Improvements at Doak Field (04/18/2024 Doak 2.0) $20MM approved by BOG

191,863 Views | 1061 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by wilmwolf
Pakbackr
How long do you want to ignore this user?

***THIS IS NOT REAL...JUST A RENDERING OF HOW IT COULD HAVE BEEN DONE***

Seriously, how hard (and expensive) could this little design element have been to place brown turf down the base paths? As a purist, I know I would have liked it a lot more!
DJncsu13
Pakbackr said:

***THIS IS NOT REAL...JUST A RENDERING OF HOW IT COULD HAVE BEEN DONE***

Seriously, how hard (and expensive) could this little design element have been to place brown turf down the base paths? As a purist, I know I would have liked it a lot more!
Great rendering. This would've been met with a lot less heartache.
"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack"
Follow me on twitter: @d_johnson13/@PackUniforms
Wolfer79
Tootie4Pack
Duke's baseball field ……

Pack31
Tootie4Pack said:

Duke's baseball field ……

Yep, I like the fake brown down the lines. Would break up the artifical green turf from the real thing.
wilmwolf
If the turf in the base path was brown, wouldn't there then be a contrast in color between the brown turf and the other dirt of the infield, and wouldn't we then possibly complain about that? Do the MSU folks have any complaints or feedback about their green base paths, since that is what we copied? Is it possible that there is a functional reason that they didn't want a long seam between two different colors of turf and then the natural grass in that area due to the high traffic? I'm not an expert on turf in the slightest, but I did research it quite a bit when I was considering building a putting green in my backyard and I know sealing the seams together can be tough. Just me taking over here.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
TraCha4
Just play ball. Holly **** we find crazy mess to complain about. We are getting upgrades, let's go! I promise someone has researched it and studied it and there is a reason why it is what it is. Let's just win some baseball games! Damn
Cotten
Pakbackr said:

No one asked me, but I am gonna raise my hand and say if there is no dirt on the 1st and 3rd base paths, that is a huge idiotic mistake!
Agree… the more I see, the more I view this as a downgrade instead of an upgrade. Field looks like a patchwork quilt pieced together over time.
JCooke93
Amen to that
Bell Tower Grey
Cotten said:

Pakbackr said:

No one asked me, but I am gonna raise my hand and say if there is no dirt on the 1st and 3rd base paths, that is a huge idiotic mistake!
Agree… the more I see, the more I view this as a downgrade instead of an upgrade. Field looks like a patchwork quilt pieced together over time.
My sister in law is an avid quilter. I told her what you said then showed her a pic of the mess. She said "I've never turned out anything that bad before".
rbaker
JC how have we looked at practices?
wilmwolf
Cotten said:

Pakbackr said:

Well, to again play devil's advocate, the purpose of redoing the field wasn't about the looks, it was about functionality. So if what they've done drains better, is easier to maintain, more consistent, etc. then it is still an upgrade, regardless of how people feel about the aesthetics. The turf can be changed relatively easily one would think, if the powers that be decide they don't like how the finished product (which we still haven't seen IMO) looks. The work that they did under the surface is the important part.
TraCha4
wilmwolf80 said:

Cotten said:

Pakbackr said:

Well, to again play devil's advocate, the purpose of redoing the field wasn't about the looks, it was about functionality. So if what they've done drains better, is easier to maintain, more consistent, etc. then it is still an upgrade, regardless of how people feel about the aesthetics. The turf can be changed relatively easily one would think, if the powers that be decide they don't like how the finished product (which we still haven't seen IMO) looks. The work that they did under the surface is the important part.

Agreed
Pack31
wilmwolf80 said:

If the turf in the base path was brown, wouldn't there then be a contrast in color between the brown turf and the other dirt of the infield, and wouldn't we then possibly complain about that? Do the MSU folks have any complaints or feedback about their green base paths, since that is what we copied? Is it possible that there is a functional reason that they didn't want a long seam between two different colors of turf and then the natural grass in that area due to the high traffic? I'm not an expert on turf in the slightest, but I did research it quite a bit when I was considering building a putting green in my backyard and I know sealing the seams together can be tough. Just me taking over here.

Likely so on the dirt looks being different, but that pic of Dukes field looks more natural to me than an all green turf look. It's just an opinion. Its not changing anyone's love of the game or the Pack9. I also don't like the look of the MSU field infield turf wise either, so there's that. I'm old school, but get the need to save money in maintenace in the long run. I love the mlb DH now, so I can adapt lol
Beachbum3
Are the plans to begin finishing the renovations immediately after the season ends?
JCooke93
Look good
gopack1979
I was really disappointed with the field until I talked to my guy. here's the cliff notes.
  • This is not the turf your kids play soccer on, it's got cork and olive pits as the base to keep it cooler, the batters boxes are tear out and easily replaced.
  • The players and recruits want this- the surface is true, it provides a better footing, catchers love this, kids are playing on turf more and more today and this is similar to what they play on(only better). When a recruit comes the surface is game ready. You might not think this is a big deal but it is.
  • The dirt is new, this is exactly what 95% of the clay the MLB teams have. Super big deal and will help in footing, when we have any kind of rain and keeping things clean because there's no dust.
  • Give this time, the greens will never match exactly but it will look better.
  • We're not alone- FSU, Coastal, Miss State and many others are doing this
metcalfmafia
gopack1979 said:

I was really disappointed with the field until I talked to my guy. here's the cliff notes.
  • This is not the turf your kids play soccer on, it's got cork and olive pits as the base to keep it cooler, the batters boxes are tear out and easily replaced.
  • The players and recruits want this- the surface is true, it provides a better footing, catchers love this, kids are playing on turf more and more today and this is similar to what they play on(only better). When a recruit comes the surface is game ready. You might not think this is a big deal but it is.
  • The dirt is new, this is exactly what 95% of the clay the MLB teams have. Super big deal and will help in footing, when we have any kind of rain and keeping things clean because there's no dust.

Thanks! Good stuff.
JCooke93
Yup
Pakbackr
gopack1979 said:

This is good stuff. I think many of us would have looked at the whole field work a bit differently if the Athletics department had simply gotten out in front of this by releasing info like this before construction...proactive PR!
DJncsu13
gopack1979 said:

Appreciate the info here. Obviously I've been outspoken on this, but I'll learn to deal with. (mainly because I have no other choice!!)
"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack"
Follow me on twitter: @d_johnson13/@PackUniforms
YouPeople
Speaking as a former player and now coach, the only thing you hate about the turf is not being allowed to spit seeds out on it. At least that is the case on every turf field I've been on recently.

As for the look...I get the need for the turf in foul ground. I just wish the mounds and batter's circle could stay dirt.
Colonel Armstrong
Doesn't look good at all to me but if coaches and players want it, so be it
Formerly King Leary
Alex Gee
Staff
How about a positive turn here.. The LED lights were an awesome upgrade to Carter-Finley. Have to think it will be really cool for homeruns and however they choose to use them for Friday night games at Doak.

I know we will miss Tommy, but the lights really elevated the atmosphere in the moment.

FlockaWolf
Screw Tommy but that game was electric.
wilmwolf
Tom Werme sounded like he was gonna stroke out for a second there. Yeah, I won't miss White, but home runs are cool.
Packsd14me
That brings back bad memories of how we should have been in the NCAA's last year.
JCooke93
Don't know what you all are talking about what a catch by Soles2 vs Miami in RF
Glasswolf
FlockaWolf said:

Wonder how long he will last at 3rd base for LSU?
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

Riddickulous
Glasswolf said:

FlockaWolf said:

He'll be exclusively DH before conference play starts. Hope he sucks tbh.
Glasswolf
Riddickulous said:

Glasswolf said:

FlockaWolf said:

That's my thinking also. And if and when that happens he will look to transfer again lol. I wish him nothing but the best but he's just not a 3rd baseman. He's a DH and always will be
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

CLTWolf
Riddickulous said:

Glasswolf said:

FlockaWolf said:

I doubt it. He's no worse than last year's 3B at LSU, first round pick Jacob Berry. As long as dude is mashing the ball (which he'll do) they'll keep trotting him out to 3rd, IMO. Berry mixed in a few starts at the corner OF spots but they let him boot it around the infield b/c his offense was that good. I imagine they'll do the same with Tommy.
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
Alex Gee
Staff

FlockaWolf
What's a coach to do when they get thrown out a game and can't kick dirt over home plate?
wilmwolf
Looks to me like they've rolled or raked the turf which has flattened out the blades and gotten rid of the harsher color differences between the pieces from the grain direction. Kinda like I said would happen. Once the grass greens up there will be much less contrast between it and the turf as well.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.