Amazon/Netflix series recommendations

125,683 Views | 1044 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by statefan91
Tootie4Pack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I highly recommend Longmire on Netflix.

I know This thread is long and it may have been mentioned before , but Longmire is one of the best dramas that I've seen over the past few years.

I got hooked on it when it started on A&E, then after season 3, when A&E stopped original programming, Netflix picked up the final 3 seasons. Great writing , an outstanding cast. A modern day Western set in Wyoming.

Is now on the cable channel The Circle every weeknight at 7:00 pm ( The Circle is channel # 153 on Spectrum in Wake County). I've gotten re-energized watching the series again.
CLTWolf
Tootie4Pack said:

I know This thread is long and it may have been mentioned before , but Longmire is one of the best dramas that I've seen over the past few years.

I got hooked on it when it started on A&E, then after season 3, when A&E stopped original programming, Netflix picked up the final 3 seasons. Great writing , an outstanding cast. A modern day Western set in Wyoming.

Is now on the cable channel The Circle every weeknight at 7:00 pm ( The Circle is channel # 153 on Spectrum in Wake County). I've gotten re-energized watching the series again.
Longmire was GREAT!
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
jadawson
5 episodes into Rings of Power and my interest is starting to wane a bit. The plot seems to be moving forward at a glacial pace. I'm going to give it a full season but Amazon looks like they have a chance at going 0/2 on big budget high fantasy series in the past year with this and the Wheel of Time series.

House of the Dragon on the otherhand grabbed my interest from episode 1 and hasn't let go. I could have a few nitpicks of course (you could maybe say its a bit rushed with all the time jumps) but overall its been a well written and very well acted series.
FlossyDFlynt
Finally got around to the first three episodes of Andor. I am a bit of a Star Wars fan, but I really enjoyed the departure from the Star Wars normal. Its not like anything else they have done, but so far I am really liking the direction its going.
statefan91
jadawson said:

5 episodes into Rings of Power and my interest is starting to wane a bit. The plot seems to be moving forward at a glacial pace. I'm going to give it a full season but Amazon looks like they have a chance at going 0/2 on big budget high fantasy series in the past year with this and the Wheel of Time series.

House of the Dragon on the otherhand grabbed my interest from episode 1 and hasn't let go. I could have a few nitpicks of course (you could maybe say its a bit rushed with all the time jumps) but overall its been a well written and very well acted series.
Same - I find myself on my phone a decent amount with Rings of Power, which is disappointing because I want it to be successful. House of the Dragon has been great though, agreed.
statefan91
FlossyDFlynt said:

Finally got around to the first three episodes of Andor. I am a bit of a Star Wars fan, but I really enjoyed the departure from the Star Wars normal. Its not like anything else they have done, but so far I am really liking the direction its going.
Rogue One is my favorite of recent movies so I'm expecting I'll like it when I get to it.
jkpackfan
The new Dahmer series on Netflix is very disturbing but it's well done. Definitely worth a watch if you're into that kind of stuff.
FlossyDFlynt
statefan91 said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

Rogue One is my favorite of recent movies so I'm expecting I'll like it when I get to it.
Id say watch the first three in one sitting. The pacing was a bit off and feels like it should have been one long episode. It starts slowish with a decent chunk of world building, but picks up as it goes on. Its definitely unlike anything Star Wars has done so far, but really enjoying it
Packchem91
Tootie4Pack said:

Longmire was my intro to streaming a few years ago. Such a well done, enjoyable show. I actually need to restart it at some point
Tootie4Pack
Packchem91 said:

Tootie4Pack said:

Longmire was my intro to streaming a few years ago. Such a well done, enjoyable show. I actually need to restart it at some point

Yes ! I'm up to season 4 now , about half way thru. Watching it over again reminds me of how good a show that it is.
Packchem91
Tootie4Pack said:

Packchem91 said:

Tootie4Pack said:

Yes ! I'm up to season 4 now , about half way thru. Watching it over again reminds me of how good a show that it is.
And to your point, when it went over to Netflix, they added about 15 minutes per episode, and it became even better. And put it in that scenery.....just too easy to watch.
Steve Williams
Staff
I've been watching The 100 on Netflix. Probably not for everyone but I've really enjoyed it.
smitt86
Steve Williams said:

I've been watching The 100 on Netflix. Probably not for everyone but I've really enjoyed it.
I enjoyed that series, but it does get a little bit out there the longer it goes on. Something tells me they never expected it to last 7 seasons when they started it, haha.
griff17matt
House of the Dragon is going to be interesting. The thing that really has me keeping the faith is the show runner is a huge nerd for the entire book franchise. It's gonna be tough though. This was part of Fire and Blood and maybe only 150 pages of that or so. And they're gonna have to get 2-3 seasons out of that. Not sure they can unless they dig into what happens after the main events happen. Season 2 will be worth it 100%.
Sierrawolf
I tried to watch it but the graphics or something were funky on my TV. Looked like everything was shimmering, and couldn't see any of the background graphics. I'm assuming nobody else has had this issue.
smitt86
griff17matt said:

House of the Dragon is going to be interesting. The thing that really has me keeping the faith is the show runner is a huge nerd for the entire book franchise. It's gonna be tough though. This was part of Fire and Blood and maybe only 150 pages of that or so. And they're gonna have to get 2-3 seasons out of that. Not sure they can unless they dig into what happens after the main events happen. Season 2 will be worth it 100%.
Biggest concern is the one of the 2 show runners already quit and is out moving forward. Hopefully it was the other guy you had the faith in, haha.
griff17matt
smitt86 said:

griff17matt said:

Biggest concern is the one of the 2 show runners already quit and is out moving forward. Hopefully it was the other guy you had the faith in, haha.

The guy that left was a director mostly, Miguel Sapochnik. And I believe I read that it was planned that way. He was there to craft the look of the show.
Sierrawolf
Thanks for the rec on Longmire. We are just starting season 4 and have thoroughly enjoyed it so far. Seasons 2 and 3 were great!
Packchem91
Sierrawolf said:

Thanks for the rec on Longmire. We are just starting season 4 and have thoroughly enjoyed it so far. Seasons 2 and 3 were great!

It was one of those shows where I was sad when it ended.
FlossyDFlynt
Really enjoyed the first season of House of the Dragons. The last two episodes really picked up the pace and I cant wait to see where the next season goes
Bell Tower Grey
We just finished The Watcher, based on a true story in New Jersey. Not bad, but more bizarre than anything. Folks buy a house, start receiving letters from someone called The Watcher. Letters become more threatening over time. Apparently the case has never been solved.
dwanna
Bell Tower Grey said:

We just finished The Watcher, based on a true story in New Jersey. Not bad, but more bizarre than anything. Folks buy a house, start receiving letters from someone called The Watcher. Letters become more threatening over time. Apparently the case has never been solved.
I'm a few episodes in on this... It's interesting
Steve Williams
Staff
FlossyDFlynt said:

Really enjoyed the first season of House of the Dragons. The last two episodes really picked up the pace and I cant wait to see where the next season goes
I know it's probably blasphemous to some people but I wasn't impressed. I found the last two episodes to be mildly entertaining but the other eight were just boring if I'm being honest. The only character I find remotely interesting is Daemon. I know it's just laying the ground work for down the road but it was an overall disappointment to me and I absolutely loved GOT.
FlossyDFlynt
Steve Williams said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

I know it's probably blasphemous to some people but I wasn't impressed. I found the last two episodes to be mildly entertaining but the other eight were just boring if I'm being honest. The only character I find remotely interesting is Daemon. I know it's just laying the ground work for down the road but it was an overall disappointment to me and I absolutely loved GOT.
I had no expectations going in (I also havent read the book) and given the last few seasons of GoT, my hopes werent terribly high, but I thought it was well done. Definitely felt like the first season of GoT where they introduced the characters and started the story arc. The end of the season left me looking forward to the next.
jadawson
Steve Williams said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

I would say that with the way they chose to structure the show, the first season was a pretty short part of the book. Some of the events in whole episodes were covered in just a few paragraphs in the book so the show was adding and really stretching some stuff to try to build up the world and the rivalries.

There's going to be no more time jumps so the will be able to really breathe and build up situations like they did in the earlier seasons of Game of Thrones. The plan is for 4 seasons of 10 episodes and the events of the war, or the "Dance of the Dragons", are only like 3 years i believe. Lots more new characters, death, and dragons to come.
griff17matt
jadawson said:

Steve Williams said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

I would say that with the way they chose to structure the show, the first season was a pretty short part of the book. Some of the events in whole episodes were covered in just a few paragraphs in the book so the show was adding and really stretching some stuff to try to build up the world and the rivalries.

There's going to be no more time jumps so the will be able to really breathe and build up situations like they did in the earlier seasons of Game of Thrones. The plan is for 4 seasons of 10 episodes and the events of the war, or the "Dance of the Dragons", are only like 3 years i believe. Lots more new characters, death, and dragons to come.

I would also add that there are a few really, really cool scenes that happen in the book that if they pull them off on a TV show then it will be one of the most incredible things ever done, imo. Given the amount of green screen they will need to do and the CGI necessary. Should be epic from here on out. So even if you weren't impressed with the first season, just know that it was necessary setup for the events that follow and they will be very worth your time *if* they manage to hit the mark.
Packchem91
Just finished Welcome to Wrexham on Hulu (FX). A soccer documentary at the Wrexham Football Club in Wales. A different set up than Sunderland Til I Die, in that it was much more produced -- the show is based on Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney buying the club that is on the edge of collapse, and a whole of it features those two, including interactions with the town, the coach, players, etc. While I much preferred the show when it was about the very blue-collar town, its citizens and the players....i get that the non-soccer fan would be attracted by those two Hollywood guys (along with advertisers!!).

Like Sunderland, you can feel the passion where this sport, and the club's success, is #1, 2, 3, and 4 in the importance in the livelihoods of many of its citizens, and that part makes it fun to watch how they react to every single event.
I'd watch another season, but hope it would be less Ryan/Rob.

Of course, their connections have gotten some Wrexham's games on the ESPN network now, lol. Thats actually pretty cool.
Packchem91
The Old Man, on FX/Hulu.
Loved Jeff Bridges and John Lithgow.

Show would have been fine with just them and the other players,….but when they brought in Amy Brennerman, it was all could do to stay with it. My least favorite actress and she played exactly the martyred role I assumed she would, amd still can't think of the value of what the role even meant.

Overall, kept my interest enough to suck it thru her scenes

FlossyDFlynt
Finally got around to watching All Quiet on the Western Front on Netflix. A tough watch, but enjoyed it. I remember reading the book for school and enjoying it, but I had forgotten about the overall story. Definitely shows the brutality of trench warfare.
SexualChocolate
If you like Harry Potter, then Wednesday is good for you. Also, good for kids.
jkpackfan
If you're a fan of The Godfather then you need to watch The Offer on Apple.

Actually anyone would enjoy it, the cast is excellent.
SexualChocolate
jkpackfan said:

Saw this already and it has great acting and really tells how hard it was to make The Godfather. Great recommendation!
Packchem91
jkpackfan said:

Thanks for reminder. I'd wanted to see this when first hear about it, but then forgot it.

Finishing The white Lotis and will then jump over to this
jkpackfan
SexualChocolate said:

jkpackfan said:

Saw this already and it has great acting and really tells how hard it was to make The Godfather. Great recommendation!
I know I had no idea what they had to go through.
jkpackfan
Packchem91 said:

jkpackfan said:

Thanks for reminder. I'd wanted to see this when first hear about it, but then forgot it.

Finishing The white Lotis and will then jump over to this
You won't be disappointed. How is White Lotus?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.