Grilling Thread

139,441 Views | 1158 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by Seawolf2010
waynecountywolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bell Tower Grey said:

Got up this morning and decided to fix bacon, egg and cheese english muffins. However, when Mrs. BTG got up, she said she'd rather have biscuits instead of english muffins. I gave her space to fix the biscuits. Here is the result

She knocked those cat heads out of the park.
Did the guy in the background get to sample one?
Tootie4Pack
Bell Tower Grey said:

Got up this morning and decided to fix bacon, egg and cheese english muffins. However, when Mrs. BTG got up, she said she'd rather have biscuits instead of english muffins. I gave her space to fix the biscuits. Here is the result

Love it when the biscuits are so big and full of food and delicious .....and when referred to as big as a cat's head. I bet they were even more delicious than they looked !!
packgrad
6 ribeyes and 2 filets on the Big Joe tonight. Sliced all into strips when done. Made a chimichurri that i drizzled on top. Serves with broccoli and asparagus.
Bell Tower Grey
waynecountywolf said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

Glad you noticed him...that's my boy.. He got a whole one for himself! He was finishing off a piece of egg that I had given him right before I took the pic.
Bell Tower Grey

Wings from tonight.

And yes, those are bbq restaurant style plates. When our kids were little, they always commented about the portion style plates at most bbq restaurants we ate at. Wanted to know if we could get some. So, being this was a somewhat simple pleasure for them, I headed to a restaurant supply company and bought a total of 10 plates as well as bowls to match. That was years ago. The damn things are like kudzu, you can't kill them. Given that, we use them a lot of the time, even though it's just the two of us now. When the kids got out on their own, one of their house warming gifts was 8 new plates and bowls, as well as serving bowls. They all use them on a regular basis, or so we're told, lol.
waynecountywolf
Bell Tower Grey said:

waynecountywolf said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

Glad you noticed him...that's my boy.. He got a whole one for himself! He was finishing off a piece of egg that I had given him right before I took the pic.
Bet he is a Good Boy
Steve Videtich
Got these smoked, then wrapped and in the oven for the slow cook. Then power outage after an hour and 20 minutes. Currently regulating the gas grill for the remainder of the slow cook. STAY TUNED!!!
Bell Tower Grey
waynecountywolf said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

waynecountywolf said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

Bet he is a Good Boy
He is a good boy. He's 8. His baby mama, a yellow who is 9, also lives here. She is more my wife's dog, as he's more mine, but we love them and they love us. What a sad time it would be in a world without dogs.
Steve Videtich
So, here's my makeshift oven on the grill with some backyard stones. Power so out. You can see my result. So tasty!

Tootie4Pack
I think that when the Loyal Order of IPS Grillers goes on a road trip , we need to swing by Utah and stop by your house for a weekend of grilled goodies.
Bell Tower Grey
Nice job of improvisation, Steve! Looks like they turned out good.

I failed to get pics of the beef ribs, but I was pleased with how they turned out. On the smoker at 250 for 4 hours. Mopped them with sauce for the last 30 minutes, then sauced and foil wrapped them to rest for 15 minutes after they came off the smoker.

While I wasn't able to nail the Darryl's sauce (which was available (but no longer) for a while at Food Lion and bottled by the Texas Pete folks, I made my own. Used a bottle of Bone Suckin' Sauce mixed with a small bottle of A 1, heated to a simmer, then applied to the meat. I will make that again.

And tootie, we need to work on the bbq caravan.
Steve Videtich
Tootie4Pack said:

I think that when the Loyal Order of IPS Grillers goes on a road trip , we need to swing by Utah and stop by your house for a weekend of grilled goodies.

NC State folks are welcome anytime!
Steve Videtich
Bell Tower Grey said:

Nice job of improvisation, Steve! Looks like they turned out good.

I failed to get pics of the beef ribs, but I was pleased with how they turned out. On the smoker at 250 for 4 hours. Mopped them with sauce for the last 30 minutes, then sauced and foil wrapped them to rest for 15 minutes after they came off the smoker.

While I wasn't able to nail the Darryl's sauce (which was available (but no longer) for a while at Food Lion and bottled by the Texas Pete folks, I made my own. Used a bottle of Bone Suckin' Sauce mixed with a small bottle of A 1, heated to a simmer, then applied to the meat. I will make that again.

And tootie, we need to work on the bbq caravan.

Man, when you started talking about beef ribs at Darryl's, that brought back a lot of memories! Used to get those at the one by Old Salem in Winston when I was a kid. That's crazy that somebody bottles the sauce.
Bell Tower Grey
Steve Videtich said:

Man, when you started talking about beef ribs at Darryl's, that brought back a lot of memories! Used to get those at the one by Old Salem in Winston when I was a kid. That's crazy that somebody bottles the sauce.
TW Garner Foods on Indiana Ave in W-S used to bottle it. I guess when they sold out and the company was taken public they must have discontinued some of their private label production.

Other than the large, cold pitchers of beer, my two favorite meals at Darryl's were the beef ribs and their pizza. Back in the day, their pizza could hold its own against any out there....that cracker crust was what made it.
Tootie4Pack
Amen to the cracker crust. Heck, just the crackers were pretty durn good , too, especially with a frosty mug full of an adult beverage.
Bell Tower Grey
Tootie4Pack said:

Amen to the cracker crust. Heck, just the crackers were pretty durn good , too, especially with a frosty mug full of an adult beverage.
Yep. My wife makes the cracker crust bread sometimes for apps. Very thin, rolled dough. Brushed with a little kosher salt, garlic butter and Texas Pete dust. Not too bad for home made.
Wolfer79
I got in trouble for my last post on this topic
trying again

How long did they think they could keep up this charade? Penn and @LaGuardiaCross pretend that grilling "is a science," but their real secret weapon is @AceHardware #ad

Bell Tower Grey
Wolfer79 said:

I got in trouble for my last post on this topic
trying again

How long did they think they could keep up this charade? Penn and @LaGuardiaCross pretend that grilling "is a science," but their real secret weapon is @AceHardware #ad

They're probably fans of a meal delivery service. Such a disservice to those of us that enjoy cooking out.
packgrad
Smoked some beef short ribs for dinner tonight. Also made a chimichurri dipping sauce.

Steve Videtich
packgrad said:

Smoked some beef short ribs for dinner tonight. Also made a chimichurri dipping sauce.

That looks tasty!
Civilized
How'd that chimichurri turn out?
Bell Tower Grey
Good looking beef ribs. Nice job.
packgrad
They were great. Chimichurri was good too. I used a different recipe that had onions and capers in it this time. Would use a little less onion next time, but still good. We love chimichurri and often just use the plain Jane chopped parsley, oregano, garlic, red wine vinegar, olive oil chimichurri, so this was a new one for us.

The short ribs actually had a somewhat funny and expensive story. Had to go to 2 Teeters to get some in stock. Asked each butcher if they had any in back that hadn't already been chopped. The second one did. He told me they came with 4 in a pack. I said that's what I was looking for, as evidenced by the pic above of the ribs, and went to grab a couple other things while he was getting from the cooler. When I got back the butcher was helping the next person and had left mine on top of the display. I grabbed it and thought this is a huge bag. Looked inside and there were 4 RACKS of ribs. Initially I got back in line to exchange for just one, but then I changed my mind. I had limited time and I have a freezer. We'll eat them eventually, but yikes that bill was more than planned.
Tootie4Pack
packgrad said:

They were great. Chimichurri was good too. I used a different recipe that had onions and capers in it this time. Would use a little less onion next time, but still good. We love chimichurri and often just use the plain Jane chopped parsley, oregano, garlic, red wine vinegar, olive oil chimichurri, so this was a new one for us.

The short ribs actually had a somewhat funny and expensive story. Had to go to 2 Teeters to get some in stock. Asked each butcher if they had any in back that hadn't already been chopped. The second one did. He told me they came with 4 in a pack. I said that's what I was looking for, as evidenced by the pic above of the ribs, and went to grab a couple other things while he was getting from the cooler. When I got back the butcher was helping the next person and had left mine on top of the display. I grabbed it and thought this is a huge bag. Looked inside and there were 4 RACKS of ribs. Initially I got back in line to exchange for just one, but then I changed my mind. I had limited time and I have a freezer. We'll eat them eventually, but yikes that bill was more than planned.

With those extra ribs, sounds like the IPS BBQ Tasting Tour should start at your house.
ncsupack1
Ribeyes turned out great yesterday...gonna do wings on the Weber later.
Bell Tower Grey
Cleaned up the Weber earlier and now relaxing with a Voodoo Ranger. Gonna get some grill therapy later; just going to cook some chickens. Trying to get my act back together since we buried our mom yesterday, and have her memorial service upcoming on Saturday. Thankfully the cooking helps me focus.
Steve Videtich
Working on some pulled pork for tonight!
ncsupack1
Let us know how it turns out....I'm thinking of doing one next weekend.
ncsupack1
Bell Tower Grey said:

Cleaned up the Weber earlier and now relaxing with a Voodoo Ranger. Gonna get some grill therapy later; just going to cook some chickens. Trying to get my act back together since we buried our mom yesterday, and have her memorial service upcoming on Saturday. Thankfully the cooking helps me focus.

Sorry to hear that.
Steve Videtich
ncsupack1 said:

Let us know how it turns out....I'm thinking of doing one next weekend.

Notice a nice sweet tea next to the plate!
ncsupack1
Yes I do. Looks great.
metcalfmafia
Man oh man Steve. I think I could eat that for breakfast this morning.
Steve Videtich
metcalfmafia said:

Man oh man Steve. I think I could eat that for breakfast this morning.

I'm still enjoying that set of pulled pork! The reason I bring up the sweet tea in the background is because living out here in Utah sweet tea is not always available everywhere, unfortunately.

When I first got out here to Utah, somebody took me to one of the better barbecue places in the area. When I sat down and they asked me what I wanted to drink, Of course I said sweet tea. They responded, we don't have sweet tea..I responded saying are you serious? That's like rule number 2 of operating a barbecue joint you serve sweet tea, haha!
packgrad
Had a birthday recently. Gifted a rotisserie for my KJ Big Joe. Supposed to arrive tomorrow. Excited to break it in hopefully this weekend.
ncsupack1
Have the day off and thinking of hitting up my local butcher to see what he's got going. Wanting to grill later today.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.