Improvements at Doak Field (04/18/2024 Doak 2.0) $20MM approved by BOG

191,871 Views | 1061 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by wilmwolf
JCooke93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yes sir
BobbyCox95
Gravis said:

Probably not enough for some, but it clearly says in the release - details coming in mid November.
I would hope we would tackle all the improvements under one capital campaign. Figure out what we ultimately want out of Doak and then break it down into 3-4 stages. For example....We ultimately want to raise 20 million to improve the Doak, Once we raise 5 million, we will do x, y and z. When we raise another 5 million we will do this and finally when we get to 20 million we will finish it with all this. That way it's an ongoing thing that we can continue to raise money for. And yes, I'll gladly give to the cause.

My fear is that we are going to try to put lipstick on this pig again with these improvements and once they are paid for and completed, it'll be out of sight and out of mind for another 10 years.
Northernpack11
I don't think we will be able to raise the money. We couldn't raise the money for the first renovation and as a result the Wolfpack club had to take on debt. Maybe the AD ended up holding the debt. We still have significant debt for Reynolds, indoor practice facility and Vaughn towers. All adds up to close to 30M of which 15M is Reynolds. Again we just don't have the donors to pull this off. Same reason why we lag in facilities in the other sports.
JCooke93
Um I will have to disagree with you on that one we have them but they keep being turned away
JCooke93
And if they would have done donations after the world series a lot of people would have gave them money
Northernpack11
We never raised the full amount for the first renovation. So you're telling me Yow told people no donations to baseball. Well when they start the new campaign these people can finally give it sounds like. I guess we will find out soon.
wilmwolf
It has been 924 days since Debbie has been our AD, at what point to we get to stop using that as the scapegoat for funding baseball renovations? Were people turned away from donating to a project that didn't yet exist, or told their donation had to go into the general fund? I have no idea, but it's been said many times. I know not everyone liked her, and I know her relationship with Avent wasn't great. I just have a hard time believing that if I walked into Debbie's office with a $10 million dollar check, that there wouldn't have been an announcement that afternoon of the new wilmwolf80 baseball stadium project. Just doesn't make sense. First, second, and third rule of fundraising is to not turn away someone holding a check.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Pack87
Can't say I am a fan of putting a surcharge on each ticket (when you haven't disclosed the upgrades). Maybe I would agree to pay for certain things but not others. I do know I would have given a contribution after the CWS had there been a plan in place. Even if 250 people had given $1000 that would be 1/4 million you don't have to go out and fundraise for. I don't know the story with Yow and baseball donors, but I do know that I have been a season ticket holder for over 10 years and have not seen anything to contribute toward for baseball.
I40Wolf
wilmwolf80 said:

It has been 924 days since Debbie has been our AD, at what point to we get to stop using that as the scapegoat for funding baseball renovations? Were people turned away from donating to a project that didn't yet exist, or told their donation had to go into the general fund? I have no idea, but it's been said many times. I know not everyone liked her, and I know her relationship with Avent wasn't great. I just have a hard time believing that if I walked into Debbie's office with a $10 million dollar check, that there wouldn't have been an announcement that afternoon of the new wilmwolf80 baseball stadium project. Just doesn't make sense. First, second, and third rule of fundraising is to not turn away someone holding a check.
Agree
rbaker
Guys everyone is going to be HAPPY during the Scuse football game- wheels are moving
Wolfpacklife
rbaker said:

Guys everyone is going to be HAPPY during the Scuse football game- wheels are moving
JCooke93
I hope so
89_Grad
JCooke93 said:

Um I will have to disagree with you on that one we have them but they keep being turned away
sorry, I just don't believe this is true.
89_Grad
wilmwolf80 said:

Absolutely. As I think I said earlier on this thread, I'm guessing what actually happened (if this actually happened) is that the donor demanded something that Debbie didn't think was in the best interests of the University and the Athletics Program to accept. Project oversight or veto? Approval right for construction contract? Who knows? I do know folks with that kind of cash usually have the big ego to boot, and you have to decide how much you will put up with without setting a bad precedent.
tau06
wilmwolf80 said:

Yep. Find this incredibly unlikely. I have no clue if this is out there or has been discussed but I'm far from a big fish donator (give less than $5000 yearly) but I have a yearly lunch with someone from the WPC to go over my yearly donation and he mentioned that Boo has changed it this year that donors can now specifically earmark donations to certain programs. We both agreed this is an improvement. Who wants to be told where there money can go?
waxhaw
It's hilarious to watch people complain about not having stadium improvements and then ***** about season ticket price increases to pay for them. I guess you want someone else to pay?
Lagniappe
Any chance of a leak at to what the fundraising/building plans are before Saturday?
wolfpack1437
waxhaw said:

It's hilarious to watch people complain about not having stadium improvements and then ***** about season ticket price increases to pay for them. I guess you want someone else to pay?
We're an engineering school, people want to see an actual plan
waxhaw
I highly doubt that's the case. People complaining about a ticket price increase aren't waiting to see a plan……they are just cheap.
Pakbackr
waxhaw said:

I highly doubt that's the case. People complaining about a ticket price increase aren't waiting to see a plan……they are just cheap.
I can speak for no one but myself, but as one who is complaining about this $100/ticket add on, I can tell you I am not cheap! In fact, I have given the WPC just short of $100K in my lifetime for capital improvements and annual donations. I am not rich, by any stretch of the imagination. We have made great sacrifices to contribute what we have donated. I will give more, but I want to see a plan, a vision, anything! It is mid-November and still nothing!

That said, I DON"T like, nor appreciate the idea of tacking on extra money to ticket prices to fund facilities enhancements! Once this precedent is set, and people get used to paying this add on fee, it will then become standard practice...just like HOA fees never come down, neither do ticket prices.

I've heard from folks inside the Athletics program that this was not a popular decision and that an adequate amount of due diligence was not done. Not all who complain are cheap...some of us are concerned about the precedent!
JCooke93
3 more days
wofpac
Pakbackr said:

waxhaw said:

I can speak for no one but myself, but as one who is complaining about this $100/ticket add on, I can tell you I am not cheap! In fact, I have given the WPC just short of $100K in my lifetime for capital improvements and annual donations. I am not rich, by any stretch of the imagination. We have made great sacrifices to contribute what we have donated. I will give more, but I want to see a plan, a vision, anything! It is mid-November and still nothing!

That said, I DON"T like, nor appreciate the idea of tacking on extra money to ticket prices to fund facilities enhancements! Once this precedent is set, and people get used to paying this add on fee, it will then become standard practice...just like HOA fees never come down, neither do ticket prices.

I've heard from folks inside the Athletics program that this was not a popular decision and that an adequate amount of due diligence was not done. Not all who complain are cheap...some of us are concerned about the precedent!

I concur. We have a track record of supporting the university and the athletics department. We have done this by our choice. We MAY continue to do so. I will not renew my baseball season tickets owing to this tariff. We will continue with our 8 football, 4 men's basketball and 4 women's basketball LTR tickets until which time a similar tariff is levied. If you want to raise money, ask me, give options. Don't take it from me. Really leaves me with a sour taste.
Lagniappe
Rwofpac said:

Pakbackr said:

waxhaw said:

I concur. We have a track record of supporting the university and the athletics department. We have done this by our choice. We MAY continue to do so. I will not renew my baseball season tickets owing to this tariff. We will continue with our 8 football, 4 men's basketball and 4 women's basketball LTR tickets until which time a similar tariff is levied. If you want to raise money, ask me, give options. Don't take it from me. Really leaves me with a sour taste.
Wasn't there a tariff on LTR's for FB and BB tickets? I certainly paid one.
JCooke93
1 more day
Pack87
Lagniappe said:

Rwofpac said:

Pakbackr said:

waxhaw said:

Wasn't there a tariff on LTR's for FB and BB tickets? I certainly paid one.
That was a fee to have LTR's, and you knew that going in. If you have baseball LTR's this is an after the fact required donation. Also levied against everyone just buying season tickets (non-LTR). Just tacking on a fee with no plan, no added benefits, etc. That is not a good way to keep your fanbase happy.
JCooke93
Might change after tomorrow
Pakbackr
JCooke93 said:

Might change after tomorrow
What is this countdown? Are they planning to roll out planned Doak enhancements during the game today?
RunsWithWolves26
So did the countdown end in disappointment??
TraCha4
Improvements must have been unveiled at a small private gathering at halftime.
metcalfmafia
Mid November must mean late November.
Lagniappe
I heard after December 1 tonight by someone I trust. There is a university board meeting that day.
JCooke93
I heard the same thing yesterday
Wolfpacklife
So will there be an official announcement?
JCooke93
Who knows anymore
Wolfpokes92
metcalfmafia said:

Mid November must mean late November.

They meant November 2022.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.