Grilling Thread

140,873 Views | 1158 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Seawolf2010
Bell Tower Grey
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Off the smoker, rested then unwrapped.
ncsupack1
Looks good. Let us know how they turned out.
Bell Tower Grey
ncsupack1 said:

Looks good. Let us know how they turned out.
I was pleased with them. Wanted something with a smooth bite, so I wsed a rub mix that included apple and paprika. Smoked them over apple pellets, with apple juice in the water pan. Spritzed them heavily with apple juice when wrapping, along with some butter and apple butter. They had just enough tug when eating them, and weren't falling off the bone. Total time over the heat / smoke was about 4 hours.

They must have been good because there wasn't any left when I went snack hunting about 11:30 last night.
ncsupack1
Day late but grilled some burgers last night...wife made homemade fries...may hit up the butcher later...thinking ribeye and lobster for dinner....gonna see what they got.
ncsupack1
Off today, so gonna hit up the ABC Store and then my Butcher....gonna stock up for the weekend. Some good Championship races this weekend.
wilmwolf
-Grilled steak last night.

-Left the grill on to burn off the grates.

-Remembered that I left the grill on at approximately 10:30 AM today. She's nice and clean.

This is not the first time I've done this. Gotta start setting an alarm on my phone to remind me or something. I'm off to Costco to refill the tank.
ncsupack1
I've never done that before, but I believe my father in law does...I'm too scared to do that.
wilmwolf
It was my intention to just leave it on for a couple of minutes and then go out and turn it off, then clean it later after dinner. Unfortunately I got distracted and forgot. The tank was fairly low, so at least it wasn't an expensive mistake. The other time I did it I was cooking multiple things and had the grill fairly low and just forgot to turn it off when I took the food off. I'm not normally the forgetful type, but when I do forget, it involves gas and fire I guess. Ugh.
ncsupack1
Got ya. I've had few before and woke up in the middle of the night, and be like I better check but every time I am good.
Bell Tower Grey
I guess almost anyone with gas has left their grill on to burn it off and forgotten it. I certainly have, more than once. Glad to have seen the light again and switched back to charcoal several years ago. I have a nice Weber Genesis that I need to just put new burners in, that will probably last me the rest of my life if I do that. Haven't cooked anything on it in at least 4 or 5 years.

Love the convenience of the gas, but there is just something about that hardwood charcoal that keeps drawing me in....kinda like a hot brunette with an unopened bottle of bourbon with that "come hither" look.
Tootie4Pack
Bell Tower Grey said:

I guess almost anyone with gas has left their grill on to burn it off and forgotten it. I certainly have, more than once. Glad to have seen the light again and switched back to charcoal several years ago. I have a nice Weber Genesis that I need to just put new burners in, that will probably last me the rest of my life if I do that. Haven't cooked anything on it in at least 4 or 5 years.

Love the convenience of the gas, but there is just something about that hardwood charcoal that keeps drawing me in....kinda like a hot brunette with an unopened bottle of bourbon with that "come hither" look.

Let's hope if she has that "come hither" look that you have something to "come hither" with.
Bell Tower Grey
Tootie4Pack said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

Let's hope if she has that "come hither" look that you have something to "come hither" with.
ncsupack1
About set to light up the Weber...Jack in hand.
Bell Tower Grey
Lit mine about the same time you did.

Paired well with ECSB.
ncsupack1
^looks good...our dinner was spot on...
Tootie4Pack
Bell Tower Grey said:

Tootie4Pack said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

That sums it up pretty well.
Cthepack
JocoPack said:

Going to try these this weekend at some point

Just did these tonight for the first time. Family very happy with them.
TheStorm
wilmwolf80 said:

-Grilled steak last night.

-Left the grill on to burn off the grates.

-Remembered that I left the grill on at approximately 10:30 AM today. She's nice and clean.

This is not the first time I've done this. Gotta start setting an alarm on my phone to remind me or something. I'm off to Costco to refill the tank.
I resemble this remark.

Have done it about four (4) times in about the last five (5) years. Each and every time while watching a State game and drinking liquor. The times that I haven't done it, I still keep wondering if I have and end up checking the grill multiple times throughout the game, forgetting that I've already done it.

Fortunately, I have three (3) tanks that I keep full in reserve (plus you need one for the fish fryer as well). If you use it consistently, even a relatively good stainless grill only lasts three (3) - four (4) years down here on the coast (I don't have money to burn on that Wilmington Grill without the wife decapitating me, but boy... would I sure like to buy one). Last grill I bought was non-stainless and it lasted almost as long as the stainless ones.

Will have four (4) tanks next spring.
Tootie4Pack
BTG, how do you post the pics of your delicious looking food on here? Thanks.
Bell Tower Grey
Tootie4Pack said:

BTG, how do you post the pics of your delicious looking food on here? Thanks.
Hope I get this right; I am not the tech person to actually ask. Maybe someone else here is, and will assist you, but I'll give it a try. Go to the tab that looks like a tv / computer screen. It will say insert / upload photo. Click that button, then the select file tab. Open you pic you want to use, then hit the post button... (hopefully this works for you.

This is dinner from tonight. Top pic is margherita pizza (mozzarella,fresh minced garlic, fall tomatoes from our garden, and basil from our garden).

Bottom is meats (pepperoni, bacon and pork sausage, with garlic, mozzarella,and parmesan cheeses). Both were on a homemade, garlic dough crust brushed with olive oil and tomato sauce. Prebaked the crusts, then added toppings and finished them off over hardwood charcoal in the vortex.
Tootie4Pack
Hopefully I added the picture correctly.

Here are some thick chops from Acre Station that I grilled tonight. Delicious !
Tootie4Pack
And some fresh tuna steaks that I also grilled.
I cut the tuna in half because neither my wife or daughter want to see any pink tuna. I cut them in half about 2/3 of the way thru when grilling. A blackened seasoning on top. Also delicious !
Tootie4Pack
Thanks for your assistance with posting the pics. I appreciate it !!
TheStorm
Some damn good stuff in this thread, that is for sure.
Bell Tower Grey
Tootie4Pack said:

Thanks for your assistance with posting the pics. I appreciate it !!
You're welcome. Great job with the chops and tuna. Both looked very appetizing.
ncsupack1
Tootie4Pack said:

Hopefully I added the picture correctly.

Here are some thick chops from Acre Station that I grilled tonight. Delicious !

Those bad boys look good.
Tootie4Pack
They were delicious. Extra thick cut chops. I have a Holland Grill and love it, but I also want to get a charcoal grill because I know how the taste changes when cooked over charcoal.
Bell Tower Grey
I've never been a fan of either the Holland or Wilmington style grills. Looked at and researched them when they first became "the next best thing", but formed my own opinion that they were no more than a glorified outdoor oven.

As for charcoal, I've looked (and still am looking) at KJ's, but I'm perfectly happy with my Weber 22" kettle. I can do about anything with that than can be done with most other products, and turn our some pretty good grub.
FlossyDFlynt
Replacement grill scheduled to be delivered today. As its coming from Fedex Freight, I have no idea how this delivery will work. Tracking says the package is 324 pounds
Tootie4Pack
Got a friend who also spoke highly of the Weber Kettle grill. Two endorsements is good enough for me. Thanks.
Bell Tower Grey
FlossyDFlynt said:

Replacement grill scheduled to be delivered today. As its coming from Fedex Freight, I have no idea how this delivery will work. Tracking says the package is 324 pounds
So Flossy, did your grill arrove in good shape?
Bell Tower Grey
Tootie4Pack said:

Got a friend who also spoke highly of the Weber Kettle grill. Two endorsements is good enough for me. Thanks.
I love mine. Third one I've owned. Other than replacing the charcoal and grilling grates, they've all been maintenance free. If I don't buy a KJ, I do plan to get the larger 26" kettle.

Whatever size you get, make sure to get a chimney starter for your charcoal. Beats the hell out of lighter fluid.
Tootie4Pack
Bell Tower Grey said:

Tootie4Pack said:

I love mine. Third one I've owned. Other than replacing the charcoal and grilling grates, they've all been maintenance free. If I don't buy a KJ, I do plan to get the larger 26" kettle.

Whatever size you get, make sure to get a chimney starter for your charcoal. Beats the hell out of lighter fluid.
Yes to the chimney starter. Worked in a hardware store for many years and we sold them. Customers said they were the only way to start the charcoal. Thanks again.
packgrad
Tootie4Pack said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

Tootie4Pack said:

Yes to the chimney starter. Worked in a hardware store for many years and we sold them. Customers said they were the only way to start the charcoal. Thanks again.
I used the Kettle for many years, and still do occasionally when trying to hide from the neighbors. I used to also take it and a smaller one to games for tailgating. My brother just bought the 26". Excellent products.

I have also cooked on my neighbor's store brand charcoal grill. The difference in quality, temp control, max temp is tremendous. Weber is a clear winner in it's market.
FlossyDFlynt
Bell Tower Grey said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

So Flossy, did your grill arrove in good shape?

It arrove just fine. It was an absolute ***** to get it in the house as it came on a pallet. Took it apart as much as I could then had to call in a favor from a neighbor just to get it in. Built part of it and have a friend coming over later to help me get the ceramic bowl into the stand.

Due to weather, probably wont be breaking it in until Sunday

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.