Grilling Thread

141,067 Views | 1158 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Seawolf2010
ncsupack1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We are in the process…if you have tips…I'm all ears.
Bell Tower Grey
ncsupack1 said:

I need to quickly research it because I've never heard of pizza dip before.
Bell Tower Grey
Bell Tower Grey said:

ncsupack1 said:

I need to quickly research it because I've never heard of pizza dip before.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/16868/pizza-dip/?printview#:~:text=Allrecipes-,Pizza%20Dip,Printed%20from%20https%3A//www.allrecipes.com%2009/25/2022,-This%20ad%20will
ncsupack1
Got ya
Bell Tower Grey
Sorry it posted in link form. Hope it's good, ever how you fix it.
ncsupack1
Bell Tower Grey said:

Sorry it posted in link form. Hope it's good, ever how you fix it.

I'll hon it in, but was basically cook on the Weber.
ncsupack1
Got some Smithfield ribs on the Weber smoking. Sides are boiled potatoes and green beans. Jack is flowing while race is on.
Skylitdrive
Bell Tower Grey said:

I've become a fan of Meat Church products. Holy Cow is their primary beef rub and is great on steaks. Honey Hog is good on both pork and chicken. Holy Gospel is an all purpose rub that I use when layering rubs on things like ribs and chicken.

I also like Heath Riles Cajun Creole Garlic Butter rub - especially on wings.

Just found this thread. Where have I been all my life. Meat Church and Heath Riles are my two favorite brands. Have all of their seasonings. Been loving using the Meat Church fajita seasoning for my pork butts and I've been doing a barbacoa style meat using a chuck roast. So freaking good.
Skylitdrive
Mormad said:

I love my BGE, but I've been wanting a pellet smoker for the set it and forget ease and maybe more consistent outcomes. Anybody have a pellet here? I've been looking at recteq and traeger timberline because of the stainless components.

I have 3 Recteq smokers and absolutely love them all. I have a 700 with the smoker box on the side and also a 1250. They are so consistent on temperatures and the bigger ones have built in WiFi. Temps never seem to vary more than 5-10 degrees.

I also have the bullseye which is fantastic for smaller cooks. Plus in riot mode it can get up to 749 degrees so it's great for steaks.

I did have the electronics go bad on the 700 but customer service with them is always top notch. They mailed me out a new cpu the same day and I had it in 2 days. Plus they have a 5 year warranty on whole grill so I think they are definitely worth it. Can't recommend them enough.
packgrad
I was looking a good bit at the Recteqs to compliment my Big Joe. Ended up just getting the Fireboard Drive and fan to hook up to my Big Joe instead. $300 vs $1500.
Skylitdrive
packgrad said:

I was looking a good bit at the Recteqs to compliment my Big Joe. Ended up just getting the Fireboard Drive and fan to hook up to my Big Joe instead. $300 vs $1500.

That's cool. I've never heard of that. Do you like the Fireboard? I've been thinking about the Meater thermometer kit but this looks like a great alternative to the Meater.
Mormad
Awesome! I ended up getting the 1250 and the 340. I've loved it so far. Great ribs! Did a brisket for the game yesterday. Fantastic grills.
Skylitdrive
Good deal. Glad you're enjoying them.
packgrad
Skylitdrive said:

packgrad said:

That's cool. I've never heard of that. Do you like the Fireboard? I've been thinking about the Meater thermometer kit but this looks like a great alternative to the Meater.

I haven't tried it yet. Literally just got it last week and haven't had time to play with it yet. My primary goal with it will be the low smoking for jerky initially. Then I'm sure I'll use it for coasting through long cooks of briskets or butts.

I'll post an update once I put it to use.
Wufpack17
I did away with the wood fired smoker. Just not enough time to babysit a smoker. I have a Traeger and it gets used nearly every weekend.
Sierrawolf
What is your favorite brand of pellets for the Traeger?
Bell Tower Grey
Sierrawolf said:

What is your favorite brand of pellets for the Traeger?
Sierra, are you asking "brand" for manufacturer, or for flavor profile?
Sierrawolf
Manufacturer, but any specific blend would be useful as well.
Bell Tower Grey
Personally, I've not been able to tell that much difference between manufacutrers and their particular product. I'm sure each company would prefer that you buy their products for their smokers, but imho, the end result is what matters most.

I've been using Cookinpellets for several years. I keep a bucket of their Hickory, Black Cherry, and Apple Mash all the time. I also have a small bucket of their Perfect Mix when I can't decide whch one note flavor I want.

There are a lot of choices available. Trial and error is the best way to figure out what you want. For the longest time, I was scared to use cherry, because I'm not a fan of cherry anything. However,I was pleasantly surprised at the flavor it gives to some proteins, especially chicken and pork. Also love hickory / oak and the apple, which is quite mellow. Not a fan whatsoever of pecan....I've found it gives meats a somewhat bitter taste. Others here may have different recommendations.

Good luck.
Bell Tower Grey
Just prepped a meaty rack of baby backs with some Heath Riles' Honey Chipotle, a light middle layer of Meat Church Holy Cow, and a heavy outer layer of Cimarron Docs Sweet Rib Rub. Wrapped them up in plastic wrap to marinate overnight. Also have two dozen wings that will be prepped tomorrow morning. Planning to smoke them over oak wood pellets and have them ready by game time.

Bell Tower Grey
Bell Tower Grey said:

Just prepped a meaty rack of baby backs with some Heath Riles' Honey Chipotle, a light middle layer of Meat Church Holy Cow, and a heavy outer layer of Cimarron Docs Sweet Rib Rub. Wrapped them up in plastic wrap to marinate overnight. Also have two dozen wings that will be prepped tomorrow morning. Planning to smoke them over oak wood pellets and have them ready by game time.

The heavy layer gave them a great bark. Turned out tender with great flavor.

CLA327
That is impressive, BTG! Hope it tastes as good as it looks......
ncsupack1
That looks great. Smoked some beef short ribs yesterday myself.
Bell Tower Grey
ncsupack1 said:

Short ribs is something I've never tried to cook myself. However, when they are cooked properly it's some of the best eating one could ask for.

A couple of weeks ago, some friends of ours from Lake Gaston invited us to have dinner with them at Blue Jay Bistro in downtown Littleton. Short rib was on the menu. It was smoked, then braised. Served with puereed white sweet potatoes, honey & chili roasted squash, pickled apples and a corn w/ lightly ground peanuts. The entire dish was outstanding.

Look up the restaurant. Had no idea a white table cloth, very high end restaurant was in Littleton, but I'm glad I do now because we definitely will go back.

The backstory of the place is fascinating. A Littleton native, and State grad, named Ed Fitts, has come back home and along with his wife, is pumping millions into the town to make it a regional destination spot in addition to what Lake Gaston brings. Look up Ed Fitts, too. Great read.
Skylitdrive
Bell Tower Grey said:

ncsupack1 said:

Short ribs is something I've never tried to cook myself. However, when they are cooked properly it's some of the best eating one could ask for.

A couple of weeks ago, some friends of ours from Lake Gaston invited us to have dinner with them at Blue Jay Bistro in downtown Littleton. Short rib was on the menu. It was smoked, then braised. Served with puereed white sweet potatoes, honey & chili roasted squash, pickled apples and a corn w/ lightly ground peanuts. The entire dish was outstanding.

Look up the restaurant. Had no idea a white table cloth, very high end restaurant was in Littleton, but I'm glad I do now because we definitely will go back.

The backstory of the place is fascinating. A Littleton native, and State grad, named Ed Fitts, has come back home and along with his wife, is pumping millions into the town to make it a regional destination spot in addition to what Lake Gaston brings. Look up Ed Fitts, too. Great read.

Crazy you mention that place. Our lake house is about 10 mins from the Bistro. I've always wanted to try it but usually just end up smoking food at the house all weekend. Definitely gonna have to check it out now.
ncsupack1
Got tired of beef/pork. Picked up some chicken breast and wings for later…haven't had bbq chicken in a while. Natty lights as well today….kinda over did it with the Makers last night.
Bell Tower Grey
Got a beautiful piece of deer tenderloin that was harvested this morning. Had it soaking to wash it out. Am going to fry it, using a bourbon buttermilk marinade (three hours) and seasoned flour.

Sides of cathead biscuits, gravy and grits.

Mrs. BTG has fixed a bourbon pecan pie for dessert.
packgrad
Bell Tower Grey said:

Got a beautiful piece of deer tenderloin that was harvested this morning. Had it soaking to wash it out. Am going to fry it, using a bourbon buttermilk marinade (three hours) and seasoned flour.

Very nice. I have a ton of deer meat. Would love to hear more about that bourbon buttermilk marinade. Have you done it before? I've done the buttermilk but never the bourbon too.
Bell Tower Grey
Found this recipe on Realtree Timber 2 Table wild game recipes. First time using it. I used Makers bourbon since it was what I already had.

Bourbon Buttermilk Fried Deer Tenderloin

2 to 3 pounds venison backstrap cut into 3/4-inch-thick medallions
Vegetable oil shortening or lard for frying
1 cup flour seasoned with a tablespoon each salt and pepper and a teaspoon each garlic powder and paprika
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup buttermilk

Marinade
1/3 cup Evan Williams bourbon
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon hot sauce
2 cloves garlic minced
1 small shallot finely diced

Cooking Instructions
Trim the backstrap and slice it into roughly 3/4-inch to 1-inch-thick steaks. The extra thickness helps prevent overcooking while the coating gets crisp.

Mix all the marinade ingredients.

Add the sliced backstrap to a 1-gallon zip-style storage bag and pour over the marinade. Refrigerate for 3 hours to overnight.

Heat 1/2 inch of your cooking oil of choice in a cast-iron skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Remove the meat from the marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Stir the cornstarch into the seasoned flour mixture. Pour the buttermilk into a shallow dish. Dip the backstrap, a piece at a time, first into the flour, then the buttermilk. Shake off excess and immediately dredge again in the flour mixture.

Carefully lower the breaded backstrap into the hot oil. Cook in batches, taking care not to overcrowd the skillet. Fry the backstrap for 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium-rare.

Move the finished backstrap to a paper-lined warm plate and tent with foil while you finish the remaining backstrap. Serve with your choice of sides. Makes an outstanding sandwich as well.

ncsupack1
Bell Tower Grey said:

Nice! Sounds good
Tootie4Pack
Bell Tower Grey said:

Cat head biscuits with gravy and also grits. Dad gum that sounds delicious ! And pecan pie too.
Bell Tower Grey
Tootie4Pack said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

Cat head biscuits with gravy and also grits. Dad gum that sounds delicious ! And pecan pie too.
Brother, I married up. And I know it.
ncsupack1
Tootie4Pack said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

Love cat heads.....going to smoke some beef back ribs today. I have never tried these today, but I found some and said why not.
ncsupack1
Ribs turned out great. Will have to do those again.
Skylitdrive
Mormad is gonna be disappointed he didn't wait for this one -

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.