Improvements at Doak Field (04/18/2024 Doak 2.0) $20MM approved by BOG

191,766 Views | 1061 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by wilmwolf
wilmwolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'll throw in eleventy billion dollars.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
BigLefty24
wilmwolf80 said:

You get naming rights to the rosin bag. Hand stitched in Wolfpack red.
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*
*Please respect my decision*
*Recruitment still open 110%*

wilmwolf
BigLefty24 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

You get naming rights to the rosin bag. Hand stitched in Wolfpack red.

I'm surprisingly good with that.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
CLTWolf

That's my limit folks.
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
BigLefty24
For a cool $60M, we can be like Oklahoma State....

@BigLefty24

*100% committed*

TraCha4
I'll write the check. I'm just going to need you to not cash it for several Fridays
BigLefty24
TraCha4 said:

I'll write the check. I'm just going to need you to not cash it for several Fridays
"Please cash once you read my obituary...K, thanks"
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*

Lagniappe
89_Grad said:

The most disappointing thing about this stadium improvement issue is the lack of support from former players making mega money in MLB.

Trea Turner and Carlos Rodan could each make a leadership gift of at least $5 million each, probably just from the money they have in their walking around accounts.

Players like Knizner and several others could certainly make $ 1 million supporting gifts. Wonder how many have pledged?

If he's such a beloved coach, why aren't these folks giving back?
Several of Duke's mega-sports gifts ($20 million plus) have been from folks who were on their teams 30-40 years previously and have gone on to make enormous fortunes on Wall Street, sell a Tech company, etc. Have we identified any alums of the baseball program like that?
How do we know what has been committed to? Maybe big time donors are lined up or maybe not, but how would we know? Until there's some campaign or some fundraising drive who is going to commit to anything publicly.
Dr Wire
At RSC today, Avent had Doak "re-invention" presentation with him.

4 phases to existing Doak
covered training area in open area at right field
Move pitcher warm up area to beyond outfield fence
New seating
Improved seating for Avent's Army corner
Covered concessions
Another bathroom
Added gate down right field line
More

Also had CWS Participant trophy which they finally got last week. He commented he was sure they would get it after his words to NCAA during exit confusion.

Long live half time passes back into football games at CFS
metcalfmafia
What do you mean new seating? Improvements to current seats or additional seats? Both?
Dr Wire
Improvements to current seats was the wording

PS no word on how it would be funded
Long live half time passes back into football games at CFS
JCooke93
Ok
wolfpack1437
If we don't add covered seating, only covered concessions, this is a complete fail
Wolfer79
Dr Wire said:

New seating
Covered concessions
Another bathroom
More

Also had CWS Participant trophy which they finally got last week. He commented he was sure they would get it after his words to NCAA during exit confusion.

thank you
Pakbackr
Dr Wire said:

New seating
Covered concessions
Another bathroom
More

Since you saw the presentation (possibly with renderings) what was your impression? Will this come across as significant enhancements to the stadium or lipstick on a pig?
89_Grad
Pakbackr said:

Dr Wire said:

New seating
Covered concessions
Another bathroom
More

Since you saw the presentation (possibly with renderings) what was your impression? Will this come across as significant enhancements to the stadium or lipstick on a pig?
Missed this RSC meeting, but my uncle was there and his impression seemed to be more like lipstick on a pig...
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
BobbyCox95
89_Grad said:

Pakbackr said:

Dr Wire said:

New seating
Covered concessions
Another bathroom
More

Missed this RSC meeting, but my uncle was there and his impression seemed to be more like lipstick on a pig...
extremely disappointing....Consistently one of the best teams in the conference, top tier in the country and probably the 5th best college baseball facilities in our own state. I get the feeling Boo is hoping our interest in vastly improving our stadium will eventually subside and we will be fine with throwing a few hundred thousand at the stadium and calling it a day.
JCooke93
Working on the Batting Cage today
Lagniappe
JCooke93 said:

Working on the Batting Cage today
Pictures?
Wbtaylor
At the Clemson Football game Boo was coming down the stairs next to my seat to get on the field. I yelled at him, "Hey Boo, Let's get Elliot the stadium he deserves". His only response was "you got the money for it?" You could tell he was annoyed by my comment. Thought that was kind of telling.
JCooke93
They got the money if they let the people give them it
wolfpack1437
Wbtaylor said:

At the Clemson Football game Boo was coming down the stairs next to my seat to get on the field. I yelled at him, "Hey Boo, Let's get Elliot the stadium he deserves". His only response was "you got the money for it?" You could tell he was annoyed by my comment. Thought that was kind of telling.
You should have replied, "I must have missed your capital campaign announcement"
Wbtaylor
wolfpack1437 said:

Wbtaylor said:

You should have replied, "I must have missed your capital campaign announcement"

He was very *******'ish about it the way he said it and looked at me. If you are going to acknowledge me then stop for a second to meet me. I've got plenty of money to give. Didn't give me great feelings about him being a good fundraiser. Not sure he could have handled the situation any worse.
Gravis

HE couldn't of handled it worse?

Random fan yells at him as he is on his way to a presentation telling how to do his job. Could YOU be more rude & obnoxious?

If you're that concerned call him & schedule a meeting, I'm sure he will lay it out for you.

Im all for a new stadium, but we cannot afford it. As for the lipstick on a pig comment, again we just do not have the cash. We had only a fraction of the usual income last year. We had millions of extra expenses due to Covid (iirc 3 million just on testing) We deferred payments, refinanced loans, and cut every expense we could. You just can't make that kind of capital appear. Ramifications from Covid will last years. I'd be pissed if you treated me like that too.

People think they have the right to accost anyone, anywhere & whine about it when they don't get the response they think they deserve. Crazy ass world.
JCooke93
I agree but going back to the can't afford it they could get money for the baseball program if they want to but they keep turning people away and I am just being honest so don't get upset with me everyone from what I have been told about and also some of those people have told me in person that they have wanted to give money to the program and they told them no it had to go to all sports not baseball
Gravis

^ Understand, they are trying to get a capital campaign together. Not making excuses for them, but they have to get a plan together, get everything approved, get drawings, costs, availability of materials, labor, many things they have to do. Then once the plans/cost estimates are in place, they structure the giving levels & form a plan to raise the money. It has not been easy to forecast anything in this economic situation. I do not see how they can plan anything ahead right now. I know my business has put all our building plans on hold.

It just not that easy.
Wbtaylor
Then he should come out and explain things to our fan base so at least we know where our administration stands. I haven't heard a peep from him since he became AD other than the lip service he gave us after the CWS debacle. If we are so strapped for cash why didn't we capitalize on the success of last years run and do a fundraising campaign to raise capital? You always talk from your high and mighty chair like the rest of us should know everything you do. Maybe your the obnoxious one?
Gravis

^ If rebutting your post with details & facts is obnoxious, guess I'm guilty.

Also I don't do anything except volunteer my time & contribute financially , have never claimed I do.
metcalfmafia
Wait a second…so we've went from something being announced soon to we can't afford it?
mdreid
metcalfmafia said:

Wait a second…so we've went from something being announced soon to we can't afford it?
good communication solves everything, something Boo does not have.
89_Grad
If any of you keyboard jockeys have checked the price of building supplies and labor in the Triangle market, then you would know it would border on financial malpractice to start a building project now. I've been trying to renovate my house in Raleigh, and we've basically decided to postpone until the spring because of how overheated the construction market is right now.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
BobbyCox95
Gravis said:

^ Understand, they are trying to get a capital campaign together. Not making excuses for them, but they have to get a plan together, get everything approved, get drawings, costs, availability of materials, labor, many things they have to do. Then once the plans/cost estimates are in place, they structure the giving levels & form a plan to raise the money. It has not been easy to forecast anything in this economic situation. I do not see how they can plan anything ahead right now. I know my business has put all our building plans on hold.

It just not that easy.
A capital campaign is all I have asked for. And I'll gladly give towards it once announced. But just to respond "you got the money for it?" or "we don't have the money" is not good enough. You can't complain about not having any money for something that you haven't even tried to raise money for. That makes no sense.
johntom
Gravis said:

It just not that easy.
What do you think the biggest issue is as far as raising funds? I'm not specifically talking about baseball. Are we running out of top end donors like the Dail family and Mr. Murphy as they age out? Do we struggle with getting enough low to medium tier donors to add up to covering the day to day so the top tier donations can go towards facility improvements? Do we not get as much corporate support as some of our peer schools? As someone who knows very little it seems like a combination of everything.

Our baseball stadium needs improvement badly, but I'm wondering what kind of return we'd actually see on it. If we are struggling with money, does it make sense for us to pump tens of millions into the facilities when baseball generates either very little money in return or, in some years, even operates at a loss. Are we waiting to see if this recent CWS run increases attendance to see if improving the stadium significantly is worth it, or are we just waiting on the money situation to improve?
Gravis

^ All of the above. Last I heard the drawings were being finalized & cost projections were being worked out. Environmental studies had not been completed, but were in process. Nothing moves fast these days.

There will be a campaign, I sure hope it goes as well as some here feel. We have several projects that need attention.
pack2010
how are we so broke but it seems like there are stadium upgrades being announced weekly, including mid majors? it doesn't make sense. i know yow didn't care about baseball, but she really drowned us it seems (and Boo isn't helping with his lack of transparency). i just feel bad for Avent and the staff because they deserve 100x more than what they have.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.