Improvements at Doak Field (04/18/2024 Doak 2.0) $20MM approved by BOG

191,815 Views | 1061 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by wilmwolf
wilmwolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Per the tweet on the other thread, field and bullpens started in October and video board will be replaced in December. That will be the end of phase 1.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
FinsUp
Pakbackr said:

I don't have the funds to make it happen (wish I did), but I think they may have set their sights a tad too low. But what do I know...maybe they were spot on. Hopefully this is an indication of the overall support and they can dream even bigger going forward. Anyone have any idea how much is scheduled to be completed by next season?
There are more plans. Coach wanted to take care of the players first, and the powers that be wanted to make sure everything was paid
Pakbackr
FinsUp said:

Pakbackr said:

I don't have the funds to make it happen (wish I did), but I think they may have set their sights a tad too low. But what do I know...maybe they were spot on. Hopefully this is an indication of the overall support and they can dream even bigger going forward. Anyone have any idea how much is scheduled to be completed by next season?
There are more plans. Coach wanted to take care of the players first, and the powers that be wanted to make sure everything was paid
Good to know. Hope they keep the momentum going.
Wolfer79
Texas A&M's Board of Regents approved $60M more for Blue Bell Park renovations for @AggieBaseball.

metcalfmafia
Wolfer79 said:

Texas A&M's Board of Regents approved $60M more for Blue Bell Park renovations for @AggieBaseball.

Funded by the University?
JCooke93
Pain
FlockaWolf
Damn and we are grinding for $15M renovations
Bell Tower Grey
metcalfmafia said:

Wolfer79 said:

Funded by the University?
Big oil money doesn't play around, friend.
ClePack
FlockaWolf said:

Damn and we are grinding for $15M renovations
We really have no shot to keep up with anything in modern day athletics. We are so screwed, on multiple fronts lol
JCooke93
We are fine
ClePack
JCooke93 said:

We are fine

Fine doesn't win championships
Pakbackr
I met a former Coastal Carolina player last night in Myrtle Beach. In fact, he said he played in the first Coastal Carolina baseball game back when they started playing in 1976. Anyway, nice guy who was wearing his CC sweatshirt and saw me in my NC State hat and we struck up a conversation at the Costco gas pumps.

I told him I planned to visit their place when we play them in February. He said, "Come on down and see the palace!" He went on to thank us for the role we played in them having such a nice complex, saying it might not have happened if not for the year they won the CWS. He said he was in attendance at Doak that year and we commiserated about the rain delay and the huge 2 strike hit their kid had that turned the game. He said that win in Raleigh propelled this team to that CWS Championship.

He went on to say how badly he felt for us when we got robbed of our chance a couple years ago. I told him we were leveraging that success to make some enhancements to Doak. Without hesitation he said, "No offense, but you guys need to scrap that place and build something new!" He said, "You've got a great coach and have had some great players come through there," citing the likes of Trea Turner and Carlos Rodon. He said "I have followed the renovation plans and your program deserves better! And if we can have a palace at Coastal Carolina, there is no reason NC State can't have one."

Interesting perspective from an outsider.
FlockaWolf
That game still hurts.
Pack31
ClePack said:

JCooke93 said:

We are fine

Fine doesn't win championships

Should have. Ncaa took it away
JCooke93
Same
JCooke93
Yup still hurting
metcalfmafia

Not trying to spend other people's money, but let me (or the NC State Baseball program) hold a dollar Trea
Wolfer79
Pakbackr
Wolfer79 said:

Anyone have details on what is happening here? That appears like a gravel base, so I assume they get this perfectly sloped and then lay turf on top, and that helps drainage...correct? Will field remain grass or are we shifting to a synthetic turf? For those in the know, is there anything else of substance going on here?
metcalfmafia
I say don't replace the outfield walls and we create a Polo Grounds 2.0
jwpack
What type of grass will they use, does anyone know.
Bigwuf
TA&M is not just oil money - it is $EC money. As the Nebraska AD said recently, "there is really just the Big 2 now..." It will affect all sports.
D33z
10" of rootzone mix is being installed over 4" of gravel to meet USGA sports field spec

Pakbackr said:

Wolfer79 said:

Anyone have details on what is happening here? That appears like a gravel base, so I assume they get this perfectly sloped and then lay turf on top, and that helps drainage...correct? Will field remain grass or are we shifting to a synthetic turf? For those in the know, is there anything else of substance going on here?
"PACK POWER"
Pakbackr
D33z said:

10" of rootzone mix is being installed over 4" of gravel to meet USGA sports field spec

Pakbackr said:

Wolfer79 said:

So, essentially our entire baseball field is being built to 'putting green' standards?
jwpack
You can't grow Bermuda in the winter & we start playing in February. So again what type of grass are we using if anyone knows.
JCooke93
This weather today ugh
D33z
419 Bermuda base overseeded with ryegrass being grown in Georgia

jwpack said:

You can't grow Bermuda in the winter & we start playing in February. So again what type of grass are we using if anyone knows.
"PACK POWER"
Pakbackr
Other than the field, what else is being planned for completion by the start of the season in February?
Glasswolf
Pakbackr said:

Wolfer79 said:

Grass only.
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

jwpack
How is the 419 Bermuda going to take since it is dormant until around may. Over seeding with rye is ok but will the 419 be stable enough to play on since the roots are not growing.
BobbyCox95
Glasswolf said:

Pakbackr said:

Wolfer79 said:

Grass only.

Was the previous field really bad? Not trying to sound sarcastic but I always thought it looked good. What exactly was wrong with the old field?
wilmwolf
BobbyCox95 said:

Glasswolf said:

Pakbackr said:

Wolfer79 said:

Grass only.

Was the previous field really bad? Not trying to sound sarcastic but I always thought it looked good. What exactly was wrong with the old field?

This field work really doesn't have anything to do with how it looked. It did and always will look good. Redoing the surface and the drainage work should make it easier to maintain, have quicker turnaround after rain, etc. As mentioned above, it's being done like a putting green with the gravel drainage below the soil, which should help keep water from pooling on the field.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
wgpack
Went by yesterday before the women's bball game. Looks like there is lots of work left to do with about 8 weeks to go before the first game. I think a couple of weeks of bad weather will be a huge issue. I hope they have a backup plan.
Packsd14me
wilmwolf80 said:

BobbyCox95 said:

Glasswolf said:

Pakbackr said:

Wolfer79 said:

Grass only.

This field work really doesn't have anything to do with how it looked. It did and always will look good. Redoing the surface and the drainage work should make it easier to maintain, have quicker turnaround after rain, etc. As mentioned above, it's being done like a putting green with the gravel drainage below the soil, which should help keep water from pooling on the field.
I might add that the infield at Doak is very hard, harder than most infields that college teams play on. Hopefully, the drainage is better AND the surface plays for professional-like.
BobbyCox95
wilmwolf80 said:

BobbyCox95 said:

Glasswolf said:

Pakbackr said:

Wolfer79 said:

Grass only.

Yea I get that there is way more to the field than looks, but I was just curious as to what the need was to replace it. I didn't realize it didn't drain well. Also, didn't realize the infield wasn't up to par. Makes sense.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.