Grilling Thread

139,403 Views | 1158 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by Seawolf2010
JocoPack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Realized I hadn't updated the thread in a while...also it's a 2019 grilling thread so I decided to start a new one that isn't dated. Been grilling even more than usual lately due to the Rona. Got a couple of ribeyes marinating in KC Masterpiece steakhouse marinade for tonight. Gonna throw them on the Grill Grates(highly recommend) on my egg tonight for a few minutes on each side.
It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.
packgrad
Tried to cook some filets last night for my wife and me. Realized after the grill was already fired up and almost ready that one of the Filets didn't look that great. Pulled a ribeye out of the freezer and cooked it from frozen. First time I've done that. Shockingly turned out quite tender and very good. I seared it for about 4 minutes on each side. I had some onions cooking on the other half of my KJ. Moved the ribeye over there and set on top of bed of onions so outside wouldn't sear anymore but would still cook through. Tossed her filet and some asparagus on and after a few minutes had a damn fine dinner.

Tonight cooking some chicken breasts, onions and peppers on the KJ and making fajitas.
JocoPack
Sounds good! I'm gonna make a foil pack for some asparagus tonight as a side. Gonna coat them in some harissa olive oil and some salt, pepper, garlic.
Bell Tower Grey
We have shrimp and scallops about to go on the charcoal. Corn on the cob, garlic bread and salad. Some brown liquor will also be involved.
JocoPack
You had me at the scallops lol
ncsupack1
Grilled some nice ribeye last night. Today I'm thinking wings on the Weber....nothing fancy.
Mormad
Just ordered grill grates for the BGE. Thanks for the tip.
JocoPack
The first time you do steaks on them, watch the time. Those things somehow get about 200 degrees hotter than the grill surface.
packgrad
Venison burgers tonight
Bell Tower Grey
ncsupack1 said:

Grilled some nice ribeye last night. Today I'm thinking wings on the Weber....nothing fancy.
I'm grilling pizza later this afternoon. I get dough balls from my friend that has a nearby pizza joint. Mix some AP flour and corn meal and dust the pizza stone, throw it on the grill to get hot, then add the pies.

Doing an all meat with pepperoni, hamburger, bacon and country ham with a pesto base and Italian cheese; and a traditional .margherita with homemade sauce (roasted tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, salt), mozzarella, parmesan and basil.
Mormad
Bell Tower Grey said:

ncsupack1 said:

I'm grilling pizza later this afternoon. I get dough balls from my friend that has a nearby pizza joint. Mix some AP flour and corn meal and dust the pizza stone, throw it on the grill to get hot, then add the pies.

Doing an all meat with pepperoni, hamburger, bacon and country ham with a pesto base and Italian cheese; and a traditional .margherita with homemade sauce (roasted tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, salt), mozzarella, parmesan and basil.

Good Lord that sounds amazing. If you have the energy, can you share the sauce recipe please?
Mormad
JocoPack said:

The first time you do steaks on them, watch the time. Those things somehow get about 200 degrees hotter than the grill surface.

I usually do 2 minutes on each side at 600+ then close the air flow and bake in the first side for 2-5 minutes depending on thickness of steak and wellness I want. What's your rec?
ncsupack1
Bell Tower Grey said:

ncsupack1 said:

That sounds awesome! I would love to do home made pizza on the grill, but I can't find any great dough. Let us know how it goes.....pics to...lol
Mormad
Most pizza places will sell dough to you I think
ncsupack1
Cool...had no idea...I guess I've never thought about asking. Thanks.
JocoPack
With the grates and the egg at 500+ I do 1:30 then turn it 45 degrees for the crosshatch. 3 minutes per side gets me a nice med rare. Those things will cook a pork chop too.

Got two racks of baby backs on the egg smoking right now. Homemade BBQ sauce and meat church AP seasoning gonna go on them. Using hickory wood. Usually like to do spare ribs cut down to St. Louis but this was all the Food Tiger had and my favorite local grocery store(Town Market of Pine Level) is closed on Sundays.
Mormad
Awesome, thanks! Come in 2 days. I can't wait!
JocoPack
I promise you those things changed my steak game. Perfect crosshatch marks and the temp increase is amazing. You will not be disappointed!
Bell Tower Grey
Mormad said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

ncsupack1 said:

Good Lord that sounds amazing. If you have the energy, can you share the sauce recipe please?

The sauce: Slice in half and roast the tomatoes and garlic bulb. When done, skin the tomatoes and loosely chop the tomatoes and garlic together. I put that mixture into a pot, along with a splash of red wine, some olive oil, a tsp of sugar and a pinch or two of kosher salt. Bring it to a boil, cool, then use an immersion blender to mix. Strain the finished product and use for pizza sauce. *It will keep in the refrigerator for three days - I know, because it's all usually gone by then.

The pizzas turned out great. Sorry, forgot about pics until I was settled in after eating. I"ll try to remember next time.
Bell Tower Grey
JoCo, how do you like the KC Masterpiece steak marinade? I've never been a big fan of their products, but admittedly, have only tried their "bbq" sauce.
JocoPack
Their BBQ sauce ain't for crap. However, get the steakhouse marinade and coat your steaks in that along with a good dousing of McCormick Montreal Steak seasoning. I could eat that marinade and seasoning by the spoon full.
pack95
Grilled burgers tonight. Nothing special but they were good. The onion rings, on the other hand, were top notch. Made two pounds of deer jerky as well.
JocoPack
Oh man some good deer jerky is something I haven't had in a while.
Tootie4Pack
I'll recommend a rub to y'all that you may not have tried. By Vivian Howard. Called Red Eye Coffee Rub. It is great on steaks. The coffee gives it a unique taste. I highly recommend it. I've tried the other rubs and they are good, but to me and my son and my father, this is even better.

Also, I get our steaks at the Acre Station Meat Farm in
Pinetown in Beaufort County. They raise their own hogs and their pork products are always good. They get their beef from Gates County , grass fed. Good stuff !!
kbdavis33
Gonna do some venison over the next few weeks. Anyone got a rub/marinade they like on tenderloins?
packgrad
I like just salt and pepper. Coat it with a little oil. Add S&P to your liking. Put a couple tbsp of butter in a hot skillet and sear on all sides a couple minutes per side. When searing the last side toss in some minced shallots, fresh thyme, and a whole clove of garlic smashed. Transfer to hot oven preheated to 375. Cook until internal temp gets to 125. Pull from oven. Remove loin from pan. Put pan back on burner. Deglaze with about a 1/2 cup of balsamic vinegar and a half cup of beef broth or chicken broth. Reduce until it looks like a thin syrup. Toss a tbsp of butter in and remove from heat. Remove the rhyme stick and any large chunks of garlic remaining. Slice the loin to your desired thickness. Pour glaze over the top of each plated piece. Enjoy.
Bell Tower Grey
Tootie, I'm looking up that Red Eye Coffee Rub. Thanks for mentioning it.

I grilled 2 whole chickens tonight. Kept them over the coals to let the skin get crispy, then basted them with Scott's sauce every 5 - 10 minutes till I got them looking the way I wanted. Wife made baked beans, salad and yeast rolls to go with it.

Had enough chicken left over to make some chicken salad, including the skin, for 3 or 4 sandwiches the next day or so.
Tootie4Pack
Bell Tower we found the Red Eye Rub at Lowe's Foods.

BTW, your grilled chicken sounds delicious. Using grilled chicken in chicken salad can take it to another level. And fresh chicken salad on your favorite type of fresh bread or cracker is hard to beat.
wilmwolf
Boneless pork ribs tonight. Not my favorite, but I bought a big package of them when things started getting crazy. Going to brine them for a few hours. I like adding a touch of apple cider vinegar to the brine to get a little of that flavor, and it helps to tenderize a little bit. After that will just be a simple rub and low heat on the grill. These boneless ones are easy to overcook, which is why I'm not normally a fan, but they should be good.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
pack95
JocoPack said:

made two more pounds last night of different flavor
kbdavis33
pack95 said:

JocoPack said:

made two more pounds last night of different flavor

Oh, hadn't thought of doing that. Will be doing it now haha
FlossyDFlynt
Made this last weekend, one of my favorite meals

Pepper Stout Beef

Trying to figure out if anything is on the weekend docket, otherwise will do some other long cook this weekend
wnosaj83
I did a tri tip for the first time last weekend. Amazing flavor, highly recommended if you can find one.
Mormad
Tri tips are amazing

Grilling prime rib eyes on the new grill grates tonight
ncsupack1
Not today related, but this weekend is gonna be smoked ribs...got two nice racks waiting.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.