Amazon/Netflix series recommendations

127,627 Views | 1050 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by Bockwinkle
FlossyDFlynt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
statefan91 said:

As a Star Wars fan, where do you land on Rogue One? It's one of my favorite Star Wars films, especially for the Vader scene.
As far as movies go, its the best since the original. One of the few movies I have seen where I knew what would happen and was still hooked. Great movie
statefan91
FlossyDFlynt said:

statefan91 said:

As a Star Wars fan, where do you land on Rogue One? It's one of my favorite Star Wars films, especially for the Vader scene.
As far as movies go, its the best since the original. One of the few movies I have seen where I knew what would happen and was still hooked. Great movie
Agreed! I actually didn't know what would happen outside of the schematics being delivered. Really enjoyed the characters introduced even if they were short lived.
Packchem91
Steve Williams said:

dogplasma said:

It's been around a while I think, but we just started watching The Crown on Netflix. The first season, at least, is really excellent, especially if you're the type that had any interest in Downton Abbey or the like.

Break Bad is certainly one of the great TV dramas of all time. I only watched it because I got hooked on Better Call Saul first, which I think is equally good IMO.
Wife is bugging me about watching The Crown.
Do it. Its really a great show. The first season is amazing because it gives you perspective on the amount of change one of the most famous people in the world has seen during her reign - from the 1950s to 2020. Exponential order of change as compared to her predecessors.

But the moments of history are really cool to see.
ncsualum05
statefan91 said:

Rogue one was awesome. The best film since the originals. It did a fantastic job of tying into the original trilogy. You found yourself invested in characters and they all had to die to get the mission accomplished. It was much more than just... the heroes get what they want and get out in the nick of time cliches. And of course Vador at the end... good lord.

Rogue one was very well done. Solo was not well done although I didn't think it was a huge stinker like some did. But none the less that put a screeching halt to stand alone movies.
statefan91
Agreed on all points, though I wish we could've had Mads Mikkelsen and Ben Mendelsohn in the universe for longer
Sierrawolf
I know I'm late to the party on this but recently started The Last Kingdom on Netflix. It has been really good so far. Planning on watching The Expanse next.
cowboypack02
statefan91 said:

I could take of leave most of the movie but that Vader scene is probably one of my favorite move scenes of all time
statefan91
Sierrawolf said:

I know I'm late to the party on this but recently started The Last Kingdom on Netflix. It has been really good so far. Planning on watching The Expanse next.
This is one I want to get on but don't know if I have enough time to dedicate to it.

I still have 2 seasons of The Americans to watch.

I also started watching a show last night on HBO Max that was pretty fun:

packgrad
statefan91 said:

Sierrawolf said:

This is one I want to get on but don't know if I have enough time to dedicate to it.

I still have 2 seasons of The Americans to watch.

I also started watching a show last night on HBO Max that was pretty fun:

First season of Warrior is awesome (I think. It's been a while). I haven't watched the second season. It was originally on skinemax. I canceled their service before watching the second season. Literally JUST LAST NIGHT I saw it was on HBO MAX and put it in my queue. I was pretty excited so I feel confident that season 1 was good. I'm going to binge it here soon.

I'm way behind on the Americans too. I need to watch that one and put it to bed. Another very enjoyable series.
statefan91
I just watched Episode 1 last night so glad to have a couple seasons to watch.
ncsualum05
Sierrawolf said:

The Last Kingdom is awesome. It keeps getting better.
statefan91
ncsualum05 said:

Sierrawolf said:

Sort of related, but a couple months ago I watched the Director's Cut of "Kingdom of God" and it was awesome. Over 3 hrs I think and worth every minute.
JocoPack
ncsualum05 said:

statefan91 said:

Rogue one was awesome. The best film since the originals. It did a fantastic job of tying into the original trilogy. You found yourself invested in characters and they all had to die to get the mission accomplished. It was much more than just... the heroes get what they want and get out in the nick of time cliches. And of course Vador at the end... good lord.

Rogue one was very well done. Solo was not well done although I didn't think it was a huge stinker like some did. But none the less that put a screeching halt to stand alone movies.

I agree. Rogue One is one of the better films in the franchise. It honestly did a couple of important things really really well IMO. The first is it told a story that we all knew about and wanted to know, and did it right. It affects how you feel when you watch ep IV now. The second is it made Vader out to be the badass he is. It fills in the blank to help you understand how Vader went from the limbless dude burning on Mustafar to the ultra-feared sith lord he is in the OT. The Vader comic series really fleshes it out even more for anyone interested.
dogplasma
NM. I responded to a super old post without realizing it was old. Carry on.
FlossyDFlynt
Watched the first two episodes of WandaVision. I dont know what I was expecting, but that wasnt it. It was still good, but way different than anything else Marvel has done (that I have seen, at least).
fhstatefan43
I've been watching "Better Call Saul" and I love it! Already in to season 2
wilmwolf
Based on what I've read of the comics, they are setting up what should be a way more interesting premise going forward. Going into it without knowing that, it was definitely pretty confusing as to what they were actually going for, but after reading up on it it makes a little more sense. It's a pretty big risk on their part, because if I didn't really like the MCU, I probably would've stopped after the first episode and moved on to something else. I'm hoping it picks up some from here on out.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
FlossyDFlynt
There was enough nuggets to keep me interested. It wasnt bad, but it was so out of left field it caught me off guard. Given Marvels record with TV (Daredevil, Jessica Jones, etc), I will definitely finish the season out. It is kind of refreshing to watch a Marvel show without the faintest idea where its going
caryking
fhstatefan43 said:

I've been watching "Better Call Saul" and I love it! Already in to season 2
That's a real good series. I haven't watch Breaking Bad; so, I'm happy I watched this before as it tells the story of a few characters...
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
statefan91
dogplasma said:

NM. I responded to a super old post without realizing it was old. Carry on.

All good - I saw your post and hope everyone watches The Boys
ncsualum05
OK so I'm getting to a point where I need to figure out how to prioritize my shows. I need some new things to start. So can anyone give me an opinion on which I should do first or get most excited about or maybe even don't waste my time with? I'm considering...

Yellowstone
Ozark
Warrior
See (I tried the first episode of that and didn't really like it so I think I'm done with that)
The Morning Show

Thoughts?
CLTWolf
ncsualum05 said:

OK so I'm getting to a point where I need to figure out how to prioritize my shows. I need some new things to start. So can anyone give me an opinion on which I should do first or get most excited about or maybe even don't waste my time with? I'm considering...

Yellowstone
Ozark
Warrior
See (I tried the first episode of that and didn't really like it so I think I'm done with that)
The Morning Show

Thoughts?

Ozark
Morning Show
Yellowstone
See- I really liked it, TBH.

Haven't seen Warrior, can't help you there.

Edited to add that the first 3 are all amazing must watch, doesn't really matter the order.

Billy Crudup's character in the Morning Show is one of the best in any show in a while, IMO. He does an amazing job, it's a shame he's a tarhole.
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
jkpackfan
ncsualum05 said:

Yellowstone
Ozark
Warrior
The Morning Show

Thoughts?
Yellowstone
Ozark
The rest
Packchem91
ncsualum05 said:

Yellowstone
Ozark
Warrior
The Morning Show

Thoughts?
Ozark
The Morning Show
Yellowstone.

Not familiar with other two. I like Yellowstone more than The Morning Show (which was also very enjoyable), but after Ozark, you'll need a break from all that before you start up Yellowstone.
Even w/o all the other really good characters on Ozark, the tension between Jason Bateman and Laura Linney's characters (husband and wife) is worth the watch. And Ben Davis in the role of Linney's brother in the 3rd season is about as good a job as I watched last year.

For The Morning Show, while I know it was Hollywood, I find myself watching national news shows with a little bit different lens now...at least the evening news, as I've never actually watched any of the morning ones
statefan91
Haven't seen the others but Warrior is awesome
ncsualum05
Thanks to all. I went with Ozark first... holy hell what a start to that show! I think i'll be pretty busy with that one for a while then I'll move to Yellowstone.
James Henderson
Staff
Not a full series, but we watched the Night Stalker series on Netflix and it was damn good.
IseWolf22
ncsualum05 said:

Sierrawolf said:

I still really like the Last Kingdom, but IMO they miscast Uhtred pretty badly if you were a fan of the books. He's supposed to be a massive brute. People underestimate his intelligence due to his looks and he always outsmarts them.

If anyone likes reading historical fiction, take a look at the last Kingdom and other books by the author, Bernard Cornwell. His reimagining of King Artur, the Warlord Chronicles, is one of my favorite trilogies of all time.
Steve Williams
Staff
Recently watched The Undoing. I thought it was definitely worth watching. I have to admit that all of the face work Nicole Kidman has had was a little distracting at times. BTW, if you've never seen it, would highly recommend watching Kidman in Dead Calm- one of my all-time favorite movies and one of her first. You can thank me later.

Also, started The Outsider on HBO Max. So far, pretty good. Stephen King adaptations always seem to be hit or miss but this one has started off pretty good.
statefan91
I would recommend subtitles for The Outsider because Mendalson mumbles a bit . The book was good but I didn't love the HBO series.
packwest
Ozarks gets better over time as well. No let down after season 1.

Have not seen Yellowstone yet...on my list.

We're halfway through Morning Show and I've really enjoyed it. Mark Duplass from the League is awesome in it.
"The NCAA's business model would be flatly illegal in almost every other industry in America...The NCAA is not above the law."

Murphy vs. NCAA, 594 U.S. ____ (2021)
jkpackfan
James Henderson said:

Not a full series, but we watched the Night Stalker series on Netflix and it was damn good.
Yeah I really enjoyed this.

I just wrapped up Ray Donovan and thought it was good as well.
Ground_Chuck
If you apple tv+, I really recommend Ted Lasso. Its a hilarious 0.5 hr show starting Jason Sudeikis.

He plays a DII football coach hired to coach a premier league soccer team.

Its just a really enjoyable show.
WolfQuacker
Ground_Chuck said:

If you apple tv+, I really recommend Ted Lasso. Its a hilarious 0.5 hr show starting Jason Sudeikis.

He plays a DII football coach hired to coach a premier league soccer team.

Its just a really enjoyable show.
+1
braz213
Yes, Ted Lasso is great and I highly recommend.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.