Grilling Thread

140,552 Views | 1158 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Seawolf2010
Bell Tower Grey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Civilized, that sounds like something most all of us could use right now. Glad you had a great family trip.
Tootie4Pack
Grilled some nice, thick, bone in pork chops from Acre Station in Pinetown , along with a small pork tenderloin. Delicious !

Used a new seasoning blend on the chops from Vivian Howard and some Rufus Teague seasoning on the tenderloin. First time with both mixes. Very good. I usually like to marinade the tenderloin in Stubbs Pork Marinade, but could not find any at a few stores.

Fresh field peas , fresh butter beans and corn , new potatoes, and my wife, who is a pescatarian, cooked a tomato pie recipe from Vivian. Smacking good food tonight.
wilmwolf
Did some burgers yesterday. Bought this "Kobe" ground beef from Sam's club, pretty good, I'm guessing super high fat content. Seasoned with bourbon barrel salt and black pepper. Cooked up some bacon, melted cheddar, toasted brioche bun. Damn good burgers. I agree with above, it is almost too hot to grill, I had to change my shirt by the time I was finished.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Bell Tower Grey
wilm, I've seen several stores that are now posting signage indicating where their meat was originated. Have seen quite a bit from Mexico. I don't have a Sam's membership, so, do they label the point of origin on their meat products?

Out of curiosity, I recently bought 2 ribeyes - one from Mexico and the other from the USA. Trying to do a fair comparison between the two, I only seasoned them salt and pepper, and grilled them over lump charcoal. I found the Mexican beef to have a little more "gamey" taste, and was somewhat tougher than the US meat. The price for the Mexican beef was $7.99 / lb. vs. $17.99 lb. on the US piece. The cheaper price, imho, was a direct reflection of the lesser quality of the imported beef.

I understand some international beef is exceptionally good, but that from our closest neighbor wasn't up to par.
wilmwolf
Honestly, I'm not sure about the meat, will have to look next time. I typically buy my meat at Teeter, but the ground beef was an impulse buy at Sam's just to see what it was like. Teeter has a similar product that is labeled American wagyu, and I wanted to see if the Sam's product was similar. I'll look at the steaks and stuff next time I'm in there.
Bell Tower Grey
wilmwolf80 said:

Honestly, I'm not sure about the meat, will have to look next time. I typically buy my meat at Teeter, but the ground beef was an impulse buy at Sam's just to see what it was like. Teeter has a similar product that is labeled American wagyu, and I wanted to see if the Sam's product was similar. I'll look at the steaks and stuff next time I'm in there.
OK. Thanks.

I'm heading over to HT, probably on Wednesday. Have been tempted to try their American wagyu, but have not yet. Do you like that, if you've tried it? How does it compare to other HT beef products?
wilmwolf
I've made burgers with the prepackaged ground wagyu many times. It has a good flavor. Definitely very high fat content, but makes for delicious burgers. The size of the package works well for my needs, gives me three good sized patties, which typically cooking for one is great. I think calling it wagyu is a little hokey, and I'm not sure it's better than any other high grade ground beef, but I like it. I also like the HT pre made prime rib burger patties, have used those for tailgating several times and they are good.
packgrad
HT's ground beef with Vidalia onions and cheese is fantastic. Also liked the one with jalapeos. They had one other, with bacon I think, I didn't like as much.
JocoPack
Glad to hear you liked the Kobe burgers. My usual 80/20 6lb packs were out of stock at my local Sam's so I bought some of the Kobe.

My wife talked me into going to the Lidl's in Wilson today and I picked up some St. Louis ribs I'm going to smoke tonight. Their meat selection wasn't terrible but I think I'm going to continue to buy from the local grocer. Their produce was pretty impressive however and priced well.
Bell Tower Grey
Glad to know he could use a grill, but this is the grilling discussion. Even though many political rallies involve some type of food, politics in general should be left in other topic threads.
Wolfer79
Bell Tower Grey said:

Glad to know he could use a grill, but this is the grilling discussion. Even though many political rallies involve some type of food, politics in general should be left in other topic threads.

I accept that education and will delete my posts and all posts that reference it
Civilized
Wolfer79 said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

I accept that education and will delete my posts and all posts that reference it

BellTower moderating the moderator.

I admire that man's gumption.
JocoPack
Going to try these this weekend at some point

Steve Videtich
JocoPack said:

The size of the cook in these videos is always a good indicator of quality!
JocoPack
I say the same thing every time Steve! "Never trust a skinny cook" haha

Bell Tower Grey
Wolfer79 said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

Wolfer, my post was intended for the OP, not you. However, thanks for taking it out.
Bell Tower Grey
JocoPack said:

You KNOW we need the pics. Who is the best " build the food for the photo shoot " person in your house?
Without a doubt, here is is Mrs. BTG.
JocoPack
Definitely my wife. I can cook it but she always has to straighten it up for pictures
Bell Tower Grey
I was in the Teeter today across from Percy Flowers' store (and yes, I did stop in there and grab 4 with mustard and chili - good, too).... Picked up 2 nice fillets and 2 Charleston style house made crab cakes. I don't care how hot it is tomorrow, unless I'm called away for family business, my dog and I will getting real comfortable with that food, a lot of beer and my grill. My last several weeks have been ball busters and it's time for, hopefully, a few days of decompression.

Tonight will be alka seltzer and gin and tonic.
Steve Videtich
Bell Tower Grey said:

I was in the Teeter today across from Percy Flowers' store (and yes, I did stop in there and grab 4 with mustard and chili - good, too).... Picked up 2 nice fillets and 2 Charleston style house made crab cakes. I don't care how hot it is tomorrow, unless I'm called away for family business, my dog and I will getting real comfortable with that food, a lot of beer and my grill. My last several weeks have been ball busters and it's time for, hopefully, a few days of decompression.

Enjoy that!
Bell Tower Grey
Steve Videtich said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

Enjoy that!
Thanks, Steve. Whachu got on tap for the weekend?
Steve Videtich
Bell Tower Grey said:

Steve Videtich said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

Enjoy that!
Thanks, Steve. Whachu got on tap for the weekend?

As stated earlier, my wife is Italian. She made a Penne Rosa pasta from her homemade marinara sauce. Added some breaded chicken breasts. Oh man, it was good! I couldn't overstuff myself because now we're headed to our favorite ice cream place. It was a good day!
JocoPack
Well sir I was in that same HT today and got a dog from the store as well.

I'm about to finish up the pork chop sandwiches. Will post pics when available.
Steve Videtich
JocoPack said:

Well sir I was in that same HT today and got a dog from the store as well.

I'm about to finish up the pork chop sandwiches. Will post pics when available.

I think I might try those tomorrow.
JocoPack
Kind of sloppy but dang they were good!
Steve Videtich
JocoPack said:

Nice!
Bell Tower Grey
JocoPack said:

Sloppy makes it even better. Looks great!
JocoPack
Thanks fellas. The kids and mama Joco loved them too. The tenderloins they had at the Teeter were not as big as the ones Malcom had in the video so I think next time I'm just going to buy a pack of boneless chops already cut and pound them out. His sauce is very good though.

BTG I can't remember if I've asked you if you have been to Grillbillies before or not? It's another ~15min up the road from Flowers. I went there today and stocked up on some more rubs and whatnot. If I won the lottery that place would be one of the first stops I made, they have some awesome smokers/grills in there.
Bell Tower Grey
JocoPack said:

Thanks fellas. The kids and mama Joco loved them too. The tenderloins they had at the Teeter were not as big as the ones Malcom had in the video so I think next time I'm just going to buy a pack of boneless chops already cut and pound them out. His sauce is very good though.

BTG I can't remember if I've asked you if you have been to Grillbillies before or not? It's another ~15min up the road from Flowers. I went there today and stocked up on some more rubs and whatnot. If I won the lottery that place would be one of the first stops I made, they have some awesome smokers/grills in there.
I have been there. Absolutely love that place. Told Mrs. BTG that if they'd let me put a cot in there I may stay for a few days. I'm due to go back because I'm running low on a few things. Mat, the guy that parks his big Southern Q cooking rig out there, is a friend of mine. Great guy that hit it right with Grillbillies and Mixon.
JocoPack
I've met Mr. Griner a few times myself. Good dude.

I've had my eye on one of those vertical Meadow Creek smokers for a while. I can not justify one of the bigger ones but they had a small one in there today that I would love to have, but even the price tag on that one made me shiver a bit.
Bell Tower Grey
JocoPack said:

I've met Mr. Griner a few times myself. Good dude.

I've had my eye on one of those vertical Meadow Creek smokers for a while. I can not justify one of the bigger ones but they had a small one in there today that I would love to have, but even the price tag on that one made me shiver a bit.
There are some things in there that they are quite proud of, no doubt. While I subscribe to the simpler is better premise as I have gotten older, cooking out is good therapy for me. No doubt that the newer products would make things easier in some aspects, but I feel they may take some of the pleasure out of it for me. I'll keep what I have for now. Who knows, maybe in a few more years I'll re-visit that and get some newer products.
Tootie4Pack
Bell Tower Grey said:

Tootie4Pack said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

Steve Videtich said:

We need more pics on this thread of everything these good folks are cooking!
This is the steak and shrimp from Saturday dinner that I posted about.

Bell TG, can you tell me how you grill your shrimp? In a tray, on a shish kabob stick, another way? Any special coating....olive oil , another marinade. Just curious. I grilled shrimp last Sunday for the first time in a long time. Just trying to learn how others do it. I used a tray on our Holland Grill. Thanks.
Be happy to! I always grill over lump hardwood charcoal. When grilling shrimp, I'm old school, using wood skewers that I soak in water for a couple of hours before putting the shrimp on them and grilling.

I leave the tails on the shrimp. I brush them with melted bacon grease, then I use a mix of Old Bay, fine ground black pepper and kosher salt that I lightly sprinkle over both sides of the shrimp about 30 minutes before cooking. None of us here want the shrimp "well done", so I turn them every minute or so for about 5 - 7 minutes, depending on the size of the shrimp. I have used a little brown sugar in that mix when I want them to get a little char without getting too done. Like cooking other proteins, I take them off the heat a little early because I know they'll continue to cook some while they rest.
BTG, I want to thank you for sharing how you grill shrimp. I have grilled them twice this way since your recommendation (including last night) and they are great ! I did have to make a modification to your recipe...my wife is a pescetariana and I had to substitute olive oil for the bacon grease. Delicious, and the simple addition of the kosher salt and pepper make it even better.

Cooked those grilled shrimp, ribeyes from Acre Station Meat Farm, and two tuna steaks for my wife and youngest daughter. Along with sweet potatoes, broccoli, beans and corn...some good eating for sure.
Bell Tower Grey
Tootie4Pack said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

Tootie4Pack said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

Steve Videtich said:

We need more pics on this thread of everything these good folks are cooking!
This is the steak and shrimp from Saturday dinner that I posted about.

Bell TG, can you tell me how you grill your shrimp? In a tray, on a shish kabob stick, another way? Any special coating....olive oil , another marinade. Just curious. I grilled shrimp last Sunday for the first time in a long time. Just trying to learn how others do it. I used a tray on our Holland Grill. Thanks.
Be happy to! I always grill over lump hardwood charcoal. When grilling shrimp, I'm old school, using wood skewers that I soak in water for a couple of hours before putting the shrimp on them and grilling.

I leave the tails on the shrimp. I brush them with melted bacon grease, then I use a mix of Old Bay, fine ground black pepper and kosher salt that I lightly sprinkle over both sides of the shrimp about 30 minutes before cooking. None of us here want the shrimp "well done", so I turn them every minute or so for about 5 - 7 minutes, depending on the size of the shrimp. I have used a little brown sugar in that mix when I want them to get a little char without getting too done. Like cooking other proteins, I take them off the heat a little early because I know they'll continue to cook some while they rest.
BTG, I want to thank you for sharing how you grill shrimp. I have grilled them twice this way since your recommendation (including last night) and they are great ! I did have to make a modification to your recipe...my wife is a pescetariana and I had to substitute olive oil for the bacon grease. Delicious, and the simple addition of the kosher salt and pepper make it even better.

Cooked those grilled shrimp, ribeyes from Acre Station Meat Farm, and two tuna steaks for my wife and youngest daughter. Along with sweet potatoes, broccoli, beans and corn...some good eating for sure.

Tootie, you're welcome. Glad to hear y'all like them. My crowd enjoys them.

I have decided to grill the crab cakes this afternoon. Using a different technique than a cast iron pan over the charcoal though - going to use a pizza pan (the old oven style with "buckshot type" holes all in the bottom. Butter it up first, let it get hot then add the cakes. Plan to turn them once. We'll see how it goes. What's the worst that can happen, it's crab meat.
Bell Tower Grey
Tootie, I've seen you mention Acre Station Meat Farm in the past, and just now took time to look it up. Thanks for posting about it because now I feel a road trip coming up before too long.

Noticed that they also have a grill. One imagines they use their own proteins when cooking. How's their grub? I'm a sucker for a great burger.
Bell Tower Grey

The side salad and bread were collateral damage. Both the crab cake and steak turned out good.

The cake was called "Charleston Style" from Harris-Teeter. Had a little more breading than I expected. The other choices were 'Maryland" or HT House Special (which looked to be loaded with lots of meat). Next time, I'll try that one.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.