Improvements at Doak Field (04/18/2024 Doak 2.0) $20MM approved by BOG

194,692 Views | 1062 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by metcalfmafia
Bell Tower Grey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PoleD said:

Even if we had $30M in hand would you trust that we would get the most out of it?
Interesting question. Also subjective. I'd like to see three different contractors receive bid sheets for what Avent and the school might want to build for that $30M, and then look at them when they come back to see what the builders would provide. I image there would be quite a few differences based on interpretation

Suffice it to say, not everyone would be happy regardless of what came back.
wilmwolf
We could build a replica of Yankee stadium and there would be people complaining that it wasn't Fenway. It's the nature of the beast, you can't please everyone. What we're doing seems to be what Avent and the players want, so that's good enough to me.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
BobbyCox95
wilmwolf80 said:

We could build a replica of Yankee stadium and there would be people complaining that it wasn't Fenway. It's the nature of the beast, you can't please everyone. What we're doing seems to be what Avent and the players want, so that's good enough to me.

Hmmm I dunno. Hard to say we will just complain about anything when you look at the Doak compared to our peers. I think we have a legitimate complaint. Nobody is complaining about Carter Finley or Reynolds or Lonnie Poole or Derr etc.
wilmwolf
BobbyCox95 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Hmmm I dunno. Hard to say we will just complain about anything when you look at the Doak compared to our peers. I think we have a legitimate complaint. Nobody is complaining about Carter Finley or Reynolds or Lonnie Poole or Derr etc.

Lololol, everyone complains about Carter Finley, including me, do you even read the threads around here? A large group of people still complain we spent the money on Reynolds instead of on other things, like baseball. Plenty of people hate PNC. If complaining about stuff raised money, NC State would be rich.
BobbyCox95
wilmwolf80 said:

BobbyCox95 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Lololol, everyone complains about Carter Finley, including me, do you even read the threads around here? A large group of people still complain we spent the money on Reynolds instead of on other things, like baseball. Plenty of people hate PNC. If complaining about stuff raised money, NC State would be rich.

Lololol I must not read the same threads as you. Only complaint t I've seen about CF is the east bathrooms. Forgot about that one but those are justified. We've spent well over 100 million on football renovations and somehow forgot about the whole east side. Like painting three sides of your house and leaving the 4th untouched.
Wolfer79
.@OU_Baseball announces an estimated $30M ballpark renovation with a strong emphasis on player development facilities. Great to see and certainly well deserved.

89_Grad
BobbyCox95 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

I don't disagree, they should've put more money in baseball over the years. They've been focused on football facilities spending, which up until recently was necessary just to be competitive. Fact is, they've had to pick and choose because of the money that was available, and they've chosen football. So, we can sit around and wonder how we got here, but you can't change the past. If we want baseball to have better facilities in the here and now, giving money directly to this project is the way to do it. We heard for years that there were folks ready to open their checkbooks as soon as Yow was gone, so it shouldn't be a problem to meet and exceed the current goals.

I think 10 million raised in just a couple months is pretty good. Especially considering everyone's financial investments are most likely tanking right now. Maybe to go even deeper I wonder how we got to this point even before 20 years ago. I know…..off topic, but how did we go from the mid 60's to 1998 with almost no facility investment other than the Weisiger Brown facility. If we already had a decent stadium 20-30 years ago then pouring 15 million now could make it top of the line. But instead, here we are putting lipstick on the pig. If I'm being honest, even with these enhancements, optically it's still one of the worst in the conference.
THis story's been told also. Willis Casey, like many in the generation who came up in the Great Depression (the one in the 1930s), was, I've been told, extremely debt averse, and evidently he spent all extra revenues from 1967 until the early 80s paying off the original Carter Stadium bonds (with an extremely low interest rate) off early so athletics department could be "debt free". But clearly in doing so, he dug us into a facilities hole it's taken decades to climb out of...It's an example of a cash flow/cash management philosophy that is naturally appealing at a very simplistic level ("live within your means"), but when you think about it in a more sophisticated way, it causes problems down the road...
Bell Tower Grey
wilmwolf80 said:

BobbyCox95 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

BobbyCox95
89_Grad said:

BobbyCox95 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

I don't disagree, they should've put more money in baseball over the years. They've been focused on football facilities spending, which up until recently was necessary just to be competitive. Fact is, they've had to pick and choose because of the money that was available, and they've chosen football. So, we can sit around and wonder how we got here, but you can't change the past. If we want baseball to have better facilities in the here and now, giving money directly to this project is the way to do it. We heard for years that there were folks ready to open their checkbooks as soon as Yow was gone, so it shouldn't be a problem to meet and exceed the current goals.

I think 10 million raised in just a couple months is pretty good. Especially considering everyone's financial investments are most likely tanking right now. Maybe to go even deeper I wonder how we got to this point even before 20 years ago. I know…..off topic, but how did we go from the mid 60's to 1998 with almost no facility investment other than the Weisiger Brown facility. If we already had a decent stadium 20-30 years ago then pouring 15 million now could make it top of the line. But instead, here we are putting lipstick on the pig. If I'm being honest, even with these enhancements, optically it's still one of the worst in the conference.
THis story's been told also. Willis Casey, like many in the generation who came up in the Great Depression (the one in the 1930s), was, I've been told, extremely debt averse, and evidently he spent all extra revenues from 1967 until the early 80s paying off the original Carter Stadium bonds (with an extremely low interest rate) off early so athletics department could be "debt free". But clearly in doing so, he dug us into a facilities hole it's taken decades to climb out of...It's an example of a cash flow/cash management philosophy that is naturally appealing at a very simplistic level ("live within your means"), but when you think about it in a more sophisticated way, it causes problems down the road...
Makes sense. I hadn't heard that. But man, did it put us behind. Look at our facilities in the late 90's (pre PNC). Had to be the worst in the conference if not all of P5.
78wilsonpack
89_Grad said:

BobbyCox95 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Yep, give me a 3% percent 30 year bond or mortgage and I'll never pay that sucker off. Make all the payments on time but over time with inflation typically at 2- 2.5% it's almost free money.

I'll take all the 3% long term loans you'll give me.
WolfQuacker
78wilsonpack said:

89_Grad said:

BobbyCox95 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Yep, give me a 3% percent 30 year bond or mortgage and I'll never pay that sucker off. Make all the payments on time but over time with inflation typically at 2- 2.5% it's almost free money.

Damn skip. Pure time value of money. That's why when we refinanced at sub 3% I quit paying extra on the monthly. Makes no sense.
78wilsonpack
WolfQuacker said:

78wilsonpack said:

89_Grad said:

BobbyCox95 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Damn skip. Pure time value of money. That's why when we refinanced at sub 3% I quit paying extra on the monthly. Makes no sense.
I did it one better - refinanced a while back 30 years and took cash out. I'm serious, I'll take all the 3% or below money you will lend me.

Dave Ramsey or whatever his name is a fool and gives, in my opinion, gives

bad advice.
BigLefty24
78wilsonpack said:

WolfQuacker said:

78wilsonpack said:

89_Grad said:

BobbyCox95 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

I did it one better - refinanced a while back 30 years and took cash out. I'm serious, I'll take all the 3% or below money you will lend me.

bad advice.

Dave Ramsey is a financial genius. You might be the first person I have ever heard say he gives bad advice, much less call him a fool.

He also has a net worth of $200M.
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*
*Please respect my decision*
*Recruitment still open 110%*

desiwolf
BigLefty24 said:

78wilsonpack said:

WolfQuacker said:

78wilsonpack said:

89_Grad said:

BobbyCox95 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

bad advice.

Dave Ramsey is a financial genius. You might be the first person I have ever heard say he gives bad advice, much less call him a fool.

But "Pay your mortgage off asap" was definitely not great advice especially in the previous low interest env
BigLefty24
desiwolf said:

BigLefty24 said:

78wilsonpack said:

WolfQuacker said:

78wilsonpack said:

89_Grad said:

BobbyCox95 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

bad advice.

But "Pay your mortgage off asap" was definitely not great advice especially in the previous low interest env

His message is a little more involved than that. It's geared to be simple to understand for the masses, and a big part of his message is risk. Paying off your mortgage early eliminates a ton of risk, adds an asset to your net worth that is geared to increase in value, and allows you to focus on dumping all of that money into mutual funds once the mortgage is paid off.

Yes, a few savvy folks could pull out their calculators, meet with a financial planner who will be incentivized for you to direct money towards him, and the two of you can probably figure out a way to pull money from a low interest mortgage loan and use it to your advantage. That sounds great until you're hit by a log truck, and you no longer can pay that mortgage, the house gets foreclosed, and your wife and kids are now living in a van down by the river with Chris Farley eating a steady diet of government cheese. All because you wanted to use your mortgage loan to buy Bitcoin.
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*

desiwolf
BigLefty24 said:

desiwolf said:

BigLefty24 said:

78wilsonpack said:

WolfQuacker said:

78wilsonpack said:

89_Grad said:

BobbyCox95 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

bad advice.

His message is a little more involved than that. It's geared to be simple to understand for the masses, and a big part of his message is risk. Paying off your mortgage early eliminates a ton of risk, adds an asset to your net worth that is geared to increase in value, and allows you to focus on dumping all of that money into mutual funds once the mortgage is paid off.

Yes, a few savvy folks could pull out their calculators, meet with a financial planner who will be incentivized for you to direct money towards him, and the two of you can probably figure out a way to pull money from a low interest mortgage loan and use it to your advantage. That sounds great until you're hit by a log truck, and you no longer can pay that mortgage, the house gets foreclosed, and your wife and kids are now living in a van down by the river with Chris Farley eating a steady diet of government cheese. All because you wanted to use your mortgage loan to buy Bitcoin.
Ah so getting hit by a truck after paying off the mortgage is OK?! How did I NOT think of that? So now the wife and kids can eat Govt cheese in a house... Thats great! Have you heard of the concept of insurance?!! And what happens if you paid off your mortgage and a housing crash ala 2008 happens?!

The last thing I am gonna say about the subject having all your money in one pot is never good, whether its house or bitcoin or stocks.
BigLefty24
Thanks for the advice Warren Buffett.
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*

Pakbackr
Wolfer79 said:

.@OU_Baseball announces an estimated $30M ballpark renovation with a strong emphasis on player development facilities. Great to see and certainly well deserved.
A "re-envisioned" approach is something NC State baseball facilities have needed and will continue to need to stay relevant. Make no mistake - we are falling farther and farther behind.

Pakbackr
Serious question here - wonder if NC State has ever had a conversation with the City of Raleigh about a coordinated multi-purpose stadium effort out near CF or on the Dix Park land...a premiere venue that could serve as the home to NC State baseball and also host a summer collegiate team and/or host major travel tournaments? It just seems like a missed opportunity.
Lagniappe
Pakbackr said:

Serious question here - wonder if NC State has ever had a conversation with the City of Raleigh about a coordinated multi-purpose stadium effort out near CF or on the Dix Park land...a premiere venue that could serve as the home to NC State baseball and also host a summer collegiate team and/or host major travel tournaments? It just seems like a missed opportunity.
Great idea, but do you think we ever want to get in another (RBC/PNC) situation where we have limited control?
89_Grad
Pakbackr said:

Didn't Cary win the race to build that with the Team USA training facility?

https://www.townofcary.org/recreation-enjoyment/facilities/usa-baseball-national-training-complex

The USA Baseball National Training Complex is a Town of Cary facility that was built in partnership between the Town and USA Baseball, which chose Cary, North Carolina as its new home in 2002. In January of 2003, the Town of Cary reached an agreement with Heery International to design the National Training Complex, officially moving the USA Baseball headquarters from Tuscon, AZ to Cary. Other Heery International projects include the 1996 Olympic Stadium, which later became Turner Field, home of Major League Baseball's Atlanta Braves.
FinsUp
Pakbackr said:

Yes - Durham Bulls met with NC State to build a facility at CF. After Atlanta got the 96 Olympics, Coach V thought NC State/Raleigh should have an Olympic style village at CF. The Bulls were looking to upgrade from the old DAP and they talked of a joint use facility. Frank Weedon showed me the blue prints years ago. Evidently there were a few meetings on the subject.

Pakbackr
FinsUp said:

Pakbackr said:

Yes - Durham Bulls met with NC State to build a facility at CF. After Atlanta got the 96 Olympics, Coach V thought NC State/Raleigh should have an Olympic style village at CF. The Bulls were looking to upgrade from the old DAP and they talked of a joint use facility. Frank Weedon showed me the blue prints years ago. Evidently there were a few meetings on the subject.

Wow, never heard this. Wonder what happened? Saying that, I am sure it was 'money' happened...and I am guessing that is why the Bulls are in BPAP. My question was really more focused on 'non-professional' collaborations knowing that the Bulls blocked the Mudcats from even being in Raleigh.
Packsd14me
Pakbackr said:

FinsUp said:

Pakbackr said:

Wow, never heard this. Wonder what happened? Saying that, I am sure it was 'money' happened...and I am guessing that is why the Bulls are in BPAP. My question was really more focused on 'non-professional' collaborations knowing that the Bulls blocked the Mudcats from even being in Raleigh.
Valvano was very forward thinking. He had an idea of a shared 35,000 seat basketball arena that could be used for shows concerts, etc to be built in the Research Triangle Park. Large home games could be played by State, Duke and UNC. I even heard him answer a question at a Wolfpack gathering about a shared baseball facility that he would build it "expandable" in case the Major Leagues want to look at Raleigh. This was in the late 80's I think, prior to all the "Personal Fouls" mess. In the late 90's, after his death, the Twins used the Triad to get a new stadium in Minnesota. Who knows what would have happened if the city and area leaders had listened to him.
89_Grad
I think the era of cities that are otherwise prosperous shelling out billions for speculative stadiums to attract professional sports franchises is nearly over, thankfully. Stan Kroenke built that $5 billion stadium in LA with his own money. The experience of St. Louis (Edward Jones Dome, or whatever that white elephant is called now) looms large these days...
Wolfer79
email i received today
$10.2 "committed"

phase 1 to begin this summer
new video board
LED stadium lights
relocation of bullpen
expansion of dugout
updated playing surface

link to donate/additional information
https://gopack.com/sports/2021/11/16/pack9stadium.aspx?utm_source=stadiumenhancement&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=bsb&utm_content=summerupdate&elq_cid=88250
DJncsu13
"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack"
Follow me on twitter: @d_johnson13/@PackUniforms
Pakbackr
Jeez, Avent will be retired before this 'lipstick' project is completed.
CLTWolf
Pakbackr said:

How much did you contribute?
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
wilmwolf
A pretty big chunk of what they are doing will be done this summer actually. That's quite a lot of stuff on that list.
I40Wolf
CLTWolf said:

Pakbackr said:

How much do I have to contribute to get a seat in the shade?
CLTWolf
I40Wolf said:

CLTWolf said:

Pakbackr said:

How much do I have to contribute to get a seat in the shade?
probably more than zero...
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
wilmwolf
I don't really blame folks for wanting shade over the seating, but the season runs from February to May, it's not like it's summer time on the east side of Carter Finley. That particular improvement would be very low on my priorities for a ball park. Making the seating more comfortable should be the number one fan amenity, followed by concessions and restrooms, after all of the player related stuff is done. IMO.
Pakbackr
CLTWolf said:

Pakbackr said:

You don't know me or what I have contributed over my life time. I have been a WPC member for 40 years with a rank in the low 700s. I am a mutli-sport season ticket holder with LTRs. Our lifetime giving to NC State is over 6 figures...and I am not rich by any means. We even have documented estate plan to create a named scholarship when I pass. So I kindly as not to question what I have given dude!
BobbyCox95
I like all of the enhancements minus the tailgate tents down the first base line, but why not just say we are going to try and raise 30 million and add a 4th phase that includes making it an actual stadium for the fan experience? We can do each phase as the money is raised and if it takes 3 years or 10 years to raise that extra 15 mill, at least it will be part of the plan. We've already raise 11 in the matter of a few months so I'm sure we can get there eventually. 30 mill thrown at Doak would make it something really special.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.