Improvements at Doak Field (04/18/2024 Doak 2.0) $20MM approved by BOG

191,563 Views | 1061 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by wilmwolf
Wolfer79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BreakPoint
Is the plan to use another field this season while Doak is being worked on?
JCooke93
As of right now it's supposed to be ready for opening Day
BreakPoint
JCooke93 said:

As of right now it's supposed to be ready for opening Day

Grass or artificial turf?
dmelvin
Grass
Dmelvin
JCooke93
I am excited for Monday in Holly Springs
I40Wolf
JCooke93 said:

Why?
Pakbackr
I am ok if the Pack plays all season at Ting...what an upgrade over Doak!
metcalfmafia
I40Wolf said:

JCooke93 said:

Why?
Open practice to the public apparently, but who would know? Nothing sent out to season ticket holders.
JCooke93
The ballpark look good today
Pack31
jwpack said:

How is the 419 Bermuda going to take since it is dormant until around may. Over seeding with rye is ok but will the 419 be stable enough to play on since the roots are not growing.

The Rye roots will grow quickly thru the Bermuda and stabilize will the Bermuda comes out of dormancy, likely in early May
metcalfmafia

New scoreboard looks huge.
JCooke93
It is
metcalfmafia
Humongous NORTH STATE BANK lettering on the top of the scoreboard is an interesting touch.
FlockaWolf
Great eyesight by you
Dr Wire
Anyone know the practice times at Ting Park in Holly Springs tomorrow and Friday?
JCooke93
4pmET
DJncsu13
Looks like sod is being delivered today.
"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack"
Follow me on twitter: @d_johnson13/@PackUniforms
DJncsu13
DJncsu13 said:

Looks like sod is being delivered today.
Installation has started as well.
"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack"
DJncsu13
DJncsu13
Interesting to see that video. Does the artificial turf from around home plate to 1st base look like a different color green than the color going to 3rd base?

Also, are we not going to have natural dirt running lanes to the 1st and 3rd base bags?
Daviewolf83
DJncsu13 said:

Interesting to see that video. Does the artificial turf from around home plate to 1st base look like a different color green than the color going to 3rd base?

Also, are we not going to have natural dirt running lanes to the 1st and 3rd base bags?
I absolutely hate the turf look down the first and third baselines and the turf instead of gravel.. Also, looks like a turf home plate area. If so, it is a big step down.
Ellesdad
Why do college teams have turf behind home plate/outside of first and third bases? MLB have dirt in that area, but in college it seems all teams have turf there.

I've always thought it looks so weird. In our case, part of this area is now black, which is even more strange.
Pack31
Daviewolf83 said:

DJncsu13 said:

I absolutely hate the turf look down the first and third baselines and the turf instead of gravel.. Also, looks like a turf home plate area. If so, it is a big step down.

I'm pretty sure they will have dirt around home plate. I agree on the lines, 1st and 3rd. Would prefer dirt as well. Visions of that weird VT field. I'm not a fan at all of the artificial turf. I belive the color difference is just a reflection thing. At least I hope, b/c it does look darker than the rest.
DJncsu13
Pack31 said:

Daviewolf83 said:

DJncsu13 said:

I'm pretty sure they will have dirt around home plate. I agree on the lines, 1st and 3rd. Would prefer dirt as well. Visions of that weird VT field. I'm not a fan at all of the artificial turf. I belive the color difference is just a reflection thing. At least I hope, b/c it does look darker than the rest.
That was my initial thought, but when I noticed the color difference stopped on a 90* angle, and what appears to be a seam in the turf, it made me nervous.
wilmwolf
DJncsu13 said:

I would guess it is the grain in the turf causing the color difference. The grain probably runs away from home plate from where the camera is.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
metcalfmafia
It would be cool if season ticket holders could come in and see the stadium before opening day. Maybe they have that planned, not sure.
JCooke93
Would be nice
Pakbackr
New sod must be loving this rain!
YouPeople
Ellesdad said:

Why do college teams have turf behind home plate/outside of first and third bases? MLB have dirt in that area, but in college it seems all teams have turf there.

I've always thought it looks so weird. In our case, part of this area is now black, which is even more strange.
Keeps down on maintenance of the grass. Lots of standing around in those area...(BP, fungos, etc).

SportManagementEngineer
YouPeople said:

Ellesdad said:

Keeps down on maintenance of the grass. Lots of standing around in those area...(BP, fungos, etc).

Yep, exactly what YP said. I was at Miami's baseball stadium last week and DiMare (UM head baseball coach) was talking about the turf behind home plate being a necessary evil due to maintenance and not having a full time grounds crew to clean up that area that gets so beaten up.
Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
Daviewolf83
YouPeople said:

Ellesdad said:

State has had turf behind home plate for years, for this reason. With the new addition, it appears the dirt area between the back wall and the turf/grass has been replaced with turf, as have the first and third baselines. The first to second and second to third areas are dirt. I am not sure why they decided to expand the turf. Additionally, it appears the home plate area is turf, but this may be temporary.
Pakbackr
No one asked me, but I am gonna raise my hand and say if there is no dirt on the 1st and 3rd base paths, that is a huge idiotic mistake!
Pack87
Really not a fan of not having dirt base paths all the way around and dirt batters area. Seems really odd to do half and half. Home to 1st and 3rd Home turf, and 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd dirt.
rwwalsh
I'd be absolutely shocked if they didn't have all dirt basepath's. All of the stadium renderings have it; it's probably just a work in progress.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.