Grilling Thread

140,561 Views | 1158 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Seawolf2010
Steve Videtich
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bell Tower Grey said:

Was just in Food Lion and they have pork butts on sale for .99 / lb. Haven't seen them priced that low there in a while. I didn't check to see when the sale ends, but I did pick up a couple since they were at a good price.

Checked local prices yesterday. They have come down, but not to that level. But, I'm not in NC either, haha.
TheStorm
packgrad said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

Was just in Food Lion and they have pork butts on sale for .99 / lb. Haven't seen them priced that low there in a while. I didn't check to see when the sale ends, but I did pick up a couple since they were at a good price.

I hate I missed this sale.
Yeah, where have you been recently anyway? I noticed you were MIA for about a month or so...
packgrad
TheStorm said:

packgrad said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

Yeah, where have you been recently anyway? I noticed you were MIA for about a month or so...

Decided to take a break. Basketball team in turmoil, economy in turmoil, football slow season. Hit unsubscribe for a couple months as the place wasn't doing anything for me. Focus on things I enjoy.

Wish I had come back a little sooner as butts are back up to $2.29/# at the FL I stopped at in Cary. Almost rejoined a couple weeks ago just to post pics of the spread I smoked for a family reunion. Smoked a brisket, butt, ribs, chicken wings, jalapeño poppers. Went along with a buffet full of vegetables , a few pans of sister shuberts rolls, and a half dozen or so desserts. I cooked all the meats and a couple of the vegetables. Was a heck of a spread that turned out really good.
Bell Tower Grey
Was checking stores for prices and found this from the Nahunta Outlet store in Raleigh (they don't have the same offer in Pikeville)

May 11 - 14

Fresh Pork Picnic Shoulders- Buy 1, Get another for only $3.00

Fresh Pork Boston Butts- Buy 1, Get another for only $3.00
TheStorm
packgrad said:

TheStorm said:

packgrad said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

Decided to take a break. Basketball team in turmoil, economy in turmoil, football slow season. Hit unsubscribe for a couple months as the place wasn't doing anything for me. Focus on things I enjoy.

Wish I had come back a little sooner as butts are back up to $2.29/# at the FL I stopped at in Cary. Almost rejoined a couple weeks ago just to post pics of the spread I smoked for a family reunion. Smoked a brisket, butt, ribs, chicken wings, jalapeño poppers. Went along with a buffet full of vegetables , a few pans of sister shuberts rolls, and a half dozen or so desserts. I cooked all the meats and a couple of the vegetables. Was a heck of a spread that turned out really good.
I think you could still post a couple of those pics here, couldn't you?

Also, welcome back!
JocoPack
Not sure what the outlet store looks like but I keep a bag of their individually frozen pork steaks in the freezer. Put them in a skillet with some gravy and onions and you'll be on cloud 9
It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.
Bell Tower Grey
JocoPack said:

Not sure what the outlet store looks like but I keep a bag of their individually frozen pork steaks in the freezer. Put them in a skillet with some gravy and onions and you'll be on cloud 9
The outlet store is at the State Farmer's Market. Not a bad little place, but not the superstore in Pikeville.

I'll look for those pork steaks next time I'm in there. Appreciate that tip.
ncsupack1
Grilling some ribeye's on the Weber. Going easy, potatoes, baked beans, and broccoli. Was thinking of opening a beer but getting up early to do some fishing tomorrow.
Bell Tower Grey
Grilled tuna and shrimp skewers during the second intermission of the hockey game. Mrs. fixed oven roasted potatoes and broccoli as sides. Pitcher of beer margaritas to wash it down.

About time to give her that last gardening book.
ncsupack1
Bell Tower Grey said:

Grilled tuna and shrimp skewers during the second intermission of the hockey game. Mrs. fixed oven roasted potatoes and broccoli as sides. Pitcher of beer margaritas to wash it down.

I've always wanted to make beer margaritas.
Bell Tower Grey
Great hot weather drink! Can sneak up on you depending on how much tequila you use. I usually just fill the container the frozen limeade comes in with tequila, add it to the limeade then add the beer to top off the pitcher.
ncsupack1
Will have to tell the Mrs about this…lol thanks
Tootie4Pack
Bell Tower Grey said:

That's 5 gardening book in two days. Was there a
Pop quiz last night ?
Bell Tower Grey
Tootie4Pack said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

That's 5 gardening book in two days. Was there a
Pop quiz last night ?
Yes! I made 100. With practice, she will become a master gardener.
Bell Tower Grey
I got ribeyes and chops at the butcher yesterday morning. They will be over charcoal a little later today. Also got some fresh local sweet potatoes, and strawberries. Mrs. is baking the potatoes and fixing some type of spring salad with the strawberries in it.

Son and soon to be daughter-in-law are coming for dinner. He's bringing a bottle of Makers Mark Private Select that he got on their bourbon trail tour last summer; she is making a cheesecake and will fix a topping for it with some of the strawberries.
PackFansXL
Bell Tower Grey said:

I got ribeyes and chops at the butcher yesterday morning. They will be over charcoal a little later today. Also got some fresh local sweet potatoes, and strawberries. Mrs. is baking the potatoes and fixing some type of spring salad with the strawberries in it.

Son and soon to be daughter-in-law are coming for dinner. He's bringing a bottle of Makers Mark Private Select that he got on their bourbon trail tour last summer; she is making a cheesecake and will fix a topping for it with some of the strawberries.
Sounds like a great family gathering with good food as a bonus. That all sounds delicious BTW.
Bell Tower Grey
Brined some chicken breasts and thighs in salt water, black pepper and Texas Pete for a few hours Sunday morning, then grilled them over charcoal yesterday evening. Basted my homemade bbq sauce over them for the last 20 minutes. Turned out quite good Had sides of salad from our garden and baked sweet potatoes.

ncsupack1
Picked up some corn and burgers for the race today. I also need to find a nice thermomotor for my Weber smoker, old one went bad. Lots of beer are set as well.
FlossyDFlynt
PSA - Costco now sells tri tip
ncsupack1
10/4
Bell Tower Grey
Asked the butcher to cut a pork loin for me this morning. Came home with one just over 2 lbs, which is just right for us. Have it rubbed down with a bacon grease binder, and then coated with a mix of dalmatian and crushed red pepper. Will put it over a hickory / oak wood mix in just a little while.
ncsupack1
Went to our butcher this morning and grab some ribeye,poppers, and brats. Brats are for tomorrow for the race. Vodka in hand.
Bell Tower Grey
Vodka....I just poured a gin and tonic myself.
ncsupack1
Cheers….about to fire up the grill and place some poppers on it…probably gonna have a not 23 moment tomorrow.
Bell Tower Grey
Lol at not 23.. We've all prayed the prayer to have God get us through "this one" and it won't happen again. I'm 63, and have been at that altar too many times to count. But, 8 years ago I was there in a bad way. I prayed the prayer, made the promise, and have held fast since then. I know for a fact it's been 8 years and 4 months since I wasn't 23 again. And I feel a lot better for it.

Oh, I still take a drink. But in moderation. Enjoy, friend.
ncsupack1
Very good advice…I've been trying to cut back….good insight.
Bell Tower Grey
Bell Tower Grey said:

Asked the butcher to cut a pork loin for me this morning. Came home with one just over 2 lbs, which is just right for us. Have it rubbed down with a bacon grease binder, and then coated with a mix of dalmatian and crushed red pepper. Will put it over a hickory / oak wood mix in just a little while.
Right before it came off. Not sure if I will serve it sliced or chunky chopped. Have Scott's to sauce it, if necessary.

Sierrawolf
Got a new Weber Performer Deluxe and have been loving getting back to charcoal. Grillin up some wings tonight and throwing a couple back
ncsupack1
Sierrawolf said:

Got a new Weber Performer Deluxe and have been loving getting back to charcoal. Grillin up some wings tonight and throwing a couple back
I love charcoal as well. Last night we used the gas Weber for the ribeye and poppers. Today for the brats it will be charcoal for sure, need to figure out sides. Going to throw back a few as well.....a little slow this am after yesterday....lots of coffee this morning. At some point I need to start working on tailgating menus, want to try some new things this year.
Bell Tower Grey
I got some wings while I was at the butcher shop on Saturday. Going to cook them with the vortex this afternoon before the race. That vortex is the best $20 I've spent in a long time. It makes some of the best, most crispy, wings you'll ever eat.
ncsupack1
We are doing poppers before race and brats during. Too hot for yard work today.
Bell Tower Grey

The wings, hit with just a splash of Scott's. They were great.
ncsupack1
Been out of town all week due to work. Thinking of hitting the butcher up later. Also, got my new PitBoss tailgating griddle for races and football. Need to try it out.
Bell Tower Grey
ncsupack1 said:

Been out of town all week due to work. Thinking of hitting the butcher up later. Also, got my new PitBoss tailgating griddle for races and football. Need to try it out.
Please provide more info (and pics if possible) of your new griddle. Interested in learning more about that.

I'm heading to the butcher shop in a little while - getting a bone in ribeye for me and a bone in chop for the Mrs. Also picking up ingredients to grind beef burgers for some of us, and pork burgers for the others, for Monday.
ncsupack1
Will try, not sure how to post pics. It's called the sportsman tabletop gas griddle. Heavy and durable, been wanting something new and this thing allows us to do multiple types of cooking. Will give up date later. Son and I picked up some ribs for later on the Weber smoker. BTW, I love a bone in ribeye.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.