Improvements at Doak Field (04/18/2024 Doak 2.0) $20MM approved by BOG

191,839 Views | 1061 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by wilmwolf
BobbyCox95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wilmwolf80 said:

BobbyCox95 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

There is charm in being smaller…..

Suuuuuure. That's what I tell myself as well.

Bottom line is, our park may seem charming to us but the fact is it's a rinky dink Jv stadium compared to the schools we are going up against. The pitching lab, playing surface, etc are great but we need to make the rest of the stadium to look like we are serious about baseball. 2500 capacity with zero fan amenities is a joke for an ACC school with 2 CWS appearances in the last 10 years
Ha, dick jokes, funny. Phase three of the renovations being discussed in this thread are fan amenities, so you just have to give money and have patience, because there will be upgrades there as well.

It's definitely a step in the right direction but I (and many others) don't think it's enough. And I don't think the money is as big of a hindrance as people make it seem. We love to call ourselves cheap but once this 15 million renovation was announced the majority of the funds were committed within a couple of months.

The bigger issue is the lack of vision within the department. People aren't going to give when they don't know what the money is going to. See "goal line drive" in the early 2000's. Between the Murphy Center, to Vaughn Towers to Close-King indoor…..State fans responded in a massive way. That's over 100 million committed to football in less than 20 years. We need another campaign like that for all sports. Give a vision, an outline, a plan and a dollar amount needed and let's see how much we can raise. I get sick and tired of "put your money where you mouth is" and "State fans are the cheapest" nonsense. Give us a campaign and project to give towards and see what happens.
Nairo
100% to all of this. The lack of any vision or plan out of the athletics department is astonishing, given what is happening everywhere else. Covid is over, it's time to **** or get off the pot.

BobbyCox95 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

BobbyCox95 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

There is charm in being smaller…..

Suuuuuure. That's what I tell myself as well.

Bottom line is, our park may seem charming to us but the fact is it's a rinky dink Jv stadium compared to the schools we are going up against. The pitching lab, playing surface, etc are great but we need to make the rest of the stadium to look like we are serious about baseball. 2500 capacity with zero fan amenities is a joke for an ACC school with 2 CWS appearances in the last 10 years
Ha, dick jokes, funny. Phase three of the renovations being discussed in this thread are fan amenities, so you just have to give money and have patience, because there will be upgrades there as well.

It's definitely a step in the right direction but I (and many others) don't think it's enough. And I don't think the money is as big of a hindrance as people make it seem. We love to call ourselves cheap but once this 15 million renovation was announced the majority of the funds were committed within a couple of months.

The bigger issue is the lack of vision within the department. People aren't going to give when they don't know what the money is going to. See "goal line drive" in the early 2000's. Between the Murphy Center, to Vaughn Towers to Close-King indoor…..State fans responded in a massive way. That's over 100 million committed to football in less than 20 years. We need another campaign like that for all sports. Give a vision, an outline, a plan and a dollar amount needed and let's see how much we can raise. I get sick and tired of "put your money where you mouth is" and "State fans are the cheapest" nonsense. Give us a campaign and project to give towards and see what happens.
Pakbackr
Not many people know this, but last year the state appropriated $16M to NC State to build a state-of-the-art eSports facility on campus...$12M to build a permanent facility which will be in located in the renovated Mann Hall and $4M for a mobile solution. The effort will not only support competitive eSports, but will also feature a multi-disciplinary education and research component. In fact, it is likely to be the education and research-based grants that will yield the ongoing funding that could make the effort financially sustainable going forward.

I suppose everyone wants a piece of a multi-$B industry, but I understand how some might question a $16M investment by the state in an effort that on the surface is just kids playing games (or watching other kids play games). The real differentiator, IMHO, is what can be learned from the educational and research side of the equation.

All that to say: a) smart strategy to include education and research in the 'up front' design of State's eSports offerings...and b) why in the world do we not utilize all the educational and research capabilities of our University to help make our athletic teams the best they can possibly be? We have incredible resources in biomedical engineering, mechanical engineering, computer science, statistics, analytics, artificial intelligence and so much more at NC State. Heck, we have access to quantum computing! I just wonder if any effort by Boo and his staff has ever gone into exploring mutually aligned research efforts with faculty?

I40Wolf
Pakbackr said:

Not many people know this, but last year the state appropriated $16M to NC State to build a state-of-the-art eSports facility on campus...$12M to build a permanent facility which will be in located in the renovated Mann Hall and $4M for a mobile solution. The effort will not only support competitive eSports, but will also feature a multi-disciplinary education and research component. In fact, it is likely to be the education and research-based grants that will yield the ongoing funding that could make the effort financially sustainable going forward.

I suppose everyone wants a piece of a multi-$B industry, but I understand how some might question a $16M investment by the state in an effort that on the surface is just kids playing games (or watching other kids play games). The real differentiator, IMHO, is what can be learned from the educational and research side of the equation.

All that to say: a) smart strategy to include education and research in the 'up front' design of State's eSports offerings...and b) why in the world do we not utilize all the educational and research capabilities of our University to help make our athletic teams the best they can possibly be? We have incredible resources in biomedical engineering, mechanical engineering, computer science, statistics, analytics, artificial intelligence and so much more at NC State. Heck, we have access to quantum computing! I just wonder if any effort by Boo and his staff has ever gone into exploring mutually aligned research efforts with faculty?

Dr Griggs is a statistician for the basketball program. Is that not enough?
Wolfer79
Nairo
Wake Tech has a better stadium than us. Let that settle in.

wilmwolf
Eh. It's a shared park that hosts multiple sports from multiple teams. Not really applicable. And why is it nicer? Because it's newer? Because there is covering over the bleachers. Because it's all turf?
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Pakbackr
wilmwolf80 said:

Eh. It's a shared park that hosts multiple sports from multiple teams. Not really applicable. And why is it nicer? Because it's newer? Because there is covering over the bleachers. Because it's all turf?
Ting is a great park from the fan's perspective. The seating area capacity is slightly less than Doak, but the stands extend down to the field level and yes, the cover is a big deal! It provides some much needed shade on sunny days and and the big fans move the air on warm nights. Given the enhancements that are being made already to Doak, just build a huge cover like this and extend the seated sections down to field level and I think we'd have a pretty nice ballpark!
wilmwolf
It has been said multiple times that they are unable to put a cover on the existing seats from an engineering/construction perspective. Foundations would have to be extended into areas under the seats that are used for other purposes.
Pack87
wilmwolf80 said:

It has been said multiple times that they are unable to put a cover on the existing seats from an engineering/construction perspective. Foundations would have to be extended into areas under the seats that are used for other purposes.
I have heard this as well, to me that is the main reason they should have waited to build another stadium and not spent too much trying to modernize Doak. Even if you kept the location they should have gone for a teardown rebuild and not be limited by the current layout. I know things take money, but there was pretty good excitement for the minor redo that took place I think something that looked more like the newer stadiums schools are building would have generated the support. Especially with the mandatory donations by season ticket holders.
Pakbackr
wilmwolf80 said:

We have one of the top engineering and design programs in the world - I refuse to believe there is not a possible solution!
wilmwolf
Pakbackr said:

wilmwolf80 said:

We have one of the top engineering and design programs in the world - I refuse to believe there is not a possible solution!
That's the exact reason I believe it can't be done, because those people have said it's not possible. I also do not believe that covered seating is a necessity at a college baseball park, and I'm not going to change my mind on that. Great, the Holly Springs park has cover over the bleachers, that doesn't make me envious of that park.
Pakbackr
wilmwolf80 said:

Pakbackr said:

wilmwolf80 said:

That's the exact reason I believe it can't be done, because those people have said it's not possible. I also do not believe that covered seating is a necessity at a college baseball park, and I'm not going to change my mind on that. Great, the Holly Springs park has cover over the bleachers, that doesn't make me envious of that park.
As someone who has had numerous pre-cancerous moles removed and who has been to minimize sun exposure, I respectfully disagree that covered seating is necessary at a college park. When I had season tickets, the lack of covered seating is the primary reason I sold or gave away all the afternoon game tickets. To each his own.
wilmwolf
Sorry to hear about that. I know many people affected by skin cancer. Unfortunately, they have to make the decision to not be in the sun, but I don't think that is reason enough to tear down a baseball park to install covered seats. 65,000 people sit in C-F during the heaviest summer sun, most with no covering. Since we've established a covering isn't feasible at Doak, at least not behind home plate, it's pointless to keep talking about it.
Wolfer79

UT is set to spend almost $100 million on Lindsey Nelson Stadium. An astounding number that represents a huge commitment to baseball. Well done @Vol_Sports

The culture change for @Vol_Baseball is truly mind blowing in a good way. #Vols are expected to spend almost $100M renovating Lindsey Nelson Stadium and will be adding 2K+ more seats.
I40Wolf
Pakbackr said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Have we hired our own engineering and design program to evaluate this?
BobbyCox95
I40Wolf said:

Pakbackr said:

wilmwolf80 said:

I find it hard to believe it's just impossible. I was hoping the existing structure could someday support an upper level with a few sections.
Beachbum3
When does the next phase begin ?
johntom
BobbyCox95 said:

I40Wolf said:

Pakbackr said:

wilmwolf80 said:

I find it hard to believe it's just impossible. I was hoping the existing structure could someday support an upper level with a few sections.
The Romans added shades to the Colosseum on hot days 2,000 years ago. We can't use some of the best engineers in the world to figure out how to build a lean to?

I'm only slightly kidding on this... It's just hard to believe adding a bit of shade is that difficult. Of course I got weeded out of engineering at State at Dynamics, so my understanding of physics probably isn't one to rely on.
wilmwolf
I'm sure it's possible. Anything is possible. You could relocate the Biltmore to the beach if you have the desire and resources. I choose to believe the administration when they say they've evaluated it and that it's not feasible, because we are a top notch engineering, design, and architectural school, but some people always assume that we are incompetent, so it is what it is. The area underneath the seats contains facilities, and bringing foundations through those areas to support covers isn't feasible, according to the people in the know, so that's what I go with. If someone wants to donate another 15 million, I'm sure it's a problem they could find a solution for.
I40Wolf
wilmwolf80 said:

I'm sure it's possible. Anything is possible. You could relocate the Biltmore to the beach if you have the desire and resources. I choose to believe the administration when they say they've evaluated it and that it's not feasible, because we are a top notch engineering, design, and architectural school, but some people always assume that we are incompetent, so it is what it is. The area underneath the seats contains facilities, and bringing foundations through those areas to support covers isn't feasible, according to the people in the know, so that's what I go with. If someone wants to donate another 15 million, I'm sure it's a problem they could find a solution for.
I asked my question because I have seen throughout the years the responses that seem to assume we use our engineering department or our turf management department, etc. to evaluate, design, consult with campus projects.

So my question was simply, do we?

The company I work for has an engineering department with some damn good engineers, some are NCSU grads. But their focus is providing engineering support to non-company customers. I use contract engineering support because they can be more responsive, cheaper and I don't have to go through as much internal beuracratic bs when I use them.

What does it take to contract the NCSU Engineering Department to design a one of our sports facility?
ncsuchris
wilmwolf80 said:

here's your sign
wilmwolf
ncsuchris said:

wilmwolf80 said:

here's your sign

Ahh, you're calling me stupid. Awesome! Thanks!
ncsuchris
wilmwolf80 said:

ncsuchris said:

wilmwolf80 said:

here's your sign

Ahh, you're calling me stupid. Awesome! Thanks!
Choosing to believe any "administration" may not be the best
BobbyCox95
wilmwolf80 said:

I agree with you. I interpret, "it can't be done" to mean "we don't want to spend the kind of money it would take to make it happen". Fowler and his crew wanted to upgrade Doak and seem to have taken the cheap way out instead of actually fundraising to get what we needed. And now we are paying the price by being painfully behind everyone else in facilities.
Pakbackr
BobbyCox95 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

I agree with you. I interpret, "it can't be done" to mean "we don't want to spend the kind of money it would take to make it happen". Fowler and his crew wanted to upgrade Doak and seem to have taken the cheap way out instead of actually fundraising to get what we needed. And now we are paying the price by being painfully behind everyone else in facilities.
And apparently 'accepting' the limitations of the stadium and the site to forever hold this program back!
wilmwolf
I don't think the limitations of the stadium are holding the program back. At least not the part of the stadium we can see and have been discussing recently. The player amenities are where we are very behind, and hopefully that won't be the case once phase two is completed. I think we are doing the best we can, and given that the project has been outlined, money has been raised, and phase one is complete, it seems silly to keep talking about what we could've or should've done. But, I am stupid, so what do I know?
matracey
wilmwolf80 said:

I don't think the limitations of the stadium are holding the program back. At least not the part of the stadium we can see and have been discussing recently. The player amenities are where we are very behind, and hopefully that won't be the case once phase two is completed. I think we are doing the best we can, and given that the project has been outlined, money has been raised, and phase one is complete, it seems silly to keep talking about what we could've or should've done. But, I am stupid, so what do I know?
Don't worry. You're not the only one who is stupid. It's also the chancellor, administration, Boo, Avent and the players who don't take enough pitches that are stupid.
Wolfer79
metcalfmafia
Wolfer79 said:

Only show in town. Imagine the fan support and facilities we would have if we were the only Power 5 program in the state.
griff17matt
metcalfmafia said:

Wolfer79 said:

Only show in town. Imagine the fan support and facilities we would have if we were the only Power 5 program in the state.
I mean, I know Vandy ain't much to look at generally speaking but they're fairly decent at baseball.
metcalfmafia
griff17matt said:

metcalfmafia said:

Wolfer79 said:

I mean, I know Vandy ain't much to look at generally speaking but they're fairly decent at baseball.

Yes I forgot Vandy but my main point still stands. The only people who root for Vandy went there.
Pack31
Wolfer79 said:

UT is set to spend almost $100 million on Lindsey Nelson Stadium. An astounding number that represents a huge commitment to baseball. Well done @Vol_Sports

The culture change for @Vol_Baseball is truly mind blowing in a good way. #Vols are expected to spend almost $100M renovating Lindsey Nelson Stadium and will be adding 2K+ more seats.

And they landed Peebles dammit
Pack31
wilmwolf80 said:

100% here(not the stupid part lmao). Doak doesn't look that bad imo. We were WAY behind in internal upgrades. See wakes pitching lab payoff

Also, we are playing catch up in FB and Basketball with NIL, so I doubt we see a dramatic investment to cover the baseball Stadium, unless a wealthy alum decides to fully fund it. Getting the things we don't see done will go a long ways to getting better players. It amazes how well Avent has done here with the limitations
BobbyCox95
Wolfer79 said:

looks just like Doak. What's the big deal?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.