Grilling Thread

139,418 Views | 1158 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by Seawolf2010
Bell Tower Grey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've never tried Waygu, so for anyone that has, please educate me. Thanks in advance.

Is there that much, if any, difference between Japanese Waygu beef and that now labeled "American" Waygu beef? If so, is it taste, texture, or something else?

I would assume the price for American waygu is less than Japanese? Is it worth the difference to you to buy one over the other?
JocoPack
FlossyDFlynt said:

JocoPack said:

lol I'm serious I've always wanted to try some A5 Wagyu but idk if I want to pay that much for it.

Also I now know it's palate.
The Wegmans in Raleigh had it around Valentines day. I had a friend order wagyu ribs from Snake River Farms in the fall which was incredible, but so rich I couldnt eat that much of it. I do like wagyu a lot but its very filling.

Never cooked it myself, mainly due to fear of cooking it incorrectly. It would be an expensive mistake to make.

That's kinda my thing. I don't want to pay that much for beef and then cook it incorrectly. I've heard it doesn't take as long to cook due to the fat content.
Bell Tower Grey
Put a couple of ribeyes into a zip lock bag with some Allegro marinade this morning. Going to put them on the coals a little later this evening. Mrs. is fixing loaded twice baked potatoes, spinach salad, and shortcake with fresh strawberries to go with it.

If y'all haven't tried Allegro, it's a pretty good commercial marinade. Soy based. First time I had it was years ago with shish kabobs.

allegromarinade.com

pack95
Bell Tower Grey said:

Put a couple of ribeyes into a zip lock bag with some Allegro marinade this morning. Going to put them on the coals a little later this evening. Mrs. is fixing loaded twice baked potatoes, spinach salad, and shortcake with fresh strawberries to go with it.

If y'all haven't tried Allegro, it's a pretty good commercial marinade. Soy based. First time I had it was years ago with shish kabobs.

allegromarinade.com

I've done jerky in Allegro. Good stuff!
Bell Tower Grey
Grilling hot dogs and home ground burgers tonight. Fixed a pot of chili for the hot dogs from a recipe I've used for 30 years. Mrs. is frying bacon for the proteins and fixing steak cut fries to oven bake.
Tootie4Pack
Bell Tower Grey said:

Grilling hot dogs and home ground burgers tonight. Fixed a pot of chili for the hot dogs from a recipe I've used for 30 years. Mrs. is frying bacon for the proteins and fixing steak cut fries to oven bake.

The IPS bus will be there shortly !!
wilmwolf
Making preparations to cook a rib end pork roast tomorrow. Have some ex bourbon barrel wood chips I'll smoke it with for a little while on the grill, then finish it on low heat til it's ready. Haven't decided on the fixins yet.
Bell Tower Grey
Tootie4Pack said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

The IPS bus will be there shortly !!
C'mon, brother. Got plenty. If not, we can always make more.
Bell Tower Grey
wilmwolf80 said:

Making preparations to cook a rib end pork roast tomorrow. Have some ex bourbon barrel wood chips I'll smoke it with for a little while on the grill, then finish it on low heat til it's ready. Haven't decided on the fixins yet.
Just the sound of that makes me hungry. Please let us know how it turns out.
wilmwolf
Roast turned out great. Melt in your mouth tender. Just a little olive oil and a simple dry rub. I think I ate half of it while cutting it up.

Bell Tower Grey
If your household is like ours, there are times when you're both just "what the hell are we going to eat tonight?" and there's nothing really appetizing or calling either of your names (apologies if you are in a single household, you're included as well).

You have a "go to" to remedy that? Ours seems to fall to either breakfast for dinner or a simple sandwich. Admittedly, I'll open a can of Spam, or vienna sausages with crackers if I can't decide on anything else. Wife is a no go for either of those so she will typically opt for cereal..
Mormad
Love breakfast for dinner
Mormad
Did 3 huge racks of ribs tonight with homemade rub, braising sauce, and homemade sweet/spicey bbq sauce. Ridiculous.
JocoPack
Just took a 7lb butt off the egg. Going to let it rest for about 30 min then chop it.
Bell Tower Grey
Has everyone's grills fallen cold? I am firing up the charcoal shortly. Bone in pork chops, and roasted potatoes tonight. Making pig candy apps that I'm grilling as well. Freezer full of strawberry ice cream to top things off.
kbdavis33
Bell Tower Grey said:

Has everyone's grills fallen cold? I am firing up the charcoal shortly. Bone in pork chops, and roasted potatoes tonight. Making pig candy apps that I'm grilling as well. Freezer full of strawberry ice cream to top things off.

Firing up the grill tonight! Steaks
packgrad
Grilled a filet for my wife and a ribeye for me last night. Now, we're smoking a venison meatloaf.
JocoPack
Doing brats on the egg tonight along with a pepper and onion medley on the blackstone
Mormad
Chicken, Dawgs and burgers on the egg tonight. Wish I could post a pic of my view.
ncsupack1
Grilled chicken last night. Today we are going to do burgers and homemade fries.
Bell Tower Grey
Just finished cleaning the grill and getting it ready for today. Grilling brats for lunch.

Have had chicken in brine since yesterday around lunch time that I'll fix tonight.
Wingscupped
Bought a Vortex for my Weber charcoal grill and have cooked wings with it twice. Basically turns your charcoal grill into an air fryer. It is unbelievable and makes with skin on the wings crispy.

Vortex

Great instructional video here
Bell Tower Grey
Wingscupped said:

Bought a Vortex for my Weber charcoal grill and have cooked wings with it twice. Basically turns your charcoal grill into an air fryer. It is unbelievable and makes with skin on the wings crispy.

Vortex

Thanks for posting that. I'm going to have to get one of those.
Wingscupped
Bell Tower Grey said:

Wingscupped said:

Vortex

I used the Texas Pete dry rub on them (no sauce at all). Put them on around the outside of the Vortex. Flip every 15 minutes and also rotate the lid 90 degrees every 15 minutes. Should be done after 5-6 turns. As they cook, the fat rendering off the skin allows the seasoning to absorb into the skin and then it gets crispy. Just add a side of ranch and a cold beer and enjoy.
Bell Tower Grey
Wingscupped said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

Wingscupped said:

Vortex

I used the Texas Pete dry rub on them (no sauce at all). Put them on around the outside of the Vortex. Flip every 15 minutes and also rotate the lid 90 degrees every 15 minutes. Should be done after 5-6 turns. As they cook, the fat rendering off the skin allows the seasoning to absorb into the skin and then it gets crispy. Just add a side of ranch and a cold beer and enjoy.
I will unashamedly admit that I'm stealing that recipe.

I will say this, I will always try to brine chicken, including wings, before I fix it. My maternal grandmother taught me how to cook. Brining chicken was something she always stressed. Up until the last year, I had gotten complacent about it and would only do it occasionally. However, it makes all the difference in the taste of the bird. My brine is simple - sea salt, fine ground black pepper and crushed red pepper mixed with cold water. I try to brine the chicken at least overnight, but even only a few hours if possible makes a difference. If you haven't tried it before, please do.
Bell Tower Grey
Just ordered one. It will be here by Tuesday.

Reading the reviews, it is capable of making some pretty serious wings. Hopefully, it's multi-dimensional in its capabilities.
Wingscupped
Bell Tower Grey said:

Reading the reviews, it is capable of making some pretty serious wings. Hopefully, it's multi-dimensional in its capabilities.
I will definitely try that brine. Thanks for sharing. And report back with any other Vortex tricks you learn. I can't get away from simply making wings with it because they are so damn good.
Bell Tower Grey
Wingscupped said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

I will definitely try that brine. Thanks for sharing. And report back with any other Vortex tricks you learn. I can't get away from simply making wings with it because they are so damn good.
Go to vortexbbq.com A lot of info there, as well as pics and videos. The vortex will be a great addition.
BioAgEng16
Planning on buying a new grill and looking for recommendations. Trying to spend less than $500. I have heard the the Weber Spirit series is good. Have also heard you can't go wrong with a Char Broil.
wilmwolf
On my third charbroil in a decade and a half, Good grill if you take care of them.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
ncsupack1
Grilled ribeye last night. Pretty good, today is ribs on the smoker for race day.
FlossyDFlynt
BioAgEng16 said:

Planning on buying a new grill and looking for recommendations. Trying to spend less than $500. I have heard the the Weber Spirit series is good. Have also heard you can't go wrong with a Char Broil.
Are you looking gas or charcoal? If charcoal and you have a Costco membership, they sell Louisana Grill's that are pretty much Big Green Eggs for half the price. I bought one two years ago and it is far and away the best grill Ive ever owned. Use it a couple of times a week.
Bell Tower Grey
My vortex has been here almost two weeks and, due to day to day life circumstances, it's still waiting for its' virgin burn. It has no idea what this weekend holds, beginning today, lol.

I've got 2 wash tubs full of beer, cooling down with rock salt ice water, in the shower in the garage bathroom (coolest place outside). Couple of the kids and their wags coming over at different times througout the weekend.

.Wings today, with the Texas Pete dust rub as mentioned above. Steaks on Sunday afternoon. Home ground burgers on Monday Leaving all the sides up to the Mrs.
wilmwolf
Only two tubs of beer?
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Tootie4Pack
Bell Tower Grey said:

My vortex has been here almost two weeks and, due to day to day life circumstances, it's still waiting for its' virgin burn. It has no idea what this weekend holds, beginning today, lol.

I've got 2 wash tubs full of beer, cooling down with rock salt ice water, in the shower in the garage bathroom (coolest place outside). Couple of the kids and their wags coming over at different times througout the weekend.

.Wings today, with the Texas Pete dust rub as mentioned above. Steaks on Sunday afternoon. Home ground burgers on Monday Leaving all the sides up to the Mrs.

Hey James and Rob....y'all got the IPS bus up and running yet ?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.