Grilling Thread

141,742 Views | 1158 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Seawolf2010
JocoPack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Made some fish stew tonight. Even the kids enjoyed it
packgrad
Forgot to take a finished pic, but we spatchcocked a chicken and cooked it on the Big Joe. Rubbed it with Chicken **** and Aw **** rubs. Went to the Mexican supermarket and picked up some fresh corn tortillas, jalapeƱos, avocados, and cilantro. Also picked up some house made salsa verde and roja. Fried some of the tortillas for chips. Heated the others through (most were already warm) and made tacos. So good.

ncsupack1
Looks good. Off today, so I plan on hitting up my butcher today and see what he has.
JocoPack
Had some steak tacos last night

TheStorm
^ Damn. Those look delicious...
ncsupack1
That looks great! Got some bacon burgers and some poppers for tonight. Side is home made fries.
JocoPack
Thanks fellas

The star of the whole show was the "cowboy candy" the wife made.

Working from home during covid got her into canning various veggies/peppers and man I have reaped the benefits.
Bell Tower Grey
JocoPack said:

Thanks fellas

Working from home during covid got her into canning various veggies/peppers and man I have reaped the benefits.
JoCo, please provide more detail about the cowboy candy; and, a recipe if the wife will share it. Thanks.
ncsupack1
One question, where did you get the steak?
JocoPack
Bell Tower Grey said:

JocoPack said:

Thanks fellas

JoCo, please provide more detail about the cowboy candy; and, a recipe if the wife will share it. Thanks.
Working on getting it now. It's very good stuff. Sort of a sweetness to them but can pack a punch too if they've been sitting a while.
JocoPack
ncsupack1 said:

One question, where did you get the steak?
Food Lion. It's a flank steak that I put in a ziplock bag with some Mexican spices/salsas (just kind of got creative with what I had on hand) and seared it really good on both sides. Key to a flank steak is not overcooking it and slicing it into strips.
ncsupack1
Thanks. Gonna have to try this.
Bell Tower Grey
Bought this 7 lb. pork tenderloin at the butcher shop yesterday. Rubbed it down this morning with salt, black and crushed red pepper, then put it on to smoke over oak and hickory coals.

Have it wrapped now. Will chop and sauce it later today for bbq on Sunday.

Also got a couple of ribeyes that I'm putting on the coals after the basketball game today to have for the football game.
JocoPack
Not the result we wanted on the field last nightā€¦at least the smoked cream cheese and ribeyes were good though

Sierrawolf
JocoPack said:

Not the result we wanted on the field last nightā€¦at least the smoked cream cheese and ribeyes were good though

Smoked cream cheese!? Holy moly. I need the deets on that.
JocoPack
Sierrawolf said:

JocoPack said:

Smoked cream cheese!? Holy moly. I need the deets on that.
Been a trend going around the past couple of months so I finally tried it the first time last week

Literally just take a block of Philadelphia Cream Cheese, liberally coat with your favorite bbq rub, and smoke for 1-2 hours at 225. I put 1-2 hours because you'll want to keep an eye on it. It won't melt but it will get a little burnt if left too long. I like to put some score marks in mine before going on the smoker to give you little "pockets" to dip with your cracker/knife. After it cools you can coat it with any jelly/salsa/sauce you want.

Something else I figured out is you definitely want to use some sort of fruit/lighter wood, and not much of it(I used to small pucks of fig). The first time I did it I think I went overboard on the smoke. Definitely a cheap and unique appetizer though. Would be a crowd pleaser at Thanksgiving for sure.
Bell Tower Grey
Bell Tower Grey said:

Bought this 7 lb. pork tenderloin at the butcher shop yesterday. Rubbed it down this morning with salt, black and crushed red pepper, then put it on to smoke over oak and hickory coals.

Have it wrapped now. Will chop and sauce it later today for bbq on Sunday.

Also got a couple of ribeyes that I'm putting on the coals after the basketball game today to have for the football game.
Final product. Shredded with bear claws, sauced with Scott's. Served on buttered, toasted buns, with House Autry Sweet Onion hush puppies.

Tootie4Pack
JoCo and BTG....that is some delicious looking food. Y'all have got to be part of the food crew that serves the rest of us if and when we have an IPS get together. Looks smacking good !!
WolfpackCPA
Smoke duck on the BGE
Steve Videtich
WolfpackCPA said:

Smoke duck on the BGE

That's a specimen!!!
Bell Tower Grey
WolfpackCPA said:

Smoke duck on the BGE

Other than spatchcocking the duck, how else did you prepare it before smoking? Brine or dry rub?
It looks great.
JocoPack
Man that looks great!
WolfpackCPA
Bell Tower Grey said:

WolfpackCPA said:

Smoke duck on the BGE

Other than spatchcocking the duck, how else did you prepare it before smoking? Brine or dry rub?
It looks great.

Not spatchcocking - it was a whole duck and just did salt, pepper, and garlic powder on the outside. Went with a cherry wood to not over power the duck.

Took about 2.5 hours. Enjoy birds as they have short cook times.
JocoPack
WolfpackCPA said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

WolfpackCPA said:

Smoke duck on the BGE

It looks great.

Not spatchcocking - it was a whole duck and just did salt, pepper, and garlic powder on the outside. Went with a cherry wood to not over power the duck.

Sounds simple which means I'm sure it was delicious. Did not take me long to figure out to use lighter wood with birds. I love smokey flavor but it's not hard to overdo it sometimes.
WolfpackCPA
JocoPack said:

WolfpackCPA said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

WolfpackCPA said:

Smoke duck on the BGE

It looks great.

Sounds simple which means I'm sure it was delicious. Did not take me long to figure out to use lighter wood with birds. I love smokey flavor but it's not hard to overdo it sometimes.

Agree I ruined my first couple of chickens that way.
WolfpackCPA
Has anybody tried the BGE genius? Basically keeps the temperature the same with a small fan in the bottom vent.

I am probably going to get it regardless because I would love to not be tied to the house all day cooking butts and briskets.
JocoPack
WolfpackCPA said:

Has anybody tried the BGE genius? Basically keeps the temperature the same with a small fan in the bottom vent.

I am probably going to get it regardless because I would love to not be tied to the house all day cooking butts and briskets.

I have a smokeboss which is pretty much the same thing. Absolutely love it. Like you said allows you to leave the house and keep a check on things. Best of all is you can basically keep up with the internal temp real-time and if needed hit the fan towards the end of the cook to turbo towards your finishing temp. Being able to raise the temp on a whim has saved my butt(get it?) several times when it was stalling to get to finishing temp.
WolfpackCPA
Sold! Will be purchasing that tomorrow. I really appreciate the help!!
FlossyDFlynt
WolfpackCPA said:

I have a buddy that has one. I think it takes away some of the fun of cooking, but it definitely has its uses. I will say it came in handy when I was cooking a meal while very impaired, so we used it to set it and forget it, which was real nice given my state of mind.

I will give it a thumbs up if you are doing anything that goes overnight. Definitely ran into issues with that before.
JocoPack
WolfpackCPA said:

Sold! Will be purchasing that tomorrow. I really appreciate the help!!
One of my favorite cooks with it was when we took the kids to Ocracoke a couple of years ago. I left my Mini BGE smoking a 6.5lb butt and could keep an eye on it and control the temp right from my phone while surf fishing. Like Flossy said it does kind of take some of the fun out of it, hence why I may use mine 3 or 4 times a year, but it's nice to have when you can't be right there by the cooker.
JocoPack
And we're off

ncsupack1
^^ Those looked good. Thinking of doing some chicken on the grill today. Kinda being lazy so may just do them on the gas Weber.
JocoPack
Kids wanted wings tonight. Rubbed with meat church honey hog and smoked with some fig wood I got from the farm. Spun a few in some Asian zing inspired sauce I made.

It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.
WolfpackCPA
Smoked a bone in prime rib. Read online that 130 would be medium rare but probably still on the rare side. Put the rub on a hour before smoking and still got a great crust.

FlossyDFlynt
Speaking of, for those in Raleigh, the Harris Teeter near me was running a great special on these

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.