Improvements at Doak Field (04/18/2024 Doak 2.0) $20MM approved by BOG

191,851 Views | 1061 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by wilmwolf
Daviewolf83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
rwwalsh said:

I'd be absolutely shocked if they didn't have all dirt basepath's. All of the stadium renderings have it; it's probably just a work in progress.
I really hope this is correct and they will be trimming the turf back to allow for dirt base paths on the 1st and 3rd base lines. I also hope they cut out the circle where home plate will be located, where the video currently shows turf.
Pakbackr
Appears there will be no dirt down the 1st and 3rd base paths. And the batters box will be turf. This is all going to take some getting used to!
Pakbackr
Here's another view
TraCha4
^ wow
wilmwolf
Definitely very interesting. I'm sure if it doesn't work well they can always change it.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
metcalfmafia
Is the whole field turf? I'm so confused.
engineercoach
That is incredibly disappointing.
Pakbackr
metcalfmafia said:

Is the whole field turf? I'm so confused.

No, the infield and outfield are grass. I've never seen turf and grass touch like this. Maybe it does somewhere, but I've never seen it.
FlockaWolf
That's a rough look for sure.

Is the warning track going to be turf too then?
Riddickulous
I just wish the home plate / batters box area was dirt. Turf down the lines is meh, but I know I always had a routine of swiping some dirt around with my feet, picking a little bit up and rubbing it in my hands etc etc, and I know a lot of players do similar things. Example A - Devonte Brown always made a cross in the dirt with the handle of his bat before stepping in. I'll miss that stuff.
DJncsu13
Not having a natural dirt batters box and running lanes sucks and is extremely disappointing. It honestly looks pretty stupid. It would've looked a ton better to only have the turf in the foul areas with a clean break for the infield.
"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack"
Follow me on twitter: @d_johnson13/@PackUniforms
metcalfmafia
Not trying to be an ******* here, but the tone difference between the turf and natural grass is so stupid looking. Someone tell me there is a functional reason for it. Just make the whole thing turf then.

rwwalsh
rwwalsh said:

I'd be absolutely shocked if they didn't have all dirt basepath's. All of the stadium renderings have it; it's probably just a work in progress.
Welp, this officially sucks.
DJncsu13
metcalfmafia said:

Not trying to be an ******* here, but the tone difference between the turf and natural grass is so stupid looking. Someone tell me there is a functional reason for it. Just make the whole thing turf then.

It looks like trash. Absolutely no excuse. There could've been clean lines with the dirt base paths to separate the turf and grass. To add to it, the turf extends 12" or so into the playing field into fair territory. I can't wait for a ball to hit right on that line and take a funny hop that costs us a game. Absolutely stupid decision by someone.
"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack"
Wolfpokes92
Agree 100%. Seems like there was a very logical alternative to what was actually done.
DJncsu13
So apparently Doak was designed like Mississippi State's. I'm really hoping once everything gets finished it looks remotely close to this.
wilmwolf
Two things for me, one is that the only view of the turf I've seen is from behind home plate. The color may look different from another angle based on the grain manufactured into the turf. Once it gets used some that grain probably isn't as noticable, and it will also fade over time. Also, I feel like the outfield grass will be greener, remember that sod was just installed. Either way, it's all supposed to be a performance upgrade over what was there, so I don't have a strong reaction to it either way.
Jtilley
As a turfgrass graduate and someone that used to work in baseball I absolutely hate it.

From a maintenance standpoint majority of your work is on the dirt/clay vs the actual grass. So making home plate artificial you remove having to maintain clay moisture/fix batters boxes, keep it level and taking tarp on and off when it wants to be used (BP, infield).

Basically the coaches and players can go out and do whatever they want besides use the game mound without having to call on the grounds crew to fix something or take tarps off.

I'm really interested in how balls play down the lines (Bunts, slow rollers) with the artificial coming over into fair.

Still looks like sh^t though.

jwpack
They sodded 419 Bermuda and will oversee with winter rye. So the Bermuda is dormant until may so the color of the rye is what you will get this season & probably every season they will oversee with rye. If you didn't overseed the color of the dormant Bermuda would give you a tan look.
Brown is Red
State recently developed their own zoysia cultivar, Lobo zoysia. It's supposedly fast to establish and is very low maintenance. Zoysia typically holds its color later and greens up ealier than Bermuda. Zoysia also looks better IMO. Was hoping to see some of that on our athletic fields.
Pakbackr
Visually, I think I would have liked it better if they had continued the brown turf down the base lines. It would have looked more traditional.
torqqiffy96
All this money for the renovation and this is what we get?
FlockaWolf
torqqiffy96 said:

Some of those that gave millions has got to be pissed
78wilsonpack
wilmwolf80 said:

Two things for me, one is that the only view of the turf I've seen is from behind home plate. The color may look different from another angle based on the grain manufactured into the turf. Once it gets used some that grain probably isn't as noticable, and it will also fade over time. Also, I feel like the outfield grass will be greener, remember that sod was just installed. Either way, it's all supposed to be a performance upgrade over what was there, so I don't have a strong reaction to it either way.
Always has to be an adult in the room. Don't bother this group with patience
Bigwuf
Emulating Miss State's field is not necessarily a bad thing. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and see how it plays out. I am primarily interested in how the Pack players feel about it, but assume that MSU's use of the design is a pretty good indication that it is OK.
Pakbackr
Hard to complain much when you look around at the rest of MSU's stadium...it looks like a small major league park!
DJncsu13
Pakbackr said:

Hard to complain much when you look around at the rest of MSU's stadium...it looks like a small major league park!
Just our field design (turf/grass) is emulating MSU. The stadium design doesn't. Basically take off their 2nd level /club levels and only have the few rows behind the dugout, and that's what Doak will look like.
PackCPA
torqqiffy96 said:

I hope they have all the money they need for whatever it is they're trying to do. Nothing about this is going to spur anyone to contribute more. Very disappointing.
metcalfmafia
If the grass ends up matching the dark green turf or vice versa then all is well. It's just very jarring as is and I'm curious what it will look like on opening day.
pack2010
lots of hot takes right now, IMO.

does the turf/grass look great right now? not really- it looks very two toned and tacky. IF that is the final product, then i think we can have some gripes. however, i'll give them the benefit of the doubt, because if it looks like MSUs field, then i think it will all be just fine and enjoy it
Riddickulous
I don't necessarily love it, but the grass is going to green up as we get closer to the season and it will look much better. Everyone needs to relax.

Money is an afterthought at MSU, and this is what they went with. I'm sure there are reasons for it that far outweigh not liking the aesthetics in January.
SeaWolf

Here is a closer look at MSU's field with the turf base path to first for those that are interested.

For all the folks up in arms about the base paths and color contrast issues, wilmwolf80 thoughtfully addressed the color issue (it will likely resolve itself once the rye dies off and the Bermuda greens up). As far as the base paths, here are a couple things to consider. First, Avent was on board with this design or it would not have happened. He is too smart to install something that would be detrimental to his team performance or tick off the big money donors, so it is unlikely that either is an issue. Second, logic would lead one to assume the new design is less labor intensive, athletic resources are finite so you're not going to select something more labor intensive. Less intensive means those resources can now be used elsewhere to maintain or improve the stadium. I doubt I have changed any minds, but hopefully given a few folks something to consider.

Cannot wait to see the Doak in person on Feb 17th!
Pack31
wilmwolf80 said:

Yep the turf is Bermuda, overseeded with Rye grass currently. The Rye is what you're seeing. The Bermuda come mid May will be darker. Of course we will be 3/4 thru the season by then lol

I hate the turf batters box. Also, I'm assuming the same cleats will work the same in synthetic turf, versus dirt, and real turf? They gone be grabbing wrist, shin protectors when batters get to 1st, and a change of cleats
wilmwolf
Do the guys at MSU have to change cleats at first base? It's the same configuration.
FlockaWolf
Even the MSU photos shown isn't great. Very different color greens for the grass and turf.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.