Amazon/Netflix series recommendations

127,745 Views | 1052 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by BigBarryWood
dwanna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
On Amazon Prime, check out "Loudermilk". It stars Ron Livingston as a recovering alcoholic who leads an AA type group. It has a pretty good cast and some super funny moments/scenes. They have 2 season up, and a 3rd should drop at some point as well.

Show just got on Amazon Prime within the last couple weeks, so I was super pumped to find it there.
Packchem91
About 2/3 of way thru the new season of Last Chance U. I didn't think I'd like the change from FB to BB, but its been great. Best season, most intriguing characters since the very first season at EMCC.

I do wonder....if the head coach John Mosley -- the way he carries on at some of the practices -- if that is a common occurrence at the Div1 level, or if this is more of a requirement in Juco. I'd like to think Coach Keatts isn't having guys roll eyes and ignore him the way some of these kids do.
dwanna
Packchem91 said:

About 2/3 of way thru the new season of Last Chance U. I didn't think I'd like the change from FB to BB, but its been great. Best season, most intriguing characters since the very first season at EMCC.

I do wonder....if the head coach John Mosley -- the way he carries on at some of the practices -- if that is a common occurrence at the Div1 level, or if this is more of a requirement in Juco. I'd like to think Coach Keatts isn't having guys roll eyes and ignore him the way some of these kids do.
I will have to check that out. Some of the FB ones almost seemed like a trainwreck I couldn't look away from, but more than anything, I just end up feeling bad for what some of the kids have to go through.
hokiewolf
dwanna said:

On Amazon Prime, check out "Loudermilk". It stars Ron Livingston as a recovering alcoholic who leads an AA type group. It has a pretty good cast and some super funny moments/scenes. They have 2 season up, and a 3rd should drop at some point as well.

Show just got on Amazon Prime within the last couple weeks, so I was super pumped to find it there.
Loudermilk is amazing
Steve Williams
Staff
A few episodes into The Last Kingdom. Pretty good thus far.
wilmwolf
I enjoyed that one.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Scwuffpak
Steve Williams said:

A few episodes into The Last Kingdom. Pretty good thus far.
That one is really good. Finished it up a few weeks ago. Just finished The Ranch. That is a good one as well.

packgrad
I quit watching the Ranch once the Masterson guy was kicked off. Was it still good? Thought he was hilarious and a huge part of the show so quit watching thinking it wouldn't be as good. Worth it to pick it back up?
Scwuffpak
packgrad said:

I quit watching the Ranch once the Masterson guy was kicked off. Was it still good? Thought he was hilarious and a huge part of the show so quit watching thinking it wouldn't be as good. Worth it to pick it back up?
I was a little worried when he left the show but I thought they did a good job with the change. I would pick it back up. Still some pretty funny stuff.
BollNCSU
Has anyone else seen Gangland Undercover? It is AWESOME. It is based on the stories from Charles Falco, an FBI informant who infiltrated 2 different motorcycle outlaw clubs. 2 seasons - I can't recommend it enough. It's the most intense show I've seen. You can watch for free on Sling or pay on Amazon, or YouTube, or Apple. Don't let the fact it's not free keep you from watching it - it's worth it!
ncsualum05
packgrad said:

I watched it until the end. It was still fine but no not as good when they killed off Masterson. And it seemed in later seasons that the show became less funny and much more a serious drama. Almost like a ranching version of Grey's Anatomy. Even if she's not what she once though Elisha Cuthbert always has a special place in my... heart.
FlossyDFlynt
Watched Mortal Kombat this afternoon. As long as you dont take it too seriously, its a good time. Its dumb, over the top gory, and does just enough fan service. If you are a fan of the series, it hits the marks
statefan91
FlossyDFlynt said:

Watched Mortal Kombat this afternoon. As long as you dont take it too seriously, its a good time. Its dumb, over the top gory, and does just enough fan service. If you are a fan of the series, it hits the marks

Yeah - it was dumb and honestly should have been more gory, but appreciated the fan service
FlossyDFlynt
It was mindless entertainment. I went into it with similar expectations I had for The Expendables and both did exactly what I expected and I enjoyed both. Sometimes its great to just watch an over the top dumb action movie
Andrew4343
Don't watch Stowaway on Netflix...really boring.
ncsualum05
Saw Mortal Kombat last night. It was satisfactory for what it was. Nostalgic if you grew up playing the games. Not good overall. Less cheesy than the movies they came out with back in the 90s for sure.
Packchem91
Beartown on HBO.

5-part miniseries based on the Fredrik Backman book by same title. Set in remote small town in Sweden that is falling apart (like so many small towns), but still has an over-the-top loyal following of the local youth hockey team.
And as that regains success which vitalizes the town, an event occurs which tears it all apart.

Its all in Swedish, so you have to read the subtitles, and especially in group scenes, its not always clear who is the one talking, but that was ok. Very well done. The central characters, whom are played by people you've never heard of, can't be as well-developed as they are in a book, but are done well enough that they make impacts.

This town's passion for hockey, and while you may not be a hockey fan, the story resonates because what they are willing to do to sustain their passion/success (and overlook things) has to rival anything you'd hear in small town Alabama / Texas football, or Indiana basketball, etc.
metcalfmafia
Has anyone watched His Dark Materials? Its a good show but man it's atheist undertones make me feel kind of slimy for watching. I'm typically able to look past these things.
statefan91
metcalfmafia said:

Has anyone watched His Dark Materials? Its a good show but man it's atheist undertones make me feel kind of slimy for watching. I'm typically able to look past these things.
I read the books so knew what to expect with the show. The first season wasn't very good, I much preferred the second.

The book series is very much critical of the Catholic Church and the Magisterium is just a stand-in for it. I would say it's not atheist in that it recognizes God / Adam & Eve / etc., it's more against the church specifically.
ncsualum05
metcalfmafia said:

Good show. Season 2 much more interesting than season 1. The big bad magisterium is obviously a knock against Catholics but I try not to wrap myself up in those things when I watch a fantasy show. I could pick apart about all TV now if I wanted to with the cultural undertones.
metcalfmafia
statefan91 said:

metcalfmafia said:

I read the books so knew what to expect with the show. The first season wasn't very good, I much preferred the second.

The book series is very much critical of the Catholic Church and the Magisterium is just a stand-in for it. I would say it's not atheist in that it recognizes God / Adam & Eve / etc., it's more against the church specifically.
Maybe Atheist isn't the word, but when the premise of the show is to start another "Great War" with "The Authority" (AKA God), it feels pretty sacrilegious.
metcalfmafia
ncsualum05 said:

metcalfmafia said:

Good show. Season 2 much more interesting than season 1. The big bad magisterium is obviously a knock against Catholics but I try not to wrap myself up in those things when I watch a fantasy show. I could pick apart about all TV now if I wanted to with the cultural undertones.
Yes you can tell the author's grievances with the catholic church, but the battle with the Magisterium is only one part of the show. It's wanting to start a war with "The Authority" that I have the beef with. You know?
ncsualum05
metcalfmafia said:

ncsualum05 said:

metcalfmafia said:

Yes you can tell the author's grievances with the catholic church, but the battle with the Magisterium is only one part of the show. It's wanting to start a war with "The Authority" that I have the beef with. You know?
Yes. I got you.
packwest
Speaking of book series that were popular and had a generally catastrophic first-take on the big-screen:

Ender's Game, the book, is awesome.

Ender's Game, the movie, is a hot steaming pile of garbage.

Someone should really give that a whirl again as a TV series.

IseWolf22
metcalfmafia said:

statefan91 said:

metcalfmafia said:

Maybe Atheist isn't the word, but when the premise of the show is to start another "Great War" with "The Authority" (AKA God), it feels pretty sacrilegious.
I see what you mean, but "The Authority" is a very different God than the one most Christians believe in. The Authority does enough stuff that makes you want to root against it, but also IMO, divorces it enough from my conception that it's easy to compartmentalize as fiction.

I'm basing all this off the books though. I have not watched the show.
metcalfmafia
IseWolf22 said:

metcalfmafia said:

statefan91 said:

metcalfmafia said:

I see what you mean, but "The Authority" is a very different God than the one most Christians believe in. The Authority does enough stuff that makes you want to root against it, but also IMO, divorces it enough from my conception that it's easy to compartmentalize as fiction.

IMO the show give you no context around The Authority other than Lord Asriel wants to destroy it to "end tyranny and control". The show provides all kinds of context around The Magesterium to make you want them destroyed, but nothing around The Authority.
IseWolf22
metcalfmafia said:

IseWolf22 said:

metcalfmafia said:

statefan91 said:

metcalfmafia said:

IMO the show give you no context around The Authority other than Lord Asriel wants to destroy it to "end tyranny and control". The show provides all kinds of context around The Magesterium to make you want them destroyed, but nothing around The Authority.
That might come later. In the books a lot of stuff about the Authority comes out later in the trilogy and it justifies Lord Asriel's fight a little more
statefan91
metcalfmafia said:

IseWolf22 said:

I would just treat it as a fantasy show and disconnect the ties to catholicism, especially to the show. The show very much is set up to show you that the magisterium is an evil organization and there's not really any grey to it.
WolfQuacker
This is a Robbery - Netflix

2 Episodes in so far and really digging it. It could wind up being a flop, will report back. So far, it's kept me really intrigued and I don't think the trailer sold it well enough, IMO.
FlossyDFlynt
Finished Spycraft on Netflix. Really, really fascinating look into the world of spies
jkpackfan
For those with Apple + Ted Lasso is really good.
statefan91
jkpackfan said:

I will echo this every time someone mentions it. Season 2 comes out late July.
metcalfmafia
Season 4 of Handmaid's Tale started a couple of days ago. Haven't had a chance to watch.
ncsualum05
statefan91 said:

jkpackfan said:

Yes. I don't watch much on Apple but Ted Lasso was awesome. It's funny but also uplifting. Can't wait for season 2.
Packchem91
statefan91 said:

jkpackfan said:

I didn't realize the timing of the new season -- that is great to hear.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.