issues grinding since then.

Making these snack sticks really has me intrigued so I definitely see more sausage making in my future. Definitely want to make some chicken sausage and try a few varieties of Italian sausage
ncsupack1
Your guy's pizzas look great. Been out of town all week and not sure what's for dinner tonight. Might fry some pork chops....not grilling related.
Steve Videtich
Just threw this brisket on the smoker this morning... stay tuned!
Steve Videtich
Here it goes! A little homemade creamed corn and fried Brussel sprouts! Have a great day!

FlossyDFlynt
Welp, discovered something pretty unfortunate last night. Wasn't getting up to the temp I was expecting and discovered this ginormous cracj that expanded after it heated up. Now I have to get this heavy thing back to Costco i guess
Bell Tower Grey
Dang, Flossy. Hate that happened. On the bright side, maybe they will have a red one you can exchange your broken one for.
Bell Tower Grey

Didn't grill, but did fry wings last night. Honey bourbon, texas toast and salad. PBR kicker.
ncsupack1
FlossyDFlynt said:

Welp, discovered something pretty unfortunate last night. Wasn't getting up to the temp I was expecting and discovered this ginormous cracj that expanded after it heated up. Now I have to get this heavy thing back to Costco i guess

That sucks. I smoke with a Weber smoker, question....is that common with those type of smokers?
packgrad
ncsupack1 said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

That sucks. I smoke with a Weber smoker, question....is that common with those type of smokers?

It's not common, but unfortunately our fellow poster was one of the unlucky few.

I smoked for years, and won many neighborhood bbq competitions, with a WSM. They're great. I have a Kamado Joe Big Joe now. I'm not as dialed in yet on that as I was the WSM, but the trying to be is the fun part.
FlossyDFlynt
ncsupack1 said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

Ive heard some internet stories around, but none of my friends that have them have ever had it happen. I cover it when its not in use, generally clean it after every bag, have zero idea what caused it. I actually noticed it last week, but temp was where I was expecting and based on a visual inspection, I thought it was the finish only. However, did a hot cook last night and couldnt really get it above 400, I had a suspicion. Took out the fire box this morning while cleaning and the inside is 100% cracked as well, which is why I couldnt get it up to temp.

Thankfully, because of Costco's ridiculous return policy, Ill take it back and get another one. Just means Ill be without a grill for a week or so until I can get a buddy to help me get it there.
Civilized
FlossyDFlynt said:

ncsupack1 said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

Ive heard some internet stories around, but none of my friends that have them have ever had it happen. I cover it when its not in use, generally clean it after every bag, have zero idea what caused it. I actually noticed it last week, but temp was where I was expecting and based on a visual inspection, I thought it was the finish only. However, did a hot cook last night and couldnt really get it above 400, I had a suspicion. Took out the fire box this morning while cleaning and the inside is 100% cracked as well, which is why I couldnt get it up to temp.

Thankfully, because of Costco's ridiculous return policy, Ill take it back and get another one. Just means Ill be without a grill for a week or so until I can get a buddy to help me get it there.

Get you a $300 enameled steel Chargriller Akorn like me and you wouldn't be worried about cracks.

Although in fairness, you would be worried about it turning into a rusty bucket of bolts in ~10 years. Just trading out one worry for another.
Cthepack
Need to replace the gasket on my BGE (Large) anyone have any suggestions on where to get the gasket material?
FlossyDFlynt
Civilized said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

ncsupack1 said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

Get you a $300 enameled steel Chargriller Akorn like me and you wouldn't be worried about cracks.

Although in fairness, you would be worried about it turning into a rusty bucket of bolts in ~10 years. Just trading out one worry for another.
Actually what I had before this one. Great grill for what it is.
Civilized
Yup. It was my first kamado and I figured I'd use it till it needed serious maintenance and if I liked a kamado like I thought I would, I'd upgrade at that time.

That was 7 years ago, I've loved it. Great value.
packgrad
Civilized said:

Yup. It was my first kamado and I figured I'd use it till it needed serious maintenance and if I liked a kamado like I thought I would, I'd upgrade at that time.

My BIL had one for years and loved. Did exactly like you're doing and rode it until the bottom rusted out and it fell apart.
Civilized
packgrad said:

Civilized said:

My BIL had one for years and loved. Did exactly like you're doing and rode it until the bottom rusted out and it fell apart.

Yup. I'm getting there...surface rust on the bottom exterior where the paint flaked during one of my early grease fire/drip pan debacles.

I've gotten a ton of use out of it though.

One upgrade I'm contemplating sooner rather than later is a temp controller. As my seals age, it's become a little less set-it-and-forget-it on low and slow smokes than it used to be. I could swap out all the seals and try to ride it for several more years or just get a temp controller that I can use even after I upgrade.
Bell Tower Grey
Cthepack said:

Need to replace the gasket on my BGE (Large) anyone have any suggestions on where to get the gasket material?
Call Grillbillies in Wendell. 877 - 227 - 3939. They may not have what you need, but possibly could point you in the right direction.
Pacfanweb
https://biggreenegg.com/product-category/eggcessories/nests-tables-covers/components/

https://www.amazon.com/green-egg-parts/s?k=green+egg+parts

JocoPack
A few wings from earlier tonight smoked over some "locally sourced" fig wood.
ncsupack1
Going to hit my butcher up today to see what he's got. Gonna grill today just not sure what.
ncsupack1
FlossyDFlynt said:

ncsupack1 said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

Best of luck. I've looked at those smokers but not yet set on pulling the trigger just yet. I've got two grills and a smoker, wife would kill me if I bought another grill/smoker....lol.
FlossyDFlynt
ncsupack1 said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

ncsupack1 said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

Best of luck. I've looked at those smokers but not yet set on pulling the trigger just yet. I've got two grills and a smoker, wife would kill me if I bought another grill/smoker....lol.
So, small update. I went to Costco and talked to the customer service desk about a return/exchange. They would gladly take a return, but only exchange it if they had it in stock, which they did not. They were able to print out a copy of the sales transaction with date/time information on it. I called the company, and they said as long as I have proof of purchase, I dont need a product number to make a warranty claim. Ive filed a warranty claim with pictures and the proof of purchase, and I am waiting to hear back.

If the claim fails, Ill take it back to Costco for a refund or exchange. I would prefer an exchange, but Ill have to wait to see when they restock.
Civilized
FlossyDFlynt said:

So, small update. I went to Costco and talked to the customer service desk about a return/exchange. They would gladly take a return, but only exchange it if they had it in stock, which they did not. They were able to print out a copy of the sales transaction with date/time information on it. I called the company, and they said as long as I have proof of purchase, I dont need a product number to make a warranty claim. Ive filed a warranty claim with pictures and the proof of purchase, and I am waiting to hear back.

If the claim fails, Ill take it back to Costco for a refund or exchange. I would prefer an exchange, but Ill have to wait to see when they restock.

Was wondering how this saga was developing...thanks for the update.

Whether by Costco or the mfr. I'm sure it will be resolved satisfactorily, the only question is timing. Hope you've got a spare grill in the meantime. We're approaching prime grilling season!
FlossyDFlynt
Civilized said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

Whether by Costco or the mfr. I'm sure it will be resolved satisfactorily, the only question is timing. Hope you've got a spare grill in the meantime. We're approaching prime grilling season!
I dont, but Ive had my eye on a Sportsman for a while.

I have a friend that has an egg, but uses it when doing something smaller (burgers, fajitas, etc). Debating on pulling the trigger still, but waiting to figure out what the timeline looks like first
Civilized
FlossyDFlynt said:

Civilized said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

I dont, but Ive had my eye on a Sportsman for a while.

I have a friend that has an egg, but uses it when doing something smaller (burgers, fajitas, etc). Debating on pulling the trigger still, but waiting to figure out what the timeline looks like first

Whoa! Didn't even know these existed, and I cook on or in cast iron skillets and dutch ovens and braising pans 98% of the time.

Look forward to window shopping these this weekend, thanks!
Bell Tower Grey

Game day brisket was put on the smoker earlier....good eating about 6 pm or so.
Steve Videtich
Bell Tower Grey said:

Game day brisket was put on the smoker earlier....good eating about 6 pm or so.

Happy smoking! Let's hope it's a truly great day all around!
Mormad
Brisket going in fridge overnight
Bell Tower Grey
Mormad said:

Brisket going in fridge overnight

Do you serve your brisket with any side sauce for folks to have it they want it?
Mormad
Hate to admit it, it's my first brisket. Using the better than sex recipe. I mean, that's gotta be outstanding i would assume.
Bell Tower Grey
Final product

Sauce side is a mix of Mild Bone Suckin Sauce, A-1, a little brown sugar and some melted butter.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.