Grilling Thread

140,927 Views | 1158 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Seawolf2010
Steve Videtich
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hard to beat a good steak!
Steve Videtich
Here's my shot at the chagrined pork sandwiches with a side of homemade ranch style beans.
Bell Tower Grey
Steve Videtich said:

Here's my shot at the chagrined pork sandwiches with a side of homemade ranch style beans.

Looks like you did a great job! Beans are a nice added touch.
Steve Videtich
Thanks! It is really a very good recipe! I recommend all give it a try. Very tender and tasty sandwich. Not too difficult.
JocoPack
Steve Videtich said:

Very nice Steve! I think that recipe may be in the rotation for a while.
Tootie4Pack
Bell Tower Grey said:

Tootie, I've seen you mention Acre Station Meat Farm in the past, and just now took time to look it up. Thanks for posting about it because now I feel a road trip coming up before too long.

Noticed that they also have a grill. One imagines they use their own proteins when cooking. How's their grub? I'm a sucker for a great burger.
BTG...their grill cooks some really delicious food. Their cheese biscuits are those Cat-Head biscuits and they are outstanding! All of their meats are delicious to me. The varieties of sausage are numerous...pattie pork sausage, link pork, pattie chicken sausage, link chicken, link smoked sausages, the red hot sausage links, the air dried sausage, too. They raise their own hogs right down the road, they process down the road and also at the Meat Farm store/grill. IMO, their link sausage is as good as you will ever eat, and this comes from someone whose Grandfather used to raise his own hogs and make his own sausage and that was delicious. (And our family farm is just about 12-14 minutes from Acre Station, in the Slatestone community of Beaufort County).

They also make and sell turkey link sausage ( though I prefer the chicken sausage, which is lean and delicious), sausage with peppers in it, apple wood flavored sausage, etc. And like any good butcher shop, they will cut to order. You can get everything on the hog from the tail to the squeal. They also have corned hog heads, snouts, ears, etc. They even sell freshly prepared rabbit meat.

Their beef is from Gates County and also delicious. The burgers and any other meats at their grill are delicious. They also make home made chicken salad, slaw, potato salad, and their own BBQ. Is a family owned and run store and butcher shop. The Huettmann Brothers are super nice folks. I recommend you give it a try if you are ever down that way.
FlossyDFlynt
Made Greek Chicken last night. Done it a few times, always tasty
Pacfanweb
Got some chicken breasts that have been soaking in italian dressing for a couple days. Will probably grill them this evening.
Love to cook up a bunch and then use them for salads during the week.
Civilized
Steve Videtich said:

Steve Videtich
Civilized said:

Steve Videtich said:

Is that a positive or a negative, lol!
wilmwolf
Been smoking a rib end pork roast since about 11 today using Blanton's barrel wood chips. I don't have a smoker, just a box for the grill, but it gets the job done the rare times I decide to smoke something. I don't know if the wood chips are actually from a Blanton's barrel, which they say they are, or just some other random bourbon barrel, but they definitely have a good bourbon flavor.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Civilized
Steve Videtich said:

Civilized said:

Steve Videtich said:

Is that a positive or a negative, lol!

LOLOL! Positive for sure, that looks damn delicious!

Taste as good as it looked?
Steve Videtich
It was really good! Like JoCo said, it's going in the rotation for sure. It was pretty easy to cook as well, 8-10 minutes total cook time. You could definitely do this for a group with what you get out of a nice pork loin.
Bell Tower Grey
wilmwolf80 said:

Been smoking a rib end pork roast since about 11 today using Blanton's barrel wood chips. I don't have a smoker, just a box for the grill, but it gets the job done the rare times I decide to smoke something. I don't know if the wood chips are actually from a Blanton's barrel, which they say they are, or just some other random bourbon barrel, but they definitely have a good bourbon flavor.
My first smoker was also a grill smoke box. Still have it somewhere in the garage. My next smoker purchase was the best $20 I may have ever spent, especially for someone like me (and possibly you) that has become more interested in smoking. I bought this smoker tube that uses pellets a couple of years ago at Grillbillies, and highly recommend it.

https://amazenproducts.com/
wilmwolf
Very interesting, thank you. I like smoked things, I just typically don't have the time. Today was the first day of my "vacation", or as much of one as I can take being self employed, so I figured I may as well.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
packgrad
Bell Tower Grey said:

wilmwolf80 said:

My first smoker was also a grill smoke box. Still have it somewhere in the garage. My next smoker purchase was the best $20 I may have ever spent, especially for someone like me (and possibly you) that has become more interested in smoking. I bought this smoker tube that uses pellets a couple of years ago at Grillbillies, and highly recommend it.

https://amazenproducts.com/

I have a couple of smokers but I have one of those I use for smoked cheese. Good stuff.
packgrad
JocoPack said:

Going to try these this weekend at some point

Just bought some of his rub and sauce at Grillbillies. I've typically made my own rubs over the years but if ever there was a time to start trying new things....
JocoPack
I bought his rubs/sauce there last weekend and it's very good stuff. If you're interested in buying some rubs/sauces that, at least to me, stand out from some of the rest, check out Caribeque. He has an "Island Thyme" rub as well as some others that add some different flavors than your off the shelf AP rubs. His smack sauce is great on everything from burgers to tacos.
Steve Videtich
packgrad said:

JocoPack said:

Just bought some of his rub and sauce at Grillbillies. I've typically made my own rubs over the years but if ever there was a time to start trying new things....

Made these again last night, as I found some good pork loins at Costco. A double thumbs up from my neighbor who got to try them as well!
packgrad
Steve Videtich said:

packgrad said:

JocoPack said:

Made these again last night, as I found some good pork loins at Costco. A double thumbs up from my neighbor who got to try them as well!

I'm thinking about giving them a run tomorrow night. Have family in town and looks like a good, tasty, easy meal.
Bell Tower Grey
Mrs. is fixing country style steak with onion & mushroom gravy,mashed potatoes, limas and squash tonight.

I am grilling chickens tomorrow, but first am going hunting for a nice piece of slab bacon to turn into burnt ends on Sunday. Hopefully, I'll find a piece I want to use.
Steve Videtich
Bell Tower Grey said:

Mrs. is fixing country style steak with onion & mushroom gravy,mashed potatoes, limas and squash tonight.

I am grilling chickens tomorrow, but first am going hunting for a nice piece of slab bacon to turn into burnt ends on Sunday. Hopefully, I'll find a piece I want to use.

I have never tried burnt ends. I need to figure that one out.
Bell Tower Grey
Steve Videtich said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

Burnt ends can be food for the gods when cooked properly. I've had them a couple of times and they were barely edible.

Oftentimes,when bbq joints fix them they are brisket pieces. Most of the times I've cooked them they have turned out good to very good, but one time, brother, it was ugly.

I've never tried to smoke a slab bacon for burnt ends, so I'm looking forward to it.

The next time you're back in Raleigh, go over to Big Mike's Brew & Que in Apex. They have them on Wednesday and Saturday. Good stuff. Their dry rubbed smoked wings are worth a visit alone.

2045 Creekside Landing Dr. Apex NC
open SUN-THU at 11:00am to 9:00pm
FRI & SAT at 11:00am to 10:00pm
(919) 338-2591
Steve Videtich
Bell Tower Grey said:

Steve Videtich said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

Burnt ends can be food for the gods when cooked properly. I've had them a couple of times and they were barely edible.

Oftentimes,when bbq joints fix them they are brisket pieces. Most of the times I've cooked them they have turned out good to very good, but one time, brother, it was ugly.

I've never tried to smoke a slab bacon for burnt ends, so I'm looking forward to it.

The next time you're back in Raleigh, go over to Big Mike's Brew & Que in Apex. They have them on Wednesday and Saturday. Good stuff. Their dry rubbed smoked wings are worth a visit alone.

(919) 338-2591

Sounds like a plan! I've been looking to give the burnt ends a try, just haven't found a good source of info to do it.
Bell Tower Grey
Steve Videtich said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

Steve Videtich said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

(919) 338-2591

Sounds like a plan! I've been looking to give the burnt ends a try, just haven't found a good source of info to do it.
This is a pretty good site to look over when you have a little time:
https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/smoked-brisket-texas-style

Also, look on youtube for videos on how to cook brisket. Hopefully, you find something worth trying.
Steve Videtich
Bell Tower Grey said:

Steve Videtich said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

Steve Videtich said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

(919) 338-2591

This is a pretty good site to look over when you have a little time:
https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/smoked-brisket-texas-style

Also, look on youtube for videos on how to cook brisket. Hopefully, you find something worth trying.

Thanks! I'll check it out later for sure. I think I've got brisket down pretty well, just have never tackled the burnt ends. Thanks again for the link!
kbdavis33
I haven't done it yet but I'm going to try to sous vide a boneless ribeye with some good seasoning then back to the pan and see how it goes. Have heard good things that way.
packgrad
Steve Videtich said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

There is nothing better in this world than smoked burnt ends. I make my entire point of a brisket into burnt ends.
packgrad
Steve Videtich said:

packgrad said:

JocoPack said:

Made them tonight for the fam. Rave reviews. I used his rub and sauce. Liked both a lot. I thought it was great, but in my OCD opinion, something was a smidge off. Could have been the kosher dill pickle chips or the potato rolls we used. Still was very good. The good part is starting out at great means for some good meals while searching for that little bump of improvement.
Steve Videtich
packgrad said:

Steve Videtich said:

packgrad said:

JocoPack said:

Made them tonight for the fam. Rave reviews. I used his rub and sauce. Liked both a lot. I thought it was great, but in my OCD opinion, something was a smidge off. Could have been the kosher dill pickle chips or the potato rolls we used. Still was very good. The good part is starting out at great means for some good meals while searching for that little bump of improvement.

It's pretty good and pretty easy to make! We used brioche buns if that makes a difference. Definitely will keep it in the grilling rotation.
Pacfanweb
packgrad said:

Steve Videtich said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

There is nothing better in this world than smoked burnt ends. I make my entire point of a brisket into burnt ends.
The idea sounds awesome.

I've made them a couple of times, and was unimpressed. Maybe I need to try some at a smokehouse and see if it's just me.

Honestly, I'm not in the camp of thinking brisket in general is this great delicacy like some thing, but that's a personal preference. It's good. I like it. But not worth the effort and cost IMO.
packgrad
Pacfanweb said:

packgrad said:

Steve Videtich said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

The idea sounds awesome.

I've made them a couple of times, and was unimpressed. Maybe I need to try some at a smokehouse and see if it's just me.

Honestly, I'm not in the camp of thinking brisket in general is this great delicacy like some thing, but that's a personal preference. It's good. I like it. But not worth the effort and cost IMO.

It's my favorite. I smoke brisket more than butt and ribs.
Bell Tower Grey
This is the chicken (2 whole, split) right before I took it off the charcoal. Was cooked in the Weber with the vortex inverted; temp held at a steady 265. Was brined for about 3 hours. Put on coals at 5 pm, took them off about 7:45. Sauced every 10 min for last 30 or so.

I've been cooking chicken for about 46 years and thought I cooked good bird.....however, I picked up a cooking tip last week from a great friend that's cooked chicken for as long as I have been. My game just got upped. First time I've eaten an entire half chicken since I was at Keaton's last - which was at least 2 years ago.

Was paired with baked sweet potatoes, sliced cukes in vinegar, salt & pepper, and texas toast.

Bell Tower Grey
And fortunately, I did find a nice 2.5 lb piece of slab bacon today. Looks like smoked bacon burnt ends will be attempted on Sunday.
Steve Videtich
Bell Tower Grey said:

This is the chicken (2 whole, split) right before I took it off the charcoal. Was cooked in the Weber with the vortex inverted; temp held at a steady 265. Was brined for about 3 hours. Put on coals at 5 pm, took them off about 7:45. Sauced every 10 min for last 30 or so.

I've been cooking chicken for about 46 years and thought I cooked good bird.....however, I picked up a cooking tip last week from a great friend that's cooked chicken for as long as I have been. My game just got upped. First time I've eaten an entire half chicken since I was at Keaton's last - which was at least 2 years ago.

Was paired with baked sweet potatoes, sliced cukes in vinegar, salt & pepper, and texas toast.

Beautiful looking birds! Been a minute since I did whole chickens. Need to get back on that!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.