Improvements at Doak Field (04/18/2024 Doak 2.0) $20MM approved by BOG

191,661 Views | 1061 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by wilmwolf
Colonel Armstrong
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DJncsu13
gopack1979 said:

If you want more than this it's very simple, give more $. We have to start somewhere…. Believe it or not your fan experience matters very little compared to player amenities. No need to complain about what's not in the mock up, it is a mock up and end result will likely be very different.

Did you actually read what I wrote? I literally said "Glad the player enhancements are there. That's most important".

Then went on to say "I wish…." There was not a single complaint in there.
"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack"
Follow me on twitter: @d_johnson13/@PackUniforms
gopack1979
Wasn't replying to you DJ, simply preparing for the haters to come out. We're cool...
Pakbackr
I have tremendous respect for Jeff Gravely, but I find it hard to believe this rendering made him go 'Wow!" Seriously, $15M gets you no covered seating in the main stands (brutal for Sunday games) and tailgate tents. Hope the player enhancements are off the chart because there is little in here to get excited for as a fan.
DJncsu13
gopack1979 said:

Wasn't replying to you DJ, simply preparing for the haters to come out. We're cool...
My mistake. Your post fell right behind what I had posted, so I got defensive. We're good.
"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack"
Follow me on twitter: @d_johnson13/@PackUniforms
Colonel Armstrong
Pakbackr said:

I have tremendous respect for Jeff Gravely, but I find it hard to believe this rendering made him go 'Wow!" Seriously, $15M gets you no covered seating in the main stands (brutal for Sunday games) and tailgate tents. Hope the player enhancements are off the chart because there is little in here to get excited for as a fan.

I'm thinking sitting by the bar under the shade would be a nice spot
gopack1979
Pakbackr said:

It's been said many times that the shade given the direction the ballpark faces would have little impact, not to mention there's only a month or so when we have significantly hot weather anyway. So if you just want it because it looks cool then that's really the only purpose. Invest the $ where you'll get the biggest return. We're not freakin turning Doak around...
metcalfmafia
gopack1979 said:

Pakbackr said:

It's been said many times that the shade given the direction the ballpark faces would have little impact, not to mention there's only a month or so when we have significantly hot weather anyway. So if you just want it because it looks cool then that's really the only purpose. Invest the $ where you'll get the biggest return. We're not freakin turning Doak around...

Also my wife would be pissed because she uses baseball games as her "tanning time"
Pakbackr
gopack1979 said:

Pakbackr said:

There is a free Sun Cal site (https://www.suncalc.org/#/35.7876,-78.6798,15/2022.05.08/18:16/1/1) that allows you to see exactly where the sun will be on any date and time for any location of your choice. I picked Sunday May 8th for example and at noon it is almost directly above the stadium. You don't need to turn the stadium around to benefit from some freakin shade cover!
desiwolf
Donated - '2021 Baseball Stadium - Capital Fund'
wolfpack1437
gopack1979 said:

Pakbackr said:

So if you just want it because it looks cool then that's really the only purpose.
A big reason is wet weather and delays. Two things that go hand in hand with baseball
Brigand
Do they have any seed money already?...i.e..if it is $15M, do they have to raise all of that from ground zero?
Glasswolf
Brigand said:

Do they have any seed money already?...i.e..if it is $15M, do they have to raise all of that from ground zero?

They have completed a silent phase of funding yes
JCooke93
You can donate by getting season tickets if they are still available or by donating on the Website
Lagniappe
JCooke93 said:

You can donate by getting season tickets if they are still available or by donating on the Website
Which website? Is there a place to donate to baseball only?
I40Wolf
NCSU990 said:

DJncsu13 said:

Looks good. Glad the player enhancements are in there. That's most important. Wish there was some covered seating for the main stands, or even an upper deck seating added.

Apparently covered seating because of the direction of the stadium, would do no good for blocking the sun. Thus, the cost of it did not seem worth it (at least for these first three phases anyhow).
There were plenty times where i went into the t-shirt tent just to escape the sun which was directly over head or a little behind.
JCooke93
On GoPack.com
birdiePack
Serious question. Is it so hot in April and the beginning of May that sitting in the sun is such a miserable experience? Seems reasonable to me that covered seating would be considered a luxury and fall toward the back end of the priority list.
Glasswolf
birdiePack said:

Serious question. Is it so hot in April and the beginning of May that sitting in the sun is such a miserable experience? Seems reasonable to me that covered seating would be considered a luxury and fall toward the back end of the priority list.

To me it's not and I'm 62. Same with late August early September football games. Take it easy and hydrate
Pakbackr
birdiePack said:

Sitting in direct sun (regardless of the amount of sunscreen you apply or water you drink) is simply not an option for some of us who have had melanoma and pre-cancerous moles removed. It is not comfortable or heathy for anyone. It is the reason that I pretty much never go to Sunday baseball games with noon starts anymore. It is the same reason, I sell my football tickets to all games with noon starts in September now. I am 61, and sure, this is more of an issue for the older crowd...but it is becoming more and more an issue for the younger crowd, without their knowledge.

IMHO, this 3 phase plan that includes no cover for the main seating and concourse areas is an EPIC FAIL!
Lagniappe
Pakbackr said:

birdiePack said:

Sitting in direct sun (regardless of the amount of sunscreen you apply or water you drink) is simply not an option for some of us who have had melanoma and pre-cancerous moles removed. It is not comfortable or heathy for anyone. It is the reason that I pretty much never go to Sunday baseball games with noon starts anymore. It is the same reason, I sell my football tickets to all games with noon starts in September now. I am 61, and sure, this is more of an issue for the older crowd...but it is becoming more and more an issue for the younger crowd, without their knowledge.

IMHO, this 3 phase plan that includes no cover for the main seating and concourse areas is an EPIC FAIL!
ANYTHING is possible if you raise more $$$$.
Bell Tower Grey
"for some of us who have had melanoma and pre-cancerous moles removed."

I'm 62 and also fall into this category. However, I follow my Dr.'s advice and wear long sleeved t-shirts and a wide brimmed hat, along with sunscreen, when I am outside, regardless of what I am doing.

Yes, while a cover over some, if not all, of the seating would be a nice luxury, it's not a deal breaker for me as to attending either baseball or football games. Or if I'm playing golf or fishing. I follow the advice I've been given without concern.

"EPIC Fail" is quite a reach.
Tootie4Pack
FYI…..announced today.
89_Grad
Doak Field at Dail Park in the North State Bank baseball complex? We're running out of things to give naming rights for...

BTW, are the Dails still alive and kicking? we should be hitting them up for another large gift.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
Glasswolf
89_Grad said:

Doak Field at Dail Park in the North State Bank baseball complex? We're running out of things to give naming rights for...

BTW, are the Dails still alive and kicking? we should be hitting them up for another large gift.
Curtis passed away many years ago. His wife Jackie is still with us
Glasswolf
89_Grad said:

The Dails', Vaughans, Kings, Close and Murphy families are about tapped out. Time for some new blood. Derick Close is the youngest of that group and he graduated in 82 so that puts him at least 62. Mr. King in class of 62
BobbyCox95
Glasswolf said:

89_Grad said:

The Dails', Vaughans, Kings, Close and Murphy families are about tapped out. Time for some new blood. Derick Close is the youngest of that group and he graduated in 82 so that puts him at least 62. Mr. King in class of 62
One alum has the possibility to out give all of them put together and would never miss it. I wish I could donate that kindof money.
Tootie4Pack
Glasswolf said:

89_Grad said:

Curtis passed away many years ago. His wife Jackie is still with us

Mrs Dail still lives in Garner and gets out for a early morning walk most days. Have known her and knew him for many years. Nice folks , and Mr Dail was a very sharp business man.
PackCPA
Is anyone able to elaborate on why covered seating isn't needed due to the direction of the stadium? It's not at the top of my list but I'm not following that. If the reasoning is the amount of February/March/early April and evening games as a percentage of the schedule, that makes more sense. The stadium facing southeast should still result in at least half the stadium receiving a good amount of sun between noon and ~5p unless I'm missing something. The locker room/baseball ops offices down first base aren't tall enough to provide much shade until late.

Also, does anyone have insight into why Lee Field seems to be off limits? My urban planner hat wants to consolidate the parking behind home/down third base (while still leaving an access lane to the motor pool via Thurman) and expand prime seating there, but seeing as that doesn't appear to be under consideration, one would think we could build quite the berm/porch between the left field foul pole and left-center.
89_Grad
PackCPA said:

Is anyone able to elaborate on why covered seating isn't needed due to the direction of the stadium? It's not at the top of my list but I'm not following that. If the reasoning is the amount of February/March/early April and evening games as a percentage of the schedule, that makes more sense. The stadium facing southeast should still result in at least half the stadium receiving a good amount of sun between noon and ~5p unless I'm missing something. The locker room/baseball ops offices down first base aren't tall enough to provide much shade until late.

Also, does anyone have insight into why Lee Field seems to be off limits? My urban planner hat wants to consolidate the parking behind home/down third base (while still leaving an access lane to the motor pool via Thurman) and expand prime seating there, but seeing as that doesn't appear to be under consideration, one would think we could build quite the berm/porch between the left field foul pole and left-center.
I sit along the 3rd base line in Section 9. The sun sets to my right behind the clubhouse area, and as y'all know, all the permanent seating at Doak is below the concourse level. So unless whatever cover is built includes a wall between the cover structure all the way down to the roof of the clubhouse, you will still be sitting in sunshine in late afternoon as the sun sets below the level of the roof (if that makes sense).

The real reason it wasn't all that high on priority is that, at every home game up until now, it has been so chilly that you would want to sit in the sun. The late April/May games are all at night or late afternoon (so sun not an issue, or because in late afternoon a cover doesn't block the setting sun beyond 1st base line) EXCEPT for the Sunday games the last five or six weeks of the season. So is it worth spending all that money for maybe 4 or 5 Sunday games in hot weather, plus whatever you host in postseason?
DealWolf
Tootie4Pack said:

FYI…..announced today.

Excellent! Need more of these for sure. Good work North State Bank.
Bigwuf
Went on the North State website to see what is available to change my bank!
Wolfpack98x2
I talked with John Portland a while back about the covered seating and he said the main reason it is not being considered now is that the supporting columns would have to go down into the rooms underneath the stands/concourse area. And they didn't want to do that.
89_Grad
Wolfpack98x2 said:

I talked with John Portland a while back about the covered seating and he said the main reason it is not being considered now is that the supporting columns would have to go down into the rooms underneath the stands/concourse area. And they didn't want to do that.
so if you want to blame someone, blame Lee Fowler (Foulup), who did the 2003 renovation on the cheap and, evidently, completely failed to anticipate further additional expansions/additions to the stadium...
Glasswolf
BobbyCox95 said:

Glasswolf said:

89_Grad said:

One alum has the possibility to out give all of them put together and would never miss it. I wish I could donate that kindof money.
If you are referring to JG, he does support athletics. He has a suite for FB and MBB

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.