Improvements at Doak Field (04/18/2024 Doak 2.0) $20MM approved by BOG

191,869 Views | 1061 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by wilmwolf
JCooke93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Going by the Doak today it hurt miss it a lot
Wolfer79
JCooke93 said:

Going by the Doak today it hurt miss it a lot

today would have been last day of regular season
JCooke93
Yup
Pakbackr
89_Grad said:

JCooke93 said:

Now would be a great time to be upgrading the Doak or Building a new ballpark near the golf course farmers market just saying
I was told many years ago that Neuse buffer rules would make siting any kind of stadium on Centennial Campus cost prohibitive. The entire campus is riddled with small streams.
They can deal with the streams. The more important factor is the value of the land on Centennial Campus. Office rental rates on CC are among the highest in the RTP area, as this has become a destination for major companies and prestigious research partners. As much as I'd love to see a stadium on CC, I'm afraid the economic factors from that are what make the option cost prohibitive.
89_Grad
Pakbackr said:

89_Grad said:

JCooke93 said:

Now would be a great time to be upgrading the Doak or Building a new ballpark near the golf course farmers market just saying
I was told many years ago that Neuse buffer rules would make siting any kind of stadium on Centennial Campus cost prohibitive. The entire campus is riddled with small streams.
They can deal with the streams. The more important factor is the value of the land on Centennial Campus. Office rental rates on CC are among the highest in the RTP area, as this has become a destination for major companies and prestigious research partners. As much as I'd love to see a stadium on CC, I'm afraid the economic factors from that are what make the option cost prohibitive.
Sure you can deal with the streams, but unless there is no practicable alternative, you will have to mitigate the destruction to streams and wetlands elsewhere in this part of the Neuse River basin. That would add significant costs in addition to the demand on the real estate you mention. I think folks who talk about putting a stadium on Centennial think there is just a bunch of vacant useable land sitting out there. That simply isn't the case.
Pakbackr
89_Grad said:

Pakbackr said:

89_Grad said:

JCooke93 said:

Sure you can deal with the streams, but unless there is no practicable alternative, you will have to mitigate the destruction to streams and wetlands elsewhere in this part of the Neuse River basin. That would add significant costs in addition to the demand on the real estate you mention. I think folks who talk about putting a stadium on Centennial think there is just a bunch of vacant useable land sitting out there. That simply isn't the case.
True - every square inch of Centennial Campus is already planned out. Not saying plans can't change, but when you consider the financials, hard to imagine a rarely used baseball stadium will ever knock something else off the master plan.
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
BASE: You've waited long enough. Say hello to the vastly improved Jack Critchfield Park. The home of Slippery Rock University baseball is now one of the finest collegiate baseball facilities in the country. We expect it to have a significant impact on the sport in Western PA.

metcalfmafia
Wolfer79 said:

BASE: You've waited long enough. Say hello to the vastly improved Jack Critchfield Park. The home of Slippery Rock University baseball is now one of the finest collegiate baseball facilities in the country. We expect it to have a significant impact on the sport in Western PA. https://t.co/FWTVT5f8xx
D2 school has an awning and we don't...
Pakbackr
metcalfmafia said:

Wolfer79 said:

BASE: You've waited long enough. Say hello to the vastly improved Jack Critchfield Park. The home of Slippery Rock University baseball is now one of the finest collegiate baseball facilities in the country. We expect it to have a significant impact on the sport in Western PA. https://t.co/FWTVT5f8xx
Cause it gets so blasted hot in PA, right?
Wolfer79
I40Wolf
metcalfmafia said:

Wolfer79 said:

Doak with a roof.
Wolfer79
One cool feature planned for the updated @OU_Baseball Stadium: Terraced berms on 1st & 3rd baselines for more functional seating on grass areas. Learn more about the $15 million facelift for L. Dale Mitchell Park.

wilmwolf
That looks neat, but the 2-3' walled berms look like a lot of potential future broken kids arms to me.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
I40Wolf
Wolfer79 said:

One cool feature planned for the updated @OU_Baseball Stadium: Terraced berms on 1st & 3rd baselines for more functional seating on grass areas. Learn more about the $15 million facelift for L. Dale Mitchell Park.

If I could sit there in a lawn chair with a beer I would stay there until the next game.
metcalfmafia
I40Wolf said:

Wolfer79 said:

If I could sit there in a lawn chair with a beer I would stay there until the next game.
Damn right. Lawn chairs would be more comfortable than the seats we have now.
Ripper
Every time I open this thread, just for a split second, I think maybe, just maybe, a miracle donor comes through and foots the bill for a massive upgrade or a new stadium. But then immediately I realize where I went to school. Oh well, maybe one day.
Wolfer79
With Oklahoma announcing plans for their stadium upgrades, it's worth taking a look back at @OSUBaseball's new $75 million stadium that was set to open this year. Check it out and see how it compares. https://t.co/aUx2QcEckt
89_Grad
If you post on or read this thread *****ing about lack of baseball facilities and you are NOT a member of the Wolfpack Club, then I'm just SMH...For cost of going out to a non-fast food restaurant twice a month, you could be (and should) be a member at the $500 level.

At this point, given the hit D-1 athletics departments are taking from COVID and our rank at or near the bottom of financial support from alums among the public schools in the ACC, we should just be happy we haven't heard any talk about shutting baseball down alltogether...
gopack1979
There's an entire master plan in the works and Baseball will be 1B when it's done(would have been Septemberish). Football stadium updates will be 1A. Covid will likely impact when/what we're able to do right away. Baseball is a priority though for the plan.
89_Grad
gopack1979 said:

There's an entire master plan in the works and Baseball will be 1B when it's done(would have been Septemberish). Football stadium updates will be 1A. Covid will likely impact when/what we're able to do right away. Baseball is a priority though for the plan.
what about the funds for the master plan? The ESA was originally conceived the year after Valvano won the Natty, and finally opened in 1999, 14 or 15 years later. My experience with master plans is that they just sit around collecting dust until a leadership level donor steps up.
PackBacker07
Wolfer79 said:

With Oklahoma announcing plans for their stadium upgrades, it's worth taking a look back at @OSUBaseball's new $75 million stadium that was set to open this year. Check it out and see how it compares. https://t.co/aUx2QcEckt

For my money, this is now the absolute gold standard facility in college baseball. Maybe only Mississippi State could have an argument?
Wolfer79
In an age when programs are slashing budgets, @PennBaseball received a $2 million gift to name the baseball facility after Tommy Lasorda.

metcalfmafia
Every update to this thread drives a nail deeper and deeper in my heart.

My check keeps bouncing.
Wolfer79
metcalfmafia said:

My check keeps bouncing.

I did change title to reflect lack of activity known to general public
wilmwolf
Wolfer79 said:

metcalfmafia said:

My check keeps bouncing.

I did change title to reflect lack of activity known to general public
The thread icon should be a picture of Eeyore or a sad trombone.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Wolfer79
JCooke93
Must be nice
Pack87
Aren't Lee and Sullivan schedule for demolition? Would that be an opportunity to reconfigure around Doak? Not saying they would take the land, for the baseball stadium, but if they need to rework the dorms around the stadium it looks like they could possibly redesign the entire area at that point.
Wolfer79
In a really unique situation, @OmahaBSB donors are in charge of building a new $23.5M complex for baseball and softball:

https://t.co/IGJV26D8Aa
PackBacker07
JCooke93
Come on
Pakbackr
Pack87 said:

Aren't Lee and Sullivan schedule for demolition? Would that be an opportunity to reconfigure around Doak? Not saying they would take the land, for the baseball stadium, but if they need to rework the dorms around the stadium it looks like they could possibly redesign the entire area at that point.
I had heard that, but not sure of the timing. Actually, demolition and rebuild of Lee and Sullivan will surely consume that small intramural field behind the outfield fence for construction needs. That makes Doak renovations even more of a challenge if you ask me, esp any enhancements in the outfield.
Wolfer79
3rdGenPacker
I'm actually surprised that was only 12.5 million.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.