Improvements at Doak Field (04/18/2024 Doak 2.0) $20MM approved by BOG

209,242 Views | 1115 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by MoCoWolf
JCooke93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I agree
matracey
wroncsu said:

Yes. Was told to call to speak with someone. I did so. They explained some of the issues behind the delays - which I again totally understand.

But when there's been questions for years about when Doak Field renovations would occur, and then after the project is officially announced in 2022 - they go 16 months between 2023-2024 without any official word from the department or WPC - that's really disappointing. I mean, the tracker on the website still says $14.4M has been raised and hasn't been updated in over a year. A simple, "we ran into some issues, there won't be any updates prior to 2024, and we'll send a detailed message with an estimated timeline and fundraising update after the season" would have gone a long way. Instead, we heard nothing for over a year, and then got a message after the last home game of the year that didn't include any notable info other than they hope to be done before 2026.

Fans shouldn't have to be calling and emailing the WPC to try and get updates on what's happening with $ they're willingly donating or are obligated to donate with season ticket purchases. Basic communication with the people giving you $ for a specific project is a pretty tame ask IMO.
Just a difference of opinion here I guess but I would say they have been giving basic communication. They got Phase 1 done almost immediately and on time of when they said they would. Phase 2 was delayed but because we raised too much money and the new plan had to be approved by the NC BOG which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'll take the delay if it means more money. And now they sent out the message Phase 2 will now start that the home season is over and the complete project is to be done before the 2026 season. That to me is basic communication. I would expect, as a fan who donates some but not a ton to the baseball program, that yes I would have to call or email the WPC to get more detail than that. Now if you're a fan who's donated thousands/millions of dollars to the project than yes I would expect more than that and maybe that applies to you in which case that is a fair concern. But just as a general fan who donates a small amount towards the baseball program I think they've done their due diligence.
Nairo
Communication with stakeholders is not a strong suit of this athletics department. It costs nothing and takes very little effort to draft and send an email.
matracey
Nairo said:

Communication with stakeholders is not a strong suit of this athletics department. It costs nothing and takes very little effort to draft and send an email.

Because of different circumstances I've been a donor to both the University of Michigan and the University of Florida. NC State's communication is on par or better than both of those. Maybe it's because I've donated more to State than I ever will to those schools but that's my experience.
wroncsu
I've heard different things as to why Phase 2 was ultimately delayed other than "we raised too much money", I just haven't heard those things stated publicly by the WPC or athletic department.

If you ask fans/donors to help raise $15M, and then have a Doak Field enhancement tax on season tickets in 2023 and 2024, I don't think it's outrageous to expect a more frequent update than every 16 months. I'm not some huge donor that expects a personal call or email, but for the 13 month period starting January 2022, they sent out mass emails about the project, and launched a project update page that included tweets with construction videos, YouTube videos, fundraising milestone graphics, etc. But that same page has now sat totally unchanged for the 16 months following February 2023. Since that time, we haven't even promoted the project to the fanbase trying to solicit additional donations aside from the season ticket fee and a sign on the back of the press box at Doak.

If we raised too much money, the online update page still shows the current fundraising status as $14.4M from February 2023. And none of the few details from the email sent by the WPC last week are even reflected on that page.
Pack87
Does anyone know if the ticket tax will continue in 2025? Also I don't like how they keep upping the renewal dates. August 1st for a season that doesn't start til February. Football December 1st for the next fall and basketball May 1st for a November start. They aren't even printing tickets anymore so they don't need that much lead time.
Sknarf
Pack87 said:

Does anyone know if the ticket tax will continue in 2025? Also I don't like how they keep upping the renewal dates. August 1st for a season that doesn't start til February. Football December 1st for the next fall and basketball May 1st for a November start. They aren't even printing tickets anymore so they don't need that much lead time.

They just sent out season ticket renewal for baseball within the last week, I did not see the Doak Field Renovation fund fee on there but I believe the season ticket price went up. Last year's tickets were $199 for the season but I believe 2025 season tickets are $315.
JCooke93
It's on their unfortunately
Nairo
It's almost like we have McKinsey Consulting advising our Athletics Department

Pack87 said:

BobbyCox95
I'm all about phase 2 being player focused. No objection from me. But at this pace, phase 3 should begin around 2028 and the money's already been raised. That's unacceptable to me. Poor Avent, whose long overdue for respectable baseball facilities won't be around to see it thru.

I've been screaming for years (like many others) that if you put a capital campaign in front of us and gave us a vision, Wolfpack fans would come thru in a big way. For some reason, our previous administrations had no desire to do so and we've been stuck with a Great Value branded baseball stadium for years. For the life of me I can't figure out why we didn't start this whole process 15-20 years ago. People assumed we were too cheap and wouldn't raise the money maybe?

I wish we would set the capital campaign at 40 or 50 million and Add a couple more phases. As the money is raised for each phase, then you start the project. It may take 10 years to raise that much but can you imagine the final product? Avent, team and fans deserve so much better than they've gotten from NC State when it comes to financial commitment for baseball. Of all the teams hosting regionals this year, our stadium was the crappiest, by far.
JCooke93
Hopefully they will be working this summer
matracey
BobbyCox95 said:

I'm all about phase 2 being player focused. No objection from me. But at this pace, phase 3 should begin around 2028 and the money's already been raised. That's unacceptable to me. Poor Avent, whose long overdue for respectable baseball facilities won't be around to see it thru.

I've been screaming for years (like many others) that if you put a capital campaign in front of us and gave us a vision, Wolfpack fans would come thru in a big way. For some reason, our previous administrations had no desire to do so and we've been stuck with a Great Value branded baseball stadium for years. For the life of me I can't figure out why we didn't start this whole process 15-20 years ago. People assumed we were too cheap and wouldn't raise the money maybe?

I wish we would set the capital campaign at 40 or 50 million and Add a couple more phases. As the money is raised for each phase, then you start the project. It may take 10 years to raise that much but can you imagine the final product? Avent, team and fans deserve so much better than they've gotten from NC State when it comes to financial commitment for baseball. Of all the teams hosting regionals this year, our stadium was the crappiest, by far.
Phase 3 will be done before the 2026 season. Not sure where you got 2028 from.

Definitely should have been started like ten years ago after the 2013 Omaha run but 20 years ago we didn't really have anything to sell. 2000-2002 we missed the tournament completely 3 straight years then made a super regional in 2003 then didn't make another super regional until 2008.
BobbyCox95
matracey said:

BobbyCox95 said:

Definitely should have been started like ten years ago after the 2013 Omaha run but 20 years ago we didn't really have anything to sell. 2000-2002 we missed the tournament completely 3 straight years then made a super regional in 2003 then didn't make another super regional until 2008.
I was guessing 2028. Where did you see before 2026 season? That's a year and 1/2 from now, I don't see that happening.

I don't think we necessarily had to "sell" anything for fans to realize we had a cheap stadium and were way behind the competition. We didn't have a whole lot to sell football-wise in 2001 when we began rebuilding our entire football facilities but fans went all in on that. Remember the "Goal-Line Drive" that started in 2001? I remember seeing brochures in the mail my dad got with renderings of a new stadium before 2000.

Point is State fans step up and if we would have started this 15-20 years ago, we'd already have respectable facilities. But instead, here we are.
JCooke93
Wolfpack Club email
matracey
BobbyCox95 said:

matracey said:

BobbyCox95 said:

I was guessing 2028. Where did you see before 2026 season? That's a year and 1/2 from now, I don't see that happening.

I don't think we necessarily had to "sell" anything for fans to realize we had a cheap stadium and were way behind the competition. We didn't have a whole lot to sell football-wise in 2001 when we began rebuilding our entire football facilities but fans went all in on that. Remember the "Goal-Line Drive" that started in 2001? I remember seeing brochures in the mail my dad got with renderings of a new stadium before 2000.

Point is State fans step up and if we would have started this 15-20 years ago, we'd already have respectable facilities. But instead, here we are.
They sent out an email from Ben Broussard after the regional ended saying that Phase 2 would start now that the season at the Doak was over and that they planned to have the whole project completed before the 2026 season.

Comparing football to baseball is apples to oranges in my opinion but yes I agree it should have been done before now.
JCooke93
100% and don't even get me started on the Wolfpack Club
BobbyCox95
matracey said:

BobbyCox95 said:

matracey said:

BobbyCox95 said:

They sent out an email from Ben Broussard after the regional ended saying that Phase 2 would start now that the season at the Doak was over and that they planned to have the whole project completed before the 2026 season.

Comparing football to baseball is apples to oranges in my opinion but yes I agree it should have been done before now.
Gotcha. I haven't read the email yet. I think having the entire project completed in the next 18-19 months is pretty optimistic.
Nairo
When you're erecting a small awning or two, setting out a couple of picnic tables and some concrete slabs on the berm, 18 months sounds about right

BobbyCox95 said:

matracey said:

BobbyCox95 said:

matracey said:

BobbyCox95 said:

I'm all about phase 2 being player focused. No objection from me. But at this pace, phase 3 should begin around 2028 and the money's already been raised. That's unacceptable to me. Poor Avent, who's long overdue for respectable baseball facilities won't be around to see it thru.

Gotcha. I haven't read the email yet. I think having the entire project completed in the next 18-19 months is pretty optimistic.
Jtilley
BobbyCox95 said:

matracey said:

BobbyCox95 said:

Once UNC did the Bosh that should have been a huge indicator IMO.

They also did the right thing by just playing a year at USA baseball to speed up the process.
Nairo
VT, Clemson and many of our regional peers all have 8 or 9 figure capital fundraising campaigns recently completed or underway, and we continue to do sport-specific one off campaigns. I don't understand the strategy, especially amidst the most successful couple of years in over a generation. We should be raising ass loads of money off of it.

Jtilley said:

BobbyCox95 said:

matracey said:

BobbyCox95 said:

I'm all about phase 2 being player focused. No objection from me. But at this pace, phase 3 should begin around 2028 and the money's already been raised. That's unacceptable to me. Poor Avent, who's long overdue for respectable baseball facilities won't be around to see it thru.

They also did the right thing by just playing a year at USA baseball to speed up the process.

BobbyCox95
Nairo said:

VT, Clemson and many of our regional peers all have 8 or 9 figure capital fundraising campaigns recently completed or underway, and we continue to do sport-specific one off campaigns. I don't understand the strategy, especially amidst the most successful couple of years in over a generation. We should be raising ass loads of money off of it.

Jtilley said:

BobbyCox95 said:

matracey said:

BobbyCox95 said:

I don't understand the strategy either. I think part of the problem is that we went from the mid 60's to almost 2000 without any real facility builds or upgrades and that put us behind for decades. We've spent a lot on facilities the past 25 years just trying to catch up. I don't know that we'll ever be able to get ahead.
Jtilley
BobbyCox95 said:

Nairo said:

Jtilley said:

BobbyCox95 said:

matracey said:

BobbyCox95 said:

I don't understand the strategy either. I think part of the problem is that we went from the mid 60's to almost 2000 without any real facility builds or upgrades and that put us behind for decades. We've spent a lot on facilities the past 25 years just trying to catch up. I don't know that we'll ever be able to get ahead.
Just off the top of my head: Baseball stadium, mens basketball practice, wrestling practice, soccer, swimming have all been mentioned for needed upgrades.

By the time you even get around to finishing those something else will be due.
Pack87
Unfortunately the improvements, at least the ones that will be visual, seem underwhelming with no actual increase in seating. I don't have a problem with player enhancements but if seating can't be increased in the current location it was shortsighted to spend that money here and not get a long term plan.
MoCoWolf
Just FYI that current players are telling people they have been told that Phase 2 will not happen this offseason and that it will have to wait until next offseason.

Don't shoot the messenger, but that is what some current players are telling folks.
Sknarf
If true, that would be the least shocking news given how poorly they have communicated since starting the Doak Enjancement Fund. Have serious doubts about the 2026 finish date.
JCooke93
Typical Bo ugh
matracey
MoCoWolf said:

Just FYI that current players are telling people they have been told that Phase 2 will not happen this offseason and that it will have to wait until next offseason.

Don't shoot the messenger, but that is what some current players are telling folks.
I've been told they are already started with utilities
BobbyCox95
MoCoWolf said:

Like I said, NO way Doak looks like what we've seen in the renderings in the next 18 months.
BobbyCox95
Pack87 said:

Unfortunately the improvements, at least the ones that will be visual, seem underwhelming with no actual increase in seating. I don't have a problem with player enhancements but if seating can't be increased in the current location it was shortsighted to spend that money here and not get a long term plan.
Couldn't seating be increased just by extending the seating further down each baseline if that was the main goal? The batting/pitching facility could be behind the left field wall.

I really want it to look like the previous rendering with the overhang and the second level but I can't give enough to have a say so in the matter.
JCooke93
Awesome
MoCoWolf
matracey said:

MoCoWolf said:

I've been told they are already started with utilities
Hope you are right and the players are wrong.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.