Improvements at Doak Field (04/18/2024 Doak 2.0) $20MM approved by BOG

209,559 Views | 1115 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by MoCoWolf
matracey
How long do you want to ignore this user?

So there was a money issue. We raised too much money the new plan had to be approved again haha
metcalfmafia
Anyone know if there are additional things being added with this change or did costs go up 5 mil?
78wilsonpack
metcalfmafia said:

Anyone know if there are additional things being added with this change or did costs go up 5 mil?
This is only a guess but I'm almost sure it's the costs have gone up. It's shocking how much construction costs have risen.
matracey
metcalfmafia said:

"Along with the original plans laid out for the Doak Field facelift, there will be new additions planned for the final two phases. PP has confirmed there will also be an additional improvements made to the stadium through the extra influx of money to the project, which are expected to be announced later."

So sounds like yes but don't know what they are yet
metcalfmafia
matracey said:

metcalfmafia said:

"Along with the original plans laid out for the Doak Field facelift, there will be new additions planned for the final two phases. PP has confirmed there will also be an additional improvements made to the stadium through the extra influx of money to the project, which are expected to be announced later."

So sounds like yes but don't know what they are yet
Awesome! Thanks man. Curious what those will be!
matracey
I know this would never happen but we should have directed like half that extra $5M towards NIL for the baseball team. Would have a stacked roster.
tau06
78wilsonpack said:

metcalfmafia said:

This is only a guess but I'm almost sure it's the costs have gone up. It's shocking how much construction costs have risen.

In general, it is amazing how little state and government gets out of huge amounts of $$$
Nairo
Excellent news. The original renovation plans were underwhelming in my opinion, but the extraordinary success of the department and efforts from Corrigan and Broussard should be commended to outperform on the fundraising. I think Doak can and should be a crown jewel facility that welcomes fans, students and alumni back to campus for lots of occasions under great spring weather. Let's go!

Things I'd like to see:

- awning over the main grandstands that is erected and extends over the concessions concourse
- raised platform seating in the outfield connected to the beer garden in left field
- tear down the press box and rebuild above seating to expand capacity behind home plate

The latter is probably not feasible with the available funding.
I40Wolf
Nairo said:

Excellent news. The original renovation plans were underwhelming in my opinion, but the extraordinary success of the department and efforts from Corrigan and Broussard should be commended to outperform on the fundraising. I think Doak can and should be a crown jewel facility that welcomes fans, students and alumni back to campus for lots of occasions under great spring weather. Let's go!

Things I'd like to see:

- awning over the main grandstands that is erected and extends over the concessions concourse
- raised platform seating in the outfield connected to the beer garden in left field
- tear down the press box and rebuild above seating to expand capacity behind home plate

They did install bar tables on both concourses a few weeks ago.
Northernpack11
Nairo said:

Things I'd like to see:

We had that option but I heard avent wanted a facility near Carter Finley. So we ended up with nothing in typical nc state fashion.

Nairo
Those concepts look great. Is that the plan? If so, hell yeah.

Northernpack11 said:

Nairo said:

Things I'd like to see:

We had that option but I heard avent wanted a facility near Carter Finley. So we ended up with nothing in typical nc state fashion.

wilmwolf
This thread is a game of telephone, but there have been multiple discussions throughout these pages about why certain things that people want weren't feasible at the current site. I'm just thankful renovations are happening and thankful they've raised more money than anticipated.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
The Gatekeeper.
metcalfmafia
Anyone hearing any rumors on what the additions to the plans are?
I40Wolf
metcalfmafia said:

Nope
MoCoWolf
metcalfmafia said:

The only real concrete one is the addition of a live wolves pen directly adjacent to the opposing team's bullpen, but thats it.
JCooke93
What's that ?
gopack1979
Those were the plans from about 10 years ago. Don't get wrapped around the axel on those, the new plans are nothing like them. No idea what they'll do with the extra funds, in reality the project we had may wind up costing more anyway due to inflation. The only changes I know of are there won't be any grills down the first base line.
WarrenPeace
MoCoWolf said:

metcalfmafia said:

The only real concrete one is the addition of a live wolves pen directly adjacent to the opposing team's bullpen, but thats it.

Damn straight
Pakbackr
Those plans from 10 years ago should be dusted off and revisited! That would represent a significant step up from the current 'lipstick on a pig' strategy!
Pakbackr
I read in the Triangle Business Journal that Canes owner, Tom Dundon would like to build a ballpark near the State Fairgrounds and PNC, as part of a plan to acquire a MLB franchise for the Triangle. I know of no college teams that also call a MLB park home, and I doubt it is even a consideration to share. But it would be awesome to have access to a park like that for the ACCT or the occasional series with high-profile teams!
JCooke93
Wolfpack Club just sent a email about phase two today and sounds like it will be done by 2026
Wolfer79
JCooke93 said:

Wolfpack Club just sent a email about phase two today and sounds like it will be done by 2026

Thank you
JCooke93
Your welcome
78wilsonpack
Pakbackr said:

I read in the Triangle Business Journal that Canes owner, Tom Dundon would like to build a ballpark near the State Fairgrounds and PNC, as part of a plan to acquire a MLB franchise for the Triangle. I know of no college teams that also call a MLB park home, and I doubt it is even a consideration to share. But it would be awesome to have access to a park like that for the ACCT or the occasional series with high-profile teams!

Will never happen but this is my thoughts on MLB and Dundon. He needs to approach Kane and the guy who owns the soccer club. In a joint venture change the downtown soccer facility that was to be funded by taxpayers into the location for the baseball stadium. The land has been set aside. You have 2 additional wealthy partners and tax $ that have been set aside for a stadium, only originally soccer but why not baseball. Kane has a development plan in mind already. The stadium should have decent views of downtown skyline.
Anyway, my pie in the sky dream.
Pakbackr
I wish they would tell us what the additions to the plan are...anyone know?
JCooke93
Me too
Wolfer79
https://georgiadogs.com/sports/2023/8/16/facility-foley-field

The current $45 million renovation of Foley Field will continue to elevate both the player and fan experience at UGA's baseball facilities. Many of the improvements to Foley Field will be made along the left field line and will include a new pitching lab and hitting tunnels, coaches' offices and other amenities. In terms of fan amenities, there will be multiple new premium spaces as well as enhanced fan experiences throughout the venue. The project is slated to be completed by the start of the 2025 season.
Pbacker
Folks unfortunately it is an arms race in baseball just like it is in football and we are being lapped. If we had adopted the plans from 10 years ago who knows where the program could have been by now. Sad but true, money is the only thing that can keep programs at the top consistently and that spread will only get worse with time. Just look at the numbers being thrown around for baseball renovations at other schools. We are not in the same area at all. We are just doing the best that we can and that is pretty darn good from what I see with the results.
metcalfmafia
So we raised 5 million over goal but the plans are remaining the same?
Pakbackr
Looking back at the renderings from 10+ years ago, I contend that vision is still possible. Other than replacing the seats, nothing in the current plans impact the seating area or main concourse area; all the primary construction is taking place at the ends of the main stands. In fact, I wonder if the current upgrades - which take away the bleacher seats and change the nature of the grassy hill seats - might actually reduce the seating capacity of Doak. One could argue that future enhancements are necessary, sooner rather than later, just to boost capacity. As we saw from the demand for regional tickets, we could have put a lot more people in Doak if we just had more capacity.

I'd like to ask EA or anyone in the know, if there is a glimmer of hope that that original vision might still be on the table for the future. If so, I think Doak could be one of the premiere stadiums in the ACC. And I never thought I'd say that!
Glasswolf
Pakbackr said:

I wish they would tell us what the additions to the plan are...anyone know?
The next phase as far as I know are still player amenities.

Competitive Team Performance Spaces
-Locker room
-Team lounge, nutrition and sports medicine
-Weight room
-Batting facility
-Pitching lab
wroncsu
This entire "renovation" has been incredibly disappointing IMO.

For the timeline on this:
  • November 2021: They're supposed to announce it at a football game in November 2021, but it gets pushed.
  • January 2022: Doak renovation announcement is made.
  • February 2023: The last update about construction & fundraising progress prior to the 2023 season is provided by the athletics department/WPC. The 2023 season then begins and many of the initial improvements are seen for the first time.
  • January 2024 NIL Event: No mention whatsoever of the Doak renovations or where fundraising stands.
  • February 2024: 2024 season gets underway, nothing has been done since the end of the 2023 season - and there's still no communication from the athletics department or WPC.
  • April 2024: There's a tweet that says the NC BOG approved an increase from $15M to $20M for the project's budget.
  • June 2024: Pack9 makes a Super Regional and we get an update from Ben Broussard via email that doesn't provide much of any details other than utility work will be done soon and they hope to have these renovations completed prior to the 2026 season.
About 16 months went by between updates provided by the athletics department or the WPC. I get that things change, go wrong, etc. as financial conditions change and issues are encountered, but people have been waiting for Doak Field renovations for over a decade. The initial plans announced in January 2022 were welcome given that something was happening, but this renovation plan would've still left Doak far behind many conference opponents at its completion. But continuing to ask for more $ from the fans - and keeping a Doak Field renovation tax on season tickets - without even bothering to communicate with the fans for over a year is really frustrating IMO.
matracey
Did you try to get in contact with someone from the athletics department or WPC during this timeline to ask about updates?
wroncsu
Yes. Was told to call to speak with someone. I did so. They explained some of the issues behind the delays - which I again totally understand.

But when there's been questions for years about when Doak Field renovations would occur, and then after the project is officially announced in 2022 - they go 16 months between 2023-2024 without any official word from the department or WPC - that's really disappointing. I mean, the tracker on the website still says $14.4M has been raised and hasn't been updated in over a year. A simple, "we ran into some issues, there won't be any updates prior to 2024, and we'll send a detailed message with an estimated timeline and fundraising update after the season" would have gone a long way. Instead, we heard nothing for over a year, and then got a message after the last home game of the year that didn't include any notable info other than they hope to be done before 2026.

Fans shouldn't have to be calling and emailing the WPC to try and get updates on what's happening with $ they're willingly donating or are obligated to donate with season ticket purchases. Basic communication with the people giving you $ for a specific project is a pretty tame ask IMO.
JCooke93
Love it

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.