Improvements at Doak Field (04/18/2024 Doak 2.0) $20MM approved by BOG

191,498 Views | 1061 Replies | Last: 6 days ago by wilmwolf
Pakbackr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Still making payments on Doak enhancements is like someone still making payments on a AMC Gremlin!
JCooke93
Wolfer79 said:

Yow said in one of her exit interviews with media that NC State is still paying for last round of renovations for Doak Field at Dail Park. That and other Athletic Department capital project debt is being paid off at $500,000 a year until I think 2022.

Athletic Department is looking for donor to pay significant portion of the $7 million for ACC Network studio also.

WPC is paying debt from Indoor Practice Facility and Reynolds Renovation/Hall of Fame.

Until those debts are reduced, I would not anticipate any major improvements at Doak Field at Dail Park.
they turned people down who wanted to give the Baseball program money under her watch
Ripper
I've read she turned down baseball only donations. I've also read the WPC told donors to not donate until she was gone. I've also read Avent wasn't interested in Doak upgrades that were presented to him, because he wants a brand new stadium. Sounds like total dis-functionality.

Does anyone of authority know the real story? This soap opera is pathetic.

Wolfer79
Ripper said:

I've read she turned down baseball only donations. I've also read the WPC told donors to not donate until she was gone. I've also read Avent wasn't interested in Doak upgrades that were presented to him, because he wants a brand new stadium. Sounds like total dis-functionality.

I was coming to post that I had read all of those versions of the story and was wondering if all had some portion of the truth or if they were Wolfpack Urban Legends.

It would be nice to know if they were different versions of the same story and what was true.
basementwolf
Ripper said:

I believe that it's policy that to target your money you have to give enough to have naming rights on something; like the Dail's did. Smaller amounts go into general fund. The other exception is when you give to a fundraising campaign that has been set up for a specific purpose (example Reynolds revamp or football practice field.) Can't remember if those had specific campaigns or not, they are just type of things that might.
This is nothing that Yow did to baseball; it's true of all sports and represents existing policies.

I personally don't believe Yow would have turned down money just because she didn't like the Evil Genius. She would have followed any fundraising rules that existed though. If anyone had wished to target enough to baseball that it would have naming rights on something, like a new baseball practice facility to replace the shed, it would have happened.

basementwolf
Wolfer79 said:

Ripper said:

I was coming to post that I had read all of those versions of the story and was wondering if all had some portion of the truth or if they were Wolfpack Urban Legends.

It would be nice to know if they were different versions of the same story and what was true.
I think some of it stems from the legend, a legend that does appear to be rooted in some facts at least, that Ray had someone lined up to give money for the lights and Toad Turner turned it down. Pissed him off enough he left.
But that happened long before Yow got here.
wilmwolf
In Yow's own words on this site -

"We need a couple of really key donors to step up with leadership gifts to be able to start the phases to improve Doak"

And in a separate answer.

"They'd love to do baseball as soon as they found those donors. That's how this really works. You have to have leadership gifts in place. So we've been able to find that for the Sports Medicine unit. We've been able to find it for wrestling and been able to find it for swimming. We have to find it for baseball.

Usually it's the head coach that says these are my guys and these are the ones that I think can do this and Elliott will have some people that he thinks could be useful. They'll get to it."

Depending on how you choose to read it, it may confirm or rebutt some of the claims that have been made over the years.

ETA- My personal interpretation hinges on the last paragraph I have quoted. To me that reads "There have been people supposedly ready to give, but some have said that I (Yow) have been a roadblock to that happening. Now I'm gone, so if those people exist, it's time for Avent to get them to come forward." I read it as a tacit acknowledgement that an impasse has existed, and also a bit of a call out of those folks to put up our shut up. That is just my interpretation of the written words, and I can easily see how it could be interpreted differently.
metcalfmafia
basementwolf said:

Ripper said:

I believe that it's policy that to target your money you have to give enough to have naming rights on something; like the Dail's did. Smaller amounts go into general fund. The other exception is when you give to a fundraising campaign that has been set up for a specific purpose (example Reynolds revamp or football practice field.) Can't remember if those had specific campaigns or not, they are just type of things that might.
This is nothing that Yow did to baseball; it's true of all sports and represents existing policies.

I personally don't believe Yow would have turned down money just because she didn't like the Evil Genius. She would have followed any fundraising rules that existed though. If anyone had wished to target enough to baseball that it would have naming rights on something, like a new baseball practice facility to replace the shed, it would have happened.

Is there a reason for such a policy? Do other schools do the same thing?
Wolfer79
basementwolf said:

Wolfer79 said:

Ripper said:

I think some of it stems from the legend, a legend that does appear to be rooted in some facts at least, that Ray had someone lined up to give money for the lights and Toad Turner turned it down. Pissed him off enough he left.
But that happened long before Yow got here.

Thank you
Wolfer79
basementwolf said:

Ripper said:

Given Yow's exit interview comments that NC State Athletics is still paying off last Doak project, I am starting to wonder if Athletic Department was telling potential donors new baseball donations go to paying off that debt then new project donations would be accepted and the donors decided they wanted to give to something new and decided to wait.

I have to admit, I was surprised to read Yow's comment that NC State still has debt on Doak Field project. BUT she did not say it was 2003 project and could be improvements since then.
JCooke93
Wolfer79 said:

basementwolf said:

Ripper said:

Given Yow's exit interview comments that NC State Athletics is still paying off last Doak project, I am starting to wonder if Athletic Department was telling potential donors new baseball donations go to paying off that debt then new project donations would be accepted and the donors decided they wanted to give to something new and decided to wait.

I have to admit, I was surprised to read Yow's comment that NC State still has debt on Doak Field project. BUT she did not say it was 2003 project and could be improvements since then.
it is the 2002
Wolfer79
JCooke93 said:

Wolfer79 said:

basementwolf said:

Ripper said:

it is the 2002

Thank you.

Not sure what else to say
gopack1979
They're working on a plan now for a phased upgrade to the Doak. Just be patient, I'm sure when the plans are finalized you'll all have an opportunity to give lots of $.
BigLefty24
Phase 1:

@BigLefty24

*100% committed*
*Please respect my decision*
*Recruitment still open 110%*

JCooke93
gopack1979 said:

They're working on a plan now for a phased upgrade to the Doak. Just be patient, I'm sure when the plans are finalized you'll all have an opportunity to give lots of $.
that has been going on for ever
Ripper
JCooke93 said:

gopack1979 said:

that has been going on for ever
If this happens, I assume that a new stadium (Centennial or CF or wherever) will no longer be in the cards for many, many years, if ever?
lumberpack5
Past of the problem is that the NC State Athletic department is treated the same way the City of Raleigh treats the water department - as a utility fund that must pay as it goes. It has to show all debt and and a cash flow to defease said debt.

This does not happen in other states and at other university where the debt is carrier by a thrid party and never hits the U's books. The rams club did this with thier current bevy of project. Bubba does not have to worry about paying the debt until the projects are given to the Athletic Department and depending on how the donation is handled the debt element may not fully attach.

Yow had to show paying for the AD's part of Reynolds per NC State adn State of NC Accounting rules. At the end of the day it's a modified accrual cash flow issue where Yow can't book future earnings until they are in hand and therefore can defease a debt base on future income.

Most people understand cash accouting, some accrual, damn few understand modiied accrual. MA means it';s a bald face lie for her to promise that person's A's cash will got to project A - explaining this makes you look like an *******. The legal shells and hoops to overcome some of this is why the Rams Club went to the LGC a few months ago regarding short term debt they are holding on behalf of the UNC Athletic Department.

The final rub is this. I know some of Avent's best supporters. The like him, but they can also sit in the stands and predict the very next thing he will do. A few are not people that NC State can afford to piss off, even when the ptb know staff is right.

Finally the current location is dog *****

Put a new one on tip of Water Street next to CP&L substation with the seats that have their backs and canopy against the SW sun. Then further down the corner build a boutique and lounge to go with a small tower above the back stop. Max seating of about 7000 K, 4000K seating covered by an overhand or in a suite. Takes about as long to get to there from Case Athletic center as it does to get to Doak.

But what do I know?
I like the athletic type
Ripper
Where is Water Street? Where is the location you are referencing?
CLTWolf
CP&L? Been 15 years or so since I heard that name.

wilmwolf
When he gets started it's best to just let him finish.
CLTWolf
wilmwolf80 said:

Lol.
89_Grad
CLTWolf said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Lol.
I assume he's talking about Hillsborough and Turner Street (between the Stanhope and Gorman Street). But the problem is, well, there is a DUke Energy substation on that parcel.

A more likely scenario in terms of the long term documented decline in car buying amoung millenials is to expand footprint of Doak to encompass the entire West end of the Sullivan lot and take the parking between Doak and Isenhour as well. expand the deck across the street, or turn surface lots adjacent to Lee and Sullivan to replace large surface parking lots with decks.

We already know that long term University capital plans call for demolishing Lee, Sullivan and Bragaw. I assume redesign of West Campus could accomodate larger footprint for an improved Doak.

I've been told that Neuse River basin buffer rules would prevent construction of any large sports stadium and associated parking on Centennial Campus.I think they are just about at limit with regards to impervious surface with the existing and planned academic construction over there.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
3rdGenPacker
Personally I don't think the current location is bad. And I'd upgrade the fan experience first and foremost. Wouldn't be that hard.

1 - Expand the seating down both foul lines with additional concourse areas as well, with some picnic or table style seating in places on the concourses
2 - Expand the baseball building down past the location of the current metal building/hitting facility
3 - Move the baseball offices down to the new area of the baseball building and convert the current offices to suites
4 - move the Home locker room to the new space created and convert the existing locker room to a visitor locker room
5 - Take a page out of the Coastal design plan and create a walkway around the stadium in the OF - elevated so you can still see the game; this will require some impact on the current walking trail in CF/RF (could pass under the new baseball walkway potentially) and would require taking some of the land on the intramural field beyond LF - doesn't need to be massive, just create some spaces for people to sit and enjoy being able to walk around the entire park
6 - move the bullpens to beyond the OF walls (again, look at Coastal's design)
7 - Put some covering up over the existing seating or some significant portion of it (this is a must)
8 - borrow from UNC and put some tall tables to stand around on the concourse behind the seats - people gather there anyway, make it more comfortable for them and make it in the newly covered sections
9 - put some sort of playground area down one of the foul lines, not in prime seating area - but give kids somewhere to blow off some steam
10 - create an entrance in the RF corner for those that park in the deck across the street; people will have to walk just as far to get to their seats on the 3B side, but they won't feel like it and they'll be able to see the game longer on entry and exit

This would improve baseball facilities as well because a new locker room and a true indoor hitting facility could be put in the new space created down the RF line, along with a pitching "lab" as well plus a player lounge could be part of the new space
metcalfmafia
3rdGenPacker said:

Personally I don't think the current location is bad. And I'd upgrade the fan experience first and foremost. Wouldn't be that hard.

1 - Expand the seating down both foul lines with additional concourse areas as well, with some picnic or table style seating in places on the concourses
2 - Expand the baseball building down past the location of the current metal building/hitting facility
3 - Move the baseball offices down to the new area of the baseball building and convert the current offices to suites
4 - move the Home locker room to the new space created and convert the existing locker room to a visitor locker room
5 - Take a page out of the Coastal design plan and create a walkway around the stadium in the OF - elevated so you can still see the game; this will require some impact on the current walking trail in CF/RF (could pass under the new baseball walkway potentially) and would require taking some of the land on the intramural field beyond LF - doesn't need to be massive, just create some spaces for people to sit and enjoy being able to walk around the entire park
6 - move the bullpens to beyond the OF walls (again, look at Coastal's design)
7 - Put some covering up over the existing seating or some significant portion of it (this is a must)
8 - borrow from UNC and put some tall tables to stand around on the concourse behind the seats - people gather there anyway, make it more comfortable for them and make it in the newly covered sections
9 - put some sort of playground area down one of the foul lines, not in prime seating area - but give kids somewhere to blow off some steam
10 - create an entrance in the RF corner for those that park in the deck across the street; people will have to walk just as far to get to their seats on the 3B side, but they won't feel like it and they'll be able to see the game longer on entry and exit

This would improve baseball facilities as well because a new locker room and a true indoor hitting facility could be put in the new space created down the RF line, along with a pitching "lab" as well plus a player lounge could be part of the new space

I'd be down with all of this in a perfectly funded world.
wilmwolf
I'm just here for Wolfer79 to say write the check.
gopack1979
Player amenities will come long before the fan upgrades. New batting cages and offices will likely be phase 1. Only entrance will be in right field when this is done.
metcalfmafia
gopack1979 said:

Player amenities will come long before the fan upgrades. New batting cages and offices will likely be phase 1. Only entrance will be in right field when this is done.
This is exciting. Hope it works out.
Wolfer79
lumberpack5 said:

Past of the problem is that the NC State Athletic department is treated the same way the City of Raleigh treats the water department - as a utility fund that must pay as it goes. It has to show all debt and and a cash flow to defease said debt.

This does not happen in other states and at other university where the debt is carrier by a thrid party and never hits the U's books. The rams club did this with thier current bevy of project. Bubba does not have to worry about paying the debt until the projects are given to the Athletic Department and depending on how the donation is handled the debt element may not fully attach.

Yow had to show paying for the AD's part of Reynolds per NC State adn State of NC Accounting rules. At the end of the day it's a modified accrual cash flow issue where Yow can't book future earnings until they are in hand and therefore can defease a debt base on future income.

Most people understand cash accouting, some accrual, damn few understand modiied accrual. MA means it';s a bald face lie for her to promise that person's A's cash will got to project A - explaining this makes you look like an *******. The legal shells and hoops to overcome some of this is why the Rams Club went to the LGC a few months ago regarding short term debt they are holding on behalf of the UNC Athletic Department.

The final rub is this. I know some of Avent's best supporters. The like him, but they can also sit in the stands and predict the very next thing he will do. A few are not people that NC State can afford to piss off, even when the ptb know staff is right.

Finally the current location is dog *****

Put a new one on tip of Water Street next to CP&L substation with the seats that have their backs and canopy against the SW sun. Then further down the corner build a boutique and lounge to go with a small tower above the back stop. Max seating of about 7000 K, 4000K seating covered by an overhand or in a suite. Takes about as long to get to there from Case Athletic center as it does to get to Doak.

But what do I know?

Redi Killowatt Stadium sounds like a good name
Wolfer79
Doak Field at Dail Park did not make list

On list
East Carolina
unc-ch
Coastal Carolina
Wilmington

JCooke93
Wolfer79 said:

On list
East Carolina
unc-ch
Coastal Carolina
Wilmington

not surprised
metcalfmafia
Wolfer79 said:

On list
East Carolina
unc-ch
Coastal Carolina
Wilmington

Wow. Much shocked.
Pakbackr
Wolfer79 said:

On list
East Carolina
unc-ch
Coastal Carolina
Wilmington

Doak wouldn't make the 2nd or even 3rd group of 16.
JCooke93
Pakbackr said:

Wolfer79 said:

On list
East Carolina
unc-ch
Coastal Carolina
Wilmington

Doak wouldn't make the 2nd or even 3rd group of 16.
Time for Upgrades please Boo
Wolfer79
Wolfer79

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.