Grilling Thread

140,582 Views | 1158 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Seawolf2010
Bell Tower Grey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone grilling or smoking something today and / or tomorrow?

I did get beef and pork ground, respectively, for burgers. Also bought the bone in ribeyes and chops. Biggest decision of the day will be which one is prepared today or tomorrow.
ncsupack1
Smoked ribs yesterday. Tomorrow is going to be burgers, dogs, and corn grilled.
packgrad
Going to smoke some ribs tomorrow. Throw on a couple venison meatloafs and maybe some chicken to fill up the grill.
ncsupack1
Sounds good. What type of ribs?
packgrad
ncsupack1 said:

Sounds good. What type of ribs?

Baby backs. I don't like the tendon in St Louis or spares for smoked ribs. I can tear them up from the Chinese restaurant, but smoked I just don't like them.

Also, fwiw, picked up a couple butts from HT tonight for $.97/#.
Bell Tower Grey
Very good price on those butts. Haven't seen them that low in a while. Might have to make a run later this morning, but will call first just to make sure the sale is still on and they have some in stock.

Y'all enjoy the day. Happy smoking and grilling.
ncsupack1
Hope everyone had a good 4th. Having a beer and thinking about what to grill/smoke this weekend.
Sierrawolf
This is an interesting question. What is your favorite rub/seasoning on the grill?

I'm a huge fan of the Dizzy Pig products:
Tsunami Spin & Wonderbird on Poultry
Raging River is awesome on Salmon

Camp Mix replaces salt and pepper on everything else I cook.

I bought some rub from Redneck BBQ lab and was underwhelmed. Not enough flavor for me. And I tried Plowboys yardbird after seeing it a lot online but it was super salty.
Bell Tower Grey
I've become a fan of Meat Church products. Holy Cow is their primary beef rub and is great on steaks. Honey Hog is good on both pork and chicken. Holy Gospel is an all purpose rub that I use when layering rubs on things like ribs and chicken.

I also like Heath Riles Cajun Creole Garlic Butter rub - especially on wings.
Mormad
Brisket today
ncsupack1
Looks good. Yesterday grilled some thick pork chops. Today for the race is beef ribs on the smoker. As for rubs I like Big Moe Cason Competition rub. Also like Holy Gospel BBQ rub. Both I can get at Academy sports.
Mormad
I love my BGE, but I've been wanting a pellet smoker for the set it and forget ease and maybe more consistent outcomes. Anybody have a pellet here? I've been looking at recteq and traeger timberline because of the stainless components.
ncsupack1
I've looked at them but for some reason I can't let my Weber Smokey go. I do know someone that has a pellet and loves it.
Bell Tower Grey
We've just gotten in from one of the best long weekends we've ever had. Our oldest son got married yesterday, and we could not be more happy! God has given us the best daughter-in-law a couple could ever wish for. Lovely woman, Iowa native that graduated from NC State, who comes from a wonderful family.

We all have been going hard at it since Wednesday and are now ready to relax for a few days. On the way home, I stopped and grabbed a bone in ribeye for myself and a bone in pork chop for the Mrs. Gonna put them on the coals in a little while. Got fresh salad from the garden and Mrs. is going to bake some sweet potatoes.

Poured a double Makers 46 with a splash of water and a cube for me, and poured a glass of 2015 King Estate North x Northwest Cab for Mrs. BTG.

I feel early bedtime coming on tonight. Cheers, and good grilling, y'all.
Bell Tower Grey
My brother bought a Traeger Ironwood 885 last year and he absolutely loves it. It can get up to 500 degrees, has the wifi temp control through his phone, and is an easy to use machine. I've cooked with him on it before when we've helped with chicken plate sales for the church, and a couple of other guys have bought the same unit since they've seen his in use. It produces great food with minimal work.

I'm still a traditionalist and like the more manual labor involved with my Weber kettle, but at this point in my life I am built more for ease and comfort, and am considering getting one. I have come "this close" a couple of times to buying a KJ, but my brother is pushing that Traeger hard. Having used it before and enjoyed the results of the cooks, I really have no reason not to get one.
ncsupack1
Sounds like a awesome evening, cheers.
ncsupack1
Headed back home from the beach today and thinking of something to grill. Hopefully find something on the way home. Nobody here been grilling/smoking?
Bell Tower Grey
This past week I've been more busy than I typically am. That, coupled with the heat, shut my grill down.

However, I did get some shrimp from our local guy who comes in from Wanchese every weekend, and I may grill them this evening. Might have to make a butcher run first to see if I can find a suitable piece of beef to go with it, for surf and turf.

Mrs. brought in some things from the garden early this morning, so I know salad is on the menu also.
ncsupack1
Bell Tower Grey said:

This past week I've been more busy than I typically am. That, coupled with the heat, shut my grill down.

However, I did get some shrimp from our local guy who comes in from Wanchese every weekend, and I may grill them this evening. Might have to make a butcher run first to see if I can find a suitable piece of beef to go with it, for surf and turf.

Mrs. brought in some things from the garden early this morning, so I know salad is on the menu also.
We've been busy as well. Going to grill some burgers and dogs tonight on the Weber. Wife is going to make some homemade fries. Plenty of beer going down as well. Was able to get off of work at a good time today.
ncsupack1
Ribeye, baked potato, and steamed broccoli later. Gonna fire up the Weber and get going.
Bell Tower Grey
Tonight, I grilled shrimp and scallops (from our Wanchese guy) as well as a ribeye and fresh corn on the cob. Mrs. BTG pan seared a couple of flounder filets in butter and old bay, and also fixed a loaf of we surrender bread, with garlic butter. I had a bottle of Dark Horse pinot grigio that needed my attention with this meal, so I opened that. Here's everything but the fish

And before anyone comments on the Parker's style plates, lol, when our kids were little (there were 6 of them) we went to United Restaurant Supply and bought divided plates and bowls from the same hard plastic surface material. They didn't want their food to "touch" each other....

We're still using them today, and our kids range in age from 37 - 24. The one that has blessed us with grandkids so far has done the same thing since his two kids got here. Made sense to me then, apparently it still does today, at least to my son and his wife.

Wish some of my investments had fared that well over that time span.
Tootie4Pack
BTG, your pics always look delicious.
Bell Tower Grey
Thank you, my friend. Maybe one day we will share a meal or two together.
Tootie4Pack
Yes sir. Sounds good and delicious.
Bell Tower Grey
Was browsing some Youtube cooking sites this morning, looking for inspiration for my grill tonight. Found a video / recipe for Hawaiian roadside chicken that looked interesting. Remembered seeing a Guy Fieri clip for a place on one of the islands that did this roadside chicken thing.....the hook was set. Went to the store for chicken, mixed up enough sauce for both a marinade and also a basting sauce. Gonna see how it goes in a couple of hours.
Bell Tower Grey
Bell Tower Grey said:

Was browsing some Youtube cooking sites this morning, looking for inspiration for my grill tonight. Found a video / recipe for Hawaiian roadside chicken that looked interesting. Remembered seeing a Guy Fieri clip for a place on one of the islands that did this roadside chicken thing.....the hook was set. Went to the store for chicken, mixed up enough sauce for both a marinade and also a basting sauce. Gonna see how it goes in a couple of hours.

Here is the final product. One of the breasts got left on the hot zone with the skin side down a little too long, but the flavor was still good. Brining in the sauce for a couple of hours gave the meat a nice flavor. I will definitely put it in the rotation now for a change of pace grilled chicken.
FlossyDFlynt
Anyone grilling for the ECU game? I am debating what my menu will be
ncsupack1
Grilled some really good bacon burgers yesterday from our butcher. Not sure about the ECU game yet.
ncsupack1
If the rain can hold off, I'm thinking of doing some grilled chicken sandwiches and homemade fries for the race later today. Been so busy haven't had time to fire the grill up.
Bell Tower Grey
Picked up some ribeyes and porterhouse chops to grill tonight before the game. Will try to post a pic later.

Finally got it posted. They turned out very good.
packgrad
Brisket, ribs, and venison meatloaf for the game today. Hunting season. Need to clear out the freezer.

And, W.
ncsupack1
That looks pretty good.
Bell Tower Grey
Got two pounds of shrimp and a pound of scallops that were caught at Wanchese yesterday. Definitely grilling some of that either today or Sunday.
ncsupack1
Going to try something new today. Pizza dip, saw something on line, going to try it for the race today.
Bell Tower Grey
ncsupack1 said:

Going to try something new today. Pizza dip, saw something on line, going to try it for the race today.
Got a recipe for that, or a review if you made it?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.