Improvements at Doak Field (04/18/2024 Doak 2.0) $20MM approved by BOG

191,897 Views | 1061 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by wilmwolf
wilmwolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Field looks great on TV.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
DJncsu13
I'll admit I was wrong and eat some crow. Doak looks very nice. Grass/turf line doesn't look nearly as noticeable and the darker infield dirt matches the turf around the plate and warning track nicely. I still don't love the home plate area not being natural, but I'll get used to it. Go Pack.
"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack"
Follow me on twitter: @d_johnson13/@PackUniforms
wilmwolf
I've just always had faith that as much as Elliott has been behind getting this done, he's not going to let them do something that doesn't look and function the way it's supposed to. It may not be perfect and may not be exactly what every fan thinks it should be, but there was a lot of grief unnecessarily shed over a few pictures of an unfinished product.
FlockaWolf
I can't imagine sliding into a turf area home plate is any fun
Glasswolf
FlockaWolf said:

No worse than a slide in football
pack2010
FlockaWolf said:

yeah it's not bad at all
wilmwolf
It's not like old school astroturf, this stuff is designed specifically for this purpose.
Tom OBriens Smile
FlockaWolf said:

Played on it for soccer in the mountains most my life, in baseball pants especially I cant imagine it being any problem.

Only thing on the field really is I wonder how players handle the transition rounding first to second and third to home. Aesthetically, they have it setup nicely to where it blends well with the grass, and the basepath chalkline sort of helps mask the transition a bit.
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Glasswolf
Wolfer79 said:

Yep! That field looks like ***** No way the natural grass and the turf will work together
Tootie4Pack
Glasswolf said:

Wolfer79 said:

Yep! That field looks like ***** No way the natural grass and the turf will work together
Yes Sir.... the hand wringing that went on for no reason at all. Like Elliott was going to do something half way.
wilmwolf
Glasswolf said:

Wolfer79 said:

Man, I tried to tell em.
Wolfer79
89_Grad
anybody else think the new scoreboard is a little busy? Way too much information and way too small a font (basically, I'd need a set of binoculars to decipher the diagram of who is playing what position on the lower right hand side.

It made me long for the Fenway style manual scoreboard with the numbers on boards...
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
JCooke93
No one better complain about the Doak its a nicer ballpark then the U
Wolfer79
The Georgetown Baseball Campaign received a program-defining challenge gift of $4.8 million to support and enhance scholarship and coaching endowments. This gift will make significant progress towards the overall campaign goal to support three areas of need including coaching, scholarship and facilities.

The impact of enhanced scholarship endowments allows Georgetown to recruit the best and brightest student-athletes to continue their formation and development during their time on the Hilltop. The addition of these scholarships is a transformative shift allowing Hoya baseball to compete with the top programs in the nation.

The challenge gift provides an incentive for other baseball alumni, parents and friends to support the project by collectively raising an additional $5.1 million. With this gift, the program will be able to offer significantly more baseball scholarships with a goal of increasing the overall allotment of scholarships to meet the NCAA maximum number of scholarships if the full challenge is met.

Coaching endowments are a commitment to coaches now and in the future to provide the vital resources needed to recruit and retain the best staff in an increasingly competitive environment. Supporting and investing in the stability of coaches directly impacts the consistent development of a student-athlete.

https://guhoyas.com/news/2023/3/21/georgetown-baseball-campaign-receives-4-8-million-gift.aspx
Pakbackr
I haven't been yet, but Segra Stadium in Fayetteville sounds like the perfect size and design for a major P5 baseball program - https://www.segrastadium.com/

I'm still dreaming of what we might have one day!
johntom
JCooke93 said:

In what ways?
SportManagementEngineer
johntom said:

JCooke93 said:

In what ways?
Been to both many times and they're about the same. Miami has a better (shaded) concourse but State has better seats. Honestly, you'd think they would both have better but Miami's has crappy facilities for everything outside of the new stuff they have for football.
Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
SeaWolf
Question: Did they extend left field with the lowering of the left field wall? I know they moved home plate out to accommodate the larger dugouts, so all of the outfield wall moved out, but I was curious as to whether there was additional movement down the line in left.

Glasswolf
SeaWolf said:

Question: Did they extend left field with the lowering of the left field wall? I know they moved home plate out to accommodate the larger dugouts, so all of the outfield wall moved out, but I was curious as to whether there was additional movement down the line in left.

All the outfield walls were moved out 4ft

BobbyCox95
Now that the playing field, dugouts and scoreboard are done, what's the next "phase"?
metcalfmafia
BobbyCox95 said:

Now that the playing field, dugouts and scoreboard are done, what's the next "phase"?
I believe the Trea Turner / Turner Family? Hitting facility.

Someone can correct me on that.
Wolfer79
BobbyCox95 said:

it appears
https://gopack.com/sports/2021/11/16/pack9stadium

This project will include new or improved:

Competitive Team Performance Spaces
-Locker room
-Team lounge, nutrition and sports medicine
-Weight room
-Batting facility
-Pitching lab
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
89_Grad
Wolfer79 said:

BobbyCox95 said:

it appears
https://gopack.com/sports/2021/11/16/pack9stadium

This project will include new or improved:

Competitive Team Performance Spaces
-Locker room
-Team lounge, nutrition and sports medicine
-Weight room
-Batting facility
-Pitching lab

Anyone know what a pitching lab is?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.