Amazon/Netflix series recommendations

125,718 Views | 1044 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by statefan91
cowboypack02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I started watching The Last Ship on Hulu a few weeks ago. Very good show
SexualChocolate
A must watch is the Queens Gambit. You can thank me later.
packgrad
SexualChocolate said:

No doubt. I did not expect to love it, but I did.
RunsWithWolves26
SexualChocolate said:

1000% agree. My wife ask me if I wanted to watch it and I glanced and said probably not. She started it and within 15 mins I couldn't stop watching. Great show.
WolfQuacker
SexualChocolate said:

Binged the **** out of that and Ted Lasso
statefan91
WolfQuacker said:

SexualChocolate said:

Binged the **** out of that and Ted Lasso
TED LASSO is the best. Really nice to have a wholesome / funny / enjoyable show to binge through.
FlossyDFlynt
Its older, but finally got around to watching HBO's Andre the Giant documentary. Really well done, enjoyed it
barnburner
Been watching Kim's Convenience set in Toronto about a Korean convenience store owner (Mr Kim) that is sort of a modern day Archie Bunker. Very funny from the get go.
Packchem91
The Son on Hulu. Really good show, especially if like western-type shows (Texas). Yellowstone fans should like it.

Finishing Fargo, S4 on Netflix as well. Not as witty as the movie and first 3 seasons of the show. Those relied a good bit on comic relief of the tension....that doesn't exist in S4 (despite having Chris Rock as one of the leads)

The Undoing on HBO. Nicole Kidman and Hugh Grant. Only 6 episodes.
statefan91
How was Season 3 of Fargo? I watched 1 and 2, didn't really get into 3, but enjoyed 4.
cowboypack02
cowboypack02 said:

I started watching The Last Ship on Hulu a few weeks ago. Very good show
Just finished this. Ended up being a great show
Steve Williams
Staff
What is Queen's Gambit on and what is the premise? About to finish Yellowstone and was thinking of checking out Vikings but may give this a look.
Steve Williams
Staff
BTW, can't remember if I posted or not but we watched Fortitude and I would definitely recommend.
cowboypack02
Steve Williams said:

BTW, can't remember if I posted or not but we watched Fortitude and I would definitely recommend.
I watched the first season, but haven't watched the second yet.
cowboypack02
Steve Williams said:

What is Queen's Gambit on and what is the premise? About to finish Yellowstone and was thinking of checking out Vikings but may give this a look.
I watched the first couple of seasons of Vikings and really enjoyed it. I would recommend picking it up
packgrad
Steve Williams said:

A girl chess player. Sounds awful. It is not. It is a great series. I don't want to give any details other than watch it.
packgrad
I also started The Son on Hulu. Thanks for the tip. Enjoying it so far.
SexualChocolate
Steve Williams said:

It is on Netflix and Prime.
ncsualum05
Steve Williams said:

I just finished the final season of Vikings. It's good and you should watch but it's a lot of seasons to binge. I will say that the first few seasons are much better than the last couple. I actually like The Last Kingdom more than Vikings.

As for Queen's Gambit I had no interest in this show but with all these people on here pumping it up maybe I should give it a try.
Tobaccoroadsportscafe
Anybody watching "Your Honor" on Showtime? It's pretty good.

I also agree with everybody on Queens Gambit. It took me a while to start it because I didn't think I'd be into it, but it was amazing.
RunsWithWolves26
packgrad said:

Steve Williams said:

A girl chess player. Sounds awful. It is not. It is a great series. I don't want to give any details other than watch it.

Perfect discription. Sounds awful but damn, it will hook you.
CLTWolf
Tobaccoroadsportscafe said:

Anybody watching "Your Honor" on Showtime? It's pretty good.

I also agree with everybody on Queens Gambit. It took me a while to start it because I didn't think I'd be into it, but it was amazing.
I balked on it at first b/c I thought it was going to be some stuffy British BS but when I finally saw a preview and didn't hear those awful accents, I gave it a shot. Glad I did.
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
jkpackfan
Vikings is good stuff. Finished it last night.
Packchem91
statefan91 said:

How was Season 3 of Fargo? I watched 1 and 2, didn't really get into 3, but enjoyed 4.
I thought 3 and 4 were far behind 1 and 2.

Season 4 (I have 2-3 episodes left) is getting better as it goes, it's just different from what I expected. Not that I envisioned a Chris Rock standup routine, but at least some of the little regional witticisms that made the first seasons so enjoyable.

As for S3, the characters just weren't as enjoyable as S1 & 2. It was fine, but at a different level.
Packchem91
packgrad said:

I had read the book years ago and thought it fascinating - moreso about life with the Comanches than anything.
I'll just say I'm glad I didn't have to be a western pioneer back in the 1830's - 1880's. That was a risky business.
packgrad
Packchem91 said:

packgrad said:

I had read the book years ago and thought it fascinating - moreso about life with the Comanches than anything.
I'll just say I'm glad I didn't have to be a western pioneer back in the 1830's - 1880's. That was a risky business.

Jeez. No kidding. Living wasn't easy, but freaking dying was downright terrible often.
Packchem91
packgrad said:

Packchem91 said:

packgrad said:

Jeez. No kidding. Living wasn't easy, but freaking dying was downright terrible often.
Yep, just finished reading Killing Crazy Horse, latest in series by Bill O'Reilly, and years ago, reading The Son triggered me to read Empire of the Summer Moon, which is all about the Comanches. They, and the Sioux and the other tribes of the Plains were some merciless people. (As was the US Army when it was killing them, often in retaliation).
packgrad
Heard about Empire of the Summer Moon on Rogan a while back. Keep meaning to add that to the list. Thanks for the reminder.
JocoPack
I'll give another big +1 for The Queen's Gambit. Went in expecting to be entirely disinterested but ended up loving it. Cannot recommend enough.

I've recently re-binged Breaking Bad....the next episode on queue is "Ozymandias"...man my heart is pumping just thinking about it. Such a great show* for anyone who hasn't watched.

*Great show as in one of the best I have ever seen.
curmudgeon.zen
The Expanse on Amazon Prime. Outstanding. Vikings, also on Prime...also outstanding. Cobra Kai on Netflix, if you are a fan of the 80s. And obviously, The Mandolorian.
Log off. Go outside.
Steve Williams
Staff
curmudgeon.zen said:

The Expanse on Amazon Prime. Outstanding. Vikings, also on Prime...also outstanding. Cobra Kai on Netflix, if you are a fan of the 80s. And obviously, The Mandolorian.
Yeah, I thought Mandalorian was great this year and really had a lot of original Star Wars feel to it.
ncsualum05
Steve Williams said:

curmudgeon.zen said:

Yeah, I thought Mandalorian was great this year and really had a lot of original Star Wars feel to it.
We could have a whole Star Wars dedicated thread for me to talk about this. But yes the Mandalorian in my opinion is the great Star Wars reset that is saving the franchise. I love the show. Episodes 7, 8, and 9 were incredibly huge mistakes and Disney did not know what the hell they were doing when they first bought Lucasfilm. It was all about making a lot of money... which they did, but they put out a terrible product.

On another note... Cobra Kai keeps getting better. Netflix took it to a level Youtube hadn't. Well done and definitely good nostalgia involved without seeming too terribly forced. Yes it's a bit corny but you watch it b/c you loved Karate Kid. It's supposed to be a little corny.
dogplasma
It's been around a while I think, but we just started watching The Crown on Netflix. The first season, at least, is really excellent, especially if you're the type that had any interest in Downton Abbey or the like.

Break Bad is certainly one of the great TV dramas of all time. I only watched it because I got hooked on Better Call Saul first, which I think is equally good IMO.
Steve Williams
Staff
dogplasma said:

It's been around a while I think, but we just started watching The Crown on Netflix. The first season, at least, is really excellent, especially if you're the type that had any interest in Downton Abbey or the like.

Break Bad is certainly one of the great TV dramas of all time. I only watched it because I got hooked on Better Call Saul first, which I think is equally good IMO.
Wife is bugging me about watching The Crown.
statefan91
As a Star Wars fan, where do you land on Rogue One? It's one of my favorite Star Wars films, especially for the Vader scene.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.