Amazon/Netflix series recommendations

127,766 Views | 1052 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by BigBarryWood
RunsWithWolves26
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sierrawolf said:

Just finished Season 1 of Outlander on Netflix. All I can say is wow...it's captivating but also makes me sick to my stomach.

Man, you have no idea what you are in store for. We are ready for the new season to come out. Hang on because it's about to get even crazier for you. Also, in full disclosure, your stomach will get much sicker as well.
packgrad
Insomnia post.

Fresh Prince of Bel-Air Reunion

Somewhat touching recap of the show. Somewhat forced in some instances, but overall a nice recap. Lovely tribute to Uncle Phil. Closed the book nicely with the OG Aunt Viv. And she still looks amazing.

By far, one of my favorite series on tv. Still rewatch the series often. Heck, going to start it over again now. Won't find a more touching scene on tv than Will and Phil when his dad left him again. Will and Carlton were comedic gold.

Hillary is older, but still has it. Ashley has thickened up, but still beautiful. Happy to see Will has put on a smidge of weight, for all of us mid 40s guys. Carlton looks pretty much the same. Jazz, the same. Aunt Viv, the sequel, defies the black don't crack theme. Jeffrey looks older, but pretty much the same. Huge hole missing Uncle Phil.

Just a great show.
AlleyPack
Just finished the third season of Ozark.
Good show, good acting, lots of great moments -- but also makes you feel uncomfortable at times.

Gonna go back through this thread and see what else I might have missed lately.

Oh -- just to throw out a suggestion of my own: Bosch.
Detective series; there are like 5-6 seasons. Really good, especially if you're into the cop/detective types of shows.
hokiewolf
Anybody watch ZeroZeroZero on Amazon Prime? Really entertaining 1st season
jkpackfan
hokiewolf said:

Yeah I really liked this. Looking forward to season 2

I'm two seasons in on Turn Washington's Spies and I'm really liking it so far.
statefan91
hokiewolf said:

Yep - churned through it pretty quick about 6 months ago. Looking forward to more.

Has anyone watched Black Sails? Had that recommended to me and am thinking of starting it up.
Steve Williams
Staff
statefan91 said:

hokiewolf said:

Yep - churned through it pretty quick about 6 months ago. Looking forward to more.

Has anyone watched Black Sails? Had that recommended to me and am thinking of starting it up.
My wife loved it. I started it and just kinda lost interest.
dogplasma
Watched the first and only season of Tales From The Loop on Amazon. It's a weird low-key sci-fi series with a Twilight Zone feel. Each episode more or less stands alone except that the episodes and characters all tie together somehow. I really wanted to like it because it's visually well done but the stories are too consistently depressing to make me want to watch more.
Steve Williams
Staff
Finished Queens Gambit tonight. Like everyone else, highly recommend.
caryking
Steve Williams said:

Finished Queens Gambit tonight. Like everyone else, highly recommend.
Yes, it was excellent... Working on Peaky Blinders right now...
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
RunsWithWolves26
I watched peaky blinders but just couldn't get into it.
CLTWolf
RunsWithWolves26 said:

Me either. I just can't do the english accent.
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
statefan91
CLTWolf said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Subtitles. Subtitles on everything.
CLTWolf
statefan91 said:

CLTWolf said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Subtitles. Subtitles on everything.
It's not that. I can't stand hearing it. It's a "me" thing and I get that.

As a father of 3 lil kids that are loud AF, we have subtitles going on everything. haha
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
packgrad
Man, Peaky Blinders is awesome.

Started watching a YouTube series called Wayne. Thought it would be b rate acting. Not at all. Just a couple episodes in, and enjoying it.
Steve Williams
Staff
Started Netflix series called Disappearance at the Cecil Hotel. Really interesting (and weird) thus far.
JocoPack
Steve Williams said:

Started Netflix series called Disappearance at the Cecil Hotel. Really interesting (and weird) thus far.
I've got a little left in that....very creepy indeed. I think someone working there withheld info.

I think I remember seeing it mentioned earlier in the thread, but the wife and I finished up Ted Lasso on AppleTV. We really enjoyed it.
Packchem91
Steve Williams said:

statefan91 said:

hokiewolf said:

This was me with Outsider on HBO. I loved the Stephen King book on which it is based. And the first episode was buzzing...but since then, kinda struggling to want to keep watching
Packchem91
The best show I've seen in a long while - Ted Lasso. I thought it would be dumb. Watched one episode with wife only half paying attention, and then got hooked after that.
I now want to go back and rewatch it to pick up on all the many nuances worked into 300 minutes of TV.

What a well-written, nuanced show, that actually has you genuinely pulling for characters based on their human goodness.
statefan91
Same for me on Outsider - I did the audiobook a while back and it was chilling. The HBO series was just boring unfortunately
ncsualum05
Packchem91 said:

The best show I've seen in a long while - Ted Lasso. I thought it would be dumb. Watched one episode with wife only half paying attention, and then got hooked after that.
I now want to go back and rewatch it to pick up on all the many nuances worked into 300 minutes of TV.

What a well-written, nuanced show, that actually has you genuinely pulling for characters based on their human goodness.
Yeah I love Ted Lasso. Wasn't at all what I expected. Very atypical Jason S. type role. The positivity of his character is contagious and fun to watch. Plus British humor aspect is funny. A slow talking guy from Kansas who knows nothing about soccer coaching soccer in England.... just a funny set up.
Steve Williams
Staff
Packchem91 said:

Steve Williams said:

statefan91 said:

hokiewolf said:

This was me with Outsider on HBO. I loved the Stephen King book on which it is based. And the first episode was buzzing...but since then, kinda struggling to want to keep watching
Agree completely. Started off great and then went downhill from there. Stephen King books are so hit or miss as to whether they'll translate to TV.
cmast
Sierrawolf said:

Just finished Season 1 of Outlander on Netflix. All I can say is wow...it's captivating but also makes me sick to my stomach.

Yep. Starts a bit slow, but really liking it heading into season 2.
JocoPack
Yeah there were many aspects of Ted Lasso that I wasn't expecting. Very surprised at the depth of the show, in a good way.
Packchem91
statefan91 said:

Have started watching "Dead To Me" on Netflix and it's pretty entertaining

Didn't think I would like it, but it was so funny.
Packchem91
JocoPack said:

Yeah there were many aspects of Ted Lasso that I wasn't expecting. Very surprised at the depth of the show, in a good way.

Started it a 2nd time last night and got wife to watch it with me. At end of first episode, when Ted calls his son and wife...it was so "real" and counter to the first 25 minutes of the episode, that I found tears in my eyes. I missed the depth of that my first time thru
ncsualum05
Anyone watch the Zach Snyder Justice League on HBO Max? It was damn good. 4 hours but broken into parts where you could leave off and pick up pretty easily.

Man if only the original Justice League movie would've been that version. Then the DC universe might've actually gone somewhere. DC by and large has sucked other than this.
ncsualum05
On another note.. .a Marvel note, Falcon and Winter Soldier premiere was pretty good. I liked Wandavision but it was good to see some good ole fashion MCU action right out the gate again. Really love the actor that plays Falcon... he's great (can't remember name). The end scene was a massive slap in the face to our heroes as well if you watched episode 1.
statefan91
ncsualum05 said:

Anyone watch the Zach Snyder Justice League on HBO Max? It was damn good. 4 hours but broken into parts where you could leave off and pick up pretty easily.

Man if only the original Justice League movie would've been that version. Then the DC universe might've actually gone somewhere. DC by and large has sucked other than this.

My wife and I watched it spread out over a couple nights. It was good, sort of slow, dark, moody, brooding, etc. There was a lot that I couldn't take seriously but also had to remind myself it's a comic book movie and not to take it seriously.

I did find the story of Steppenwolf gathering the Mother Boxes for Darkseid to combine them into ultimate devastation eerily similar to Thanos's sidekicks trying to around and gather the Infinity Stones for Thanos to combine them into ultimate devastation to be really, really similar storylines.
caryking
Packchem91 said:

statefan91 said:

Have started watching "Dead To Me" on Netflix and it's pretty entertaining

Didn't think I would like it, but it was so funny.
My wife and I really enjoyed Dead To Me...
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
RunsWithWolves26
I second this.
braz213
Started watching Zero after seeing it recommended. Really good and different.
Packchem91
Re: Dead to Me -- the Christina Applegate character was so funny.
SexualChocolate
Don't knock it but Good Girls on Netflix is actually really good.
FlossyDFlynt
Finished the third season of Drive to Survive. Even if you arent an F1 fan, this series is fantastically done. Would definitely recommend it

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.