Improvements at Doak Field (04/18/2024 Doak 2.0) $20MM approved by BOG

191,618 Views | 1061 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by wilmwolf
Bell Tower Grey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DealWolf said:

Tootie4Pack said:

FYI…..announced today.

Excellent! Need more of these for sure. Good work North State Bank.
Larry Barbour is an alum and has been a generous and avid supporter of NC State. His investments in State are much appreciated.
DanielWilsonIPS
Seems like today is a good day to drop a reminder to support the Doak Field enhancement project...
Daniel Wilson
Staff Writer, IPS
Producer, Learfield
NCBWA Member
Wolfer79
DanielWilsonIPS said:

Seems like today is a good day to drop a reminder to support the Doak Field enhancement project...

I heard an interview with Avent in last few weeks that pledges were between $10 & $15 million, which seems a wide range.

have you heard other numbers?
CLTWolf
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
FlockaWolf

This one doesn't say how much like the others but nice to see!
Glasswolf
FlockaWolf said:

This one doesn't say how much like the others but nice to see!
Still not 3/4 of the way for phase 1. This helps, but more is needed
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

Glasswolf
Wolfer79 said:

DanielWilsonIPS said:

I heard an interview with Avent in last few weeks that pledges were between $10 & $15 million, which seems a wide range.

Close to $10M
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

Northernpack11
Glasswolf said:

Wolfer79 said:

DanielWilsonIPS said:

Close to $10M
Is phase 1 $15M total for the renderings we have seen. If so seems as though we are 2/3 of the way there. What would be plans / ideas for future phases?
Ellesdad
I mentioned this on another thread, but I'm going to get on a soap box right now.

How in the world did we get a stadium that's so small? From watching so many college baseball games, it blows my mind how teams from lower conferences have significantly nicer/larger stadiums than us. That doesn't even include how our stadium compares to ACC stadiums.

I think it's so cool to see folks donating to some upgrades, but why is this on the fans? Why isn't the athletics department, that makes more money than ever, stepping up to give us a stadium that's nicer or and creates more of an experience for fans? It's amazing how much Avent has accomplished given how little has been invested into the program.

And I don't mean to complain. I truly want to know why the school doesn't step up. I'm 35 and the baseball team has arguably been the most successful program at State in my lifetime. What's the disconnect?
BigLefty24
Ellesdad said:

I mentioned this on another thread, but I'm going to get on a soap box right now.

How in the world did we get a stadium that's so small? From watching so many college baseball games, it blows my mind how teams from lower conferences have significantly nicer/larger stadiums than us. That doesn't even include how our stadium compares to ACC stadiums.

I think it's so cool to see folks donating to some upgrades, but why is this on the fans? Why isn't the athletics department, that makes more money than ever, stepping up to give us a stadium that's nicer or and creates more of an experience for fans? It's amazing how much Avent has accomplished given how little has been invested into the program.

And I don't mean to complain. I truly want to know why the school doesn't step up. I'm 35 and the baseball team has arguably been the most successful program at State in my lifetime. What's the disconnect?

followed by....

@BigLefty24

*100% committed*
*Please respect my decision*
*Recruitment still open 110%*

rwwalsh
Ellesdad said:

Not sure the demand or actual plot of land exists for a larger stadium. As far as where the money is going, basically it just goes to football upgrades since that's where the revenue comes from.
metcalfmafia
I remember someone on here mentioned that there was a time back in the day where Avent wanted a stadium over by Carter Finley, but I don't know how possible that actually was.
Beachbum3
The question I have is $15 million for the renderings shown considered stage one or is there more if more money is raised ?
Bell Tower Grey
Beachbum3 said:

The question I have is $15 million for the renderings shown considered stage one or is there more if more money is raised ?
I'd be interested in knowing what the estimated total cost for the enire project (3 phases) is.
Tootie4Pack
Beachbum3 said:

With the dramatic increase in the costs of supplies and getting contractors to do the work , if the $15 million is for one phase, you need to increase that number by at least 20%, and 30-
40% might not be out of the question.

Serving as an elected official , we have seen bond projects approved last November increase by 20% to one project increasing by over 70%. And it ain't going to get cheaper.
Northernpack11
Tootie4Pack said:

Beachbum3 said:

With the dramatic increase in the costs of supplies and getting contractors to do the work , if the $15 million is for one phase, you need to increase that number by at least 20%, and 30-
40% might not be out of the question.

Serving as an elected official , we have seen bond projects approved last November increase by 20% to one project increasing by over 70%. And it ain't going to get cheaper.

So if what's true from earlier posts in this thread Avent had a chance for a comprehensive renovation. Boxes. Additional building / offices and practice facilities beyond the outfield fence and turned it all down because he wanted a new stadium by Carter Finley. Then when he was ready for renovations we get lipstick on a pig and will end up spending more for not much.
wilmwolf
Pretty sure 15 million was for the whole project as rendered, all three phases, and if more was raised they would add more stuff.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Pakbackr
I hope the player development facilities and player amenities are awesome with this $15M enhancement, but just looking at the stadiums that hosted regionals this past weekend reminded me, for overall stadium enhancements and fan experience...this is pretty much "lipstick on a pig".
Northernpack11
Pakbackr said:

I hope the player development facilities and player amenities are awesome with this $15M enhancement, but just looking at the stadiums that hosted regionals this past weekend reminded me, for overall stadium enhancements and fan experience...this is pretty much "lipstick on a pig".
The player development facilities are just tear down the metal shed and make it brick.

They are adding a few grills out front and then a little bar area down the left field.
89_Grad
I'm with you on the fan amenities, but the fan base needs to step up and pay for them.

And as for the additional seating capacity as I've said many times before, as a long time season ticket holder, I can tell you that if the ushers would let you, you could sit on the first three rows within 20 feet of home plate for literally every single game this year except (possibly) for the ECU game and UNC series. And even the ECU game, though fuller than other midweek games was not at total seating capacity. We absolutely do NOT need to waste money on extra seating capacity. IF you want to build it into the plans as a future phase, of course. But with all the entertainment dollar options in Wake County (as opposed to Greenville, for example) you just aren't going to get the community support beyond the diehard Wolfpack baseball fan.
DJncsu13
89_Grad said:

I'm with you on the fan amenities, but the fan base needs to step up and pay for them.

And as for the additional seating capacity as I've said many times before, as a long time season ticket holder, I can tell you that if the ushers would let you, you could sit on the first three rows within 20 feet of home plate for literally every single game this year except (possibly) for the ECU game and UNC series. And even the ECU game, though fuller than other midweek games was not at total seating capacity. We absolutely do NOT need to waste money on extra seating capacity. IF you want to build it into the plans as a future phase, of course. But with all the entertainment dollar options in Wake County (as opposed to Greenville, for example) you just aren't going to get the community support beyond the diehard Wolfpack baseball fan.

I think you could "increase capacity" by adding a student porch in left field. Have it as a student area only where they can really make it a party. Make baseball games fun. This would also allow the new hill area to be sold.
"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack"
Follow me on twitter: @d_johnson13/@PackUniforms
Ellesdad
Exactly. Most games you watch have that exact thing.

I don't think we need to spend money to have a stadium like Arkansas or LSU, but we are a middle tier acc stadium at this point. I think the university should invest into the program more, which could definitely increase the experience for fans and result in higher attendance.
BobbyCox95
Beachbum3 said:

Was the rendering just for phase 1 or all 3 phases?
PackCPA
Offering an alternative option in left field/left center is by far our best ROI option IMO. Broadens the appeal to students/young alums, improves the atmosphere, and increases inflows, all at what would/should be a relatively low cost. Maybe there are hurdles we don't know about related to Lee Field but this seems like a no-brainer to me. Do agree with 89_Grad, however, that in its current state, attendance isn't likely to change much.

ETA: I do wish they would dangle the carrot a little better with regard to their plans. Every State fan I talk to about the renovations doesn't know what the phases are, what financial goal gets us what, etc. As long as they clearly articulate which upgrades come with what target being met, I don't see the harm in putting the full plan out there and raising some excitement around it.
BobbyCox95
wilmwolf80 said:

Pretty sure 15 million was for the whole project as rendered, all three phases, and if more was raised they would add more stuff.
Yikes.

I wonder what it would take to close down Varsity drive and half of that the parking lot (Thurman Dr) and open up a little more room to expand. Would be really nice to tear down that blue light special looking press box and lettering and redo that as well.
wilmwolf
The full plan is out there. The renderings released are for all the phases. As I recall, the first phase was the playing surface, the second was player facilities upgrades, and the third was fan amenities. But I'm just going on memory, it was all discussed here multiple times. What was communicated as far as my recollection is that the fan amenities could be more based on how much was raised, but the priority was the field and stuff for the players.
wilmwolf
The funny thing to me is that the fan amenities, which is the smallest portion of what they are planning on doing, are based on things that schools had in the regionals and supers last year that everyone thought were cool - the grills, etc. But when they put them on the rendering, everyone has complained. The big goal here is to make things better for the players. If folks want more fan stuff, then they gave to give more than 15 million. Pretty simple.
BobbyCox95
wilmwolf80 said:

The funny thing to me is that the fan amenities, which is the smallest portion of what they are planning on doing, are based on things that schools had in the regionals and supers last year that everyone thought were cool - the grills, etc. But when they put them on the rendering, everyone has complained. The big goal here is to make things better for the players. If folks want more fan stuff, then they gave to give more than 15 million. Pretty simple.

Lol…..GIVE MORE GIVE MORE GIVE MORE……we get it. We all understand the situation. I'll always give as much as I can without having to sacrifice for my family. I wish we all would but I think the bottom line from most fans is how did we even get here? As an athletic program we have spent a ton on athletic facilities over the last 20 years but baseball has always gotten the shaft. The biggest gripe for me is how we are sitting here in 2022 and schools like La Tech and ecu have better facilities than us (and most P5 schools). I don't think we've allocated enough to what I consider our third most important sport.
wilmwolf
I don't disagree, they should've put more money in baseball over the years. They've been focused on football facilities spending, which up until recently was necessary just to be competitive. Fact is, they've had to pick and choose because of the money that was available, and they've chosen football. So, we can sit around and wonder how we got here, but you can't change the past. If we want baseball to have better facilities in the here and now, giving money directly to this project is the way to do it. We heard for years that there were folks ready to open their checkbooks as soon as Yow was gone, so it shouldn't be a problem to meet and exceed the current goals.
PackFansXL
BobbyCox95 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Lol…..GIVE MORE GIVE MORE GIVE MORE……we get it. We all understand the situation. I'll always give as much as I can without having to sacrifice for my family. I wish we all would but I think the bottom line from most fans is how did we even get here? As an athletic program we have spent a ton on athletic facilities over the last 20 years but baseball has always gotten the shaft. The biggest gripe for me is how we are sitting here in 2022 and schools like La Tech and ecu have better facilities than us (and most P5 schools). I don't think we've allocated enough to what I consider our third most important sport.
I have never been to the football facilities at either of those schools, but I bet ours are much better than those places. Since football pays the bills for the entire athletic department, it seems like the proper emphasis to me, given we don't have SEC TV contract money to play with.
BigLefty24
$15M is a **** load of money. Especially when you're talking about a renovation.

Liberty built a NEW state of the art baseball stadium for $9M 8-9 years ago.

@BigLefty24

*100% committed*
*Please respect my decision*
*Recruitment still open 110%*

BobbyCox95
wilmwolf80 said:

I don't disagree, they should've put more money in baseball over the years. They've been focused on football facilities spending, which up until recently was necessary just to be competitive. Fact is, they've had to pick and choose because of the money that was available, and they've chosen football. So, we can sit around and wonder how we got here, but you can't change the past. If we want baseball to have better facilities in the here and now, giving money directly to this project is the way to do it. We heard for years that there were folks ready to open their checkbooks as soon as Yow was gone, so it shouldn't be a problem to meet and exceed the current goals.

I think 10 million raised in just a couple months is pretty good. Especially considering everyone's financial investments are most likely tanking right now. Maybe to go even deeper I wonder how we got to this point even before 20 years ago. I know…..off topic, but how did we go from the mid 60's to 1998 with almost no facility investment other than the Weisiger Brown facility. If we already had a decent stadium 20-30 years ago then pouring 15 million now could make it top of the line. But instead, here we are putting lipstick on the pig. If I'm being honest, even with these enhancements, optically it's still one of the worst in the conference.
Ellesdad
Exactly! Why is it all on the fans? Why can't State step up and build something that is on par with other programs.
Bell Tower Grey
Just remember, as it stands now athletics funding is not coming from the billion $ endowment. Whether or not the university has other funds they would / could consider using for that project is something someone else more close to the school / baseball project will have to answer.
PoleD
Even if we had $30M in hand would you trust that we would get the most out of it?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.